PDA

View Full Version : Fraser Valley Blacktail

redthorn
11-18-2009, 10:25 PM
Well, after much time in the bush, I finally got mine for the year, and I doubt I'll do much better for a while. I chased Elk and moose with my brother and cousin for most of the early season, and have been tryng hard with the bow on Sumas lately for a deer. Decided that I'd try with the rifle again, and headed for the hills...

I took the day off on Tuesday and went up with a young guy who'd never been hunting. We met at 6:30 and headed out after having some breakfast. Got to the gravel road shortly after that, and stopped, prayed for success, and headed up. The plan was to do a few hikes and then teach Aaron to shoot targets in the afternoon. We were driving along a dozen or so km in, when we come around a corner and I see to does. I say "Deer" and he says "Sweet" but doesn't slow down, and so then I tell him to stop the truck. He does, and I bail out and watch the does bail over the bank and down into the swamp. I take a few steps forward, and this guy steps out into the middle of the road and walk of to the side. He pauses like how he always does in my dreams; Broadside.

All I can think about is the antlers, but I take the 80 yd shot. I can see the impact, and he crowhops and is down the bank and into the swamp as well. We hoot and dance around for a second or two, and then head up the road to see the blood. And the blood is there, along with some nice tracks and some of the lungs. I tell Aaron to pull his truck up and off the road, and I chamber another shell and head down the bank. The trail is well defined and short, and I come around a stump and unde the vine mples and see this.

http://i691.photobucket.com/albums/vv278/redthornboards/PB170001.jpg

I am ecstatic, and I whip out the cell phone and call up my brother because he better get out here as the deera are rutting bad. And I told him as nicely as I could that I had a nice 4x4 Blacktail. He get's stoked and heads out from Chilliwack. Then I grab the antlers and lift the head out of th ferns and find he only hs 3 on the far side. Doh! I already made the call.

Aaron and I take a bunch more pics, and even though he has never hunted, he is pumped. So much for teaching him the traditional wy of hiking for the deer. But he swears he'll be hunting next year. Why wouldn't you if it looks that easy?
http://i691.photobucket.com/albums/vv278/redthornboards/PB170007.jpg

We took him home late that night after hunting the rest of the day and only seeing 3 more deer, one spiker, one doe, and one too fast to check out. He was a brute for a valley deer. Must be mostly Blacktail(the rack, tail and rump, and area) but I suspect he has some muley genes too by the ear size.
http://i691.photobucket.com/albums/vv278/redthornboards/PB170012.jpg

Steeleco
11-18-2009, 10:31 PM
Well done on the Buck, and good for you on getting another person into the game.

Pioneerman
11-18-2009, 10:32 PM
Nice one !!

martyonthewater
11-18-2009, 11:00 PM
nice going, beauty buck

Johnnybear
11-18-2009, 11:05 PM
Well done on the Buck, and good for you on getting another person into the game.

X2. Congrats to you.

Jelvis
11-18-2009, 11:07 PM
That there is a great buck, massive body and super antlers you guys got lucky or I guess your little prayer worked out really awesome.
Nice write up and clear photo's, you hunters are naturals at it wow.
Jel -- beauty buck congratulations fellas

IPA
11-18-2009, 11:15 PM
Great deer, also love the cedar strip canoes in the last pic.

Phil
11-18-2009, 11:24 PM
Nice buck Redthorn! Sounds like a great day out in the B.C. wilderness.

hunter1947
11-19-2009, 05:41 AM
Nice buck as for your wright up good for you getting a newbie into the hunting ,this buck has a dandy rack on it ,congrats http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif.

bowhunterbruce
11-19-2009, 06:18 AM
wait to nail a goodun.one surely does have to give thanks when a prayer has been answered and i commend ya for taking out a newbie,well done.
im also glad to see that garage looks about as organized as mine does.hmmmmmm must be in the hunting part of all of us to have to toys sitting pretty and the work type stuff piled up in the corner.lol:)
congrats
bruce

kennyj
11-19-2009, 06:30 AM
Beautiful buck guys.You have to take them where they are.Love the nice orange color.
kenny

sheep.elk.moose fanatic
11-19-2009, 07:03 AM
holy shit nice!!!!

