PDA

View Full Version : recovering shot animals

sparky300winmag
11-24-2009, 09:17 PM
I would like your thoughts.I had shot a really nice buck with my crossbow last week.I found blood and I saw it cross a creek and bed down.So i left it for about 1 1/2 hrs and went back to check .Well he was gone ,so i got my son and we tracked him.There wasn't a lot of blood but we managed to track him.We spooked him up again and then he dissappeared into some christmas trees, so we backed out and left him over night.We did see some blood high behind his shoulder when we were trying to see if it was the same buck.We went back the next day and found his bed and there was a spot of blood about 2" in dia. and the ground was frozen except for his bed, so he must have gotten up very recently and moved.We didn't find any more blood but searched for about an hour , we did see some other deer but not him .Do you think if he survived the night he would make it .It would be hard to find him unless i spot ravens and then again he could survive but i would really like to know one way or another cause he is a really big buck.What your thoughts.

meathead
11-24-2009, 09:28 PM
i know a guy that shot a big mulley this year and it had 3 broadheads in it .this buck was well known and had bad genes.i would say if you arowed him high in the shoulder the broadhead is in his shoulerblade he will live

Onesock
11-24-2009, 09:28 PM
What difference does it make if it was a big buck or a doe? You should feel as bad about a bad hit on a doe as a big buck!!!! Was he quartering away? What distance was he when you shot? Did he jump the string? Where do you think you hit him?

quadrakid
11-24-2009, 09:32 PM
Maybe he makes it maybe he doesn,t. I,d prefer to think he survives.

sawmill
11-24-2009, 10:03 PM
What difference does it make if it was a big buck or a doe? You should feel as bad about a bad hit on a doe as a big buck!!!! Was he quartering away? What distance was he when you shot? Did he jump the string? Where do you think you hit him?
Hey Dork Boy,the man was just asking some advice.
Sparky,you did the right thing by letting him lay.Arrows kill slower than bulletts.It is always a good idea to let them lay for awhile and most times you will walk up on him dead in his tracks.Sounds like you might have taken him high in the shoulder,maybe a skip right off his back?
It`s happened to all of us at one time Good on you for the follow up.

MikeH
11-24-2009, 11:22 PM
It's happened to me too nice 4x4.Sounds like you hit him high in the shoulder,you did everything right I know how you feel when you can't recover an animal.
My Dad yrs ago shot a cow Elk while cleaning close to the neck with his knife he heard metal on metal scrap he was like wtf.Turns out it was a broad head someone shot the Cow in the neck bone.Over time the shaft was push out,or broke off and healed over.Nice souvenir!

SteadyGirl
11-24-2009, 11:28 PM
Sawmill I love you:mrgreen: Unless you find him dead you will never know. For every animal brought to a butcher with a prior broadhead there are many more that die from thier injuries in some dark hole at some later date. It happens and is one of the ugly aspects of the sport:-|

Jelvis
11-24-2009, 11:40 PM
80 per cent of wounded animals live according to study's done by out door magz -- 8 out of ten -- 80 out of 100 -- 800 out of a 1000 -- live --
The best way to get that animal if it did expire, is to listen for ravens, eagles and birds, they will find it faster than a blood hound if it's dead.
When you said the animal laid down right away, says to me, you spanked it good, I knew that you would, now, if it laid down again shortly, it probably won't make it through the night it's hurt bad and the lion or the yotes will be feasting and lickin their lips.
Go back if you live within a reasonable distance and can do it. Look in the trees for birds and listen closely for the birds ..
Jellydetectionservicesforwoundedandconcernedhunter swhofeelbadforwoundingananimalandneedhelp

SteadyGirl
11-24-2009, 11:44 PM
80 per cent of wounded animals live according to study's done by out door magz -- 8 out of ten -- 80 out of 100 -- 800 out of a 1000 -- live --
The best way to get that animal if it did expire, is to listen for ravens, eagles and birds, they will find it faster than a blood hound if it's dead.
When you said the animal laid down right away, says to me, you spanked it good, I knew that you would, now, if it laid down again shortly, it probably won't make it through the night it's hurt bad and the lion or the yotes will be feasting and lickin their lips.
Go back if you live within a reasonable distance and can do it. Look in the trees for birds and listen closely for the birds ..
Jellydetectionservicesforwoundedandconcernedhunter swhofeelbadforwoundingananimalandneedhelp

