PDA

View Full Version : I love my wife!

brotherjack
11-18-2009, 09:37 AM
So, late yesterday afternoon as I'm plugging away on the computer in the old home-office to make us a living, The Wife(tm) was getting a little bored. So, she loads up her rifle and such in the truck and heads for the bush.

She's been gone about 15 minutes when she calls me on the cell phone. One LEH whitetail doe, down for the count. Found it standing on the side of the road while driving in to her spot. It was big enough to have some meat on its bones, and had no fawns in tow, and most importantly of all -- it stood still long enough for her to jump out an make a quick 30 yard chip shot. BANG = flop (and no wonder; wow, a 130 grain AccuBond at 3350FPS from a 270WSM does some pretty radical damage at close range!!!). I offered to take the rest of the day off and come help her dress and load it and such, but she said nope - she could handle it.

So, about an hour later, she shows up with a nice fat doe, field dressed and everything, laying in the back of the truck. I gave her a bit of a hand with skinning it, but for the most part, this one was all hers from start to finish.

Anyhoo, I know it ain't much of a story, but if it ain't just the coolest thing in the world to have a wife like that, I don't know what is!

In case you haven't guessed already, I love my wife!!!

http://xjack.org/hunting/2009-wt01.jpg

BiG Boar
11-18-2009, 09:47 AM
The day my wife does that....I will eat my hat. Good work SisterJack!

rocksteady
11-18-2009, 09:48 AM
Sweet...Should be very nice eating.....

Better watch it BroJ, she may become the Hunter-Gatherer and you will become the House-Husband (Does this apron make me look fat???:mrgreen:)

Congrats to the wife, now you gotta go whack a buck....

11-18-2009, 09:52 AM
Way to go tm, sounds like you have a pretty good handle on "how to/what to" do out there in the woods. Good job.

Brambles
11-18-2009, 09:53 AM
So, late yesterday afternoon as I'm plugging away on the computer in the old home-office to make us a living, The Wife(tm) was getting a little bored. So, she loads up her rifle and such in the truck and heads for the bush.

She's been gone about 15 minutes when she calls me on the cell phone. One LEH whitetail doe, down for the count. Found it standing on the side of the road while driving in to her spot. It was big enough to have some meat on its bones, and had no fawns in tow, and most importantly of all -- it stood still long enough for her to jump out an make a quick 30 yard chip shot. BANG = flop (and no wonder; wow, a 130 grain AccuBond at 3350FPS from a 270WSM does some pretty radical damage at close range!!!). I offered to take the rest of the day off and come help her dress and load it and such, but she said nope - she could handle it.

So, about an hour later, she shows up with a nice fat doe, field dressed and everything, laying in the back of the truck. I gave her a bit of a hand with skinning it, but for the most part, this one was all hers from start to finish.

Anyhoo, I know it ain't much of a story, but if it ain't just the coolest thing in the world to have a wife like that, I don't know what is!

What the hell is wrong with her fingers, why does her house maid have to write the story, is she shy? We wanna hear from the lady of the hour.:mrgreen:

There are a lot of women in this world who could use a couple lessons from your wife. I've always been impressed with her willingness to go hunt by herself and she's been sucessful too. That one whitey she took is a cranker.

Good for her and your damn right to be proud of her.

Good going there MRS.:-D

brotherjack
11-18-2009, 10:44 AM
What the hell is wrong with her fingers, why does her house maid have to write the story, is she shy? We wanna hear from the lady of the hour.:mrgreen:

There are a lot of women in this world who could use a couple lessons from your wife. I've always been impressed with her willingness to go hunt by herself and she's been sucessful too. That one whitey she took is a cranker.

Good for her and your damn right to be proud of her.

Good going there MRS.:-D

LOL. I can't even get The Wife(tm) to check her e-mail more than once a week (if that); she may read over my shoulder around here once in a while, but getting her to hang out on an online forum? Good luck!

And yeah, she's definitely a pretty competent hunter, out on her own. She even had the presence of mind to grab the empty shell casing after the shot and bring it home so's I can reload it for her.

I have a feeling there's a "Your wife might be a redneck if.." joke or three in here somewhere, but I think that's a Good Thing(tm). :)

BimmerBob
11-18-2009, 11:02 AM

Wow! I love your Wife(tm) too BrotherJack. Awesome story I can't even get mine to put a fork in wild game after it has been killed, retrieved, cut, wrapped, frozen, thawed, cooked and served.

