PDA

View Full Version : Back from Princeton Youth Mulie Hunt

Rackaholic
11-18-2009, 05:01 PM
Day 1:

Went way up, hiked far. We saw a few fresh tracks (all big) but not a single Deer all day long. There was a good foot and a half of snow, if not more.

Day 2:

Nothing at all, went way up there again.

We figured all that was left way up there were the Big Smart Bucks and their Sex Slaves..

Day 3:

Decided to go for a loop in the truck, Started to go up a different hill, got stuck in the snow, and went back down. On the way down, "DEER!" goes my dad "Buck!" goes my uncle.
There he was, 2 pointer stainding 30 yards away with 2 does, just standing.
"Too small", I say, "last chance!" says my uncle "Shoot the thing already!" goes my dad, "Fine!" BOOM! Deer down, gutted, and into the truck he goes.

On the way back to the cabin we decide to go home a longer way, as my uncle still has his whitetail tag so we thought we'd hunt back to the cabin.
We get around the corner and "%@&$!" I have never seen so many Deer in my whole effin life. Hillside was packed. Bucks were chasing the does, I stopped counting at 40, there had to be a good 50+ Deer within a few hundred yards, including a beautiful 3x3, the luckiest deer alive. He'd be down if we didn't see that damn 2 pointer before.

Well, that's deer #3 and I'm done for the Season, done for the next 4 seasons actually, but that's a different story.

My uncle never did get that whitey.

Here's a few pics:
http://i45.tinypic.com/108egzs.jpg

http://i49.tinypic.com/34px2m8.jpg
http://i46.tinypic.com/35ux.jpg

Shooter
11-18-2009, 05:06 PM
Never shoot a deer you will regret later. If its good enough to put down just remember that it was good enough to put on the ground and mark the spot where the big ones are for next year. Great pics and that looks like its gonna be a tasty tasty deer.

11-18-2009, 05:09 PM
oh well live and learn.
you know if you didnt shoot the 2pt all thoes deer never would have been there :)

hunter1947
11-18-2009, 05:18 PM
You got your deer in the bag ,you should be happy ,that will be a good eating deer you got ,congrats to you http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon7.gif.

llloyd
11-18-2009, 05:27 PM
Where's that hill ?? ;) We are going out this weekend. Pricneton so close, and we really would like a WT

Rackaholic
11-18-2009, 05:30 PM
@ shooter and hunter 1947: obviously I'm happy :)
it's a weird feeling though to see so many deer after not seeing a single deer for 2 days straight..

Blainer
11-18-2009, 05:34 PM
I assume you are a youth?,so today would be the last day of the season and it's better to have one in the freezer than none at all.
Looks like some good eating.
Wish I was a youth,not for the longer season,just wish I was a youth.

BlacktailStalker
11-18-2009, 05:34 PM
Things can change with every hill you crest, never give up.

3 deer is something to be happy about.

Not hunting for 4 seasons isn't, dont drop the soap :lol:

sawmill
11-18-2009, 05:36 PM
I know how you feel but...........A bird in the hand!

Rackaholic
11-18-2009, 05:41 PM
I assume you are a youth?,so today would be the last day of the season and it's better to have one in the freezer than none at all.
Looks like some good eating.

Yep, youth and I'm happy to have at least shot SOMEthing :mrgreen:

Things can change with every hill you crest, never give up.

3 deer is something to be happy about.

Not hunting for 4 seasons isn't, dont drop the soap :lol:

Yup, I will make another thread about that sometime. I am hopin' to hunt in 4 years again though :mrgreen: And once I'm back, something bigger than that 3pt will be hittin the dirt, very quickly.

Fisher-Dude
11-18-2009, 05:46 PM
That big 3 point would taste like goat piss, whereas the 2 point you harvested will be delicious. You did the right thing.

Big7
11-18-2009, 06:20 PM
Decide before the season starts what you want...trophy or a puched tag...that will help make the decision in the field...be prepared to go empty handed for seasons though if you choose the first option!

Good work, nice buck and enjoy the steaks!

humble hunter
11-18-2009, 06:30 PM

My sentiments exactly!!!!

He's bummed that he shot a 2 point, I have spent the last 3 days hunting blacktails in the pissing rain and have not even seen a doe.

mcrae
11-18-2009, 06:32 PM
Decide before the season starts what you want...trophy or a puched tag...that will help make the decision in the field...be prepared to go empty handed for seasons though if you choose the first option!

Good work, nice buck and enjoy the steaks!

This is very good advice. I myself can never seem to make the first choice though:mrgreen:

Rattler
11-18-2009, 07:07 PM
Nice eater for sure...

Congrats.

Steeleco
11-18-2009, 07:58 PM
Better to shoot the one you can see than wait for the one you may never!!
Your young, there'll be many more!! Congrats.