PDA

View Full Version : Thieving hunters!

XMD70
11-21-2009, 07:10 PM
Lost 2 more 2 trail cams on Tuesday. Someone followed my tracks through the snow near the airport in PG, took both cameras. That makes three this year. Am I the last honest hunter out there? Did get lots of great pictures this year. Several bull moose, lots of cow/calf, quite a few deer. A family of bears, too....they even mussed up one of the cameras, tasted it a bit. but it took a couple of unethical, thieving "hunters" to end it all. Maybe next year iI should be putting out booby traps along with the cameras.

Ozone
11-21-2009, 07:18 PM
Can you prove it was hunters? Got pics to back up your claim?

Jelvis
11-21-2009, 07:31 PM
Maybe airport security nabbed them Wha ?
Jel -- spy's

slicky72
11-21-2009, 07:38 PM
I live in the LM , if you don't put a chain on it it'll grow legs over night . That is an unfortunate statement of society today.

Steeleco
11-21-2009, 07:40 PM
Not that they weren't but it's all too easy to label these "Thieves" as something else. We all hate it when the media labels "Poachers" as hunters.
I feel for your loss, hope you catch the person(s) responsible.

aletheuo
11-21-2009, 07:45 PM
Not that they weren't but it's all too easy to label these "Thieves" as something else. We all hate it when the media labels "Poachers" as hunters.
I feel for your loss, hope you catch the person(s) responsible.

+1 Sorry for your loss

gary murray
11-21-2009, 07:48 PM
Would anyone other than hunters know what these things are and what they are for that are hanging from a tree. Sure they would still need a software to download pics but anyone can download any software they need nowadays. I'm not saying they were hunters because some thieves will take something just for the thrill and the rush of the risk of trying to get away with something.

ruger#1
11-21-2009, 07:49 PM
Yes , the goons that grow weed use them as well.

sawmill
11-21-2009, 07:50 PM
ARRRG BILLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Any one who would do that ain`t a hunter THEY ARE
F,,,,NG THIEVES.
Your lead line does nothing to make honest hunters look better.
Maybe you could have titled it "THIEVING HIPPY DOPE GROWERS" or "GAY BAST4RDS STOLE MY STUFF" or ...."ALIENS ARE WATCHING US WITH OUR OWN CAMERAS!"

Real guys don`t mess with other guys stuff.Lots of guys out right now and 99.9% are good folks.There are the asshats but they ain`t like you and me and your friends and mine.We are hunters.They are criminals.

Stone Sheep Steve
11-21-2009, 07:54 PM
Would anyone other than hunters know what these things are and what they are for that are hanging from a tree. Sure they would still need a software to download pics but anyone can download any software they need nowadays. I'm not saying they were hunters because some thieves will take something just for the thrill and the rush of the risk of trying to get away with something.

At least on my cam all they have to do it pop the memory card into a camera to view the pics. Easy as pie.

I'm kinda glad there was no snow to end(almost end) the rifle season.

SSS

sawmill
11-21-2009, 07:59 PM
And as a side note I would really like the title of this thread either changed or delete the whole damn thing,:THIEVING HUNTERS":confused:
My god........Heavy sigh,.............

gary murray
11-21-2009, 08:18 PM
And as a side note I would really like the title of this thread either changed or delete the whole damn thing,:THIEVING HUNTERS":confused:
My god........Heavy sigh,.............
I see your point. REAL and TRUE hunters would not thieve another hunters property. They are just thieving scumbag criminals even though they have a gun over their shoulders.

Spokerider
11-21-2009, 08:20 PM
Would be rather interesting to rig up a "bogus" trail cam with pepper spray and a small charge or trigger of sorts to set it off upon opening the cam case, lol. Serve'em right!

Spy
11-21-2009, 08:56 PM
I met a Hunter up in Deerholm, Behind Duncan, Vancouver Island today.He had luckely just retrieved his trail cams, which he had left for two weeks.He had some great pictures of deer & a would be thief that tried to remove one of his cams. Fortunatley for him the cam was chained & the would be thief could not remove the cam, but had taped up the lens. Unfortunatley for the would be thief the cam snapped a shot of him.

I told the gentleman hunter about HuntingBc.ca & the posts about thieves stealing cams.He told me he would check out the website,Join & post pictures of the would be thief. The would be thief had a rifle over his shoulder. But he cant be classified as a hunter,Real hunters don't mess with other people's property!
So Crusty if you have joined please post the pic so we can all see this Idiot.
He missed the thief by mere minutes & new it was the guy in the pics cause he could tell by the time recorded on the cam & tracks in the snow, BUSTED.
I don't understand why people just cant leave other peoples property alone.
If it does not belong to you leave it the F....k alone.

