PDA

View Full Version : How Many Times Do You Think This Will Happen?!!

.308win
11-23-2009, 08:25 PM
Driving home from work today and saw something odd in the snow bank......Couldn't believe it!!! What are the odds of this happening again any time soon!!

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p101/newfieguy1/th_8101042359000.jpg (http://s126.photobucket.com/albums/p101/newfieguy1/?action=view&current=8101042359000.flv)

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p101/newfieguy1/th_8101042359001.jpg (http://s126.photobucket.com/albums/p101/newfieguy1/?action=view&current=8101042359001.flv)

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p101/newfieguy1/8101042359005.jpg

He/she was sleeping on the meal it had just caught! took a few pics and a couple small vids with my cell and got outa there so it could finish its nap and dinner!!!

Perry

KB90
11-23-2009, 08:28 PM
That is so weird that it didn't wake up and fly away. Pretty cool though! Are you sure it was okay?

Slime green cat
11-23-2009, 08:30 PM
You sure it was just sleeping :confused: It wasn't stuck there somehow or injured and close to death ? I find it odd that you were able to touch without much of a flinch ??

Alpine85
11-23-2009, 08:30 PM
Thats pretty cool!!! I was waiting for the owl to turn and grab your finger! hahaha "never put your fingers anywhere you wouldn't put your dink" :mrgreen:

f350ps
11-23-2009, 08:32 PM
That thing is on it's way out! K

.308win
11-23-2009, 08:34 PM
You sure it was just sleeping :confused: It wasn't stuck there somehow or injured and close to death ? I find it odd that you were able to touch without much of a flinch ??

Pretty sure it wasn't stuck or anything, in the second video after i pet him he shuffles his feet around and just hunkers down in the snow again. I thought about picking it up.....but was worried it might not like it to much!

Perry

Ozone
11-23-2009, 08:39 PM
Probably wacked by a car:icon_frow

wighty
11-23-2009, 08:42 PM
I woulda kept him as a pet lol jk cool video dude

huntinnewbie
11-23-2009, 08:52 PM
Definately abnormal behavior. Was probably injured and you should have picked it up and tried to get it to a rehabilitation centre.

.308win
11-23-2009, 09:01 PM
Probably wacked by a car:icon_frow

Don't think so............Steep logging road, and we were the only ones in that area today!

Perry

.308win
11-23-2009, 09:03 PM
That thing is on it's way out! K

Very possible........but it was healthy enough to catch a squirrel running across the logging road!?

Perry

BiG Boar
11-23-2009, 09:06 PM
That is a barred owl. They road hunt and often are struck by cars. I have found two, both dead, one with a rat in its talons still. This one was obviously hurt. They dont sleep in snow banks. I speak for the group here when I say you are a moron if you actually thought it was sleeping. You will find him in the ditch if you go back and he will be dead. You can take him and get him inspected and get a permit and stuff him. Total cost will be $450 and they make an awsome mount. Sorry about the moron comment, but I already wrote it. When it moved its feet it did so because it couldnt fly away. Next time just step on its head and put it out of its pain.

.308win
11-23-2009, 09:15 PM
I speak for the group here when I say you are a moron if you actually thought it was sleeping. Next time just step on its head and put it out of its pain.

Moron eh!?........And you speak for the group!? Anyway this is not why I posted the pic and video, so that people could be bickered with. I will most likely be working in the area again tomorrow.....for those interested i'll keep an eye out for it again to see how it fared!

Perry

Tenacious Billy
11-23-2009, 09:18 PM
If that little fella is gone in the morning, my guess is he's in the something else's belly..........

d6dan
11-23-2009, 09:18 PM
The owl looks pretty lethargic,almost as if it was poisoned. I've seen a pigmy owl sit on a dead morning dove. He could'nt pack it away, so he sat on it until he finished eating it. Took him 3 days. But that owl isn't acting normal..

TheWalkingSlaughterHouse
11-23-2009, 09:32 PM
When you find that owl dead in the morning you should post it here: http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=42619

When I first saw this post, and saw that you thought that the owl was sleeping... I thought that it was very much like when a stork sends babies from above, a ninny would believe that. It reminds me of a skit that went something like this.

