PDA

View Full Version : Welcoming comments on this scenario

Big Lew
11-18-2009, 07:16 AM
A young rifle hunting fellow and his partner were sitting near the top of a ridge overlooking a partly re-grown slash, At the bottom of the slash was an old logging road. They watched a vehicle stop, the passenger get out, shoot, and then both the shooter and driver run ahead, pull a whitetail buck out of the brush, then drag it back further into the bush, cut some branches, cover it up, and then sweep away any signs , and then get back into their truck and speed away. The young fellow and his partner waited about 3/4 hour and then went to their own truck and drove around to investigate (total time they said was just over an hour) They found the buck, it had not been gutted, so they tagged it,gutted it, and loaded it into their truck and were on their way. While relating the story to me a couple of weeks later, they said that they were convinced that the shooter and companion were hunting mule deer, had no whitetail tag, and went racing to the nearest town to buy a tag, some 2 hours away. Fire away with your opinions!

hunter1947
11-18-2009, 07:23 AM
I would say that is probably what happened or they did this in order to get a bigger buck ,if they could not find a bigger animal that day they would come back and get the one they covered up and left ???.

FLHTCUI
11-18-2009, 08:16 AM
My first leh trip into the Nazco had something like this happen.
Except I was with my g/f at the time.
We walked into an area that had a fork in the road and we went left to the dead end and a bit of a marsh there as well.
As we got to the entry point a pick up truck with three guys in it came up and turned left.
They didnt know where we were yet, but they did pass our camp on the way in.
2 minutes later we hear 10 shots being fired. I was choked to say the least.
We went back to camp and had breakfast and I was grumbling about those guys. Not knowing what as going on or had gone on.
Well I said lets pack it up and go see what they got.
Upon turning left on the road they where coming out, all three and no moose in the back of the truck.
They stopped and said we got three moose down around the corner and said "not to go in"??
Now, I was pissed, so being out numbered I figured it was best to head out.
They didnt return for at least another 4 hours with another party to assist with the tagging and cleaning of the animals.
I really dont know if my last statment is true,( aside from the 4 hour bit ) but thats what I say to this day and if I had another another tag in the truck we would ahve done what those guys had done.
I appologize for possibly hi-jacking this thread , but it is a similar situation.
I certainly know if I am wrong my actions would ahve been wrong, but again, three animals down and no-one left to gaurd the animals.
Rob

RMG
11-18-2009, 08:16 AM
Or maybe, they shot the buck legally, tagged it and realized they forgot their knives??? or maybe they were beginner hunters, realizing that neither of them knew how to field dress the animal, they hid it as best they could, ran into town for help,to summon help???? Only to have someone STEAL their hard earned trophy.

Why is it that people here always and I will repeat ALWAYS think things like this are illegal. In my many years of hunting, I have seen both of these situations happen on more than one occasion.

Prowler
11-18-2009, 08:22 AM
Hmm, well here is what happened to me, very similar. I was still hunting a nice peice of timber neer rock crk one time a few years back, and stumbled across a beauty 5X5 whitetail buck, dead on the ground. I had heard no shots fired, and had been in the area, for over an hour. I was hunting with a partner and we agreed that if we heard a shot we would turn on our radios, so I fired a shot. He called me and asked, what did I get? I told him a hog, and he came to investigate. When he arrived, he couldnt believe it. the biggest buck either of us had ever seen. I laughed and told him the story, and we agreed to gut it out, and drag it out of there, thinking a hunter must have lost it after the shot. We cleaned the deer and wer just getting ready to drag it out, when 2 guys started walking up the slope towards us. This will be good I thought. The guy says, thanks for gutting my buck. "Your buck I said, how do you figure?" I knew it must be, I just wanted to hear why the hell a guy would leave a hog like this in the bush. He told me he shot 2 deer, a doe and this buck, and took the doe down to the truck, and went to get help. He points out another gut pile about 20 yards away, I hadnt even noticed. I stll think, bullshit, but what do you do, it was definatly not my deer, and i wasnt going to argue with the guy, but something was fishy for sure.

Prowler
11-18-2009, 08:24 AM
Or maybe, they shot the buck legally, tagged it and realized they forgot their knives??? or maybe they were beginner hunters, realizing that neither of them knew how to field dress the animal, they hid it as best they could, ran into town for help,to summon help???? Only to have someone STEAL their hard earned trophy.

Why is it that people here always and I will repeat ALWAYS think things like this are illegal. In my many years of hunting, I have seen both of these situations happen on more than one occasion.

good point RMG, but what do you do? Leave it there? Tough call. Yes, I guess I to jump to conclusions a bit to fast...

Kirby
11-18-2009, 08:46 AM
Or maybe, they shot the buck legally, tagged it and realized they forgot their knives???

