PDA

View Full Version : Last minute two-fer fer me!

brotherjack
11-24-2009, 01:57 AM
So, thanks to work and having life outside of hunting, I'm all-but out of days left I can possibly hunt before rifle season closes. Yesterday was one of the few I had left. So, The Wife(tm) and I head out about the crack of dawn (which was about an hour later than we originally meant to) and headed down into the far (far) south-country from Cranbrook in search of Whitetails. We don't usually range that far from home, but freezer needs filling ASAP, and farther from home is generally a better bet than in the immediate Cranbrook area, if you're in a hurry to cut a tag (and we were).

A storm was just blowing in, which was keeping everything hunkered down all morning. Saw fewer does in 4 hours than we'd usually see in 30 minutes on most other days in this exact same area. About noon, we've had enough of this, and are just pulling out of quad-trail country to make a long/slow drive home (long/slow on the off chance we see something on the way).

Oh look. A doe at about 70 yards in thick-ish timber. Glass glass glass. Hrmm... just a doe, apparently... drive forward 20 feet. Oh look. A deer bedded down behind the doe. Hrmm.... a buck. In fact, the very same buck my buddy Mike was gonna shoot a couple weeks ago not 200 yards from this very spot, but he bolted too fast/soon. He's got Little antlers, but looks like he's got enough meat on his bones to qualify for a shooting, given the late date, a mostly empty freezer, and my very limited hunting time left before bow season complicates the degree of difficulty.

Hop out of the truck with the rifle and shootin stix. He sits still plenty long enough to let me set up and make a perfect 80-ish yard neck shot on him; laid him down in his bed, and he never felt a thing. He's got the smallest antlers of any deer I've ever shot (by far), but he's only the 3rd smallest buck if you measure by body size/weight (which I do). Besides, who cares at this point in the season -- he's much needed meat in the freezer!

http://xjack.org/hunting/a2009wt01.jpg

After we got him field dressed, we took a long slow drive home, hoping to spot a second whitetail buck for The Wife(tm) to tag. No such luck. We get him home and skinned and hung by late afternoon.

Having a few hours of daylight left, we headed out looking for a fawn-less doe to fill my LEH (which was in a super-close-to-home area). We meandered around a bit, mostly just road hunting, without seeing anything (no surprise; all our favourite areas close to Cranbrook have been seriously short of deer this year). About 45 minutes before the end of legal shooting light, we decide that we've probably had all the luck we're going to get for one day, and turn around to head home.

On the way out, The Wife(tm) spots a lone doe meandering along in the middle of a clear-cut about 300-ish yards out. Hrmmm... we can see about 1/2 a kilometer in either direction, and there are no other deer to be seen, so it's a pretty safe bet this doe is fawn-less. She's only looks about 2 1/2 years old in the binos, but that's old enough to get a decent amount of meat out of her (for a doe), and again, we have time pressures and a not-yet-full freezer here.

I hop out of the truck, and sneek 30 yards or so to a good spot and get set up with the shooting stix. I've never shot an animal more than 80 yards out, so this is going to be a first for me. But, I've been practicing this shot at the local rifle range for about 4 years now, and I'm confident I can git er dun at long range here with my tack-driving Tikka in 308 Winchester and my trusty shootin stix. I dial the scope up to 9x because she looks like a little pin point at 3x, and start watching her meander along, waiting for just the right shot. I was having a hard time keeping as steady as I wanted while I was swiveling the rifle to track her as she moved, so I shifted my focus to about 10 yards ahead of her and did the "breathe in, breathe out, focus, focus, breathe in, breathe out, hold... tight..." so I could get good and solid -- there we go... crosshairs steady like a rock, holding em a bit high compared to where I want the bullet to land.

Step. Pause. Step. Step. Pause. Step.... one more... Step... Pause... puts her chest right into the crosshair placement during the pause, perfect broadside shot... a gentle squeeze... BOOM... recoil... lag time... rush to find deer in scope again... just in time for... SMACK... classic heart-shot-kick, 4 or 5 hops and .... DOE DOWN!!!! 2nd deer of the day! Right on!!!!

Not sure what actual yardage was, but less than 300 (I think), more than 200 (I think). Long enough for me to need 9x to get a good clear bead on her, and long enough for me to find her in the scope during the lag time between BOOM and SMACK. Regardless of actual yardage, it was far (far) longer than any other shot I've ever taken, and thanks to a lot (a whole lot) of practice over the years, I was ready and able to pull it off when the chips were down without even getting my feathers ruffled. To be honest, that felt better than nailing that buck this morning. Oh. Yeah. That felt REAL GOOD!!!!

http://xjack.org/hunting/a2009wt02.jpg

And just like that, my big game season is over; freezer could stand a few more pounds of meat, but it'll be enough if The Wife(tm) doesn't tag a buck in the last few days. On both animals, the good old 150 grain Nosler AccuBond's performed flawlessly for me, yet again -- animals more/less dead on arrival, just the way I like it (I hate long track jobs!).