proguide66
11-19-2009, 07:13 AM
Gotta like the huge smiles in those pics that accompany those blacktail bucks!!...sweet deer!!:cool:

Ruger4
11-19-2009, 07:18 AM
Gotta like the huge smiles in those pics that accompany those blacktail bucks!!...sweet deer!!:cool:

x2 , the beginning of long time hunting buddies by the sounds of things , great to see , nice buck !

Blainer
11-19-2009, 07:19 AM
Great lookin blacktail.

stanway
11-19-2009, 09:01 AM
Great looking Blacktail! Way to go!

:-D

BiG Boar
11-19-2009, 09:23 AM
Great looking blacktail, but it is actually a 4x5 since you count brows on blacktails and not on mule deer. Heck of a deer!

deer nut
11-19-2009, 09:32 AM
Great looking blacktail, but it is actually a 4x5 since you count brows on blacktails and not on mule deer. Heck of a deer!

Are you sure about that? Must be for scoring purposes? The regs don't cow browtines for DEMU, right?

In any case, nice deer!!

doubled
11-19-2009, 09:54 AM
Beauty BT. Well done.

pupper
11-19-2009, 09:58 AM
Dandy Blacktail Joel! Its funny how hard you have to work to get skunked and how easy it is to bag a nice one sometimes eh?!?!

JCVD
11-19-2009, 11:04 AM

Where do you get that from?
http://www.boone-crockett.org/bgrecords/bc_scoring_typmuledeer.asp?area=bgRecords&type=Typical+Mule+Deer+%26+Blacktail

Not here? I don't count them at all some do as a personal thing. I've never heard a westerner say anything contrary either? Only on WT's...?

Hydrojet
11-19-2009, 11:17 AM
I agree JCVD. Mule and BT are accepted as the same in the regs and I always score them the same....Only WT do you count the brow tines. To me WT horns are one main that grows forward and in then up with other tines growing up from the main so the brows fit in that description. The Mule/BT have main beams that fork and then fork again and just maybe again. The brow tines here come out nearer the bases and are not part of a beam that forked so not counted. This is described in the regs as well...maybe not in the same words, but my interpretation....anyone correct this thinking?

nano
11-19-2009, 04:46 PM
Nice deer , congrats!!

proguide66
11-19-2009, 05:35 PM
The govt doesnt count brow tines for harvest reasons.......4 points ' up top' to count as a 'legal buck in a 4 point zone'.....all record books count 1" or greater points AS points.....I count anything that would hurt if it wacked you in the forehead:tongue:

That buck is a GRRREAT 4X5....keep em comin!!:cool:

kyleklassen
11-19-2009, 05:40 PM
very nice buck.

BlacktailStalker
11-19-2009, 05:43 PM
Thats a happy looking hunter and with good reason ! Nice colour rack on that buck :cool:

redthorn
11-19-2009, 06:17 PM
Dandy Blacktail Joel! Its funny how hard you have to work to get skunked and how easy it is to bag a nice one sometimes eh?!?!

Yeah, sometimes it just all works out. We put in a lot of time chasing elk by Princeton, 5 days looking at lots of moose hoping for a shooter in immy season, saw a monster of a whitey and had no tag, and have been buted on bow stalk on Sumas numerous times. All I seemd to ever find were bears, and I was just about ready to maybe take one of those as my fall meat. And then this happens.

Thanks all for the nice comments, but I didn't really work that hard for this buck, it pretty much was just handed to me. I just thought you might enjoy the pictures. But as Ray Wiens said to me, "I'd take luck over skill any day."

mainland hunter
11-19-2009, 06:40 PM
when did I say that? I must have been airbrushing without my respirator.