PDA

View Full Version : Irish Setter boots junk ?

Slime green cat
11-22-2009, 01:23 PM
Bought a pair of Irish Setter Mountain Claw XT's at the start of hunting season .
I have worn them a total of 3 times, with maybe about 2 hrs total of what I woud call actual "hiking" the rest of the time was just easy going strolls in the bush .
I was just looking them over and found a seam on the outside leather where the arch of my foot is, has totally let go :confused:

I guess I may have just got a bum pair ? but I am sure not impressed .
I am on my way to Red Wing shoes in Langley right now to get a new pair or my money back .... not really sure I want a new pair though :-?

How is everyone elses Irish Setters holding up ? Hopefully I just got a lemon and the replacements will be ok ..
Other than the seam coming appart, I really like the boots, they are light and super comfortable .

bsa30-06
11-22-2009, 01:29 PM
I have had a pair of irish setters for about 3 years never had any problems.Feet were always warm and dry, and the boots are light and comfortable.I think maybe you just got a bad pair,im sure they'll take care of it.

Ozone
11-22-2009, 01:32 PM
I got some Elk Trackers this year and on a few hunts my feet were the only thing dry. I have been looking for anything like you have found and found nothing. I even stood in ankle deep water for a few minutes while crossing a stream and not wanting to spook a doe.

landphil
11-22-2009, 01:42 PM
I'm on my 3rd year on a pair of Irish Setter Big Game Trackers, and while I haven't been on any sheep hunts or anything like that, I do put miles on them, and they still look like new. Yesterday it was knee-deep snow drifts and they still kept my feet comfortable. I also use Red Wing boots at work and they outlast anything else I've tried in the same general price range by 2:1. I'd say take advantage of their warranty, and get a new pair.

cloverphil
11-22-2009, 02:09 PM
title of the thread threw me, I thought your dog kicked you in the groin, lol

jessonml
11-22-2009, 02:10 PM
I loved my Irish Setter Deer Tracker 2's and then one of them fell out of my truck door when I was driving home from hunting (giving someone directions and my windows were too muddy to roll down) So I was left with one really great right footed boot. I was choked.

Johnnybear
11-22-2009, 02:50 PM
I'm on the fourth year with my Elk trackers. Great boots. I treat them 2 times a year with artic dubbin and they have been holding up great. My only complaint is they are too warm for early season (1000 gram model).

Trapper
11-22-2009, 03:29 PM
Been using Irish setter boots for years,and when this one's are wore out i'll buy another pair.

Steeleco
11-22-2009, 03:37 PM
I too am on my second pair, the first pair are still used for dry spring bear hunting, the new pair are my wet day boots.

Not sure of the exact model, but most have a 1 year leak proof guarantee, take them back and get a new set.

Slime green cat
11-22-2009, 05:12 PM
Just got back with a brand new pair :mrgreen:
They wanted to send them out to be restitched because it was past the 30 days ..... I said thats not going to happen because Im going hunting this weekend and need my boots. The girl then said "well, sorry thats our policy" I then told her again that I wanted new boots ..... she went and got the manager .... He told me again that they will only replace the boots if its within 30 days :evil: (its been about 60 days)I was about to snap, but I calmly showed him the blown seam again and told him my feet have probably been in these boots less than 12 hrs total ..... I spent $300 on these boots, and now I have to go hunting this weekend with no boots ?
He looked at the seam again and said the leather looked different and possibly thinner on that one boot :wink: he said he would warranty the leather and gave me a new pair :-D

Even though it took a little arguing, I am happy with the service at Red Wing Shoes and will be back again .

Benthos
11-22-2009, 05:12 PM
i'm at the end of my third season of irish setter Tamaracks.

For the first two seasons they were great. warm, comfortable, and waterproof.

This season the seams ripped a small hole on BOTH boots. Shitty. My only solution was to put some goop in the holes to prevent water from getting in.

They were great other than those seams coming apart, but, for the price I paid, I'd hoped they would have lasted longer.

pete_k
11-22-2009, 05:27 PM
Great boots. First season with mine. Used them at least 20 times with no problems. Just starting to break them in.
Irish Setter will probably take care of the problem for you.

Slime green cat
11-22-2009, 09:36 PM
Good to hear all the positive comments about Irish Setters, sounds like I just got a lemon .
I have a new pair, so Im happy.... hopefully this pair will be as good as all your guys :)

nano
11-22-2009, 09:51 PM
I too have a pair of Elk trackers and I love them. They keep my feet warm and dry and there nice to walk in.

ElkMasterC
11-22-2009, 09:53 PM
Take em back. Get a new pair.
Had my pair for 7 years of elk and deer hunting, and they don't owe me a thing.

