PDA

View Full Version : Deutsch-Drahthaar, Wirehaired Pointing Griffon, German Wirehaired Pointer

KB90
11-22-2009, 06:55 PM
Hey Guys.

I have decided that I want to go with a wirehair pointer when I'm finished school and find a job etc.

Can anyone tell me what the difference between these 3 breeds is???

Deutsch-Drahthaar, Wirehaired Pointing Griffon, German Wirehaired Pointer

To me they all look very similar. To me the Deutsch-Drathaar looks like a shorter haired version of the pointing griffon. And to be honest I don't notice much difference between the GWP and the WHPG either... And the DD seems to be less known.

I've been searching the internet and they all seem to be a good hunting dog. But is there any noticeable differences between them that I am not picking up on?
How would I decide which to go with?
Are anyone of these more common than the other?

Cheers Kyle

Angel
11-22-2009, 10:54 PM
Hi Kyle,

I would talk to Dutchie about the DK's. I was looking for a GSP for awhile and he got me hooked on the DK's. They are a very ineteresting breed and are a no BS hunting machine. I believe Buck has a DD and someone else on here. Here's a helpful link which really got me started on my search http://www.nadkc.org/

From what I have found about the DK community is that the people and breeders are so keen to help and educate people looking to get a DK. Like I said I would tallk to Dutchie if your interested in these breeds and he can point you in the right direction.

Good Luck

KB90
11-23-2009, 11:52 AM
Thanks for the info Angel, Iv'e never seen a DK before.

Sasquatch
11-23-2009, 12:35 PM
Try and meet some breeders, owners and dogs of the breed you are interested in. Hands on research, as opposed to reading the info online, will help make the decision easier.

Any of the three you mentioned will make great hunting partners for you. That is same list I will choose my next dog from.
The DD is probably the most robust of the group you listed, which may or may not be what you are looking for. Griffs have a reputation for being easy to train and GWPs are just great all around hunting dogs.

So many dogs....so little time!

Angel
11-23-2009, 05:09 PM
I am a short hair fan so my choice would still be a GSP or DK. the DK are typicaly less hyper then your average gsp. As well the DK's abilities speak for themselves.

Viking
11-23-2009, 06:20 PM
Do beleive the Griffon was developed in France and was used in the german developed, Deutsh-Drahthaar (German) or German Wirehaired Pointer (English)

birddogs
12-01-2009, 09:18 PM
my god,,some people have no idea what they are talking about,,theD-D and the wirehair pointer are the same dog,the DD,,is a wirehair that is trialed and trained to a german standard ,,,,.a very high standard set in germany,,i have had shorthairs,,i now have a wirehair.any of these breeds will make you happy,,just do some research on the breeder and breed,,,

Steeleco
12-01-2009, 09:30 PM
my god,,some people have no idea what they are talking about,,theD-D and the wirehair pointer are the same dog,the DD,,is a wirehair that is trialed and trained to a german standard ,,,,.a very high standard set in germany,,i have had shorthairs,,i now have a wirehair.any of these breeds will make you happy,,just do some research on the breeder and breed,,,

Not the greatest first post I've seen. Dutchie has done lots of homework on these beast. I'm sure he'll be along soon.

KB90
12-01-2009, 10:53 PM

......Okay

dutchie
12-01-2009, 11:43 PM
None are bad dogs. I am not as kowlegable to talk about the griffon but "Sasquatch" has one so he might be able to help out with the exact differences. But from what I understand they hunt alot closer then any other gun dog, have much longer hair and excell in the water.

Deustch Drathaar(DD) means German Wirehair
Deustch Kurzhaar(DK) means German Shorthair

Notice there is no pointer on the end of the German Dogs, Ther Americans wanted a pointing dog exclusively and that is the reason they changed the breed standard.

If you talk to a GWP owner they are the same dog... But the actual fact is they are much different dogs.

ENERGY - The GWP are more wound up generally, because that is the standards they are bred to. The AKC wants a running dog were the Germans want a dog that hunts close.

WORK - The DD can sit beside you for 4 hours retiveing ducks, and 5 mins later you can have them pointing and retreiving, and 5 mins after that you will be able to have them blood track a wounded animal.

The DD was bred to be a dog that does it all... protect, blood track, retrive, point.

The GWP was bred to excel in pointing with the Americans adding more energy (Feild Trials) and they stopped working on blood and retrive work(duck).

IMO THE BIGGEST DIFFERENCE!
that a DD and DK have to go through 2 hunting tests, a conformation test, and have all thier x-rays reg'd though a Breed Warden in German to be able to be eligable to breed. This is simply for a papered dog. This ensures you to have a dog that will not be geneticaly defective.

AKC or CKC dogs, have a open breeding policy, meaning no extra regulations to the breed policy. A male and female dog can bot have hip Dysplacia and still breed and be papered :confused:... A responsible breeder will not but not all AKC CKC breeders are responsible.

With a DD, DK you can have a dog that passes all of the hunting and conformation test but if the dog does not pass the x-rays or the eye exam etc... it is not eligible to breed and papered. even if it is prize 1 in the VJP(Derby) HZP(Solms) and VGP (tests in the German System for the DD and in Brackets the DK)

To me this is confidence bred in and owner does not need to worry about the common "pure bred dogs are prone to problems". 99.999% of all Deustch Drathaar, Deustch Kurzhaar breeders will give a "warrenty" on the dogs they breed. The GWP's breeders, not very many of them will warrenty the pups... or not ones that I found.

If you have any other questions shoot me a PM, I will do my best to help.

Dutchie

Angel
12-02-2009, 10:59 AM
http://www.myoutdoortv.com/hunting-microsite/a-dogs-life.html

heres a great link to hunting videos and information about Labs,DD's, DK's and GSP's. Its a good watch.

12-02-2009, 11:29 AM
so to step in
is there any known breeders of the Deustch Drathaar in BC that people have experiance with?
sorry

LYKTOHUNT
12-02-2009, 12:39 PM
Kyle pm me if you are serious, my uncle breeds and trains the Drahthaar as I understand it is a very serious business ,alot of requirements . He lives in Nova Scotia and regulary travels to Germany for events ,judging etc.I may be wrong but they are very selective as to gets to own these dogs or at least some bloodlines.

dutchie
12-02-2009, 12:40 PM
There are no reg'd breeders in Canada west of Manitobia, that is according to VDD Canada website.

Zacomb and Buck, I believe, both got their DD's from Ken Dinn in Newfoundland at vom Willow Rock

http://www.vomwillowrock.netkennel.com/

Dutchie

dutchie
12-02-2009, 01:00 PM
Kyle pm me if you are serious, my uncle breeds and trains the Drahthaar as I understand it is a very serious business ,alot of requirements . He lives in Nova Scotia and regulary travels to Germany for events ,judging etc.I may be wrong but they are very selective as to gets to own these dogs or at least some bloodlines.

X2 (not that my uncle breeds but about being very selective) Most breeders have the litter sold before it is whelped. There can be a waiting list for over a year for a dog, One Dog i know has a 2 year wait for APPROVED homes and the breeder will not allow first time handlers or people that have never tested in the German system.

Dutchie

huntingfamily
12-02-2009, 06:34 PM

As of last night, George has 2 nice males left from his litter.

Here is a link:
http://www.vdd-canada.ca/public/the-breeding-system-litter-announcements.htm

Cheers,
hf