PDA

View Full Version : Bounty on wolves?

la river
11-19-2009, 05:53 PM
There used to be a bounty on wolves...is there still a bounty???

ROEBUCK
11-19-2009, 06:06 PM
yes
its meant to be $250 ($@50) this year but its not been finalised!!!
you have to be a member of the bc trappers assoc,,

sako7mm
11-19-2009, 07:00 PM
Only if your in the North as the guide outfitters are footing the bill is my understanding. Never mentioned anything about having to be member of the bc trappers assoc though. Just need to get the skull to them, you can keep the hide. You would have to check your local contacts as I only spoke with a local G/O in PG.

ROEBUCK
11-19-2009, 07:13 PM
spoke to wayne sharp on monday and he told me that hes the man who will be taking the skulls and you need to be a member to get your $250

PGK
11-19-2009, 08:03 PM
What? Is that legal? A for-profit organization paying hunters to shoot wolves?

ROEBUCK
11-19-2009, 08:25 PM
not sure whos paying goabc or moe? or both
dont care either as long as i get my dosh!!
last year it was only $100 per skull !!
why would it not be legal?

ROEBUCK
11-19-2009, 08:28 PM
What? Is that legal? A for-profit organization paying hunters to shoot wolves?
there not actually paying guys to shoot wolves,there buying skulls from trappers!!

Big7
11-19-2009, 08:32 PM
there not actually paying guys to shoot wolves,there buying skulls from trappers!!
Success is in the details! Love it!

PGK
11-19-2009, 08:34 PM
Hmmmmmmmmmmm.

ROEBUCK
11-19-2009, 08:42 PM
[quote=sako7mm;557117]Only if your in the North as the guide outfitters are footing the bill is my understanding.

as far as im aware it doesnt matter were in bc you are

Wun-G-Pul
11-19-2009, 08:53 PM
When I was a kid in Kenora Ontairo in the early 50's, I would see vast numbers timber wolf carcass piled high down on the float plane docks. They got $25 each. They shot them from aircraft using shot shells. Didn't agree with it then and don't agree with it now. Shoot it and eat it, ok......

ROEBUCK
11-19-2009, 09:00 PM
you wont be eating any game !!, if people dont start to kill more wolves!

M@B
11-19-2009, 09:01 PM
When I was a kid we went to my uncles place in New Brunswick. They had a bounty on Coyote. From what I remember it was the tail we had to turn in. the skull just wreaks of effort!!lol!!

bridger
11-19-2009, 11:24 PM
the northern bc guides are buying wolves from licensed trappers in 7b and have been for a while. to my knowledge they are not paying a bounty to anyone who kills a wolf. they are doing this to encourage trappers to target wolves to a greater extent than they have in the past. if you are in favor of positive wolf management programs I think you will agree that the northern guides deserve a pat on the back for trying some positive legal wolf management methods.

mitchell
11-19-2009, 11:47 PM
it may also have somthing to do with cattlemans assn ??

bridger
11-20-2009, 05:57 AM
it may also have somthing to do with cattlemans assn ??

perhaps but i don't think so. if cattleman have a problem with wolves the moe looks after the problem for them. it amazes me that the moe will kill a wolf that kills a $300 cow but turns a blind eye when they kill $35,000 stone sheep. pretty obvious who has the clout.

proguide66
11-20-2009, 07:08 AM
I think the $ incentive to harvest wolves in BC is GRREAT......and as well hope ALL BC HUNTERS would think the same....think about how it may enhance YOUR hunting.
Some people dont want wolves 'killed off' and appreciate them as an inteligent , beautifull animal ( wich they surely are). Unfortunately , we are in direct competition with them for the same prey animals.
Left ' unchecked' the wolves WILL EAT EVERYTHING and nature will take its course wich means in some areas other species ( including us) will have to miss out on harvesting some species of prey animals for a handfull of yrs at a time...or maybe a lrge handfull of yrs.
It is IMPOSSIBLE to kill off all the wolves.....ABSOLUTELY IMPOSSIBLE !!....but their numbers can be reduced to keep the living packs VERY healthy and as well keep a healthy prey her population for all to enjoy.
Unfortunately trapping wolves is very hard , time and $ consuming and the $ for their fur makes it a guarrantee you will loose your shirt trapping wolves.....$ for skulls is a super great idea and I support it big time and hope it makes a difference for all of us out there in the future seasons to come!!;);).......

