PDA

View Full Version : predators and hides?

llloyd
11-25-2009, 03:01 PM
I'm planning on trying to get some predators, lynx bobcat coyote or wolf. I've done a lot of research on the hunting side, but I'm not really clear on what to do afterwards. I'd like to get furs made into some throw rugs or blankets, that kind of thing. What kind of preparation is required, and who in the lower mainland can do the tanning etc? I've heard alot of the taxidermists simply won't go near it unless its a full mount.

Brett
11-25-2009, 03:15 PM
search for a tannery, there is one called (chilcotin) sp? and they list prices on there web site

EvanG
11-25-2009, 07:57 PM
http://www.cftannery.com/index.html

Pete
11-25-2009, 11:48 PM
If you haven't done it yourself, try to align yourself with someone that can skin out your fur for tanning. Tannerys charge bigtime to skin out lips, noses, paws and turn ears. Some Taxidermists will skin out your hide for you but they will charge you for the service. The one good thing is that they may let you stay and watch so that you can learn to do it for yourself. No head shots. Leaves lots of smaller bone fragments on the hide which can be a real pain when we are fleshing out.

snareman1234
11-26-2009, 10:14 AM
I dont know where you live, but I am a trapper, and could definately give you some pointers on skinning it out and how to deal with it

llloyd
11-26-2009, 11:30 AM
I'm in Vancouver, hunting in princeton/merritt