PDA

View Full Version : Bone in or out.

squamishmiles
11-24-2009, 09:37 PM
As I was sitting here eating some mule deer chops from the penticton area I was thinking that my doe does not have any chops as the person I had butcher her didn't like butchering any meat with bone on. What would be the reason for that? health or just.........

squamishmiles
11-24-2009, 09:39 PM
It was with BBQ zuccine with boiled potatoes, basic but ohh so good

TDoyle
11-24-2009, 09:41 PM
see now I'm hungry again. . . .

Dirty
The lazy bugger probably didn't want to have to clean his saws. Some say they don't like game with bone in, but I beg to differ. Look after your meat and it will look after you. :mrgreen:

grizzlydown
The bone is what gives the gamey taste...keep the bone and fat to a minimum and better tasting deer.

lp270win
11-24-2009, 09:42 PM
I find that eating deer, moose, etc, with bone in gives it that ''gamey'' taste people talk about. My personal preferance is bone out. Maybe thats what he was getting at????

squamishmiles
11-24-2009, 09:52 PM
This is some of the best meat EVER, not gamey at all. Can't wait to try some doe, if it's any better I might pass out.

moosinaround
11-24-2009, 09:58 PM
Bone in deer chops are awesome!! I just wash the chops before I season them. Then after all the bone dust is washed off I pat them dry then season. BBQ medium rare and enjoy! The gamey taste comes from how you skin the critter and treat it after it is dead! Can't wait for my deer chops off of my doe this year! MMMM Good! Moosin

ufishifish2
11-24-2009, 10:26 PM
The bone is what gives the gamey taste...keep the bone and fat to a minimum and better tasting deer.

x2 - that is what I have been taught as well, not that I have personally de-boned one half an animal and then compared the same cuts with and without bones.

Blainer
11-24-2009, 10:42 PM
I'm not big on the chops,I tend to tear the meat off the bone before I cook.
That doe will put that buck to shame
Note,you don't eat any bulls in the beef dept.,all cows,better meat.

Bow Walker
11-24-2009, 10:51 PM
The lazy bugger probably didn't want to have to clean his saws. Some say they don't like game with bone in, but I beg to differ. Look after your meat and it will look after you. :mrgreen:
It's probably not a matter of lazyness because it's more work, and takes longer to bone an animal out than it does to push it thruough the saw.

I'm not big on the chops,I tend to tear the meat off the bone before I cook.
That doe will put that buck to shame
Note,you don't eat any bulls in the beef dept.,all cows,better meat.
Not true. Steers are what's cut (99.9% of the time) for meat counters.

Nimrod
11-24-2009, 10:56 PM
Always always bones out, never freeze game meat with bone.
It might taste just fine at first but wait 6 or 8 months then you can tell the difference.
Hard bone are not bad but the soft porous ones like the spine and ribs...especially ones in contact with air and the inside of the rib cage during the "ripening" stage of waiting to get the thing cut up bring on the skank big time.

mark
11-24-2009, 11:01 PM
I always bone out, why freeze or store any bone??? Tastes ok either way to me, but I dont mind gamey taste!

Blainer
11-24-2009, 11:02 PM
Not true. Steers are what's cut (99.9% of the time) for meat counters.A cow is a female 'bovine' A steer is a neutered male.
There is a theory that heifer (young female) meat is tenderest because female beef tends to have less surface fat, the fat being distributed through the meat. The densest beef is bull meat but is tough and can smell. A steer, being an neutered bull still has the density to the meat but is not producing tostesterone to give the meat that bullish quality.
Bull meat and aged cow meat tend to be used more for ground-beef
Call it what you want,but if it don't have it's boys,it's not a bull in my books.

Big7
11-24-2009, 11:15 PM
The gamey taste comes from how you skin the critter and treat it after it is dead!
True enough, taking care of the animal helps in the end resulting taste (on your plate) but....most of the gamey taste with bone in meat comes from the bone marrow that is smeared across the steak as it goes through the ban saw. De bone your meat and you won't have this issue. If you want to chew on a bone, save some, boil them up and join the sled dogs outside!

wildprotien
11-24-2009, 11:38 PM
You are lucky to have a butcher that debones it first then cuts it.
Some butchers when you ask to have it deboned still run it through a saw and cut the bone out after cause they say it is quicker and a nicer even cut of meat.
The whole point in deboning it for me was to keep the marrow off the meat .... I don't want the bone cut out after !!!

JCVD
11-25-2009, 12:36 AM
It's probably not a matter of lazyness because it's more work, and takes longer to bone an animal out than it does to push it thruough the saw.

lmao you just defined laziness to a T! It takes more work for a better product. Why have chops when you can have steaks,roasts,hams etc. with no bone fragments inside? Clean it up and butcher it yourself, make your own cuts trim it how you like it and you will get much better meat than from any game butcher.

3kills
11-25-2009, 01:47 AM
A cow is a female 'bovine' A steer is a neutered male.
There is a theory that heifer (young female) meat is tenderest because female beef tends to have less surface fat, the fat being distributed through the meat. The densest beef is bull meat but is tough and can smell. A steer, being an neutered bull still has the density to the meat but is not producing tostesterone to give the meat that bullish quality.
Bull meat and aged cow meat tend to be used more for ground-beef
Call it what you want,but if it don't have it's boys,it's not a bull in my books.
ur right old grade e bull and old mature cow is used for burger thats what mcpukes gets..old grade e bull!!

jack the bear
11-25-2009, 07:36 AM
i prefer bone in , very tasty plus you get to chew on the bones.some of the bigger bucks in the rut may taste a bit gamey but have found if hanging a little longer helped. .but that could be just what the buck was eating . i guess . of course butterflyed backstraps aint bad either.