proguide66
11-20-2009, 07:14 AM
the northern bc guides are buying wolves from licensed trappers in 7b and have been for a while. to my knowledge they are not paying a bounty to anyone who kills a wolf. they are doing this to encourage trappers to target wolves to a greater extent than they have in the past. if you are in favor of positive wolf management programs I think you will agree that the northern guides deserve a pat on the back for trying some positive legal wolf management methods.
Very true!!....most of the outfitters in 7B as well own the trap lines in their guide areas. My guide partner is an avid trapper in Toad River once the guide season comes to an end. Many many hrs and $ are spent up there targeting wolves with snares. Last winter the Northern Guides bumped up some $ input in a big way wich made a HUGE difference.
They nailed 32 wolves last yr !!!...this # is a direct result of the northern guides $ input!!!:cool:
I have a feeling there's a few resident hunters that hunt the same areas and will benefit as well!!;)

boxhitch
11-20-2009, 07:18 AM
Well put, 66
MOE can't step up to the plate for obvious reasons, glad Northern Guides can do something to help out the trappers.

Hmmmmmmmmmmm.Aww, leave it alone. Nothing sinister here.

hunter1947
11-20-2009, 07:36 AM
$100.00 a skull is low in price from what I have been told ,I was told from my friend Phil Bradsaw from Cranbrook that he got $275.00 for each wolf skull he trapped on his trap line last year.

ROEBUCK
11-20-2009, 06:26 PM
$100.00 a skull is low in price from what I have been told ,I was told from my friend Phil Bradsaw from Cranbrook that he got $275.00 for each wolf skull he trapped on his trap line last year.
not sure !!
i was told it was$100 last year from wayne sharpe
but i am a new trapper so im not sure!

CanadianLefty
11-23-2009, 07:02 PM
Think about this for a second: Killing wolves only helps in the short-term.

If we reduce the # of non-resident sheep hunters by limiting the # of permits issued to GOAB for Stone Sheep/Dall/Bighorn, we're much better off in the long-term. They're taking out the best genetics and not incentivised to manage the sheep only the numbers of sheep. Some are pilaging the lands of our collective animals for the almighty $$$$$.$$!

They then accuse the wolves of very poor trophy sheep quality and fewer sheep and we all listen and agree...hmmmm!?

KB90
11-23-2009, 07:06 PM
How much is a wolf hide worth?

ROEBUCK
11-23-2009, 07:16 PM
a good wolf pelt is worth around $150 this year,in prime with no bullet holes!
it takes an experianced trapper the best part of a day to skin and flesh a wolf!

CanadianLefty
11-23-2009, 07:20 PM
Moreover, some guides/outfitters buy our wolf skulls for $100 when they can resell them for double that- they are F#%*$*G us twice!

Finally, we need to look at ourselves as partly to blame! Very few of us have the courage to do that! Many of us work in dirty industries: Metals and Mining, Pulp and Paper, or else are not giving back to the environment. We are destroying our habitat and providing easier access to remote areas where both hunters and wolves can have a simpler time to kill more animals. We are all part of the problem!

Solution:
Form a strong sportsmen coalition, get involved in government to take control of GOAB and put them in their place.
Limit # of permits given to guides/outfitters
Donate $$$$ to help conserve sheep hunting
Write your minister, MNA, MP and tell them about what's going on with GOAB
Encourage your employer to give more to the environment
Start a <insert your company here> conservation fund for sheep
Be more selective in your sheep hunting and skip a few years when you shoot a cranker
Shoot/trap wolves
Use environmentally friendly products
Be a Canadian!

elker
11-23-2009, 08:46 PM
I hope guide outfitters in Vancouver Island will do the same as their fellow guides in Northern BC. Winter is coming, I will try predator hunting. It will be very satisfying if I could get some $ from doing it.

hunter1947
11-24-2009, 07:46 AM
How much is a wolf hide worth?

Its not the wolf hid that brings in the big bucks its the skull thats the money maker ,a trapper might get $50 bucks for a large wolf hide that is in good shape http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon7.gif

houndogger
11-24-2009, 08:45 AM
Moreover, some guides/outfitters buy our wolf skulls for $100 when they can resell them for double that- they are F#%*$*G us twice!