Just friggin awsome, my hat is off to you both!

Bob

bigdiggerman
11-18-2009, 11:11 AM
Great job! A wife like that is a real blessing. I have one, too. Not so much into the hunting, but competent all around.

weatherby_man
11-18-2009, 11:17 AM
You are one lucky man to have a wife like that!!!

LYKTOHUNT
11-18-2009, 11:24 AM
LOL. I can't even get The Wife(tm) to check her e-mail more than once a week (if that); she may read over my shoulder around here once in a while, but getting her to hang out on an online forum? Good luck!

And yeah, she's definitely a pretty competent hunter, out on her own. She even had the presence of mind to grab the empty shell casing after the shot and bring it home so's I can reload it for her.

I have a feeling there's a "Your wife might be a redneck if.." joke or three in here somewhere, but I think that's a Good Thing(tm). :)
What she doesn,t load her own ammo. whats up with that :)
all kidding aside you should be and I am sure you are proud and she really must be.

KB90
11-18-2009, 11:25 AM
Sounds like a dream come true!

Chuck
11-18-2009, 11:45 AM
I never knew they even made women like that anymore! I've never met her yet.

whitespringer
11-18-2009, 11:57 AM
Congrats to wife on the doe. Congrats to you for picking a good wife!
My wife joined me for our moose hunt this year and I was glad to have her along. Better eyes than me for spoting critters.:-D

Tikka270wsm
11-18-2009, 12:06 PM
That appears to be a big doe. Definately a shooter for sure. Congrats to your wife!
I shot one of my deer this year with that same bullet. Devastating for sure. Although, would have been way worse with a cheap soft point.

aletheuo
11-18-2009, 12:20 PM
Yes, I concur that having a woman around who does all that is amazing. I'm still trying to get my wife to cook game, too.

SisterJackie can be slightly competitive, too. I accidentally walked into the middle of a group of mule deer that she was stalking a few weeks ago - I left before she decided to field dress me! I would not have appreciated someone ruining my stalk either.

And the call continues... SisterJackie... come on down - let's hear it from you...

brotherjack
11-18-2009, 12:40 PM
I'm still trying to get my wife to cook game.

See, that right there is your problem -- you're thinking about cooking it. If all she's ever had is cooked venison, she probably thinks wild meat is tasteless and tough!!!

Wild deer/elk/moose/etc steaks should not be "cooked", they should only be seared quickly (and lightly) on both sides and promptly eaten while still warm. If most of the middle of the steak isn't dark/blood red, you've over-cooked it. I usually cook mine on a pre-heated BBQ (you do want it good and hot) for about 90 seconds side one, 60 seconds side two. Mmmmmm..... don't get no better than that!!

It won't hurt ya -- you only need to get the center up to about 130 degrees (F) to keep you safe (which is not as hot as you think -- that's not even as hot as the average cup of coffee), and bacteria tends to only grow on the surface of red meat anyway. The Wife(tm) and I have been eating them that way for many years, never once been sick or ill affected by it.

11-18-2009, 01:41 PM
See, that right there is your problem -- you're thinking about cooking it. If all she's ever had is cooked venison, she probably thinks wild meat is tasteless and tough!!!

Wild deer/elk/moose/etc steaks should not be "cooked", they should only be seared quickly (and lightly) on both sides and promptly eaten while still warm. If most of the middle of the steak isn't dark/blood red, you've over-cooked it. I usually cook mine on a pre-heated BBQ (you do want it good and hot) for about 90 seconds side one, 60 seconds side two. Mmmmmm..... don't get no better than that!!

It won't hurt ya -- you only need to get the center up to about 130 degrees (F) to keep you safe (which is not as hot as you think -- that's not even as hot as the average cup of coffee), and bacteria tends to only grow on the surface of red meat anyway. The Wife(tm) and I have been eating them that way for many years, never once been sick or ill affected by it.

Totally correct. Many people over-cook wild game. Really, only bears and cats need to be thouroghly cooked. There is nothing humans can catch from eating rare ungulates, however, feeding raw ungulate meat to dogs/cats may give them a tape worm. Fortunately, the tape worm cyst found in ungulates cannot live in humans.

ufishifish2
11-18-2009, 01:50 PM
I love your wife too. Mine hunts, but never by herself. And gutting... don't even go there. That is awesome. Congrats!!!!

