PDA

View Full Version : Moose breakfast sausage

chola
11-24-2009, 11:02 PM
I just whipped up a 5 pound batch and gave it the fry test...WOW....even the wife liked it...never took any pics as I dropped my digital camera and am in search of a new one.

Anyway,here is the recipe if anyone wants to give er a go...

3 lbs lean ground..moose, elk, deer etc..
2 lbs Bulk bacon end trimmings, 5 pound box from the grocery store
1 TB salt
1 TB sage
1.5 tsp Nutmeg
1.5 tsp Thyme
1.5 tsp White Pepper
.5 tsp Ginger
1 cup Ice Water

I used the 3/16 plate to grind the bacon, the moose was previously ground with the same

Mix all spices in with the water then add to meat/bacon mixture.
Place in covered container overnight(plastic) letting the flavours meld.
Stuff into casings or you can form into patties.
I gradually added the salt until I got it to where I liked it. The bacon contains alot of salt so not much extra was needed

Try her out and let me know what ya think. This is as close as I have ever came, with a wild game breakfast sausage.

The Survivalist
11-25-2009, 11:50 AM
Love moose breakfast sausage!

Scuba_Dave
03-06-2014, 08:04 PM
Going to give this a shot later on tonight, I have pork fat not bacon ends I don't think...And I don't have white pepper but will try using black and just reduce to 1 tsp. Will let you know how it goes and will take pictures :)

chola
03-07-2014, 06:10 AM
A much more simpler recipe I use now is...............

2 pounds ground pork...fattier the better
3 pounds ground game meat
Thyme, Sage, Pepper,Salt starting at a 1/2 to 1 teaspoon and adjust from there doing a fry test and then I add a pinch of cayenne for some sneaky heat

tigrr
03-07-2014, 07:32 AM
Thanks for that chola. I will make a small batch to try it out. I have 150lbs of ground pork and 50 lbs of ground moose. Just need the spices your recipe calls for.
Now who has a deer pepperoni recipe?

bridger
03-07-2014, 08:12 AM
Sounds delucious. Do you refrigerate over night

chola
03-07-2014, 08:25 AM
I mix and fry right away....I buy collagen casings from walmart or Canadian tire...21 mm for sausage links and 32 mil for dinner sausage size...overnight is good too really brings the spices together

chola
03-07-2014, 12:15 PM
Thanks for that chola. I will make a small batch to try it out. I have 150lbs of ground pork and 50 lbs of ground moose. Just need the spices your recipe calls for.
Now who has a deer pepperoni recipe?

Pepperoni

•4 lbs very well trimmed venison

•1 lb pork fat or fatty pork trimmings

•3 tablespoons kosher salt

•2 tablespoons paprika

•2 tablespoons sugar

•1 tablespoon fine ground black pepper

•1 tablespoon cayenne pepper

•1 teaspoon crushed anise seed

•1 teaspoon ground cumin seed

•1 teaspoon dried oregano

•1 teaspoon dried thyme
1 cup non-fat dry milk powder
•1 teaspoon #1 cure (prague powder or Instacure)

•1/4 cup ice water

1.Cut the venison and pork into cubes, then grind it through the medium plate of your sausage grinder.

2.Make a paste of the milk powder and ice water and mix it with the cure and all the spices in a small container.

3.Add the cure/dried milk/spice combination to the ground meat and mix it thoroughly, kneading it by hand until it is very well distributed.

4.Stuff the sausage immediately into casings (either collagen or natural sheep or pork), and refrigerate the links for 12-24 hours to let the flavors combine well.

5.After the aging, prepare your deer sausage pepperoni for the smoker, and smoke it until the internal temperature reaches 152 degrees F.

tigrr
03-07-2014, 01:31 PM
chola you da man!

Scuba_Dave
03-07-2014, 04:42 PM
A much more simpler recipe I use now is...............

2 pounds ground pork...fattier the better
3 pounds ground game meat
Thyme, Sage, Pepper,Salt starting at a 1/2 to 1 teaspoon and adjust from there doing a fry test and then I add a pinch of cayenne for some sneaky heat

Just finishing up stuffing your first recipe!! Smells great, going to try the test coil I did tonight. Going to start up on your second recipe later tonight. Awesome Chola thanks so much for sharing!

Scuba_Dave
03-07-2014, 04:43 PM
Might throw in some red pepper flakes just to give it a little extra kick too :D

Scuba_Dave
03-07-2014, 04:49 PM
Also I must admit. This is the first time I have ever attempted making my own sausage. A lot easier than I was anticipating, don't think I will be paying for it in grocery stores anymore thats for certain! Also Chola, as promised I have been taking pictures this whole time and when I am done will start a thread with the pictures included :)

Glenny
03-07-2014, 04:52 PM
Noyce! I made some saasich a while ago and it tasted good but was really dry. That was at a 50/50 deer to pork ratio. Next batch I think will have to load up on extro fat or...bacon eh......hmmmm,Sounds good.

LYKTOHUNT
03-11-2014, 06:35 PM
chola i just made 5lbs of your recipe with bacon ends and ground moose, this is excellent and easy to do, I will make them into patty,s.
I have a sausage stuffer, the horn type from Cabelos but they dont work worth shi$, if anyone is thinking about the horn type stuffer dont waste your money anyways this is an excellent recipe, thanks

Scuba_Dave
03-11-2014, 07:00 PM
The stuff is great tasting!!! And the horn type stuffer is great, you just REAAAAALLY need to grease it up. I wouldn't have even known to do it unless I had watched a video on youtube cause it doesn't say to do that anywhere in the manuals lol.

LYKTOHUNT
03-11-2014, 07:12 PM
The stuff is great tasting!!! And the horn type stuffer is great, you just REAAAAALLY need to grease it up. I wouldn't have even known to do it unless I had watched a video on youtube cause it doesn't say to do that anywhere in the manuals lol.
I am more than willing to try that stuffer again, what part do you grease up, i will try to find on youtube as well

Glenny
03-25-2014, 08:55 AM
Hi Chola.
Jooost made a batch of you breakfast saasage. AWESOME stuff. I highly recommend it folks.

markomoose
03-30-2014, 04:29 PM
Yes sir Chola
Made your first moose breaky sausage recipe using a little more meat & fresh grated ginger.It turned out great!The spices you use really brings out the flavor.The remainder went into hamburgers c/w rolled oats,onion and fresh garlic.Also a big hit in our home! Thank-you Mark.

markomoose
12-30-2015, 05:50 PM
I know this is an oldish thread but i just whipped up a 35 lb batch of this Moose Breakfast Sausage and it's to die for!!I make 2 or 3 batches every winter and everyone that has tried it loves it.Thanks to Chola.Don't see him around these parts often but he also has a kick-ass Pepperoni recipe on here as well . THANK-YOU TO MR. CHOLA!!

chola
12-30-2015, 07:44 PM
glad to hear.....
I use collagen casings now too only...no fuss no muss,no soaking or anything

I have a basic recipe I will post that I use for making what I call "smokies"..I stuff them in 1 inch collagen casing and then onto my traeger pellet grill for about 2 hrs and whoila,all done

Mikey_Likes_It
12-13-2017, 02:23 PM
Bringing this post back from the grave again to say thanks... made up the breakie sausage on the weekend it it was awesome!! I used straight up pork fat/Suet from my local butcher and was a little light at 20/80 with the lean moose meat. will do again at 30/70 and i think it would be perfect.

Thanks Chola!

robertmcallan
02-25-2018, 09:38 AM
i did a batch yesterday and would like to say thanks for the recipe they turned out great