I don't believe 8 out of 10 wouned animals survive... makes for a nice fairy tale though.. something your good at spinnin

SteadyGirl
11-24-2009, 11:46 PM
On a side note I don't even read the magazines. I learned my first year hunting in the EK that one ounce of experience beats a gallon of theory .. be it hbc lore or otherwise:tongue:

Jelvis
11-24-2009, 11:55 PM
Paleace leed my leapz 80 purr scent girdle why do yee doubt -- ?
8 out of ten wounded animals survive a wound by high powered rifle what about arrow, probably more narrow --
jellycsiwildhabitatsurvival80purrrcentgirldle--+++---Just the facts mam ---
bookemdanno

Buck
11-24-2009, 11:56 PM
Well if i were you and it was a big Buck i would go back and look you may get the antlers at the least.Find someone with a dog that would help you.

hunter1947
11-25-2009, 08:24 AM
An arrow does not explode like a bullet it cuts and finding little blood I would say this deer will heal and will live to see the next year.

If it was me I would go back and look some more for the next few days just to make sure ,to bad you did not get him sorry to hear.

Nooker77
11-25-2009, 09:45 AM
What color was the blood? Any bubbles (lunges) Fixed head or expandable broad heads?? Regardless of his antler size you should spend every available minute looking for that animal..I've lost a deer after a solid hit with my bow only to find him 4 days later thanx to the magpies! Worst feeling in the world!! Good luck!! I wouldnt take a dog...fine if the deers dead but if hes just wounded may spook him over to the next valley !

11-25-2009, 10:10 AM
I wouldn't take a dog...fine if the deers dead but if hes just wounded may spook him over to the next valley !

I sure would use one....if he is dead the dog will find him, if he makes the next valley.....it gives you a good idea about his state of health......what difference does it make if it's the dog that pushes him or you? My Chessie has turned out to be really good at finding downed animals. We would of found them any way (l think) but with one deer in particular this year, it wouldn't have been found until an very extensive search because of conditions and where it finally died. The dog found it in less then 5 minutes from when l released him.
It really sucks when an animal gets away like that, but as mentioned, its an unintended consequence that sometimes happens when hunting.

log_roller
11-25-2009, 10:30 AM
Its been said shit happens, if its bleeding something will get it.I'm sure it wont go to waste something will gobble it up , you made an honest attempt to find it , It takes a man to ask for advice try not to let it bug you it happens to the best of us

OOBuck
11-25-2009, 10:30 AM

I bet if it was a bad hit with a long bow that would be OK right? It's been a while since we had a good crossbow debate..:-D:tongue:

log_roller
11-25-2009, 10:45 AM

Pretty cool to shit on someone when they are asking for help. It could happen to anyone. Whats the point of making a ***tard comment , It takes a man to admit what happened whats that make you!:confused:

hunter1947
11-25-2009, 10:46 AM
The hit and the wound has been done ,shit like this happens weather you use a rifle or bow there is no turning the clock back ,all a person can do is to put your time in on trying to find the animal ,if you tried for many hours and cant find no more blood so be it ,you tried your best to find this animal and thats all a person can do.

pete_k
11-25-2009, 10:48 AM
My WT hunt was interupted by a blood trail I happened accross from some type of deer (probably WT). I heard no shots the previous night, nor any that morning.

I followed it for about an hour and half and lost them. It was snowing pretty good and I had to keep kicking the snow to see red.

Finaly gave up. Maybe the deer ripped some skin jumping a fence.
Could have been in a fight too.
Still pretty interesting.

35 Whelen
11-25-2009, 10:53 AM
You did well following it up. From the sounds of what you found for evidence of a hit it may have been high and not in a vital area. Hard to say without actually seeing it and more details of the shot...

Having said that......I have seen arrows drop an animal so fast it makes your head spin. Double lung is a wicked wicked shot and they don't go far at all.