Stone Sheep Steve
11-25-2009, 07:37 AM
Only out. Perfect every time.

SSS

hunter1947
11-25-2009, 08:10 AM
I never have bone left on my meat all boneless http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon7.gif.

Kody94
11-25-2009, 08:30 AM
Some butchers are refusing to cut deer with bone in due to CWD.

Doe
11-25-2009, 08:37 AM
lazy????:shock::shock::shock:

We prepare every ounce of our meat ourselves, fat off, bone out, and let me tell ya, it's not easy work! It takes hours to package one small balcktail properly, and it's hard work! We have done 7 so far this year....Your back gets all bugged up and your little fingers get crampy....lol But nothing beats a freezer full of neat tidy packages of 100% organic lean venison:mrgreen:

I had elk steaks, bone in, given to me once and it was the most disgusting cut of meat to hit these lips.....never again for bone in, or 'professionally' butchered game thanks!

p.s. ate a pack of 'least years stock' and not even a hint of 'gamey'

HUNT4LIFE
11-25-2009, 08:41 AM
Hey if you dont like the gammey taste soak the meat in milk just before you cook it, tried it and it really works

high and to the right
11-25-2009, 08:43 AM
A smaller deer may fit easily into a freezer with the bones on but a moose that has been deboned will take up way less space. After a bad experience with a butcher over 30 years ago I decided to cut my own and that experience has now become part of the hunt. I know exactly what is going into my freezer - no gristle, no fat, no shot up blood, just pure healthy meat.

Dirty
11-25-2009, 08:46 AM
The only thing that I freeze with bones in is ribs and chops. It is just as easy to debone the meat off the back than it is to run it through the saw into chops. If you don't have access to a saw, than debone and cut with a carving knife.

3kills
11-25-2009, 08:56 AM
lazy????:shock::shock::shock:

We prepare every ounce of our meat ourselves, fat off, bone out, and let me tell ya, it's not easy work! It takes hours to package one small balcktail properly, and it's hard work! We have done 7 so far this year....Your back gets all bugged up and your little fingers get crampy....lol But nothing beats a freezer full of neat tidy packages of 100% organic lean venison:mrgreen:

I had elk steaks, bone in, given to me once and it was the most disgusting cut of meat to hit these lips.....never again for bone in, or 'professionally' butchered game thanks!

p.s. ate a pack of 'least years stock' and not even a hint of 'gamey'

actaully its not 100% organic..u dont know what its eatin and u dont know what has hit the feed its eatin so its not 100% organic it is free range LOL

Doe
11-25-2009, 09:00 AM
srry...free range....i am fairly sure its not been injected with antibiotics, hormones or crack. There are no game farms here, or food plotts, you go way up into the mountain where theres no mcdonalds and shoot them!
I stand corrected, free-range....lol

Nooker77
11-25-2009, 09:06 AM
I agree..we de-bone everything...As a family we find the meat a little less gamey...meat is always clean and prepped....We had a stinkabou cut at the butchers about 7 years ago and we found the "saw slime" gave the meat a yuscky taste...also didnt like the marrow from the bone taste! Its a personal choice...We just debone everything...even a big old swamp donkey when we get one! lol!:)

rocksteady
11-25-2009, 09:13 AM
I was told that if you go "bone out" the meat will last longer in the freezer, without freezer burn....

Does not really matter in my house, meat does not usually last past about mid-June each year.....

We are carnivores, hear us roar!!!!

3kills
11-25-2009, 09:25 AM
srry...free range....i am fairly sure its not been injected with antibiotics, hormones or crack. There are no game farms here, or food plotts, you go way up into the mountain where theres no mcdonalds and shoot them!
I stand corrected, free-range....lol

i was just funnin with ya..and i agree they havent been injected with any thing and there is no food plots however birds eat stuff with pestisides on it and shit in the fields the deer eat out of there for no more organic or the wind can carry pestisides that are sprayed on a feild up and to where the deer are no more organic LOL still just funnin ya

Doe
11-25-2009, 09:30 AM
well...i know that because of day and age we live in, when we die, if they cremate ya, you burn like napalm,:eek: and if they put you in the ground, well, I know my body will be well preserved for decades to come....lol. Cant get rid of me:mrgreen:
Deer...its the other red meat...heheheh

squamishmiles
11-25-2009, 06:02 PM
OK, anyone want o teach a bunch of people how to butcher an dear/big game

Johnnybear
11-25-2009, 06:25 PM
OK, anyone want o teach a bunch of people how to butcher an dear/big game

Pick up the one of these. Very good video for the do it yourselfer.

http://www.outdooredge.com/gameprocessingdvds.html

We butcher all our own and always bone out the meat. I was taught by someone but I have a couple of those DVD's as well. Most sporting good stores have them including Wally World if I'm not mistaken:-D.

Bow Walker
11-25-2009, 06:32 PM
Personally, I bone my game. It just makes more sense for me.