Jagermeister
11-21-2009, 08:59 PM
The cardinal rule is. "Lay down a track and someone is sure to follow".

So, if laying down a track is unavoidable, don't leave anything for POS' to take. Simple rule.
Having lost 2 prior to this, what made you think that the third time would be lucky? :shock:
"Hey, there he goes again, let's go bag another one!"

dino
11-21-2009, 09:04 PM
these guys left mine alone. I always put my cams way off the beaten track .......I thought.
http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee306/heydino/th_IM000002-1.jpg (http://s233.photobucket.com/albums/ee306/heydino/?action=view&current=IM000002-1.flv)

slicky72
11-21-2009, 09:06 PM
I am dying to see that picture

eric
11-21-2009, 09:27 PM
guys check out camlockbox.com

might help to discourage the thieving Ass holes

BlacktailStalker
11-21-2009, 09:32 PM
I lost one last week, second in two years. I can relate :(

born2hunt
11-21-2009, 10:11 PM
Wow , these little *******s are every where ! they should have a GOS on thieves, i know i could limit out here in nanaimo:)

gary murray
11-21-2009, 10:33 PM
Someone tried to steal mine earlier this year and i was pissed so i can only imagine how pissed the guys are that have lost more than one to these thieves especially high end models like the $600.00 one BlacktailStalker had stolen the first time.

moosecaller
11-21-2009, 10:34 PM
Your run of the mill thieves would not take the time to follow up a trail/track to steal a cam they are basically lazy sorts, the only people in the area where our unlucky fellow hunter got his cam stolen is another hunter. I see nothing wrong with calling them thieving hunters, if they were hunting and stole the cam then......appropriate handle for them.

pete_k
11-21-2009, 10:43 PM
Not all hunters are ethical people.
Sorry for your loss buddy.

hunter1947
11-22-2009, 06:49 AM
It is the shits you lost your trails but if it was me when there is snow on the ground I would be taking them home.

Leaving tracks to your trail cams is just inviting thieves to take them ,sorry again about your lose http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon13.gif.

Ambush
11-22-2009, 09:14 AM
I moved my cams last weekend because a buddy had his stolen in the same area.
It's no secret that there are some big deer around PG. Most of them in "no shooting" areas, and the city limits incorperates some big chunks of bush.
I think many of these thefts are by poachers that have been caught on camera being somewhere, with a gun, that they shouldn't be.
They been caught tresspassing and/or hunting illegaly and they want to destroy the evidence.

One of the cams a buddy lost was by car theives. We didn't know until later that the trail we put the cam on was a pick-up spot after dumping the stolen car.

I would also dare to say that there are some anti-hunters who would take great delight in ruining your day and feel a great sense of accomplishment in doing so.

Last year I put a camera on a very obscure trail between two bigger trails. At the end of the week. I had four different people, none of which looked like hunters out scouting.

It sucks to have stuff stolen!! But it's become a fact of life.

Perhaps we hunters should get together and start a game-cam sting operation.

phoenix
11-22-2009, 09:35 AM
I've had 2 stolen so far, one off my own property! I'm getting ready to set up an exploding one, with a warning on it and see if anyone wants to try taking it, haha. Aren't most of the new ones password protected, one of mine was, I built the other myself and it wasn't. Maybe they should have a warning on them that they are useless without the code. Also maybe a bigger memory card with a virus on it for anyone who tries to open the pictures on their computer without the correct password.
Kim

mark
11-22-2009, 10:04 AM
Its becoming a real problem everywhere, how Id like to catch someone in the act!!!
"I like to think", that the kind of people that go for a good hike off the trails and roads are good people, but guess its not the case anymore!
I havnt even had mine out this year because I cant find a spot where I dont think anyone else will be?
In 1 year and 2 different locations I got pics of 8 different hunters???
I put a note inside mine that goes roughly like this.....

Hi, I see youve found my cam.
Please dont steal, this cam has an encrypted password and is useless without it!
My name is #### ##### and my number is ***-**** if you have a problem with this cam here call me and I will gladly remove it.
If you like I could also email you pics of the game in "OUR" area!

I also customize it a bit, so if someone else has it or uses it, I can recognize it from otheres!

I had a few guys check it out, but it never got stolen, never got a call either.
I did have it spun around 180 degrees, facing the ground, (took that as a warning)

Would be nice to rig a boobytrap cam with an exploding green ink dye that doesnt wash off for a week, let him try explaining that to all he knows! :-D
Or just an exploding one! :twisted:

Ron.C
11-22-2009, 10:26 AM
Yep it sucks,

I had a treestand/and all steps stolen last year and found a guy in the back of my truck earlier this fall.