Bad arrow hits tend to heal much better than a bullet, as the broadhead cuts and doesn't cause so much tissue destruction, no hydo static shock either.

Realize that if he did expire..which I doubt, that nothing goes to waste in the bush. Some coyote will have a good month.

Good for you to follow it up on more than one occasion...I know others that would just walk away without a care.

Jelvis
11-25-2009, 11:01 AM
One experienced mule deer hunter from the valley was up around Eastgate hunting and shot the biggest mule deer buck he's ever seen above on a hill and the buck went down and slid towards him down the slope, it was to be his biggest monster buck ever, it happened so fast, as he went up a ways to claim it, the buck got up and with tremendous power took off like an nfl running back, never to be seen again by him. He was in a state of frenzy for weeks after. Not knowing what happened after, there was no snow and he lost track of the trophy that stayed in his mind for ever and for ever is a long time.
Jel -- like losing something real valueable and just can't understand how to get it out of the minds picture. Good luck dealing with it, it's not easy to forget.

barehunter
11-25-2009, 11:04 AM
I Agree with many that perhaps he will make it , animals are far more resilient than many think and not recovering them is an unfortunate part of the sport. What is important is the fact that you took the time to track and search for it , you showed a certian respect for the animal as well as the sport and this is what makes a true hunter.

MichaelB
11-25-2009, 11:21 AM
My buddy shot a deer in the neck with archery gear and could not find him. One week later he showed back up on the trail cam in the same spot he was shot. I was shocked as the placement seemed like a mortal wound. There is another pic of the other side of him that I couldn't find in my email but the exit wound was a few inches lower than on his right side and a few inches forward as the animal was quartering away.
Poor guy was going for the heart and missed by a foot.

srupp
11-25-2009, 11:26 AM
First I believe you did everything right.
Letting the animal expire..and then backing out overnite when it was obvious it hadnt. Good decisions. Sometimes things dont go according to the perfect script..obviously the animal didnt read same said script..:mrgreen:

One does the best they can, and what you did was perfect.

As for will the animal survive...thats a bit tougher..however having survived the initial hit, and being able to get back up after bedding down..and then bedding at least one more time overnite and again getting up strongly suggests a non lethal injury...if you would have hit a vital organ we wouldnt be having this discussion as it would have been dead by the following morning.So liver , lungs , heart, major blood vessells can be eliminated as all would have resulted in a dead animal overnight. But it wasnt.

Hence one needs to look at the overall long term survival of a none lethal shot.

Infection or injury that limits his movement ..in feeding, or escaping preditors...and that is a matter of "degree" how bad is the injury..minor or serious..

If serious enough to impede his ability to move up and down with the terrain or in the deepening snow or escape the nose of a preditor sensing blood he is indded eventually going to die. If he can move and avoid the preditors and move in the snow...he will make it..unfortunatley from our collective chairs miles from the scene and not being there ..it is virtually impossible to surmise the final outcome..me I personally would like to believe he made it...however you DID DO what I think is a exemplary well thought out attempt at retrieving the animal well done.

cheers

Steven:mrgreen:

bighornbob
11-25-2009, 11:37 AM
Infection or injury that limits his movement ..in feeding, or escaping preditors...and that is a matter of "degree" how bad is the injury..minor or serious..

That is one thing many people overlook. My uncle was out with a guy for the elk opener a number of years ago. His buddy saw a 5 point bull and shot it. The shot was off and blew one front leg right off about a foot below the body. The elk took off and they never found it. Two weeks later my uncle is hunting the same slide and out walks the elk with his cows. My uncle kills the elk and when he started skinning it he said the whole front half had gang green. Although the elk lived an additional 2 weeks and probably bred his cows his days were numbered.

