PDA

View Full Version : Which quarry first: Goats or Sheep?

lapadat
01-23-2006, 08:47 PM
I want to expand my hunting horizons from deer/moose/waterfowl/yotes to goats or sheep.

I am a hiker-hunter and enjoy spending time away from roads and people, glassing for hidden critters. I am looking to hunt goats in the squamish/pemberton area OR sheep on the Fraser. I am not afraid of an unsuccessful season....it took me 4 years to shoot a blacktail buck...but I welcome a new challenge. I am set up to hunt in the backcountry and have a great person to keep me company.

Which would you suggest would be a better species to transition to?

I understand that I would see more legal goats than sheep, however, the terrain would be more inhospitable. I think my chances of success are better with goats.

Need your thoughts please.

TIA

matt

mainland hunter
01-23-2006, 09:22 PM
im no expert sheep hunter having only done it once but id say fill out for draws in your chosen area and see what you get. i think finding a full curl ram by the fraser would be tough. if you get a draw for 3/4 curl you dont have to hesitate as much trying to judge the legality of one that is close to full curl

slyfox
01-23-2006, 09:46 PM
I would go for goats first then sheep.If your a good walker and not scared to walk on cliffs you sound have no problem getting a goat for a full curl ram in reg 3 thats very very hard maybe 1 to 4 rams a year get shot and tunes of hunter looking for them i say try the 3/4 draw for the area.

ryanb
01-23-2006, 10:10 PM
I know the squamish/pemberton area is not easy for goat hunting. I've never hunted there, but I have hiked in the area plenty. The only open season is up the Elaho and is very hard to access. Around pemberton it's LEH only, and to be honest I've never seen many goats around in the LEH area when I've been up there this past fall(even though I'll keep applying). From what I've heard, areas farther north and further interior have better goat populations.

I am by no means an expert, but I definately hope to take my first goat this year :D

Tuffcity
01-23-2006, 10:24 PM
Or take a trip into region 6 or 7 with a tag for both and take whichever comes along first. :)RC

358mag
01-23-2006, 10:31 PM
go for the white goats first lots more of them around but dont wait too long to start sheep hunting the whole dam prov. will be going LEH before you know it ,just becareful hunting them white goats, never walk down a creek draw that you havent walked up first !!! No goat is worth you or your hunting partners life, have fun shoot straight.

hitch
01-23-2006, 10:45 PM
No goats around Pemberton, or deer!:wink:

Gateholio
01-23-2006, 11:38 PM
Got that right!!!No bear, either..

Steeleco
01-24-2006, 05:45 AM
Got that right!!!No bear, either..

OH no not this again, I'm tellin ya, all the deer I shot in the last few years were heading that way, honest!!!

CanuckShooter
01-24-2006, 06:05 AM

Hey man..you gotta get out of the pub.......

boxhitch
01-24-2006, 07:50 AM
So why not get out and do a dry run, in or out of the hunting season, and see what fits your style. If you come home with some good photos, then you could probably pull the trigger on a hunt. Ask 'GH' about the need for prescouting. Besiddes there are also good deer along the Fraser, so check it out !