PDA

View Full Version : Antlerless Elk in 7-20 ?

Icedog
01-22-2006, 08:18 PM
I have a draw for a "nuisance" elk in 7-20, which is good 'til the end of Feb., and should allow me to put some meat in the freezer. Anyone know whether there's been enough winter weather in that part of the province to chase the elk onto the ranchland to feed? I called F&W in Ft. St. John a few weeks ago, and got the list of landowners who will apparently welcome hunters on their property and I'll start calling some of them this week. In the meantime, if anyone here has any suggestions, info, or contacts they would be willing to share, I'd be pleased to hear from them.

moose hunter
01-23-2006, 06:23 PM
my dad got an elk up there a few years ago in the dark and the winter wasnt much different from this. it should be great what nkind of rifle u using?

Icedog
01-23-2006, 07:45 PM
Haven't made a final decision on the rifle yet. I have a fair number of choices, but am leaning towards the 7mm Rem Mag. It's my "Old Faithful", and has the advantage of a little extra reach if it's needed...should do the job with some 160 gr. partitions.

Schmaus
01-23-2006, 08:10 PM
I went up last year and the year before. The extra reach is a good idea, in the fields none of us could sneak much closer than about 300 yards. Is your draw good only for 7-20 or is it good for a bunch more units like mine was? Anyway we found a lot of good info from talking to the people that run the little gas station in groundbirch in between Chetynd and Dawson Creek. They actually called a couple of people for us that weren't on the list and that is where we actually ended up shooting some elk.

Icedog
01-23-2006, 10:36 PM
Schmaus...thanks for the info. I'll definitely pursue the Groundbirch lead. I also had a draw a couple years ago, but came home empty handed...went up very late, found the elk had been chased around a fair bit already, and kept themselves well out of range. My draw appears to be just for 7-20...could be that F&W is fine tuning their management plan a bit?

CanuckShooter
01-24-2006, 06:07 AM
Oh....and don't forget to gas up at Groundbirch..as thier prices are usually lower than Chetwynd...[supporting small business]

boxhitch
01-24-2006, 07:43 AM
Tough to believe anyone could not be successful on a antlerless elk tag in that area. From what I've seen the elk are in some fields almost all year long, and these are probably the owners with the most problems. One told me I could only hunt a bull on his land if during each visit I shot two cows (he would take care of the 'nuisance' pile)

moose hunter
01-24-2006, 06:28 PM
whats his # haha:-D

buckslayer
01-30-2007, 07:29 AM
we just got back with4
only got a few pics cause at -30camera batteries don last long story and pics later.

buckslayer
01-30-2007, 08:08 AM
[quote=boxhitch]Tough to believe anyone could not be successful on a antlerless elk tag in that area. From what I've seen the elk are in some fields almost all year long, and these are probably the owners with the most problems. One told me I could only hunt a bull on his land if during each visit I shot two cows (he would take care of the 'nuisance' pile)[
/quote] sorrybut poaching is poaching no matter what and since you cant have 3 elk tags in one year that either makes you a native or a poacher you both deserve to be reported

jethrobuddy
01-30-2007, 08:27 AM
Hey buckslayer. I think boxhitch was explaining what the rancher/farmer had said to him, not what he had done. Notice the position of the word 'IF'.

buckslayer
01-30-2007, 09:47 AM
if thats the case i apologise

buckslayer
01-30-2007, 09:56 AM
Schmaus...thanks for the info. I'll definitely pursue the Groundbirch lead. I also had a draw a couple years ago, but came home empty handed...went up very late, found the elk had been chased around a fair bit already, and kept themselves well out of range. My draw appears to be just for 7-20...could be that F&W is fine tuning their management plan a bit? no the drawdoes cover lots of areas up there still if you are referiing to 2114

boxhitch
01-30-2007, 08:27 PM
if thats the case i apologise
Accepted. Its easy to be brash on the keyboard, anyone can be a warrior.

buckslayer
02-01-2007, 09:37 AM
we happened to luck out and run into a local whose parents i know from down here he seemed well respected and one of those guys everyone knows we ended up with a free almost guided hunt out of the deal first evenining we saw a big herd just as they were heading off the field for the evening the after about 50 cows and calves paraded past about 6 big bulls came out.what a sight it was about -30 with a 30 mile an hour wind killed my camera batteries quickly so no pics there. we decided to set up over that field in the morning but only 4 calves came in I shot one it dropped right in the guys driveway what luck my brother shot another right out of the hay barn and the other2 stayed in the hay barn but our partners got stuck in a snowbank and missed their chance at them so first actual hunting day 2 elk down. next morning headeed to the same spot on the way there about 20 cows calves and small bulls ran across the rd right in front of us and into the same field we had been hunting and our partners got a cow and calf out of that herd so day2 1/2 days hunting and 4 elk it was so cold i didn't get any pictures but I have some coming.