BHB

CT.45
11-25-2009, 12:54 PM
8 out of ten wounded animals survive a wound by high powered rifle what about arrow, probably more narrow --
bookemdanno

There must be a way to block gibberish before it hits the threads. 6700+ posts of garbledy-gook and counting.....

showtimebc
11-25-2009, 01:00 PM
I found this guy a couple weeks ago in region 3. looked like this guy was shot in the neck and not recoved. birds and coyotes had a good meal by the looks of it.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/CIMG2319x2.jpg

ROEBUCK
11-25-2009, 01:39 PM
I found this guy a couple weeks ago in region 3. looked like this guy was shot in the neck and not recoved. birds and coyotes had a good meal by the looks of it.

is it still alive??

showtimebc
11-25-2009, 02:20 PM
is it still alive??

yea...he was just sleeping when I snuck up and took his photo :wink:

bruin
11-25-2009, 02:21 PM
You're right Roe, looks like he's just taking a short nap. Amazing that Showtime could get so close for a photo! He must be one sneeky bugger!

"skma"
11-25-2009, 02:33 PM
wow not even a twitch, fr the flash

mikek blacktail
11-25-2009, 02:49 PM
he will live if infection doesn't get him or predators.I n
made the same shot once and.Ended up killing the buck the next month almost fully healed.

Onesock
11-25-2009, 02:53 PM
Sawmill--- The guy was asking for advice, I had a few questions for him. And why was he so concerned because it was a big buck. Would he(or you) have walked if it was a doe? And do you hunt with a bow Sawmill, just wondering?
00Buck-Your comment is about as smart as you !!!!!!!!!!! You should remain silent, then people could wonder about how smart you are instead of them knowing for sure!!!

OOBuck
11-25-2009, 03:56 PM
There must be a way to block gibberish before it hits the threads. 6700+ posts of garbledy-gook and counting.....

block the user...

Ron.C
11-25-2009, 05:52 PM
Agree with most that said you did the right thing by waiting. But I don't think there is any one answer as how long you should wait. It's totally situational. If it's cold and somewhat dry, you have a better chance of waiting longer then if it's warm or very wet.
Another factor is predators. If your area is full of coyotes, your screwed if you leave it overnight.

Do you have access to a dog??? Doesn't have to be a hunting dog. My dumbass dog is not a trained hunter, but he'd got a good working nose and has found 2 deer for me and a bear for as friend.

And alot depends on where it's hit. High arrow hits behind the shoulder may zip in between the lungs and spine. I shot a doe one year that was hit high like this. I saw blood on her when she was running, but found none on the ground. I ended up getting lucky and finding her by grid search, but she bled out into her chest with little blood exiting the body.

Lastly, I have never seen it but I know guys who have found broadheads inside deer that were shot in previous seasons and healed over.

dougan
11-25-2009, 08:54 PM
wahhhhhhhahahahhahahahh lighten up ehhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!
Sawmill--- The guy was asking for advice, I had a few questions for him. And why was he so concerned because it was a big buck. Would he(or you) have walked if it was a doe? And do you hunt with a bow Sawmill, just wondering?
00Buck-Your comment is about as smart as you !!!!!!!!!!! You should remain silent, then people could wonder about how smart you are instead of them knowing for sure!!!

Hidehanger
11-25-2009, 10:09 PM
Did you cancel your tag?

Jelvis
11-25-2009, 10:09 PM
All wounded blacktails get a fever and the body temperature rises sharply after the shock of getting hit so hard WHAM ! Then when the fever spreads through it's system it uses the water stored in it's tissues causing severe dehydration which cause hypo thermia and since the blacktail has no sweat glands it pants like a dog to cool it's body temperature down to as close to a normal level, if at all possible.
MY point is find the closest water source and you will find your wounded or deceased animule.
Jel -- nearest available water source to quench it's enormous thirst for h2o caused by high fever.
informationsharingonblacktailsurvivaldrinkingwater fromnearestsource.ca

35 Whelen
11-25-2009, 10:19 PM
Did you cancel your tag?

No need to cancel a tag when the game has not been harvested ( recovered)

brotherjack
11-26-2009, 12:56 AM
You should remain silent, then people could wonder about how smart you are instead of them knowing for sure!!!