Now then, deer season may be done, but I have seen far (far) more coyote and wolf (both tracks, and living/breathing) this year than in any other year (by far), so I'm planning to go put a pound on a few (more) dogs before I call it a year. I just wish I could figure out how to get my 308 to go a little easier on the pelts. Anyone know the answer to that? 110 grain V-Max'es maybe?

Thanks for reading,

longhairmtnman
11-24-2009, 05:06 AM
Nice shoot'n Brother. Can you send a little luck my way? Much appreciated.

hunter1947
11-24-2009, 07:06 AM
Thats the way to get the job done BJ will be a dandy deer to put on the dinner table ,the pic of you getting this buck tells it all ,I am very happy for you :D,your story of your hunt does not get any better then this ,congrats to you http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon6.gif http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon7.gif.

5 spike
11-24-2009, 07:22 AM
the freezers not empty any more,congrats

doubled
11-24-2009, 08:28 AM
Good shooting but I am surprised that you hit it at 9x.

KodiakHntr
11-24-2009, 08:44 AM

rocksteady
11-24-2009, 08:47 AM
Congrats Adam....Looks like your season turned around in 1 day...Pretty hard to beat that....

budismyhorse
11-24-2009, 09:26 AM
Hey congrats! way to fill out the freezer...

funny about your comment regarding the "close" spots to CBK. I've heard the same thing from multiple different hunters....

Hopefully no trend here, I like the option of going out after work if I'm desperate around the end of Nov!

Hogg, Fass, Low Jo ect all supposed to be remarkably quiet this season.

Everett
11-24-2009, 09:37 AM
Well after seeing those pics I know now why you have not been seing any Deer. Its the hat they take one look at that hat and say its a wolf with a gun and they clear out the area.:-D

sawmill
11-24-2009, 10:12 AM
I have a question.....

Whats the daily bag limit for whitetails in Region 4?
19.When it`s a full moon.

sawmill
11-24-2009, 10:14 AM
Nice day Brother Jack! Meat in the freezer.excellent:-D

KodiakHntr
11-24-2009, 10:15 AM
19.When it`s a full moon.

Hmmm, looks like its road trip time then...
Full moon, that means you can hunt for 24 hours straight right?

sawmill
11-24-2009, 10:18 AM
Hmmm, looks like its road trip time then...
Full moon, that means you can hunt for 24 hours straight right?
As long as you bring a million candlle watt spot light:mrgreen:

KodiakHntr
11-24-2009, 10:33 AM
As long as you bring a million candlle watt spot light:mrgreen:

Sounds like a stop at Canadian Tire on the way is warranted....

d6dan
11-24-2009, 10:43 AM
Can't beat a day like that Brother Jack!. Thats the way to get'er done..Good eaters too. Congrats:)

LeverActionJunkie
11-24-2009, 10:52 AM
Congratulations thats a good way to end deer season for sure. Shoot heavier bullets that are less likely to expand in order to save yote and wolf pelts unless you step down to a smaller caliber.

eastkoothunter
11-24-2009, 07:37 PM
Congrats on finally filling the freezer!! Nice to see you harvest a couple deer after the rough muley season.

PS. Thanks again for the help with the mule deer

Cris

boyd050
11-24-2009, 08:31 PM
atta boy!! see , all your frustration is just a memory now.. you're smiling in the pics!!!! great job!!!!!

Bow Walker
11-24-2009, 09:03 PM
Good man Adam! Now get out there with the (tm) and spot for her.

sawmill
11-24-2009, 10:22 PM
Good man Adam! Now get out there with the (tm) and spot for her.
She is tagged out,spot for me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Congrats Bro Jack.

11-24-2009, 10:49 PM
Good goin' BJ.

Paulyman
11-25-2009, 02:40 PM
Atta Boy!

Nice and tasty i'm sure.

nano
11-25-2009, 05:07 PM
Looks like some good eating, congrats!!

brotherjack
11-26-2009, 02:26 AM
I wish I had more time to write witty replies (a little wit would help too), but unfortunately I don't have much of either at the moment (and probably won't for a few a while, yet).

So, let me say this once, to all of you -- many thanks for all the positive replies, guys (and gals), I really appreciate it!