I've done this, shot a whitie, realised i had left all my knives etc etc at home, cut my tag with the only thing i could find sharp enough(nail clippers), drove 1.5 hours home, got my gear, drove back, gutted and removed deer.

Gotta love guilty until proven innocent.

they should have called a CO. Not taken the deer. The CO has the power to give them the deer, and to investigate to see whats going on.

Kirby

calvin L
11-18-2009, 08:48 AM
I am glad the meat did not go to waiste . If you forgot to buy a tag gut it load it phone it in and take your chances . It is time people man and woman up .

Everett
11-18-2009, 09:13 AM
My personal conspiracy theory for this scenario is they were headed home to retreive one of there wives so she could tag the deer so they could keep hunting. I know this happens back in NS all the time. I know of one woman that has tagged at least a dozen deer and never pulled the trigger on one.
There also many legitimate reason they could have left the deer as well. I would have personaly reported it to the CO and let them figure it out. Stealing someones deer is pretty low.

Woodrow
11-18-2009, 09:17 AM
How hungry are these two people to steal someones deer. They should of minded their own buisness and moved on.

behemoth
11-18-2009, 09:19 AM
Tagging out on a deer someone else shot?? WTF is the matter with you people.
LEAVE THE DEER WHERE YOU FOUND IT, IT'S NOT YOURS!!!1

Shooter
11-18-2009, 09:33 AM

True, that could have been the way it played out however why leave the animal there covered up and hidden if it is a legally harvested deer? If you have all the tags with it on hand then there is no law against having an ungutted deer in the truck. If you need to go home and get your knife or help to dress it then I'm sure you will be able to find a place closer to do it then coming all the way back to the scene of the kill.

I think at the very least, whether guilty of wrong doing or not, these people were acting suspiciously and a CO should have been called. If the CO was lying in wait for them when they came back for the deer then they would have some questions to answer. Its the CO's job to ask those questions right?

11-18-2009, 09:34 AM
to hell with giving the people the benifit of the doubt!
lets take that deer as they must be breaking the law!
what? it has been said but i will say it again there are a million situations where these guys did not break the law and one where they did.
what if they were going for help to gut it... you stole it
what if they did not have a knife ive done that......you stole it
the deer was legal to every point unless they did not have a tag, and how the hell do you know if they didnt

Brambles
11-18-2009, 09:38 AM
There are lots of legitimate reasons to leave the deer there and come back later, I've done it. Of course I dropped the guts and stashed it in the bush, but there are also reasons not to drop the guts right away too.

I would be some pissed off if I came back and some ass hats had stolen my buck. There isn't enough info in the thread to make a determination what the circumstances would have been.

Try this armchair scenario
They could have been young hunters hunting in the general location of there parents, parents say, "if you shoot something, come and get us and we'll show you how to gut it" The young hunters, driving mom's SUV didn't want to load a deer in the back so they went to get a ATV or pickup and Mom and dad to help gut the deer.

Maybe its bear country and they wanted to keep the smell of death down, Ravens, coyotes etc etc.

An hour driving bush roads in Mom's precious SUV dosn't get you very far, especially if they have to go looking for mom and dad if they split up for the hunt.

Like I said, this is just one of a million legitimate reasons why they did what they did. I would have gone down when they shot it to see how big the buck was and offer a hand. That way you get the story right off the bat. If they didn't have a knife then I would have dropped the guts for them or let them use mine.

Prowler
11-18-2009, 09:59 AM
I would have gone down when they shot it to see how big the buck was and offer a hand. That way you get the story right off the bat. If they didn't have a knife then I would have dropped the guts for them or let them use mine.

Or you walk right in to the middle of a shitstorm! Poachers, etc etc... No Thanks. It just happened to me 2 days ago. I come around a corner on my quad, and here is 2 old guys trying desperatly to cover up a doe they just killed in a buck only zone.. I got the hell out of there. To many clowns out there. And before you ask why didnt i report it, I have been thru the whole witness, repeated court case senerio before, and will NEVER do it again. I agree with most here though, I have been guilty myself of jumping to the negative conclusion, but that is only because I have witnessed the negative to many times...

BimmerBob
11-18-2009, 11:46 AM
There are so many unknowns in this scenario that it is impossible to come to a conclusion that can not have holes poked in it.

Some observations:

There were two people in a vehicle
The vehicle stopped to allow the passenger out
The passenger shot
The shooter and the driver ran ahead
A whitetail buck pulled from the brush
The animal was moved to a location and "hidden" with brush
The animal was not marked with the shooters information (tagged?)
The hunters left the kill site rather quickly.

There were two observers at a distance, they:

Watched the scene unfold in secrecy
Waited an hour to approach the scene
Found the hidden location of the animal
"Discovered" it had not been gutted
Decided to take the animal as there own and did so

A lawyer could make up various scenarios, some of which could be legal and some of which could be illegal, no one except the shooter and the driver will ever know for sure.

