PDA

View Full Version : region 7-20 leh elk

3kills
11-19-2009, 11:46 AM
okay so my dad and my uncle got drawn for antlerless elk in 7-20 as i m sure a few others on here did too...i have a couple questions bout this draw.is it better to go early in the draw or later? is it hard to get access? we have a pretty big list of farmers that we have put together so i think it might be easy for access i think the only issue we will have is findin the elk on the farms that we have access for..so what i m worried about is havin access to one farm and then see them on the next door neighbors farm that we dont have access to.

curt
11-19-2009, 12:51 PM
funny thing is a few years back i called pages of those farmers they all said the same thing they rarely see the elk until the snow fly's hard and they run out of food like Jan_Feb thats about ll i can tell you from my experience.

xtremearchery
11-19-2009, 01:57 PM
I have the same draw. May I ask where you got the list of ranch owners? Friends of mine have got that draw before and they all say the same thing.... wait for loooootttttsssss of snow! Usually puts you in Feb.

3kills
11-19-2009, 03:02 PM
i got my list from a friend that has a friend..plus a few guys from around here that have been there a couple times...i think we are goin to try early and then if we have to go back up again..we have a friend up in that area and she is givin us snow reports and elk reports

KB90
11-19-2009, 03:27 PM
Well the couple times we went, it really depended on the snow. Both times we went in Feb. The first year we went there was lots of snow and we had no problem getting our elk and we seen alot of elk and tracks. The next year there was literally no snow, and we only seen a couple elk on peoples land we had no permission. That trip we went home with no elk.

And as for your worry it happened to us both trips. We had permission on one guys land and he told us the bottom fields were not his and we were not allowed to hunt there... sure enough there were 30+ elk out there. The second trip was a similar story just on another persons property.

All I can say is just before you go, start phoning everyone on your list and find out if they have elk on their land. Before we went we had narrowed our list down to 2 or 3 peoples land who had seen elk recently in their fields.

Good Luck!

elkdom
11-19-2009, 03:52 PM
funny thing is a few years back i called pages of those farmers they all said the same thing they rarely see the elk until the snow fly's hard and they run out of food like Jan_Feb thats about ll i can tell you from my experience.

news flash! the snow has been flying hard and heavy! about 2 feet of the crappy stuff the last couple of days, so much so, most school bus routes were canceled the last few days, minus 10 Celsius last nite!:-?

3kills
11-20-2009, 12:38 AM
elkdom thats what my police officer friend up in dawson was tellin me too...

curt
11-20-2009, 09:32 AM
the wildlife branch has a list of farmers wanting some animals removed from their land they are very cooperative with that.

xtremearchery
11-20-2009, 10:09 AM
the wildlife branch has a list of farmers wanting some animals removed from their land they are very cooperative with that.
Thanx! I'll check into that.:mrgreen:

daycort
11-20-2009, 11:19 PM
news flash! the snow has been flying hard and heavy! about 2 feet of the crappy stuff the last couple of days, so much so, most school bus routes were canceled the last few days, minus 10 Celsius last nite!:???:

2 feet of snow!!! Come on now....you BS your friends and I will BS my friends, but lets not BS each other. There is just over a foot every where I go from the Kiskatinaw to the Halfway down mile 95. It is going to be one of those mega snow mild winters up here.

The elk are just starting to hit fields as the snow in the bush is started to cover forage.

3kills
11-20-2009, 11:34 PM
2 feet of snow!!! Come on now....you BS your friends and I will BS my friends, but lets not BS each other. There is just over a foot every where I go from the Kiskatinaw to the Halfway down mile 95. It is going to be one of those mega snow mild winters up here.

The elk are just starting to hit fields as the snow in the bush is started to cover forage.

i talked to my friend up that way today and she said they have 2-3 feet and it is still snowin

daycort
11-20-2009, 11:42 PM
i talked to my friend up that way today and she said they have 2-3 feet and it is still snowin

aw come on,I bet her husband gave her that tape measure or she is looking at the cm's!!:).

Looked out my door just now and I may have 15". It is not over my boots and they are well below my knee.

ARC
11-21-2009, 11:22 AM
aw come on,I bet her husband gave her that tape measure or she is looking at the cm's!!:).

Looked out my door just now and I may have 15". It is not over my boots and they are well below my knee.

Agreed. There is not a couple feet of snow. I just got back yesterday from deer hunting up there and will be heading up again next week for an LEH elk. The snow wasn't above my boots yet.

elkdom
11-21-2009, 12:18 PM

oh come on! you take the opportunity to call me a liar! I would like to take the opportunity to tell you my personal opinion of you, is you are a mouthy arse hole! there is a total accumulation of 26 inches of snow on my property and surrounding areas, whitetail deer now walking through my property have snow near thier stomach,and area south towards TR where I service heavy equipment has just as much, and drifting snow is not included in the overall depths, those places snow can be over 4 feet deep , and last night at 4 pm the temperature was minus-18 Celsius,

bite me daycort!, I wouldnt "BS you" !,your too busy "BS'n your self"

lunatic
11-21-2009, 01:12 PM
Apparently snow is NOT like rain and snows EXACTLY the same amount everywhere! I'd say we got 42" here....but I may be lying!

elkdom
11-21-2009, 01:17 PM
Apparently snow is NOT like rain and snows EXACTLY the same amount everywhere! I'd say we got 42" here....but I may be lying!

so what you are saying is? the snow is just up to your knees!:wink:heh heh heh

eric
11-21-2009, 04:43 PM
Tumbler area got a BIG dump of the white crap :cry: but the area's around FSJ and north of there only have the 15" of the stuff.