Danimal
11-22-2009, 10:46 PM
I have had a pair of Elk hunters that have stood up from wrangling in the Yukon last year, wore em everyday for 3 months in tough terrain and still wear the same pair on my local hunts here. Still dry and warm! I think you got a unlucky set?

wildprotien
11-22-2009, 11:22 PM
Well I don't like that 30 day thing at all !!!! That might be the break in period wearing them around the yard before hunting season ...geeee.
Redwing gave me great service about 10 years ago on a pair of hiking boots that had a problem "Vasque" I think they were called.
They delivered a new pair right to my door and the store manager was the courier, thats service.
Glad it worked out for you and of course they look better now in the eyes of hunters reading this post you made.

ElkMasterC
11-24-2009, 08:08 PM
Vasques are good too. I had a pair for 3 years, wore em all over SE Asia, and several months of hunting, and 3 years of work. Would recommend them also, as well as the service at Redwing. My Workboots are Redwings also, ad they help me thru 12 hrs on concrete.

GoatGuy
11-24-2009, 08:09 PM
First set of irish setters lasted 3 weeks, second last a bit more before they started leaking. Use them for late season cold hunts where there's no chance of moisture building up on the boots and flat terrain. Support's all worn out as well.

kyleklassen
11-24-2009, 09:18 PM
got 2 seasons out of mine. now they leak like a sieve. no split seams. they seem too be leaking up by the toe where there is kind of a mesh patch. to help breathing i assume

deer nut
11-27-2009, 09:46 PM
I have a set of whitetail hunters (?) and they are great - just enough insulation. Feet do get sore after serious hiking though- my Meindl's are better for that!

dutchie
11-28-2009, 03:33 AM
I got the Elk Trackers and I use them for everything. Hunting, camping, hiking, snowshowing, duck hunting, and going to the soccer field to watch my little bro play soccer.

The first hunt I did with them was a over night hunt (hike in 5km in the pouring rain) hiked though the alpine the whole day (10km according to the gps), hiked back down 5km to the truck. then repeated it the next day...No blisters, dry and warm feet. My friend was using his Danners and his feet were wet within 2 hours of hiking.

Dutchie

Lucky77_
11-28-2009, 08:40 PM
Ive had problems there as well, the old boy loves his pair, however not so proud of mine

3006pg
11-28-2009, 08:44 PM
best pair of boots ive ever had

Phil
11-28-2009, 08:48 PM
I bought a pair of 870s this fall. Lots of miles on them already and they are holding up great. Water tight, warm and comfortable. Lots of ankle support too.

Jerry D
12-02-2009, 11:06 PM
seems some pretty good responses have been given... now whats better?

Gore tex or Irish Setter's ultra dry?

Walksalot
12-03-2009, 08:01 AM
I have two pair of Irish Setter boots(200 and 1000 gram thinsulate) and really like them. I had a problem with one pair and got them replaced with no hassle at all.

quadrakid
12-04-2009, 07:59 PM
I had a pair do the same thing,came right apart at the seam, the warranty is for a year as far as i was led to believe. I don,t know where they come up with thirty days. I got a brand new pair but would not buy irish setters again.

4pointer91
12-04-2009, 10:41 PM
Bought a pair of Deer Trackers in the summer for $149 from Fritz Shoes in Penticton. They seem fine, warm and comfortable ...no complaints so far.

LeverActionJunkie
12-04-2009, 11:11 PM
Red Wing Boots are the only boots I wear. Have been wearing Red Wing work boots for about 6 or 7 years now and am only on my thirds pair. I don't know any other welders getting 2.5yrs out of a pair of boots. After this success I bought a pair of Elk Trackers a couple of years ago and have been happy ever since.

The key to good leather boots is to treat them regularly to keep the leather from drying and aging, I use mink oil on my work boots. Gore Tex lined boots require a sealant that is compatible I was told mink oil will plug the gore tex and remove some of it's qualities.

SAVAGE300
12-05-2009, 01:38 AM
seems some pretty good responses have been given... now whats better?

Gore tex or Irish Setter's ultra dry?
prospectors, 15 years and soled once ( warrantee) and still going

landphil
12-05-2009, 02:51 AM
Red Wing Boots are the only boots I wear. Have been wearing Red Wing work boots for about 6 or 7 years now and am only on my thirds pair. I don't know any other welders getting 2.5yrs out of a pair of boots. After this success I bought a pair of Elk Trackers a couple of years ago and have been happy ever since.

The key to good leather boots is to treat them regularly to keep the leather from drying and aging, I use mink oil on my work boots. Gore Tex lined boots require a sealant that is compatible I was told mink oil will plug the gore tex and remove some of it's qualities.

Hey, you have the same results on the work boots too - I get 2 comfortable years in the truck shop with them, nothing else I've tried will even make 1 year under the same conditions. I don't have to oil mine though, they get a-plenty all on their own in my work environment.:wink: