PDA

View Full Version : Tulameen / Princeton Area Recommendations for Whitetail and Mulies

PorcupineMike
11-20-2009, 03:17 PM
Hello fellow HBC users!

My buddy and I are new to hunting. We got our licenses last year and have done a couple (unsuccessful) hunts so far.

We have access to a cabin in Tulameen and we'll be staying there November 26 to 29 (see pic for general location).

So, we're hoping some of you more seasoned hunters could help out a couple noobs on their quest for venison.

Basically we have access to the following regions that surround the Tulameen / Princeton Area:

2-17 (Mulies only right now)
3-13 (Mulies and Whitetail right now)

Note: We like getting out and hiking, we're not just road hunters.

Any help is greatly appreciated!!

~Mike

mijinkal
11-20-2009, 03:32 PM
White tails in region 8 are closed as of the 24th unless you're bow hunting.
I've never hunted 2-17 before but it's open to any buck so you can shoot any mulie with antlers. Makes things a little easier in theory. perhaps somebody else can chime in on this area.
I'd go to 3-13 if I was you, although it may be a bit too far of a drive from the cabin. I'll be heading to 3-13 in 2 weeks if that means anything to you.
Look at a mapbook and see what's accessible from your area.

As a new member, you also owe us all a joke!

Blainer
11-20-2009, 03:38 PM
Whitetail are very hard to come by in that area.(note,season dates)
Region 2-17 is for only 6km on the east side of the Coq.,not alot to offer you.
I would consider studying 3-13 and target mule deer,expect the drive to take an hour from Tulameen and expect snow to be an issue.
Tulameen cam link posted,so you can keep an eye on the weather.
Good luck

http://www.tulameenbc.com/ (http://www.tulameenbc.com/)

PorcupineMike
11-20-2009, 03:49 PM
White tails in region 8 are closed as of the 24th unless you're bow hunting.

Yes, you're right, I was looking at the synopsis more and realized the error as well. Thanks for pointing that out, us noobs need all the help we can get... :)

We were actually in 3-13 last weekend. We can get there on FSRs from Tulameen. It's about 45 minutes from where we're staying (well within reasonable range).

As a new member, you also owe us all a joke!

Q: What is the cheapest meat you can buy?
A: Deer balls, because they're under a buck.

:mrgreen:

Blainer
11-20-2009, 04:08 PM
[quote=PorcupineMike;557714]
We were actually in 3-13 last weekend. We can get there on FSRs from Tulameen. It's about 45 minutes from where we're staying (well within reasonable range).

I assume you are talking Lawless?
Try find out if they are still logging,I got held up for 45min. a couple weeks back and another fella from this site was turned away on a Saturday,as they were sorting on the road.

PorcupineMike
11-23-2009, 03:25 PM
I assume you are talking Lawless?
Try find out if they are still logging,I got held up for 45min. a couple weeks back and another fella from this site was turned away on a Saturday,as they were sorting on the road.

We actually did go Lawless on the way back from Coquihalla HWY in the evening. In the morning we got to Brookemeer via FSRs northbound from Tulameen (started on Otter Lake Road).

We took Lawless back to Tulameen; the logging was wrapped up for the day and passable. We took lower Lawless (apparently there is an upper way that's easier to pass). Upper Lawless had a fallen boulder blocking the road (a log truck driver from the logging site told us this). Anyway, lower Lawless was pretty sketchy, no trucks had gone through their in sometime. Lots of sled tracks closer to Tulameen though... I wouldn't recommend using that route without a very capable truck and ample safety equipment to back you up.