Weird advice, coming from you. ;)

brotherjack
11-26-2009, 01:02 AM
No need to cancel a tag when the game has not been harvested ( recovered)

Exactly correct. Tag cutting is to be performed over the dead animal, immediately prior to handling it, and not a second before. I suppose you could, if you're into useless gestures, cut a tag once you've given up looking for the animal. However, if the C.O. catches you looking for (or worse yet, having found) an animal, and you have no tag for it other than the one you cut on some day other than the day you're looking for/have found the animal -- you gonna have some serious explaining to do.

sawmill
11-26-2009, 03:48 AM
He was just saying it was a big buck.And of course he would follow it up if it was doe,same as I would,obviously he gives a damn or he would not have posted the thread.
And yes I have been bowhunting for 18 years now.Gonna have to switch to a crossbow though,my right shoulder is blown out.Old age I reckon.

hunter1947
11-26-2009, 07:08 AM
I myself will not cut a tag of any till I find the dead animal I had shot period.

OOBuck
11-26-2009, 09:29 AM
Sawmill---

Who's the smart one here??? Let me put it this way. Man has evolved. Do you know what "evolved" means??

We have harnessed the flame and put in a little thing called a bic lighter
We now make fish hooks with a barb on it to insure we catch more fish
We advanced bow technology and made the compound bow
We advanced to smokeless powder and cartridge type bullets
These are all "advancements"

But still, some like to remain the neanderthal knuckle dragger and use arkayic weaponds and think of themself's as special. Special or not, history has shown the one's that are not able to adapt (ie: special) well lets just say mother nature took care of them..

So if you fall into the "special" category due to the lack of advancement on your part and it makes you fell better to insult the more superior race so be it. This concludes your history lesson for today.. :-D LOL

The Hermit
11-26-2009, 10:49 AM
Actually I think Onesock's questions are pertinent to anyone asking for help on the topic.

Knowing the answers would help us make a better educated guess about the possible lethality of the shot. What was the shot angle? How close/far was the shot? Did he jump the string? Where do you think you hit him? All valid questions whether you are using a rifle, longbow, crossbow or spear.

I think Sparky initially waited the appropriate amount of time if he was confident that he made a good shot, but if he had taken a quartering towards shot at 50 yards on an alert deer that jumped the string and he thinks he hit the deer high and back, then waiting about 4 or 5 hours before the initial blood trailing would be a much better idea. One of the other posters asked about bubbles in the blood and knowing that would also be helpful information too!

I am wondering how long Sparky300winmag has been hunting with a crossbow? I am not suggesting that Sparky fits this category at all but we all hear of riflehunters buying a crossbow to extend their seasons, practicing for an hour or less and off they go a hunting without truely understanding the inherent limits of the weapon, proper archery shot angles, etc.

You guys jumped on Onesock for sport didn't you? LOL He is one evolved neanderthal after all!

cariboobill
11-26-2009, 10:50 AM
I agree with others, you did everything right. It is hard to know if it will survive, but nature does not waste anything. Hard to shake off a situation where you just do not know if he will survive or if you will find him etc....

CB

The Hermit
11-26-2009, 10:52 AM
And before anyone jumps on me, I'll answer the question... yes I have made bad shot with rifle and bow. Yes I have lost two deer. In fact I shot one three weeks ago with a longbow, hit him way back and my partner actually saved the day by killing it with his CROSSBOW!! LOL

Onesock
11-26-2009, 11:16 AM
Good on ya for gettin the wounded critter Hermy......I guess the questions I asked aren't really important to these so-called bowhunters!

OOBuck
11-26-2009, 11:21 AM
You guys jumped on Onesock for sport didn't you?

Who us???:-D:wink:

sawmill
11-26-2009, 11:31 AM
[quote=OOBuck;562291]Who's the smart one here??? Let me put it this way. Man has evolved. Do you know what "evolved" means
These are all "advancements"

But still, some like to remain the neanderthal knuckle dragger and use arkayic weaponds and think of themself's as special.

