PDA

View Full Version : december mule deer

ghost
11-18-2009, 09:31 PM
How many people have tried hunting mule deer in december right up to the 10th. Am I correct in thinking the rut would be over,and how would one hunt.Would it be like hunting prior to the rut ,or do you employ different tactics.

Jelvis
11-18-2009, 09:42 PM
You have a GHOST of a chance ghost -- see extra large deer track in fresh snow that fell in the afternoon from the day before -- excellent --
follow huge track slowly and feel the direction it's going, but stay on the hot tracks step for step slowly looking ahead into the shadows of the forest canopy and the forest floor as far as your beady eyes can see into.
December the bucks are on steep,rocky slopes under big trees laying.
The rocks get slippery and a man or woman would break their tailbone and go for a long slide into certain serious injury.
A small four by three might be with the girls cuz he's maybe related to the big doe somehow.
Jel -- You've been informed and are ready for the hunt in December -- POW

husky30-06
11-18-2009, 09:52 PM
My dad and I hunted the last two weekends last year and chased the biggest bucks we had ever seen.... I found that if you can out last them on a chase........ YOU GET THEM!!!!!!!!!:mrgreen::mrgreen:

ghost
11-18-2009, 10:06 PM
Will a buck respond to a doe bleet or grunt or are those technics not worth using post rut.

sceddy
11-18-2009, 10:14 PM
Spotted this guy on the morning of the last day in Dec a couple of years ago. He was chasing does, I was chasing him. I followed him for about an hour until he was in range. He was in full rut, still chasing does, smelly, had huge neck and not a stitch of fat on him. Broken brow tine and other tines. That day we saw other bucks chasing does. It was south of south of Clinton and north of Cache Creek.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/mule_deer2.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=16328&size=big&cat=500)

Jelvis
11-18-2009, 10:14 PM
Might work on a little four point but it's getting late and running real weak for estrus, now they all got laid and the bucks testosterone level is way down in december, but there's always an exception to the norm so try it and see.
Fresh snow and knee deep at 2500 ft level and that's where they'll be down towards a lake or river sides with least amount of human access.
If your in shape and know the hunting skills no problem but inexperienced go with someone else with you.
Jel -- there out there - go git em lol.

dana
11-18-2009, 10:34 PM
Pray for a second rut. If all the does aren't bred the first go, they seem to come in around the 8th-10th.

If all the does are bred the first go, then pray for deep snow and cold weather. They then get into their winter modes and focus on feed.

If no second rut and no deep snow, she's a very tough go. Pound the thick crap and pray that when you bump a buck, he pauses just long enough to give ya a chance.

ghost
11-18-2009, 10:59 PM
Thanks for the info .Trying to stretch the season as long as I can.

dana
11-18-2009, 11:08 PM
I killed a 200 inch buck a few years ago within the last hours of Dec 10th. Sometimes waiting till the last day pays off big time. Just don't forget your rifle. ;)

Kirby
11-18-2009, 11:10 PM
Just don't forget your rifle. ;)

and if you do hope you got friends good enough to lend you theirs when the time counts...

Kirby

barry1974w
11-19-2009, 07:58 AM
I've been hunting does in mid Dec up north (LEH), and there were bucks chasing does all over the place (some real gaggers), we even had one small four by four breeding a doe after she was shot and down(necrophiliak deer).

humble hunter
11-19-2009, 10:13 AM
I agree, my biggest muley was shot on dec 10th with 9 does. That was last year. The year before a really nice 4x4 with 6 does on dec 8th. All of course in region 3.