PDA

View Full Version : Clearwater Forest Service Road Conditions

LUNKER
11-22-2009, 11:15 AM
Does anybody know the road conditions in the Clearwater area, snow levels etc. I am thinking of taking my 8 year old son for his first muley trip next weekend and was wondering if the roads are still driveable. Thanks for any info.:confused:

No Tag Soup Please
11-22-2009, 03:16 PM
We were up in Clearwater last weekend. And the roads were already getting pretty bad for driving on. About 6-8 inches of snow even down low. Could only drive about 2km's up any of the FSR's. Made for alot of hiking in unknown country. Good times though. I would imagine there will be alot more snow up that way now to. Maybe try Barrier or someplace a little closer to Kamloops?

plumbcrazy
11-22-2009, 03:36 PM
Most roads were ice and snow free for the first 5 or so km. After that ice skating. Way to much snow up really high to drive much of anything unless it has been plowed. Just came back.

horshur
11-22-2009, 05:30 PM
just chain up your fronts and you will be fine it takes 5-10 minutes. However IMO best hunting is low anyway.

M.Dean
11-22-2009, 06:14 PM
No matter where you go, Clearwater or around here, expect extreme winter conditions on the back roads,take chains, good shovel, jack etc and real good tires! Have a safe trip and good luck!

Skinny
11-22-2009, 06:24 PM
i was up there last weekend quite a bit of snow an roads were pretty icy in the evenings an mornings, got around everywhere by quad all the way to as far as we could go, saw about 40 deer a few bucks but nothing legal, if you head up i wish u good luck

dana
11-22-2009, 06:35 PM
Not much being plowed these days due to the fact that our last mill shut down. There are a couple BCTS blocks being logged right now but other than that, road hunters are SOL. Lots of ground down low where a guy can hike though. Not the easiest ground for a 8 year old in late Nov though. Steep slopes with frozen soils are the norm. If I was planning a late season trip with an 8 year old, I'd probably focus on the low ground around the Loops or Merrit.

BIGHUNTERFISH
11-22-2009, 08:07 PM
I was at my Taxidermists house the other night and he showed me two monster bucks that got taken in the Tum Tum lake area.This is not an easy hunt but if you hunt the timber and put the effort in you will probably see a few bucks that have racks that look like elk.

bowhuntinkid
11-22-2009, 09:35 PM
i haavnt bin seeing any legal bucks latly dana is right stay low there are no deer up high

bowhuntinkid

LUNKER
11-22-2009, 09:37 PM
Thank you for the info. May have to reconsider or try earlier next year. Winter is coming hard and strong this year on the island anyways.

Prowler
11-22-2009, 09:44 PM
Thank you for the info. May have to reconsider or try earlier next year. Winter is coming hard and strong this year on the island anyways.

Ya, but it has made for some of the best Island hunting I have seen in a long time:-D I am usualy praying for snow in November, but by the time it comes, the season is usualy over..:-?
I am headed out that way in a couple of days. Guess I will be hunting my LOW spots...:)