The Hermit
11-18-2009, 02:00 PM
You must have lived a pure past lifetime to be rewarded with a trophy wife like that in this life my man!!!

7mag700
11-18-2009, 02:43 PM
Your wife, sir, rocks :-D But you missed the best part! My GF got elbows-deep helping gut a doe I shot the other day. It was kinda hot :twisted: !!!

7m7

hunter1947
11-18-2009, 04:15 PM
I would love my wife as well ,you have story and pic of your wife every year on how well she does when it comes to hunting http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon6.gif.

You better cook her supper tonight to show your appreciation for what your wife has accomplished over the years http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon7.gif.

Very nice WT deer you got Miss brother Jack ,congrats to you http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif.

brotherjack
11-18-2009, 04:48 PM
Better watch it BroJ, she may become the Hunter-Gatherer and you will become the House-Husband (Does this apron make me look fat???:mrgreen:)

Nope, that would be my fat that makes me look fat. :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

11-18-2009, 06:08 PM
Congrats!

My wife loves to come along, and is willing to drop and Elk or a moose but those deer eyes are just to ......... what she says ....... cute.....
Go figure.
CT

Rattler
11-18-2009, 06:56 PM
The day my wife does that....I will eat my hat. Good work SisterJack!

Bloody priceless....:-D Agree 100%

Congrats to your wife.

Spy
11-18-2009, 07:03 PM
Im getting a divorce!

Glassman
11-18-2009, 07:06 PM
In my household, I shootem and she cooksem. Now if your wife cooksem too, now THAT'S A WIFE.

dougan
11-18-2009, 07:09 PM
we all love your wife!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Roots
11-18-2009, 08:51 PM
http://i709.photobucket.com/albums/ww95/roots_bc/gifs/keeper.gif

brotherjack
11-18-2009, 08:58 PM
In my household, I shootem and she cooksem. Now if your wife cooksem too, now THAT'S A WIFE.

Oh boy can she cook too! She makes an elk stroganoff to die for! - At least that is what the husband tells me! :wink: One of my favorite deer/elk spices is one I make up myself - equal parts salt/pepper/onion power/garlic powder and shake well. Don't be shy using it. Even yummier when used on deer backstrap medallions wrapped in bacon doused liberally with this spice mixture (don't overcook the meat!!!) - to die for! So, pass this onto your wives and enjoy.

And thank you for all your kind comments. :-D

- the wife (tm)

rock
11-18-2009, 09:03 PM
brother your one lucky fellow, congrats to your wife.

leadpillproductions
11-18-2009, 09:20 PM
Thats awsome my wife the same, it makes all the days in the feild a little more forgiving

Buckmeister
11-19-2009, 01:31 AM
I love my wife too.....she lets me go hunting! :-D

Awesome there Mrs. BrotherJack.

GoatGuy
11-19-2009, 02:05 AM
Good for you. Sounds like a heck of a good deal.

Do you take flack when she's tagged out and you're not?

I've been taking a lot of grief lately.

aletheuo
11-19-2009, 07:54 AM

Funny thing - we had a beef roast the other day - middle was 160ish and when I cut it the juices started streaming out - all 4 kids and my wife gasped in unison and claimed "blood!" Grrrrrrrrr. This is what I live with, you are correct. I ended up flash frying the pink away for them. Too bad for them.

You are sooo blessed, BJ!

brotherjack
11-19-2009, 11:16 AM
Funny thing - we had a beef roast the other day - middle was 160ish and when I cut it the juices started streaming out - all 4 kids and my wife gasped in unison and claimed "blood!" Grrrrrrrrr. This is what I live with, you are correct. I ended up flash frying the pink away for them. Too bad for them.

LOL... Tell them I said they might as well be vegetarians, if that's how they're going to cook their meat -- cuz they obviously hate it in the first place if they want it cooked till it's tasteless before thy can stomach it.

And for the record -- those are just general juices, not blood. The blood gets drained out before it's cut and wrapped.

brotherjack
11-19-2009, 11:17 AM
Good for you. Sounds like a heck of a good deal.

Do you take flack when she's tagged out and you're not?

I've been taking a lot of grief lately.

