PDA

View Full Version : Question about butchering

burger
11-23-2009, 10:35 PM
I would like your input on this senario.

Take the meat to a butcher 624 lbs with bone. Two of the other guys I went with pick it up and split it up. I go to get my share supposedly split 4 ways. Now we did ask for alot of ground and some salami and such so I get my meat and it consists of.

30lb of ground
3 boxes sausage
16 smokies
7 packs steaks (all 1 lb or less packs of rib steaks)??
1 roast.

Is it me or am I getting taken for a ride on the steaks and roasts. Weight seems a little off too but what concerns me is where are the tenderloins and the t-bones. I wasn't there to pick it up and the guys who did this was my first year hunting with them.

Why would a butcher only keep the rib steaks?? If any steaks I would think he would cut the tenderloins. I know there was no meat loss on the tenderloins as I dressed and skinned the animal.

martyonthewater
11-23-2009, 10:41 PM
seems a little light to me, how clean was the meat, did it have a dried up 'skin' on it? kind of tough to say but I'd be lookin for the rest were it me

Shooter
11-23-2009, 10:42 PM
120lbs Ground

12 boxes of Sausage (how much sausage in each box?)

64 smokies (packs of 4?)

28 packs of steaks

4 roasts.

Sounds like about the right amount of meat to me. When starting with 624lbs of bone in.

Do the rib steaks not have the loin in them?

Ddog
11-23-2009, 10:52 PM
i think it sounds right to me. one animal between 4 isnt alot of meat.

stitch
11-23-2009, 10:53 PM
pull you pants up.....you are getting screwed....that sucks.I've been in the position where I thought the butcher was holding some back,,,but never a hunting partner. I feel for ya!

whitetail2009
11-23-2009, 10:54 PM
You should get approx 55% of dressed weight when all said and done , so that would be approx 344 lbs of meat, it all depends also how many bullets hit it and so on, hope this helps??

Ddog
11-23-2009, 10:59 PM
WT is right, stitch is wrong. if you do the math its real close dont forget about the trim and fat going in the garbage.

Sitkaspruce
11-23-2009, 10:59 PM
It sounds about right, if you remove the bone from your meat. Remember that you can remove approx 30-40% of the weight for bone. It also depends on the amount of smokies and sausage there is in each pack/box.

This one reason why I do my own meat. And I use the no gut method, leaves the big heavy bones in the bush.

Weight all your meat and see what you get in total.

Cheers

SS

Big7
11-23-2009, 11:06 PM
Sounds about right. A little shy in the steak dept. but you did ask for more burger? Might account for something. Roasts will also chew up the steak count quick as well. T-bones? Depends on wether the butcher cuts meat bone in or out. Either way, you'd have t-bones or backstraps and tenderloins.

I've had it with meat cutters...the only one I trust now is myself. I've cut a few dear now and helped ruttingbuck cut his buffalo, you always know what you're getting in the end (and why) so there's no questions! It really isn't as hard to do as you might think especially with the internet and all the diagrams, instructions etc available..just a thought.

burger
11-23-2009, 11:10 PM
Meat was clean and such had a light skin like always. Not really questioning the amount of meat it just seems funny that there is no tenderloin steaks or t-bones. All the cuts were rib steaks with no loin in them. My hunting partner that i always hunt with was given 1 pack of tenderloins maybe 1 lb.

Big7
11-23-2009, 11:18 PM
hmmm....sounds a little fishy then

bridger
11-24-2009, 03:32 AM
have you talked with your hunting partners, might be the place to start. they may not be to happy being accused in public of ripping you off.

hunter1947
11-24-2009, 07:12 AM
You will get 350 poiunds of strait meat off the hanging wieght that was 624 pounds you loose 35 to 40% on bone waist.

You add up your 350 then devide it 4 ways and this is what you get.

30 pounds ground.
4 pounds of smokies.
7 pounds of steak.
I put down 20 pounds of sausages.
5 pound roast.

= 66 pounds add 4 times is 260 pounds of meat.

I would say ether one of your hunting partners ripped you off or the butcher of 100 pounds of meat thats if it was not shot up ,if so then the amount of meat you got back would seam right ?????????????...

burger
11-24-2009, 09:30 AM
have you talked with your hunting partners, might be the place to start. they may not be to happy being accused in public of ripping you off.

From my queries do you know who they are???:confused:

In my time hunting and having game cut I find it strange that there are no tenderloins to speak of. My question still is why is there only rib steaks and no tenderloins, thats it.

I was really trying to ask you all what your experiences are when you get your meat back, if you were in my situation would you all not question where the better cuts of meat are? I mean what butcher would grind up the tenderloins for sausage instead of the rib steaks?? I'm just confused.

I have no proof of any wrong doing other than my past experiences with having animals butchered and do not want to be confrontational with the people I went hunting with. I thought that this would be a good place to get opinions.

Like I said its not about the quantity of meat so much as the better cuts of meat missing(or ground up) and my frustration with that senario.

leadpillproductions
11-24-2009, 09:49 AM
If you cut and wrap yourself , then there's no problem

sawmill
11-24-2009, 10:07 AM
Been cutting my own for 25 years.never had a complaint since.Try it you will like it:-D

burger
11-24-2009, 10:17 AM
Been cutting my own for 25 years.never had a complaint since.Try it you will like it:-D

Already looking at some equipment as well as some literature to give me a bump.

stitch
11-24-2009, 10:25 AM
I still don't agree...sorry guy 7lbs of steak..1 roast? Did you get pork shoulder added to the sausage and smokies ? It seems light to me. Like I said I've been shorted before so I now butcher my own and wrap it.

3kills
11-24-2009, 10:38 AM
if the guy cut bone in steask u wont get tbones people!!! and ur hunting buddies probably kept the tbones in there share and gave you the rib steaks wich are pretty close to quality of steaks!! me i actaully prefer the rib over the tbone..better yet i prefer top sirloin over all steaks...

leadpillproductions
11-24-2009, 11:20 AM
cutting your own is real easy , just seam the muscle groups and then cut your steaks roast ect

sawmill
11-24-2009, 03:15 PM
Already looking at some equipment as well as some literature to give me a bump.
Just google home butchering .Get some good knives and spend a dollar on a decent grinder with a sausage tube.I wrap my meat in plastic first then butcher paper to protect it.
Personally I find that half the fun of getting your own meat is the cutting and wrapping.There is something extreemly satisfying about getting out the felt marker and writing on that pack of steaks and then putting them in the Freezer.And you always know what you are opening 2 months down the road.And if it is a particularly nice piece of meat I draw a smiley face on the package so I know it`s special.Go for it,it is fun and you will never go back.I love experimenting with new sausage recipe`s as well.most work out and some are just Fantastic!.Heres a tip.When I grind burger I use a pound of bacon for every 10 pounds of lean trimmed meat.Nice ratio,makes a damn nice Hamburger:mrgreen:

3kills
11-24-2009, 08:50 PM
i cut my own meat all the time too..the other day i did my aunties moose for her on the first day i did the hinds in a couple hours and they were big hinds..havent cut anything that big in a while..then a couple days later i did the fronts in a few more hours..it doesnt take long to do and goes alot faster if u have a beer and a few friends to help ya out..

j270wsm
11-24-2009, 09:13 PM
I would call the hunting partners and ask if they got any T-bones and see what they say, and If they arent happy then call the butcher and find out whats up.

sawmill
11-24-2009, 09:20 PM
Like 3 Kills said,do it yourself and you never have to wonder what the hell happend to your meat.And you will eat like a King.I do.:mrgreen: