PDA

View Full Version : was schooled by a commando crawling mulie!

harbinger
11-18-2009, 11:05 AM
Embarrassing story but it happens to everyone so what the hell!
Was hunting mulies in region three recently and there I am sitting on my pad in three inches of snow w/ a fresh dusting on top. Tracks everywhere and I'm sitting nice and quiet at 9 am opening my crinkly granola bar snack.
Out bounds a 140ish tall narrow four pointer and stops/lands an easy first down away.(15-20 yards away) He freezes and looks right at me, I'm in the open from his angle no cover. I am downwind though so there is hope. I look over longingly at my rifle which is up against the tree far enough away that I have to move a bit(lean) to get it.
We have a stare down for about five minutes and he looks away. I reach for my gun he looks back. Now I'm frozen w/ one arm out for about a minute and he starts lifting his front leg and looking like he is going to bolt. He walks behind some dead fall.
I get up, gun up, moving up hill to my right trying to find a lane. Finally (five/six steps) get a look and he is gone, hmmm. Scanning the woods, where did he go, kneel down to look under trees and down hill, WTF.:confused: Listen... nothing. Move over to his tracks and start following him. What the hell?
Unless he slipped and fell he belly crawled out from behind the deadfall and downhill for ten yards or so. There was no brush to duck under he just went super stealth and dissappeared. Crazy.
I tracked him for half an hour or so but once he got downwind of me he bolted. A good lesson for me, good grief, "la de da I'll just let my guard down a lean my rifle up against this tree waaaay over here.":roll:
fun stuff hunting, I saw another smallish four and my buddies got a double header so not to bad an outing. At least it wasn't a 180 monster! Pretty impressive how that buck evaded me!

KB90
11-18-2009, 11:12 AM
Sounds like an awesome day!

My grandpa tells me story of watching a old grown up slash with his wife at the other end of the slash watching too. He saw a 3 point come out of the trees above her and crawl past her at less than 50 yards right down on its belly moving very slow, I can't picture seeing a deer do that, I imagine it would look quite funny. She never did see the deer or hear it.

Chuck
11-18-2009, 11:35 AM
I've never witnessed mulies behaving like foxes, but the whitetails around here will do the strangest things at times to get away. Makes a guy wonder for sure exactly what is going on in the brain box. Sure makes for an interesting experience all right.

Stresd
11-18-2009, 11:35 AM
I've only seen one crawl. Had jumped a small 3 point at Mound ranch just outside of Clinton. Shot him as he was crawling under a fence. Only thing could figure is that he was trying to sneak away, as the fence was only 4.5 feet tall.

bigben
11-18-2009, 12:50 PM
Houdini strikes again next year bigger and better ..........but great story many more happy days hunting take care

Stone Sheep Steve
11-18-2009, 01:06 PM
You may laugh but I take my granola bars out of the package @ home to lessen the noise when eating......even more important when in a treestand.

SSS

PGK
11-18-2009, 01:12 PM
^^Same. You might eat some pocket lint, but I've never heard anything as loud as a granola bar wrapper at 8am!

Fisher-Dude
11-18-2009, 01:19 PM
You may laugh but I take my granola bars out of the package @ home to lesson the noise when eating......even more important when in a treestand.

SSS

Good advice. I roll the window of the truck up so that they can't hear my granola wrappers crunching. If I feel a deer sausage fart coming on, I roll the window down and hope it sounds like a buck grunt. :wink:

big buck
11-18-2009, 01:20 PM
When I was hunting Bowen island I never seen to many deer till one of the locals told me to watch the ground cover as the deer belly crawl through it.sure enough i seen a nice 3 point belly crawling through the ferns that i managed to havest.Its a different type of hunting.

srupp
11-18-2009, 01:43 PM
ha ha good one happens to us all..

A couple years ago I shared with a fellow hunter where a GOOD California ram was located..EXACTLY LOCATED..I even sent him a e-mailed map..and specific directions...

