PDA

View Full Version : Dawg and Moosin do it again!

The Dawg
11-18-2009, 03:53 PM
After the extremely successful hunting season our good friend and rookie-hunting partner Brett has had (first bear, moose and deer), Moosinaround and I did not want to be out done.

So far this year, Moosin has a bear and a beauty moose, and I have my first bear. Not a bad season, but hey, we cant let the rookie beat us ;)

After pounding ground and putting many miles on our boots and vehicles, we decided to try and take advantage of the anterless season up here in 7a.

Besides, it’s too close to the end of the season and our work schedules wont allow another trip, we figured the antlerless was a gimme.

Nope…we were looking long and hard- lots of fresh sign and tracks, but nothing standing in them.

So at 7am this morning, Mike and I got together for one last kick at the can.
Again we went into our area and hit it hard. Tracks were everywhere today, but we quickly found out that –14c means frickin’ cold! - And in almost a foot of powder snow, snowshoes should be mandatory.

A couple hours of stomping around and finding empty tracks, we got a little discouraged and headed back to the truck to warm up.
We decide to try out one last area before heading home.

Mike had just finished saying how his Dad and Uncle had shot a nice buck in the area we were in a few years previous and how this was going to be our last pass before calling it a season, when I hollered ‘STOP!”

Mike hammered the binders so hard he spilled his rum and coke (It’s a joke Saints, relax).

Standing broadside in the draw was a mulie flattop. Out come the rifles and down she goes.

High fives all around! ……. Then I spot a flicker of movement from the brush behind. Out pops a smaller doe (last years fawn) and boom…down she goes too.

Double-header!

After giving our thanks, we cleaned and field-dressed the pair and dropped them at the butchers.

Hell of a season Mike- 2 bears, a moose and 2 deer.

Next year…elk ;)

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/dawgdouble.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=16319)

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/mikedouble.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=16320)

moosinaround
11-18-2009, 04:10 PM
I was drinking a coke zero when I was reading that post and just about had pop come out my nose when I read the rum "N" coke part!! LOL!! It was a good year!! Logged lots of miles, told lots of stories, seen lots of country! No one got hurt, and we didn't wreak any riggin! We all have full freezers, and we learned a ton more about hunting! I couldn't have had a better season with better hunting buddies! Thanks again Brett, and NoahDawg, my son Bug, and of course our buddy Darcy! Can't wait till next year!! Moosinaround!!:-D

PGK
11-19-2009, 10:59 AM
Is that milk on the fawns lip????

I hope so, milk fed mulie is the best steak goin. Good shootin guys.

Mind if I ask what direction you were out in? Me and the old man want to go for a drive tonight. Send a message.

303Brit
11-19-2009, 03:17 PM
Didn't know you guys had island deer way up there lol, seriously though sounds like a good season

ROEBUCK
11-19-2009, 04:08 PM
good on you for cutting your tag on a fawn!
SOME people would have shot mum and left fawn to die on its own, which sucks!!
that will be awesome meat!
i shot 1 last year, we roasted a whole leg on the spit roast it was delicious!!

Bowtime
11-19-2009, 04:41 PM
Is the smaller one a whitetail?

d6dan
11-19-2009, 05:10 PM
Congrats Boys, looks like you had good weather for the hunt. Should be good eating does..:smile:.

moosinaround
11-19-2009, 05:46 PM
Yes will be fine table fare! Breakfast sausages, deer chops, and garlic coils!

Darksith
11-19-2009, 08:45 PM
baby killers! Was the fawn a boy or girl?

todbartell
11-19-2009, 10:34 PM
man - tough crowd

good job guys, enjoy the deer meat!

moosinaround
11-19-2009, 10:51 PM
It had a uterus!! So you tell me!

Muleycatcher
11-19-2009, 11:20 PM
What does it matter? if it's antlerless it's legal...well done on a good harvest!

dutchie
11-19-2009, 11:30 PM
wow..never heard of some one being so pumped after shooting a fawn... is that even legal? LOL

well it is a "antlerless" draw, not a doe draw.... Last time I checked a fawn did not have antlers.

Nice shootin' boys! there are going to be some good eats in them deers!

My doe tastes amazing... it is like nothing I have ever had!

Dutchie

Gateholio
11-19-2009, 11:37 PM
I'd like to remind everyone of one of our forum guidelines.

6. There is to be no frowning upon a member for the method of hunting used, or the sex, age of the animal. If it's legal then it's legal no if, and, or, but!

kgs
11-19-2009, 11:44 PM
Nice job Buddy congrats

M.Dean
11-20-2009, 08:05 AM
Bottom line, what you guys did was right, if you would have taken the first doe, left the fawn, then went down the road and taken a second doe and left the fawn there'd be coyote's and wolves thanking you!

PGK
11-20-2009, 12:27 PM
I love how the bleeding hearts always jump to the front of the pack when there's dead fawns. A fawn that big already into mid november stands a reasonable chance of making the winter without the doe. Bleeding heart antler-shooters are the reason we can't do good wildlife management in this province.

jml11
11-20-2009, 12:42 PM
I love how the bleeding hearts always jump to the front of the pack when there's dead fawns. A fawn that big already into mid november stands a reasonable chance of making the winter without the doe. Bleeding heart antler-shooters are the reason we can't do good wildlife management in this province.

Unlike some other members of the deer family, muley fawns typically do ok without their moms over winter. In my experiences, I have seen quite a few at this time of year that are already wandering alone or in small batchelor/ batchelorette groups. Moose, the biggest of them all, seem to do the worst if orphaned...

I shot a buck fawn once (it was with another smaller fawn too, no doe around) and it was damn good eating...just not very much meat...:-?

ryanhuntslots
11-20-2009, 08:53 PM
Right on Mike,, Good shootin to the both of you,, and dont mind the banter,, some ones gonna bitch no matter what you do.. maybe they should just keep on watching startrek and leave other guys alone,, wasnt that startrek,, with the siths???? I'm not sure, I was busy beeing outside

moosinaround
11-20-2009, 09:00 PM
Well we did hunt pretty hard for em, surprising how they disapear when the season opens!! I could still go look for a big buck, I did find a couple areas where there are a couple holding up, but how much meat is enough? It gives a fellow something to go after next year! And the wolves will only get hides and heads this year from Dawg and I!! Shit I have pretty thick hide anyways!!:tongue: Moosin

kyleklassen
11-20-2009, 09:04 PM
right on . my friend shot a fawn on the island here during an antlerless season. that one of yours looks like ca monster... all good eating.

Phil
11-20-2009, 09:59 PM
That is a good season! Way to go boys.

Brett
11-21-2009, 08:46 AM
Way to go guys!

alpinetreker
11-21-2009, 01:09 PM
nice work guys :)

Mik
11-21-2009, 01:33 PM
Sounds like a great season, congrats, that should be some fine eating meat.

mike_b
11-21-2009, 06:53 PM
Looks/sounds like you guys had a wicked season!! Congrats!!

Ambush
11-22-2009, 09:33 AM
Those are not sausage deer!!

Steaks and roasts. I'll trade you for some stinky buck meat, if you want sausage.:tongue: