PDA

View Full Version : Salt Licks

Kudu
11-24-2009, 09:41 PM
Firstly is it OK to put out a salt lick?

Secondly if it is legal - where do you buy salt licks around surrey / Langley?

MuleyMadness
11-24-2009, 09:55 PM
It's legal...in fact the only animal it's not legal to bait in BC as far as the regs are concerned is black bears. You can't bait predators unless you want to kill them though, in case you had the hankering to bring some in for a nice little chat over bacon eggers.

Kudu
11-24-2009, 10:01 PM
It's legal...in fact the only animal it's not legal to bait in BC as far as the regs are concerned is black bears. You can't bait predators unless you want to kill them though, in case you had the hankering to bring some in for a nice little chat over bacon eggers.

Thanks MM, I thought it would be legal - it certainly is ethical. Only problem is where the hell do I get one around here? just try googling it with lower mainland in the search and see what comes up.

moosinaround
11-24-2009, 10:03 PM
Firstly is it OK to put out a salt lick?

Secondly if it is legal - where do you buy salt licks around surrey / Langley?
Any livestock supply store! You could order a food plot additive, I believe field and stream had an article about it in one of their issues this past year??!!

pete_k
11-24-2009, 10:05 PM
Get the blue salt lick.
Don't leave it out for other hunters to take advantage.
Setup a trail cam too if you have one.
So far I just have pictures of cows and coyotes.

Click below for a list of feed shops in Surrey
http://www.411.ca/directory/British-Columbia/Surrey/Feed-and-Grain-Dealers.html

lightmag
11-24-2009, 10:06 PM
just buy 5lbs bag o salt and ad to hole in ground, continue to add salt weekly or more until after a while you have your very own lick!!

Kudu
11-24-2009, 10:06 PM
Any livestock supply store! You could order a food plot additive, I believe field and stream had an article about it in one of their issues this past year??!!

Yep, Salt licks are great for wildlife (deer) most have added supplements - It might just keep them off the roads in winter as well ...

Thanks moosinaround I will see what live stock supply stores there are around here.

Get the blue salt lick.
Don't leave it out for other hunters to take advantage.
Setup a trail cam too if you have one.
So far I just have pictures of cows and coyotes.

Click below for a list of feed shops in Surrey
http://www.411.ca/directory/British-Columbia/Surrey/Feed-and-Grain-Dealers.html

Brilliant - you guys are quick - thanks for the help fellows.

martyonthewater
11-24-2009, 10:07 PM
theres a hay sales place down on hwy 10 just past the east delta hall, I have bought licks down there. they sell a few different compositions and sizes

proguide66
11-24-2009, 10:11 PM
fine salt works great to!....blocks are heavy to pack in somewhere....get this , up north we have hundreds of pounds of USED cape salt after guide season.The salt has been soaked in blood from grizzlies to sheep...we use it to make licks the next yr and EVERYTHING hits it like a drug!...funny though , I tried to make a lick down here one fall with a blue black and the deer didnt even sniff it:-?...maybe just a fluke.:confused:

SteadyGirl
11-24-2009, 10:14 PM
fine salts all the way, range mineral is best.. the grey bag with the big bull.. its for cattle horn and coat growth. less is better because the animals stay longer and work harder to get to the salt, it takes years and years to develope a good lick and once it is there it is there forever. they are very easy to distinguish and eventually become big pits so be careful where you place your licks because you don't want to work for someone elses animal, also near water because they will be thirsty as soon as they get thier salt and mineral.

Kudu
11-24-2009, 10:21 PM
fine salts all the way, range mineral is best.. the grey bag with the big bull.. its for cattle horn and coat growth. less is better because the animals stay longer and work harder to get to the salt, it takes years and years to develope a good lick and once it is there it is there forever. they are very easy to distinguish and eventually become big pits so be careful where you place your licks because you don't want to work for someone elses animal, also near water because they will be thirsty as soon as they get thier salt and mineral.

Great advice, thanks - I intend placing the lick a long, long way from the nearest road or quad track - yes there is water close. My tree stand will be hung 30 yards away and well concealed.

If any other hunter finds it - well good luck to them, if they are smart the will shut the hell up about it -:wink:

moosinaround
11-24-2009, 10:24 PM
Range minerals is what they were using in the field and stream article!! Said it works the best for longevity of the lick!! Thanks Steady! Moosin

Fred
11-24-2009, 11:41 PM
Why the heck didn't you just as me Rob???:confused: Otter Co-op will have what you need and I used the salt/trace mineral blocks(brown) on my claim on the Fraser and the blocks only lasted about 6 months before they were licked out. I like Steadys idea better though. Fred