Finally, we need to look at ourselves as partly to blame! Very few of us have the courage to do that! Many of us work in dirty industries: Metals and Mining, Pulp and Paper, or else are not giving back to the environment. We are destroying our habitat and providing easier access to remote areas where both hunters and wolves can have a simpler time to kill more animals. We are all part of the problem!

Solution:
Form a strong sportsmen coalition, get involved in government to take control of GOAB and put them in their place.
Be more selective in your sheep hunting and skip a few years when you shoot a cranker
Shoot/trap wolves
Be a Canadian!
I think you need to give your head a shake if you don't think we have a wolf problem in BC. Is your coalition going to pay 250 a skull?

hunter1947
11-24-2009, 09:05 AM
I think you need to give your head a shake if you don't think we have a wolf problem in BC. Is your coalition going to pay 250 a skull?

There always will be a wolf problem in BC from the north to the south ,they only thing that can be done is to control them ,we will never get rid of them but we all can do our best to control http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon7.gif.

olharley guy
11-24-2009, 07:19 PM
I think the $ incentive to harvest wolves in BC is GRREAT......and as well hope ALL BC HUNTERS would think the same....think about how it may enhance YOUR hunting.
Some people dont want wolves 'killed off' and appreciate them as an inteligent , beautifull animal ( wich they surely are). Unfortunately , we are in direct competition with them for the same prey animals.
Left ' unchecked' the wolves WILL EAT EVERYTHING and nature will take its course wich means in some areas other species ( including us) will have to miss out on harvesting some species of prey animals for a handfull of yrs at a time...or maybe a lrge handfull of yrs.
It is IMPOSSIBLE to kill off all the wolves.....ABSOLUTELY IMPOSSIBLE !!....but their numbers can be reduced to keep the living packs VERY healthy and as well keep a healthy prey her population for all to enjoy.
Unfortunately trapping wolves is very hard , time and $ consuming and the $ for their fur makes it a guarrantee you will loose your shirt trapping wolves.....$ for skulls is a super great idea and I support it big time and hope it makes a difference for all of us out there in the future seasons to come!!;);).......

Howdy, the above post is so true! The G/O -if they are buying wolf skulls as sort of a bounty payment. every little bit helps in my opinion and I have posted before about the destruction wolves can do on the moose, caribou and sheep populations as seen by my own eyes numerous times.

This topic comes up quite often and every year there are the yea and nay people who post on the site.

Controlling the amount of predators-wolves and black bears by whatever means will definitely bring the number of grass eating wild animal numbers up substantially, which means more chances to fill the reident hunters freezers.

Our Gov't should take some lessons from the Alaska Game Branch who seem to care quite a bit about the local residents and do predator control on an annual basis.

For example, in one area in Alaska (Mcgrath) a wolf control program was started in 2003 and the moose population has grown from 2,744 to an estimated 5500 at the present time. These numbers are up substantially and they are hoping to see 6-8000 mose in this area alone and it is being done by wolf predator control.

Other areas are seeing the same sort of growth in moose and caribou populations. This is PROVEN FACTS on improving populations and the wolves will never be totally destroyed-just need acceptable population levels.

The conservation types are always on their case but they seem to push it aside and listen to the residents-in the long run they really don't give a sh*t what some Hollywood starlet has to say and have yet to change their policies on this type of predator control.

Our government seems to do more catering to the other groups that would like to eliminate hunting altogether in B.C. and some foriegner types that want hunting stopped so they are able to take more photos of bears etc. and line their own personal pockets.

They don't really listen to BCWF and the likes as they don't seem to be as forceful and pushy as the American hunting lobbying groups. We need a Charlton Heston type spokes person! (again we are the easy going Canadians)

Maybe they should bring back the real bounty on some of these predators as was years ago but what I would really like to see is the type of predator control used by our Northern neighbour so us old guys don't have to pack a 125 lb. moose hind quarter 6 miles out of the bush and have a bit more choice before we pull the trigger. Ha!

I am also sure there will be nothing done if anything will be done at all about wildlife matters until the Olympics are finished because the gov't does not want any news sensationalism stories which may turn away some of the billion dollar investors that they are hoping will be in B.C.?