If someone came accross a dead deer without observing what had occurred would they proceed as our observers did or would they walk away and make a report of finding a dead animal in the woods?

Would they be wrong to tag the animal and take it as their own?

I can't say right or wrong, but I think the observers at least ensured the meat did not spoil and went to use. An environmental decision vs an ethical decision vs a legal decision, there will be many choices available to us, none of which can be entirely wrong or entirely right.

As confused as ever, Bob

rattling_junkie
11-18-2009, 12:16 PM
I must say that Shooter is right on track IMO in regards to loading up the deer and dressing it closer to home.

I also agree with BimmerBob's post as it illuminates the complexity of different questions and decisions that could be made.

I don't agree with Brambles scenario (not saying Bramble is a bad guy. I just disagree with his opinion). I don't mean to brag but I am the king of using a car as my main transportation while hunting. I only owned a truck for one season and it was too easy to load animals so I went back to my Corolla.

Anyways, an SUV can be lined with thick poly and sealed so no blood gets on the interior. Any hunter should realize that if you go hunting you must have a way to transport the animal back home regardless of vehicle. If you are unwilling to use your vehicle then stay home, IMO. One last thing quartering the animal on the spot is pretty easy and you then can use rubbermaid containers to hold the meat.

As to BigLew's question I would not have cut my tag on that buck as the satisfaction of shooting it would not be there. I agree with the comments to call the CO or RCMP if your conscious will not allow you to walk away.

Big7
11-18-2009, 12:32 PM
How hungry are these two people to steal someones deer. They should of minded their own buisness and moved on.
No kidding...do they actually go hunting to harvest an animal themselves because if not, they would have great success looking for road kill!

A buddy and I were hunting moose a couple of years ago, he shot a 2 point first thing in the morning and we didn't want to waste the rest of the morning hunt (we had 2 tags) so we did the same thing, covered it with brush so nobody would see it and then shot mine 45min later. Loaded mine, went back put his in, then went home. I would've knocked someone's teeth out if I found them stealing our animal.

As stated earlier, don't always assume the worst of people.

Shooter
11-18-2009, 12:38 PM
On another note I would love to see ALL tags not valid for 24-48 hours after purchase

11-18-2009, 12:58 PM
i agree
it would eliminate one aspect of this of this scinero being illegal. But it would be one step harder for some procrastinators ( like my self). and not stop poaching, it would slow it down yes but i dont like to make it harder for us even a little thing like thinking a day or two ahead.

One Shot
11-18-2009, 01:23 PM
Although suspicious was the hunting activity illegal?

It appears that the hunters did make an attempt to harvest the deer by first hauling it out to the road. Did they then discover that they had -
- left their knives at home/camp
- left their hunting licences at home/camp
- had no WT tag

If they were aware of the above or realized they shot a WT instead of a MD when they first came up to the deer would they not have left the deer where it was and covered it up there instead of working hard to drag it both ways?

Is it not illegal to punch out one's tag for an animal shot by someone else other than yourself? If so then the observers were committing an offence by taking the deer and cancelling their tag.

The observers should have rightfully and morally recorded the event particulars and reported the event to the F&G Dept. and or local police at their earliest covenience.

elkdom
11-18-2009, 01:38 PM
the only activities or actions that were "ILLEGAL" for "CERTAIN" were those actionsof the 2 morons sitting on a ridge,prior to the deer being killed!

Theft! and Illegal cancellation of a game species tag!, the only 2 illegal activities for CERTAIN in this scenario!:-?

ufishifish2
11-18-2009, 01:40 PM
All tags not valid for 24-48 hrs?????
I prefer to purchase my tags from the community I am hunting in. Sometimes that isn't until the first day of the hunt. (Roadtrips)
Last year I went for an elk in a new area, and found tonnes of white-tails there as well. Had to rush out and buy a tag, got a w/t that evening. I don't like that idea for deer, only the more hard to come by animals like immy moose.
Back on track, I hurt my back last year dragging a buck out of the bush. I cut my tag and headed 40 k's down the hill to grab the wife to help me load it up. If there was a hunter around, I would have grabbed him/her to help instead. Anyways, when I returned to the buck, I found a guy and 2 kids standing over my buck when I got back. They were cool about it, and helped to load it into the truck........ these things happen, however the scenario. Stealing someone else's buck is terrible is they were on the up and up. It's frickin hilarious if the people really were doing something shady.

Brambles
11-18-2009, 02:12 PM
I don't agree with Brambles scenario (not saying Bramble is a bad guy. I just disagree with his opinion). I don't mean to brag but I am the king of using a car as my main transportation while hunting. I only owned a truck for one season and it was too easy to load animals so I went back to my Corolla.