Owner: No, no, 'e's uh,...he's resting.
Mr. Praline: Look, matey, I know a dead owl when I see one, and I'm looking at one right now.
Owner: No no he's not dead, he's, he's restin'! Remarkable bird, the Barred owl, idn'it, ay? Beautiful plumage! They love snow banks!
Mr. Praline: The plumage don't enter into it. It's stone dead.
Owner: Nononono, no, no! 'E's resting!
Mr. Praline: All right then, if he's restin', I'll wake him up! (shouting at the cage) 'Ello, Mister Olly owl! I've got a lovely fresh baby elk for you if you show...
(owner hits the cage)
Owner: There, he moved!
Mr. Praline: No, he didn't, that was you hitting the cage!
Owner: I never!!
Mr. Praline: Yes, you did!
Owner: I never, never did anything...
Mr. Praline: (yelling and hitting the cage repeatedly) 'ELLO POLLY!!!!! Testing! Testing! Testing! Testing! This is your nine o'clock alarm call!
(Takes owl out of the cage and thumps its head on the ground. Throws it up in the air and watches it plummet to the snowy floor.)
Mr. Praline: Now that's what I call a dead owl.
Owner: No, no.....No, 'e's stunned!
Mr. Praline: STUNNED?!?
Owner: Yeah! You stunned him, just as he was wakin' up! Barred owls stun easily, major.
Mr. Praline: Um...now look...now look, mate, I've definitely 'ad enough of this. That owl is definitely deceased, and when I found it in a snow bank not 'alf an hour ago, you assured me that its total lack of movement was due to it bein' tired and shagged out following a prolonged squawk.
Owner: Well, he's...he's, ah...probably pining for the fjords.
Mr. Praline: PININ' for the FJORDS?!?!?!? What kind of talk is that?, look, why did he fall flat on his back the moment I got 'im home?
Owner: The Barred owl prefers keepin' on it's back! Remarkable bird, id'nit, squire? Lovely plumage!
Mr. Praline: Look, I took the liberty of examining that owl when I got it home, and I discovered the only reason that it had been sitting on its perch in the first place was that it had been NAILED there.
(pause)
Owner: Well, o'course it was nailed there! If I hadn't nailed that bird down, it would have nuzzled up to those bars, bent 'em apart with its beak, and VOOM! Feeweeweewee!
Mr. Praline: "VOOM"?!? Mate, this bird wouldn't "voom" if you put four million volts through it! 'E's bleedin' demised!
Owner: No no! 'E's pining!
Mr. Praline: 'E's not pinin'! 'E's passed on! This owl is no more! He has ceased to be! 'E's expired and gone to meet 'is maker! 'E's a stiff! Bereft of life, 'e rests in peace! If you hadn't nailed 'im to the perch 'e'd be pushing up the daisies! 'Is metabolic processes are now 'istory! 'E's off the twig! 'E's kicked the bucket, 'e's shuffled off 'is mortal coil, run down the curtain and joined the bleedin' choir invisibile!! THIS IS AN EX-OWL!!
(pause)
Owner: Well, I'd better replace it, then. (he takes a quick peek behind the counter) Sorry squire, I've had a look 'round the back of the shop, and uh, we're right out of owls.
Mr. Praline: I see. I see, I get the picture.
Owner: I got a slug.
(pause)
Mr. Praline: Pray, does it hoot?
Owner: Nnnnot really.
Mr. Praline: WELL IT'S HARDLY A BLOODY REPLACEMENT IS IT?!!???!!?
Owner: N-no, I guess not. (gets ashamed, looks at his feet)
Mr. Praline: Well.

Kye
11-23-2009, 09:39 PM
Sleeping :lol:

Clearly something is wrong with it, Owls don't sit in the snow on the road and sleep. Being a Bard owl I would have left it as well, lots of them out there and depending where this was it's considered to some to be a reason why the spotted owl is going the way of the dodo bird. There not exactly a rare bird, leaving it there is probably the most humane thing to do, it's nature after all and who knows it might live.

pete_k
11-23-2009, 09:40 PM
Thanks for taking the time to post the vid and pics.

If he's alive when you look tomorrow and you think he'll recover at a rehab place, make sure you cover his head and wings in a towel before you pick him up. This way he won't panic by seeing things or further injure himself by trying to flap.

TheWalkingSlaughterHouse
11-23-2009, 09:41 PM
the spotted owl is going the way of the dodo bird. .

Just a heads up. The dodo bird was hunted to death.:-D

ruttingbuck
11-23-2009, 09:41 PM
Wtf Over!!!!

Hank Hunter
11-23-2009, 09:55 PM
Thanks for posting, ignore the insults. you did what you thought was right

Pete
11-23-2009, 10:19 PM
As part of my business I deal with hurt or injured wildlife on a regular bases. We deal with quite a few owls of every species every year. Though we try our best to save as many as we can sometimes it is just not possible. In this situation all you can do is try. Put a shirt or a towel over him and then gently pick him up from behind. It is important that you do not let him grab you with his talons, they are amazingly strong. Once you have him in hand you can put him into a cardboard box or keep him wrapped up until you can. If you phone the wildlife reporting center 1 800 663-WILD they will tell where or pass on a contact number where the bird can be taken to for help. A lot of the Vets. do free work when it comes to injured wildlife. What is really cool is to save one of these guys and to be there when he is released.

troutseeker
11-23-2009, 10:23 PM
Natural selection at work. I wonder why they bother trying to rehab these things, stuff dies all the time, it's a way of life.

Big7
11-23-2009, 10:26 PM
One lucky coyote is gonna be crappin pin feathers tomorrow afternoon!