I have an article re predator control from an Alaskan newspaper I would like to post but not sure how to do it but if someone would give me their email I will forward for them to post. (even an article about a rabid wolf attacking a hunter). Thanks Later

Lucky77_
11-24-2009, 07:31 PM
cant shoot it and eat it if the wolves beat you to it

KB90
11-24-2009, 07:40 PM
Excellent Post Olharley Guy!

houndogger
11-24-2009, 07:54 PM
There always will be a wolf problem in BC from the north to the south ,they only thing that can be done is to control them ,we will never get rid of them but we all can do our best to control http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon7.gif.
Agreed 100%. I heard the Island outfitters were paying $400 a wolf? Did you hear that Wayne?

hunter1947
11-25-2009, 08:55 AM
Agreed 100%. I heard the Island outfitters were paying $400 a wolf? Did you hear that Wayne?

Yes you are correct my trapper friend that I trap with said he was told they are getting $400.00 dollars a skull ,I think its time to get the predator caller out and find some cash for next years hunting $$$$$$$$$$$$ http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon7.gif.

chilcotin hillbilly
11-25-2009, 09:48 AM
$400, wow. A friend of mine on the island trapped 26 last year.

BlacktailStalker
11-25-2009, 09:51 AM
Not anymore they arent, they stopped last year or the year before (on Vancouver Island)

KFactor
01-01-2010, 05:23 PM
"a good wolf pelt is worth around $150 this year,in prime with no bullet holes!
it takes an experianced trapper the best part of a day to skin and flesh a wolf!"

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/buttons/quote.gif (http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=560017) http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/buttons/multiquote_off.gif (http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=560017) http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/buttons/quickreply.gif (http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=560017)
Can't be much of an experienced skinner if it takes that long. I could do it in 4 hours when I was 15 years old. Maybe you're talking about really short days? Maybe he should let it thaw first.

ROEBUCK
01-01-2010, 07:01 PM
Can't be much of an experienced skinner if it takes that long. I could do it in 4 hours when I was 15 years old. Maybe you're talking about really short days? Maybe he should let it thaw first.[/quote]

thats impresive!

skining out a wolf splitting the lips and turning the ears and the tail ,doing all 4 feet with claws attached for a rug and fleshing and boarding it in 4 hours is very quick indeed!!
well done!!

you do know wolves have to be case skinned for taxidermy!

or there worthless!

KFactor
01-01-2010, 09:12 PM
I thought it was illegal to sell, animal parts??

KFactor
01-01-2010, 09:20 PM
I know all about turning lips and ears. I was born in a cabin and everyone knew my grandfather by the name 'mush' . Selling a skull is still an animal part for profit the way the book says it. If they're gonna pay me 400 for a skull alone, that makes about 500 per wolf after expenses. I might just go back to trapping! A good trapper should be able to bait 5 or 6 a day and forget about the martin!

Camp Cook
01-02-2010, 09:38 AM
WOW now I have something to do with all the wolf skulls I'll have this year... :D

303Brit
01-02-2010, 12:33 PM
If they were still doing the Island bounty, I would be extending my Parental leave :mrgreen:

KFactor
01-03-2010, 06:54 PM
So all this talk about outfitters bounty is over?? I'm going to have to make some phone calls here. Island Outfitters huh. If it sounds too good to be true--it is. These wolves wouldn't have to be prepared for taxidermy. Bullet holes shouldn't make any difference----.

KFactor
01-05-2010, 11:21 PM
Here's the answer I received from Island Outfitters.

Sent: Monday, January 04, 2010 12:54 PM
Subject: Re: Form Request

>I have no idea what you are talking about, I am the owner and I am not
> buying any wolf skull.
>
> Ward

d6dan
01-05-2010, 11:26 PM

> buying any wolf skull.
>
> Ward

Maybe hunter47 is talking about guide/outfitters?...:confused:

303Brit
01-05-2010, 11:49 PM
I think you will find BTS corrected Hunter's comment, they stopped paying a bounty on the island lasxt year or the year before.

And who cares how fast you can skin and flesh a wolf, you looking for an internet merit badge???? If it takes Trapper "X" the better part of the day and he doesn't feel that $150 is worth the better part of his day then so be it.

I hope they bring a bounty back next year, would be nice I would def be in on targeting some.

Spy
01-05-2010, 11:58 PM

> buying any wolf skull.
>
> Ward
Thats just to funny I can just picture wards face when he read this.

KFactor
01-11-2010, 07:46 PM
I talked to Conservation about wolf bounty from outfitters and they don't seem to know anything about it either but were definitely interested in it!

boxhitch
01-12-2010, 12:03 AM
Only cuz you let it happen........ twice.
You are not here for the sport, are you ?