Well he sent me a reply several weeks later..he followed the directions map 'EXACTLY" and sat down beside the landmark I had mentioned..leaning his rifle against a tree 10 feet away.....looked up as the exact said ram STOOD UP..and the stare off began..our hunter finally blinked first reached for his rifle and the sheep bolted away..

He read the next part of the directions..."if you spook these rams they will NOT respond like normal Calies they will in fact head down hill "

He laughed asthey bounded down hill....missed by 10 feet...from his weapon..

steven:tongue:

Casagrande
11-18-2009, 01:49 PM
And you wonder why you're no longer my hunting mentor? Even your beloved Oilers are having more success!:twisted::twisted::twisted:

stanway
11-18-2009, 03:13 PM
I have seen a QC Blacktail crawling away into/under the thickest crap you can imagine. It looked like a dog crawling under a fence - pretty funny. I let him go because there was no way I was going to crawl in there after him.:shock:

BearStump
11-18-2009, 05:00 PM
amazing how they just dissapear into thin air.
I was still hunting down into a huge cut on a well used trail. about 1/2 hr. into it my buddy comes over the rise on his quad(he got bored) and this hog of a 4 point jumps up out of his bed about 15 feet away from me and was up the hill and gone before I could even point at him.
Had a few choice words for my bud that day.

hunter1947
11-18-2009, 05:19 PM
Thats hunting ,it won't be the last time this will happen to you http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon12.gif.

Nooker77
11-18-2009, 05:25 PM
Good advice. I roll the window of the truck up so that they can't hear my granola wrappers crunching. If I feel a deer sausage fart coming on, I roll the window down and hope it sounds like a buck grunt. :wink:

I'm bely laughing in front of puter...wifey thinks I'm a nut cake!! Love it good stuff! Cheers:-D

harbinger
11-18-2009, 06:58 PM
I usually unwrap my bars to but i geuss it was "leave everything you learned about hunting at home" day.
Thats it, next trip I'm bringing my face paint and Ghilllie suit!!
LOL

Glassman
11-18-2009, 07:30 PM
I got one for ya. The boys and I are heading to our area and as we get close ( 200 yards) to the cut block I get out of the truck to take a leak. (we all do it right ) My 2 boys do the same. As I am leaking away on the forest floor I look up, and low-and-behold, what do I see? 6 does and 2 bucks, one of them a 4 pointer. I tell the boys, "BUCKS" and they thought I was kidding. "No, really" I said. Deer on the hill side. What do ya do with the weiner in hand? Pinch it, or finish during mid stream. The boys finish first and try to retrieve rifles. As they load I can just see the 4 pointer going over the ridge. We went to the ridge to see where they went. NOTHING. DAMM. That was the last buck we saw till this morning when the one of the boys shot a 2 pointer. Mmmmm, pepperoni. I would still have had the 4 pointer.

M@B
11-18-2009, 07:37 PM
Last year my hunting partner had an LEH moose Tag. So we were up Mulie hunting, and if we happened to see a swamp donkey then so be it. So were sitting on this ridge in the morning twilight and we hear(what sounded like) another hunter coming our direction. Then stops and starts heading down hill into a gully. I look at my partner and said "that sounded like an awfully heavy man!". "moose?" so we make our way slowly to this gully and look down to see the arse end of a good bull heading under the canopy of trees. this gully had a bunch of small trees at the bottom so you couldn't see the bottom or anything but the top third of the gully had no trees what so ever. So we had a 360 degree view around this gully, if he stepped out ANYWHERE we had him. So we wait, and we heard him bed down. "Okay, I'll go down, start at the bottom and work my way up hill. as soon as I spook him out of the gully, dump'em". "sounds like a plan".
So to the bottom of the gully I go and work my way sloooowly to the top....and out......?? WTF(I forgot to mention that once under the canopy visablity down there was great, thin trees sread out 5-6 feet, no bushes).
Where the hell he went? I'll never know? Damn thing climbed a tree on me or something!! I don't know if my visual makes sence but, how can a big bull moose up and vanish like a fart in the wind??lol!