StoneChaser
02-01-2007, 10:32 AM
4 calves came in I shot one it dropped right in the guys driveway what luck my brother shot another right out of the hay barn and the other2 stayed in the hay barn but our partners got stuck in a snowbank and missed their chance at them so first actual hunting day 2 elk down.

Sounds like a hell of a "hunt".... whacking cornered calves in a haybarn must be a real adrenaline rush!

Too bad for the snowbank... could've had a triple header!

StoneChaser

Beaverhunter
02-01-2007, 08:54 PM
That doesn;t sound like hunting to me at all.

Schmaus
02-01-2007, 09:11 PM
Sounds like a hell of a "hunt".... whacking cornered calves in a haybarn must be a real adrenaline rush!

Too bad for the snowbank... could've had a triple header!

Eeaassyy now, you weren't there. Don't start with the keyboard judging, you have no idea how it really went down.

SUAFOYT
02-01-2007, 09:16 PM
I have a draw for a "nuisance" elk in 7-20, which is good 'til the end of Feb., and should allow me to put some meat in the freezer. Anyone know whether there's been enough winter weather in that part of the province to chase the elk onto the ranchland to feed? I called F&W in Ft. St. John a few weeks ago, and got the list of landowners who will apparently welcome hunters on their property and I'll start calling some of them this week. In the meantime, if anyone here has any suggestions, info, or contacts they would be willing to share, I'd be pleased to hear from them.

I have a sis-in-law that lives just S of Pouce. She used to run a B&B and still has her guest cabin. Totally separated from her main house. If you want her contact info send me a PM. Her daughter in laws folks are hunt crazy and could probably give you some good info.

StoneChaser
02-01-2007, 11:19 PM
Eeaassyy now, you weren't there. Don't start with the keyboard judging, you have no idea how it really went down.

Unless you can't read... his post spells it out pretty clearly!

FWIW, I judge no differently from the keyboard than I do over the phone or face to face.

Whacking calves in a haybarn aint my idea of sport.... call it what you like.

StoneChaser

eagleye
02-01-2007, 11:31 PM
I had that elk draw this year and went right after the season started in December. Because there was a lot of snow and because I have contacts there it was not a "tough" hunt, but the shot was on the longish side since those elk, when hunted a bit get pretty spooky. I packed my 30-338, and was glad I did. The 180 Partition at about 400 yards did the job handsomely on a big cow. They had been feeding on some round bales stacked in the field, but were coming in in the dark, and leaving before decent light in the AM.
There were about 50 elk in the group, including several bulls of different sizes, so one has to be cautious in poor light conditions. I would imagine that some of the bulls will have dropped their antlers by now. Regards, Eagleye.

buckslayer
02-01-2007, 11:52 PM
judge no differently from the keyboard than I do over the phone or face to face.either so "language not welcome here" you that is what the draw is for the peroblem elk the other 2 elk weres shot at about 300 yds but on threir way to the hay barn whats the diffrenceand none were cornered in the barn as you care to put it

Try to mind you language, this is a family site. Steeleco

buckslayer
02-01-2007, 11:54 PM
yhats why they have the draw so do what you chose but you wont get invited back if you dont kil the elk wich is why they have the draw in yhe first place

StoneChaser
02-02-2007, 12:01 AM
I see this thread is going nowhere fast... my apologies to all for the hijack.

StoneChaser

Schmaus
02-02-2007, 09:11 PM

Well glad to see you can admit when your wrong. Apology accepted.

ryanhuntslots
02-02-2007, 10:22 PM
All they did was take an animal off of its food sorse, no different than shooting a bear off a berry patch or a mule deer off of a fallen fir tree. They found an animals food sorse, set up knowing they would be there and low and behold, they were successful

buckslayer
02-02-2007, 10:28 PM
All they did was take an animal off of its food sorse, no different than shooting a bear off a berry patch or a mule deer off of a fallen fir tree. They found an animals food sorse, set up knowing they would be there and low and behold, they were successfulthanks for trhe supporti coulld not see any other point in driving all that way and not shooting an elk when the chance come up

buckslayer
02-02-2007, 10:29 PM

StoneChaser apology accepted

Steeleco
02-02-2007, 11:16 PM
While it appers that this thread is back on track, it was reported and as such edited. Thanks Steeleco