Nobody with smarts will fess up to anything called a bounty. Someone wants to buy skulls or green hides or tails, that is fair trade.

houndogger
01-12-2010, 12:12 AM

Solution:
Shoot/trap wolves
Be a Canadian!

Do you know what a skull is worth? They are paying $250 this year. They are also only buying trapped wolves, to encourage trapping of wolves. That is all.

BlacktailStalker
01-12-2010, 12:17 AM
kfactor; LOL you emailed Island Outfitters the fishing store in Vic ? :lol:
He meant Island Outfitters as is plural guiding outfits :biggrin:

Thats funny

Secret hali baits, stack em up boys :lol:

hunter1947
01-12-2010, 06:35 AM
a good wolf pelt is worth around $150 this year,in prime with no bullet holes!
it takes an experianced trapper the best part of a day to skin and flesh a wolf!

I myself have never skined out a wolf ,I did asked my trapper friend the other day on how long would it take him to skin out a wolf he told me two hours ,he said that the paws are the hardest to do..

boxhitch
01-12-2010, 08:40 AM
Skinning is one step in preparation
Fleshing, sewing, boarding adds another couple of hours.
Then the turning, cleaning, brushing etc that may be needed.......

ROEBUCK
01-12-2010, 10:09 PM
I myself have never skined out a wolf ,I did asked my trapper friend the other day on how long would it take him to skin out a wolf he told me two hours ,he said that the paws are the hardest to do..

i myself HAVE skinned out a wolf< and prepared it for sale and it took me a total of 7 hours , skinning ,fleshing, turning,splitting, pinning, boarding and then the work after drying ,
im no expert!
, but i know 2 guys that are, and they both laughed when i mentioned finishing a wolf in 2 hours!
why would you its a past time, not a race.
the guy who taught me how to skin and prepare a wolf consistantly kills wolfs well into double figures annually

OutWest
01-12-2010, 11:08 PM
Howdy, the above post is so true! The G/O -if they are buying wolf skulls as sort of a bounty payment. every little bit helps in my opinion and I have posted before about the destruction wolves can do on the moose, caribou and sheep populations as seen by my own eyes numerous times.

This topic comes up quite often and every year there are the yea and nay people who post on the site.

Controlling the amount of predators-wolves and black bears by whatever means will definitely bring the number of grass eating wild animal numbers up substantially, which means more chances to fill the reident hunters freezers.

Our Gov't should take some lessons from the Alaska Game Branch who seem to care quite a bit about the local residents and do predator control on an annual basis.

For example, in one area in Alaska (Mcgrath) a wolf control program was started in 2003 and the moose population has grown from 2,744 to an estimated 5500 at the present time. These numbers are up substantially and they are hoping to see 6-8000 mose in this area alone and it is being done by wolf predator control.

Other areas are seeing the same sort of growth in moose and caribou populations. This is PROVEN FACTS on improving populations and the wolves will never be totally destroyed-just need acceptable population levels.

The conservation types are always on their case but they seem to push it aside and listen to the residents-in the long run they really don't give a sh*t what some Hollywood starlet has to say and have yet to change their policies on this type of predator control.

Our government seems to do more catering to the other groups that would like to eliminate hunting altogether in B.C. and some foriegner types that want hunting stopped so they are able to take more photos of bears etc. and line their own personal pockets.

They don't really listen to BCWF and the likes as they don't seem to be as forceful and pushy as the American hunting lobbying groups. We need a Charlton Heston type spokes person! (again we are the easy going Canadians)

Maybe they should bring back the real bounty on some of these predators as was years ago but what I would really like to see is the type of predator control used by our Northern neighbour so us old guys don't have to pack a 125 lb. moose hind quarter 6 miles out of the bush and have a bit more choice before we pull the trigger. Ha!

I am also sure there will be nothing done if anything will be done at all about wildlife matters until the Olympics are finished because the gov't does not want any news sensationalism stories which may turn away some of the billion dollar investors that they are hoping will be in B.C.?

I have an article re predator control from an Alaskan newspaper I would like to post but not sure how to do it but if someone would give me their email I will forward for them to post. (even an article about a rabid wolf attacking a hunter). Thanks Later

Excellent info. Alaska's Wolf Control Program is a great one in my opinion. I've read a few items on it in the past. It's not popular with many non hunters obviously but it does seem like they listen to the residents. I believe it benefits all. PM sent so I can read the article.