Well first of all it is spelled Archaic from the Greek word Archaiko/s meaning old fashioned or proven to work.Learn how to spell before you start shitting all over people.
Secondly,Leave the man alone,he chooses to hunt with a crossbow,it`s perfectly legal here.
Thirdly and most importantly,I am building a spear so I can hunt with Gate House this spring.:mrgreen:

OOBuck
11-26-2009, 11:32 AM
I would like your thoughts.I had shot a really nice buck with my crossbow last week.I found blood and I saw it cross a creek and bed down.So i left it for about 1 1/2 hrs and went back to check .Well he was gone ,so i got my son and we tracked him.There wasn't a lot of blood but we managed to track him.We spooked him up again and then he dissappeared into some christmas trees, so we backed out and left him over night.We did see some blood high behind his shoulder when we were trying to see if it was the same buck.We went back the next day and found his bed and there was a spot of blood about 2" in dia. and the ground was frozen except for his bed, so he must have gotten up very recently and moved.We didn't find any more blood but searched for about an hour , we did see some other deer but not him .Do you think if he survived the night he would make it .It would be hard to find him unless i spot ravens and then again he could survive but i would really like to know one way or another cause he is a really big buck.What your thoughts.

Sorry for hi-jacking your post.. Shit happens, sounds like you did the right thing. Bad shots due occur. Hopefully he still out there and next time you get the job done.

sawmill
11-26-2009, 11:37 AM
Good man ,guy had a shitty day.That`s hard to deal with when you lose an animal.Good on you for seeing that.

bigbear350
11-26-2009, 11:43 AM
hahaha i like that philosophy steadygirl!

ah question, were you able to recover your bolt? if it broke off, you might be able to tell how deep it penetrated. how much blood on the bolt? its hard to say, but if you got the deer in the shoulder blade he might live for days, weeks with the blades inside slicing away which can cause him to die sometime in the future. at the same time, as some others mentioned it might not affect the deer that badly where he will be able to survive. I believe the best thing you can do is spend some more time hiking around looking for him, furthest i have heard a deer running from a arrow is almost 1000 yrds :S the trail was lost b/c he doubled back twice through a creek.
Keep looking, and good luck!

OOBuck
11-26-2009, 11:49 AM
[quote=OOBuck;562291]

Well first of all it is spelled Archaic from the Greek word Archaiko/s meaning old fashioned or proven to work.Learn how to spell before you start shitting all over people.
Secondly,Leave the man alone,he chooses to hunt with a crossbow,it`s perfectly legal here.
:mrgreen:

Ya you might want to read all the posts, I'm not against the use of crossbows. I currently take my crossbow everytime I go hunting.
Also you might want to get a new dictionary if archaic mean "proven to work" more like out of date or antiquated. For instance like long bows compared to a compound or a fish hook made out of stone instead of metal or a flintlock compared to a cartridge.
I'm not against any form of tackle being used as long as its legal and is allowed within the regs. If you new the history and long standing battle by certain individual against crossbows you would understand my post.

sawmill
11-26-2009, 12:07 PM
[quote=sawmill;562387]

Ya you might want to read all the posts, I'm not against the use of crossbows. I currently take my corssbow
It is spelled Crossbow.:mrgreen:Just F%uckin with ya.

Kudu
11-26-2009, 12:21 PM
When bow hunting, it is very rare that any animal drops / flops stone dead. Bow hunters normally sit back, wait an appropriate time, and then follow up the shot animal.

By my reckoning the best way to do this is with a dog, my personal preferences are Jack Russells or GSP'S - The little jacks have proven themselves time and time again with me - I'm of the opinion that if you want to bow hunt - the ethical thing to do, is do it with a dog - my Jack used to love curling up in a tree stand with me.

It is your moral and ethical duty to follow up any animal that you have taken a shot at - be it with rifle- bow, or spear.

If you are incapable of spooring an animal you should not be in the bush, if you are unwilling to follow a spoor - be it for three or four days if need be - then you should not hunt - supermarkets and meat shops are as far as you should go to gather food for your Family's sustenance.

Now I'm pointing the "old snot picker" at anyone - or accusing anyone of any misconduct - I'm simply stating the fact.

sawmill
11-26-2009, 12:27 PM
Been there.It sucks to lose a critter but we all do the best we can to recover it.Sometimes it just don`t work out.You never forget it.If you are paying attention it makes you better in the end.

OOBuck
11-26-2009, 12:28 PM
[quote=OOBuck;562401]Just F%uckin with ya.