Blainer
11-23-2009, 10:33 PM
I had a similiar experiance years ago.My buddy and I,while out hunting,seen a great horned owl on the ground.I thought it would be neat to get a picture and so I snuck up and took a picture at 10 feet,then again at 5 feet and eventually I was standing over the owl.It was obviously injured,so we put on gloves and picked him up,we built a cage from materials we could salvage and kept him with us for the next 2 days of our hunt.We fed him moose meat and water and eventually dropped him at owl rehabilitation on our way out.
The owl had developed a fester on his talon and was unable to hunt and was severly malnutritioned.They rehabilitated him with antibiotics and he put on 4 lbs and they eventually let us release him.
Bizarre but true.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/100_0401.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=16397&size=big&cat=500)

coho456
11-23-2009, 10:35 PM
I picked one up once thought it was dead threw it in the trunk,drove for an hour to the house opened the trunk and the owl was standing on my spare tire ,left the trunk open and it was gone in the morning .

Gord
11-23-2009, 10:35 PM
I haven't laughed so hard in a quite a while after reading Bigbore 14s comments, the owl skit was funny too! Thanks. Gord.

Blainer
11-24-2009, 04:06 PM
I'm curious as to what transpired today?

Bowtime
11-24-2009, 04:59 PM
Is it possible he could be concussed (concusion). Looks like a solid snow bank he dove into.

moosinaround
11-24-2009, 05:02 PM
Thats pretty cool!!! I was waiting for the owl to turn and grab your finger! hahaha "never put your fingers anywhere you wouldn't put your dink" :mrgreen:
Very sound advice!! Lets repeat ........................................."never put your fingers anywhere you wouldn't put your dink" :mrgreen: Should be saving pricks, AND fingers by the hundreds now!!! :wink:

d6dan
11-25-2009, 08:17 PM
I will most likely be working in the area again tomorrow.....for those interested i'll keep an eye out for it again to see how it fared!

Perry

Whats the update on the Owl?. Perry

.308win
11-28-2009, 07:41 AM
Is it possible he could be concussed (concusion). Looks like a solid snow bank he dove into.

Sadly the Owl didn't make it, The logging road we were on was plowed the week before when it was very mild and everything had frozen again a few days before we started working. Thinking when he dive bombed the squirrel, he must have pile drove him self into the frozen snow bank.

Perry

Dutch Ppoacher
11-28-2009, 08:04 AM

isn;t that the truth!!!!!!

sawmill
11-28-2009, 08:21 AM
Here is a question.........why is your handle Ppoacher?Seems an odd choice.:confused:

d6dan
11-28-2009, 10:21 AM
Sadly the Owl didn't make it, The logging road we were on was plowed the week before when it was very mild and everything had frozen again a few days before we started working. Thinking when he dive bombed the squirrel, he must have pile drove him self into the frozen snow bank.

Perry

Perry did you see him all frozen up or just asuming?. If it were me, I'd pick him up and have him mounted...:wink:

bforce750
11-28-2009, 10:32 AM
owls dont sleep on snow banks thats rediculous!!!!!! its injured or sick fool

.308win
11-28-2009, 05:43 PM
Perry did you see him all frozen up or just asuming?. If it were me, I'd pick him up and have him mounted...:wink:

Yeah, he was frozen, and the road got plowed again before we got there.

Perry

redcomet
11-30-2009, 09:08 PM
I wouldn't worry about it Perry. It is unfortunate when a bird like that is hit by a vehicle (or smacked the snowbank).

But Kye is right, barred owls are very common and are expanding their range westward from the east, often at the expense of other less common owls in BC, such as the western screech owl and spotted owl.

It would have made a nice mount though....

Buckmeister
11-30-2009, 09:52 PM
I found a small owl last fall just sitting on the ground beside a house. It had flown into a big picture window and knocked itself silly. When I got up close to it, it popped an eye open. I didn't want to touch it so I used the hammer I had with me and slowly waved it in front of the owls face. It's head would turn and follow the hammer wherever I placed it. Then I gently nudged it and thats when it popped both eyes open and they both got really wide. I think it had been sleeping with it's one eye open.
The owl didn't move but stayed there sleeping all day. I called an animal shelter that deals with this kind of thing and they asked me to bring it in. I got a box and was intending to push the owl inside. When I got the box close, it woke up and flew away, across the street and into some trees. The shelter told me that was a good sign. They said they had heard of that kind of thing before and said that the owl just needed a good rest after such a hard knock on the window.

ElkMasterC
11-30-2009, 09:57 PM
yeahhh...when you call someone a "moron", you don't speak for the whole group, sorry.
Unless it's someone on my Douche List, and then it's OK...lol

I agree, barred owl, and something bad happened to it to be like that...esp with a mouse in it's claws. Poor thing....owls are cool.
I bet the mouse was thinking "Why didn't the car hit it BEFORE it grabbed me?"