PDA

View Full Version : Last chance for my first season

rab89
11-19-2009, 02:33 PM
Well, rifle season is ending after this weekend, I have sunday monday and hopefully saturday off.
it's my first season so I'd really like to end it well with a nice deer.
I have whitetail and mule tags, located in Kelowna b.c

so I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction, I just got a buck bomb and a deer call for the weekend and I think I'm heading up Goudie, anyone willing to disclose some information as to where exactly I should go?
I want to set the buck bomb in the middle of a clearing somewhere, then sit in the bush and see what I can call in.

I know it's a lot to ask, but so far no luck on my first season, so I'm hoping for some help!
if you PM me, not everyone will know about it.

Thanks guys!
Ross Buchanan

kbb
11-19-2009, 03:38 PM
don't shoot a mulie up goudie, season closed:cry:

rab89
11-20-2009, 02:52 AM
don't shoot a mulie up goudie, season closed:cry:

yea i just checked the regs again, looks like white tail only.
thanks so much for those who sent pm's, anyone else got some info?

rab89
11-21-2009, 06:31 PM
well no luck today, saw 2 cow moose, 1 whitetail doe and 3 mule does.

thinking about trying the 201 tomorrow, anyone got some ideas?

calvin L
11-21-2009, 07:59 PM
Try and find snow , some does . check every track to come a cross for a toe drager . try rattling & grunting . carmi fs , wilkenson creek , trapping creek . will hold bucks but it will also hold a ton of hunters good luck .
calvin L

rab89
11-22-2009, 12:59 AM
I tried a few grunts today, but heard nothing back, i just got my grunt and am still learning so i dunno if i'm doing it right. i just learned from youtube.

there were lots of toe drags up Goudie, and lots of seemingly fresh tracks, but we only saw movement in the morning.

thanks calvin, i'm going to check out some spots on google earth

rab89
11-22-2009, 02:36 AM
looks like wilkinson creek is the one. fingers crossed!

GoatGuy
11-22-2009, 08:09 AM
Find yourself a spot that overlooks a trail or two get the wind in your favour, sit and wait. You don't need to see far just be in a spot that has some deer in it.

Lots of breeding going on right now.

rab89
11-23-2009, 12:30 AM
nothing again today, we tried to go up to wilkinson creek via 201 FSR, but the road we were going to take in was heavily snowed on so that didn't work, we ended up driving to the 200 fsr and hunting "browning" parked at the top where there were tracks with toe drags, and some fresh rubs.(yea i know, road hunting! but my hunting partner wasn't down for hiking today)
I sat and called for about an hour and a half until it was too dark.
Nothing came out!

I was doing a mature buck grunt and did a few estrus calls, along with spraying some doe in estrus buck bomb.

Turns out my season isn't quite over, my father in law said he would take me bow hunting, so I'm going to sight in an extra bow he has asap and see what we can find, he is a veteran hunter, so i trust he'll find me some kind of whitetail.

Thanks again for all your help guys!
anyone have more tips on calling? can i mix up the calls a bit? today I was doing a doe in estrus then a long (15 is mins) pause and then a mature buck grunt. should I just stick to one of them?
I'll probably be getting a rattle bag for christmas for next year :)

GoatGuy
11-23-2009, 08:34 PM
If you're using scents they should be set up ahead of time. You should know the area, where the rubs and scrapes area, which way deer go, which way the wind normally blows, how to get in and out without stinking it out.

There's a fair bit to calling. Biggest advice is don't call too often because the deer will be able to pin point your position, sneak in and wind you before you even see them. Some times they'll come running in right away but most of the time they come in quiet.

If your hunting partner doesn't want to walk ask to get dropped off.

My advice would be to find a good spot, get the wind in your favour and sit. Lots of hot does running around and bucks chasing them. Just need to be in the right place.