I know the guy in my truck was hunting becuase he had a rifle on his back. The gut pile 30 yards from where my treestand was leads me to beleive it was a hunter who stole that as well.

But honestly, I could care less if the person who stole my property is hunting, picking shrooms, salal whatever... It's a piss off

Triggerman
11-22-2009, 10:51 AM
Pisses me off just to read about people stealing cameras. I have two Trailcams and have caught trespassers and have a lot of pics of illegal hunters on my property. I have posted no trespassing and no hunting signs on all entrances as I hunt the property and I allow a few others as well.

After seeing one guy five or six times I got a licence plate and was able to get his address and paid him a visit. His face was pretty white when when I showed up at his house. I told him that since he did not take the time to ask permission (which I would have given) I better not see him near my property again.

I use an infrared Trailcam so the flash doesn't show up for others to see but when the battery gets low, a red light comes on the camera for all to see - it's taped over now.

I digress, anyway, sorry to hear about your loss. I hope you catch them!

:twisted:

Mik
11-22-2009, 11:03 AM
That truly sucks, I have been thinking of buying one, but it seems like to much of a worry.

Marc
11-22-2009, 11:12 AM
I picked one up last fall but haven't set it up as I have little to know time to drive out to where I usually hunt deer. It has a metal box that the trail camera goes in and is secured to the tree with a python cable lock. I would think you'd have to either shoot the lock or carry a set of bolt cutters to take the camera. Oh I guess a chainsaw would do the trick as well. How have you guys been losing your cameras? Are they cutting chains / trees?

gary murray
11-22-2009, 11:35 AM
Here's a pic of mine. It was attached to a screw in rod and had a lock cable around the tree. Whoever it was twisted it in every direction and bent the lock bracket. Broke one of the fasteners on the camera and the next one was almost ready to break as you can see from the white strain marks around it.
http://i481.photobucket.com/albums/rr171/bassplayer1972/100_0166.jpg

phoenix
11-22-2009, 11:49 AM
My homemade one had a python lock. I have no idea how they cut it as there was no signs of anything around the tree it was on, it was just gone. The other was a Bushnell and they cut the tree down to get it. They took I guess about a foot of the tree with them. I still like my imbedded computer virus idea. How about it you computer savvy guys out there, is there a way to do it? Get their computer to send everybody in their e-mail address book plus you an e-mail saying they stole a game cam and who owns it. Also if it locked down their computer afterwards and only you have the password to fix it:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:
Kim

gbear
11-22-2009, 01:23 PM
I had one stolen this year as well. I figured I had done everything I could. I had it in a steel box that was attached to the tree with 5 inch lag bolts. The box itself had a padlock on it and then I modified the box so I could fit a python lock through it and around the tree. Well, I went back and the whole works was gone, even the lag bolts. It's over a kilometre off a bush road. I figured someone found it and mush have come back with the right tools.

Ambush
11-22-2009, 01:35 PM
Perhaps it's possible to install an "Onstar" type of tracker or one of the GPS enabled trackers.
They steal it. You find it. You pay the thief a visit, with or without the RCMP.

You can get a program that sends pics directly to your e-mail or cellphone. At least then you'd have pics of the offender that you could make public. Someone will know him.

Fixit
11-22-2009, 01:42 PM
. I still like my imbedded computer virus idea. How about it you computer savvy guys out there, is there a way to do it?

ive got a friend who's a microsoft tech. ill ask him whats possible and whats not

gary murray
11-22-2009, 02:01 PM
I was thinking leg hold traps and a string to a shotgun. Nope, bad idea. I can't even remember what i did yesterday let alone setting up booby traps days ago. :???:

JCVD
11-22-2009, 02:10 PM
Ya know besides thieves there are also people who don't want us hunting at all and will take anything that we use eg; cams,stands,blinds,quad ramps. Usually they find it when they go on nature hikes. I have overheard people who have mentioned doing this type of thing. Sad world we live in. Getting a licence plate #,name any proof and charging them is about all you can do legally. Be a fun time to catch the guy coming to take your camera while in your treestand 20 yards away:twisted:.

lunatic
11-22-2009, 05:19 PM
I've been really lucky to never have mine tampered with. The areas I hunt though tend to have very few people there, and they never usually get off the trails. It almost seems as though some of you need a trail cam set up to protect your trail cam......sad :-|.