Your asking for it!!!:tongue:

Jelvis
11-26-2009, 09:06 PM
Recovering shot animals, I say follow the raven, the trickster, he can set it all up and then finish the job. The blackbird singin in the dead of night take this broken buck and learn to fry meat, all day long, he was only waiting for his moment to eat, on the food chain.
Above him is the canines and the felines, the human and the bears, coyotes can get ugly. Eagles beware they rip the meat off.
So hitting a deer with a shot, and knowing you maimed it bad, makes you sad, and mad, should be at yourself but you can't turn back time, just learn from your blunder and carry on my wayward son, there will be peace when your search is done. Carry on. Do some target practice, and know your limitations.
JellyCSIblacktailtrailmovelikeasnail---> but go and look < ---and listen --->
------ cuz it's for the birds--itwontbewasted--look,listenforandfollowtheraven--

hunter1947
11-27-2009, 07:16 AM
Why don't people understand that every time any of us take a shot at an animal there is that chance of a miss placed shot ,I have heard many of times on this forum that hunters had missed there animals to me that could have been a misplaced shot when you miss your target http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon7.gif.

Ltbullken
11-27-2009, 08:49 AM
bookemdanno

>>>>>?????..... :confused:. heeyyup majeez ye smoooookn gouda updar huh!?

Ltbullken
11-27-2009, 09:10 AM
I have a question for bow hunters. I often hear that one should leave an animal overnight and go after it in the morning. If so, doesn't the meat spoil? And if that is the case, what's point or using archery if there is a significant chance of that happening and is it then even ethical? Just curious, I really want to know, and I am not cra**ing on archers.

tmarschall
11-27-2009, 11:30 AM
Lt Bulken... all the deer I have shot with a bow died in less than 5 minutes. A couple I never found, until the rifle season when they were quickly dispatched. I have never heard about giving a bow shot animal that much time, unless there are signs that would indicate more time is needed. For example, gut contents mixed with any blood found, then give it plenty of time.

Phreddy
11-27-2009, 08:07 PM
Our local CO is personally against bow hunting. He tells me that he gets more reports of injured animals with arrows sticking out of them than he does for road kill. I like the better odds of knocking the critter down for the count with multi foot/pounds of energy. Some get lost, but not too damned many.

Shooter
11-27-2009, 08:25 PM
I would have to say that if he survived a cold frozen night in his bed and only left a small 2" spot of blood and he still hadn't "seized" up that he would have survived unless as others have stated infection sets in. That you will never know for sure unless you see him again (dead or alive).

Also on a side note... Jelvis stated that wounded deer head for water. I have to agree. I have been told this before and have seen it happen. Not written in stone but definately something to watch for if there is a creek or something near-by.

Ambush
11-27-2009, 09:45 PM
Our local CO is personally against bow hunting. He tells me that he gets more reports of injured animals with arrows sticking out of them than he does for road kill.

I'd have to say that your local CO has something against bow-hunters or he's just plain full of $hit!! Maybe both.

Not calling you out, just your local CO.:)

c.r.hunter
11-27-2009, 11:41 PM

I'm pretty sure I saw the same lost buck. 45 mins from Kamloops?

Jelvis
11-27-2009, 11:55 PM
Kamloop$ i$ getting famou$ for it's mule deer herd$.
B&C preach Thompson/Nicola for record buck$ in B.C.
Jel--Bonez and Crockett --

mikeinajeep
11-28-2009, 01:12 AM
good pionts all,,,, well most. I think you did your duty and the critters will clean up if he drops!!

showtimebc
11-28-2009, 10:47 AM
I'm pretty sure I saw the same lost buck. 45 mins from Kamloops?

yep. you see it before or after this stage?

c.r.hunter
11-28-2009, 02:27 PM
yep. you see it before or after this stage?

I'd say just before, it was the friday. I was a little bummed out because there were 0 deer down there. Ravens & eagles everywhere-actually 2 Goldens which I've only ever seen a couple times. Also at least one Bald Eagle. Coyote's weren't far off either. I actually glassed it through my spotting scope from 200 yds above.