PDA

View Full Version : Squamish this weekend?

Rhys
11-19-2009, 10:51 AM
Well I have one maybe 2 weekends remaining to get out before the end of the season.

After getting skunked on our Moose LEH, and no deer either, i'm itching to get out and get something before the end of the year.

I am thinking about heading to Squamish this weekend but it looks like it is going to be pretty darn wet and snowy. Do you think the deer will still be moving around or will they be hunkering down in the thick stuff with a forcasted heavy rainfall and 5-10cm of snow possible?

Anyone been out up there lately? Will they still be up high or moving down lower because of the snow?

I am going to go anyways but just wanted to see what people think of the chances :D

I might get one more opportunity first weekend of December and I am happy for the chance to hunt, regardless of the outcome.

Rhys

One Shot
11-19-2009, 02:37 PM
Tough hunting there unless you know where they are by doing a lot of scouting. I have friends up their so I get up there regularly to visit and we go up the valleys. Watch out for logging trucks working 7 days trying to get timber out.

Rhys
11-19-2009, 03:44 PM
Thanks One Shot, I have a few areas as well, a good friend lives up there but is unfortunately out of town this weekend.

Guess I will just give it the good old college try :D

Rhys

seanps
11-19-2009, 03:54 PM
Watch out for logging trucks working 7 days trying to get timber out.

Is that why they've been so busy lately -- trying to get logs out before the snow comes?

One Shot
11-19-2009, 06:03 PM
Up in Vancouver now at a friends and we are headed to Squamish tonite.

Phil A. Bowl
11-19-2009, 06:07 PM
let me know how you do! I am thinking about my first trip to the area next weekend

One Shot
11-21-2009, 12:41 AM
Logging is done last log truck and equipment came out today. The roads will not be maintained any more, although the grader was still parked on the main late tonite. If the snow level drops the roads may be impassable soon. Good snow level at some higher elevations. Parts of the main were flooded this morning going out in the begining but water level dropped off by the time we came out tonite.

cloverphil
11-21-2009, 01:51 AM
was up in squamish earlier this month, didn't see any deer anywhere we went, we did see 3 large bull moose though, just after they crossed Elaho river, I guess they've moved over a region from the summer forest fires

Amphibious
11-21-2009, 07:06 AM
Logging is done last log truck and equipment came out today. The roads will not be maintained any more, although the grader was still parked on the main late tonite. If the snow level drops the roads may be impassable soon. Good snow level at some higher elevations. Parts of the main were flooded this morning going out in the begining but water level dropped off by the time we came out tonite.

logging is still active in the squamish valley, near Tatalus Creek. we have 3 or 4 days left, if the weather will ever let us finish. nothing hangs around oncw we fire up the 214, so I would skip this area.

wildcatter
11-29-2010, 05:09 PM
Anyone been out there this past week or weekend?
How much snow, is it still possible to go in the Squamish River road or Elaho with a 4WD?
Any deer sighting or luck getting one?
Thinking of going the next couple days and do some mulie hunting.
Any new info would be appreciated.

seanps
11-29-2010, 09:47 PM
I was out yesterday. The road isn't plowed past the hydro dam, but there's under a foot of snow on the road past there -- and looks passable in a 4WD truck. There was a single lane of tire tracks, and I saw a few F150s drive in without any trouble. No idea how far up they went.

The Ashlu Road didn't have tire tracks, just evidence of a snowmobile having headed up.

I know this because I left my home in Vancouver well before 5 a.m., only to have to turn around once I got to the hydro station. There was no way my little car was going to make it through that snow. Didn't get a job early enough this fall to buy a truck. What a lame end to my hunting season! I'm praying for a heatwave this week.

There are most definitely deer in the area; I've been hunting a few spots with a ton of sign, scrapes and rubs, heavy tracks and droppings, etc. between mile 23 and 35-ish.

Saw what I thought was a spiker the weekend on the 21st, but missed getting a shot at it because of a total comedy of errors ... had the dog with me, hadn't been paying attention, left my binoculars in the car, etc.

There's at least one cut block that has a game trail running down the middle of it that's not evident from the road. The other areas I've seen deer sign are also a ways off the road, in thicker bush.

*** If anyone's heading out this Saturday or Sunday and wouldn't mind giving me a ride in and out, please let me know. Could meet in Squamish and I'd just need a drop-off/pick-up in one spot.

TheProvider
11-29-2010, 09:51 PM
Snowed a good 5 inchs in Squamish tonight but now its turning to rain. Suppose to dump all week

wildcatter
11-29-2010, 11:34 PM
I was out yesterday. The road isn't plowed past the hydro dam, but there's under a foot of snow on the road past there -- and looks passable in a 4WD truck. There was a single lane of tire tracks, and I saw a few F150s drive in without any trouble. No idea how far up they went.

The Ashlu Road didn't have tire tracks, just evidence of a snowmobile having headed up.

I know this because I left my home in Vancouver well before 5 a.m., only to have to turn around once I got to the hydro station. There was no way my little car was going to make it through that snow. Didn't get a job early enough this fall to buy a truck. What a lame end to my hunting season! I'm praying for a heatwave this week.

There are most definitely deer in the area; I've been hunting a few spots with a ton of sign, scrapes and rubs, heavy tracks and droppings, etc. between mile 23 and 35-ish.

Saw what I thought was a spiker the weekend on the 21st, but missed getting a shot at it because of a total comedy of errors ... had the dog with me, hadn't been paying attention, left my binoculars in the car, etc.

There's at least one cut block that has a game trail running down the middle of it that's not evident from the road. The other areas I've seen deer sign are also a ways off the road, in thicker bush.

*** If anyone's heading out this Saturday or Sunday and wouldn't mind giving me a ride in and out, please let me know. Could meet in Squamish and I'd just need a drop-off/pick-up in one spot.

Hey seanps,
I am thinking to go out midweek sometime, I'm busy on the weekend.
Would you be interested?
Also thinking to try the Callaghan valley, but haven't been there since they built the Olympic facilities in there.

seanps
11-30-2010, 08:50 AM
Gah, can't get off work during the week.

Thanks for the invite, though. Very nice of you.

seanps
11-30-2010, 12:42 PM
Forecast is calling for a couple days of rain and lows of above zero this week. Fingers crossed that the snow melts!

TheProvider: I may be in touch later this week for an on-the-ground report. :)

TheProvider
11-30-2010, 07:36 PM
If you ever need info just send me a pm. My days off i'm running around the woods in Squamish... and I work in Whistler so I know how the sea to sky hwy is... It was pouring rain all day today in Squamish, snowed a foot and a half in Whistler last night so I had to work today an not chase BT's grrrrrr

seanps
12-03-2010, 03:31 PM
Hey seanps,
I am thinking to go out midweek sometime, I'm busy on the weekend.
Would you be interested?
Also thinking to try the Callaghan valley, but haven't been there since they built the Olympic facilities in there.

Did you make it out? How'd it go?