Nope, no flak around my house (at least not for her being tagged out first). ;)

BimmerBob
11-19-2009, 11:40 AM
LOL... Tell them I said they might as well be vegetarians, if that's how they're going to cook their meat -- cuz they obviously hate it in the first place if they want it cooked till it's tasteless before thy can stomach it.

And for the record -- those are just general juices, not blood. The blood gets drained out before it's cut and wrapped.

I am with you on that BrotherJack, just seared enough to keep it from moving is the way I like it, tenderest meat you can find and no hormones injected to make it grow faster...

And to keep this "love of your wife" thread on topic, where do we sign up for dibs on courting her when she decides to give you the skid? :tongue:

Take care bro, Bob

brotherjack
11-19-2009, 11:47 AM
where do we sign up for dibs on courting her when she decides to give you the skid? :tongue:

You're probably in for a pretty long wait. Let's just say, I treat her rather well. :)

aletheuo
11-19-2009, 11:59 AM
Nope, no flak around my house (at least not for her being tagged out first). ;)

Pretty sure she can still tag another WT if she buys one since the mulie season wasn't productive but this time it'll have to be a buck. You better get your apron off and get out there and get at least a doe before you have to report to us again with another of her kills.

brotherjack
11-19-2009, 12:35 PM
Pretty sure she can still tag another WT if she buys one since the mulie season wasn't productive but this time it'll have to be a buck. You better get your apron off and get out there and get at least a doe before you have to report to us again with another of her kills.

Oh yeah. We both have second tags already. Even if we don't find a couple of bucks big enough to be worth the effort of butchering, we can still go out and arrow a second doe in the late archery season, so it should all be good.

twoSevenO
11-19-2009, 05:59 PM
Ok, i gotta ask ... what is the deal with wife(TM), every time the word wife is mentioned??????

aletheuo
11-19-2009, 06:12 PM
I suspect (ok, I KNOW) BrotherJack is just a little bit weird like the rest of us and has found a unique way of expressing himself and has fun with stupid expressions.

brotherjack
11-19-2009, 06:36 PM
Ok, i gotta ask ... what is the deal with wife(TM), every time the word wife is mentioned??????

It's kind of sort of vaguely related to a very (very) Long story involving me being a hairy old computer hacker from way WAY back (I cut my teeth on TRS-80's, if you have any idea what those are, LOL). Anyway, the (tm) is derived from old hacker slang such as "Good Thing(tm)".

If you're really really bored and wanna read some of the history of hacker dialect (of which I speak several), you can go dig up the "Jargon File" (google it).

Now back to your regular scheduled programming.

Roots
11-19-2009, 06:58 PM

I think Sir Francis Bacon explained it best..."Wives are young men's mistresses, companions for middle age, and old men's nurses."

I must admit, The Wife™ has a job like no other, and rightfully so, she deserves her own trademark...

twoSevenO
11-19-2009, 11:11 PM
I hope you have some macro or something that automatically puts (TM) when word wife is written lol.

I thought it meant team, actually.... like T-M ... team ...

MikeH
11-20-2009, 07:08 AM
The day my wife did that I'd be very scared!Good on her.

StalkerKevin
11-20-2009, 07:51 AM
does she have a sister lol good job!!!!:mrgreen:

brotherjack
11-20-2009, 11:39 AM
does she have a sister lol good job!!!!:mrgreen:

She does, actually (and she was single, last I heard). You interested? :mrgreen:

kyleklassen
11-20-2009, 11:45 AM
hey i'll set you up with a guy thats a stalker.

garyt
11-20-2009, 11:48 AM
a great job by her i ve tried to get my wife to just drive with me to go hunt but no . plus your wife looks great in camo too. thks gary

snowhunter
11-20-2009, 01:27 PM
I was teaching a couple of women to hunt last year. After one of them shoot her first deer, her non hunting and terrified/horrified husband, with fear in his voice, told his new huntress wife: "I am afraid of you, I want my own bedroom!"

Well, he must have gotton over his worst fears of being shoot by his wife, in his sleep, because they are still togther, and he was pretty proud of her, when she shoot another buck this season :)

XMD70
11-21-2009, 07:14 PM
Does she have a sister?

Allen50
11-21-2009, 10:08 PM
does she have any single lady friends that like to hunt ??