Anyways, an SUV can be lined with thick poly and sealed so no blood gets on the interior. Any hunter should realize that if you go hunting you must have a way to transport the animal back home regardless of vehicle. If you are unwilling to use your vehicle then stay home, IMO. One last thing quartering the animal on the spot is pretty easy and you then can use rubbermaid containers to hold the meat.

Thats all assuming that they had those things avaliable to them, the scenario I posted was just one of a million probable scenario's.

The odds of anyone ever finding out what actually took place and what the intent of the individuals who shot the deer was is slim.

What I think should happen is the guys who tagged the buck should get charged with theft.

I took a car hunting once, hiked into an area, shot a nice buck, gutted and stashed the deer until I could come back with a 4 wheel drive vehicle. Probably took me longer to get back than a meager hour. If someone had happened by, seen the deer stashed or my foot prints in the snow and followed them to my deer and took it, I'd be PISSED and hunt those PIECES OF DOG CRAP DOWN.

But I'm experianced, I know how to gut an animal, maybe those guys didn't know how to? or forgot their tarp? or knife? or whatever???

Doesn't give two knuckleheads the right to go and arbitrarily pass judgement and swipe their deer. IT AINT RIGHT

M.Dean
11-18-2009, 02:21 PM
It's a hard call, I've shot animals and left them not gutted, reason being if I gut it the birds and coyotes are going to be on it like flies on shit! Secondly, we've shot animals and left them if we think the area is hot, meaning we stand a chance of getting a double header! The guys should have left the deer alone, if there's concern it was poached, stick around the area and see if the guys come back around dark for it, if they don't, phone the CO's if you want to get involved. As far as we know, there could be 2 guys on some other site screaming about how there WT Buck was stolen while they continued hunting!!!

One Shot
11-18-2009, 02:51 PM
We know that you are on this site reading this thread. Will the two guys who shot the deer please come forward and tell us what really went on and how pissed you are that your deer went missing.:tongue:

Rev.
11-18-2009, 02:55 PM
forget the scenario, i want to know why two hunters on a ridge overlooking a slash, with optics not doubt, with a clear vantage point got out done by a couple road hunters who just cruised in and downed the buck that was in their area. I know, a lot of scenario's for that also, but kind of funny if you think of how those guys on the ridge must have felt after finding out that they missed out on a buck that was in the area and they didn't see it. That would suck.

BearStump
11-18-2009, 05:37 PM
ufishifish2 All tags not valid for 24-48 hrs?????
I prefer to purchase my tags from the community I am hunting in. Sometimes that isn't until the first day of the hunt. (Roadtrips)
Last year I went for an elk in a new area, and found tonnes of white-tails there as well. Had to rush out and buy a tag, got a w/t that evening.

I don't like that idea for deer, only the more hard to come by animals like immy moose.
Back on track, I hurt my back last year dragging a buck out of the bush. I cut my tag and headed 40 k's down the hill to grab the wife to help me load it up. If there was a hunter around, I would have grabbed him/her to help instead. Anyways, when I returned to the buck, I found a guy and 2 kids standing over my buck when I got back. They were cool about it, and helped to load it into the truck........ these things happen, however the scenario. Stealing someone else's buck is terrible is they were on the up and up. It's frickin hilarious if the people really were doing something shady

believe it or not I had two buddies who were on a day hunt about three hrs from home and didnt bother grabbing moose tags as they were out for deer and thought "why waste money on a moose tag for an immy that we'll never see"
Well, within the first hour of daylight they saw 3 of the damn things. so they skipped the midday and went for a trip to the nearest town for a moose tag. they went back out with only one moose tag hoping to see at least one of those immies again, and low and behold they saw all 3. they ended up with one moose.
but it wouldnt have happened att all if the tags werent valid for 24 - 48 hrs.

sawmill
11-18-2009, 05:55 PM
The wife and I were on our Leh doe hunt this fall,she got hers,she cut her tag and I gutted it and loaded in the trunk (Poly Lined)and we headed home.On the way within 15 minutes I spotted a BIG dry doe so I filled my LEH as well.Cut my tag on the spot.
Now I have a problem,what to do with her ?So we raced home,unloaded hers and me and a buddy went back to get mine with his truck.Mine was out of site from the road where she dropped but if she wasn`t I would have moved her or brushed her up some.That does`nt make me a criminal.
Besides I was back in 30 minutes to recover her.Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar(Sigmond Freud.)

Fixit
11-18-2009, 05:57 PM
On another note I would love to see ALL tags not valid for 24-48 hours after purchase

fuc Kthat, ive had to buy tags at the last minute more than once, are you saying that i shouldnt be allowed to legally hunt after i buy a tag, for 24-48 hrs!

im assuming that you feel that people shoot animals and then go buy tags, and this would stop that. well you know what, im not guilty of this and so dont paint me with that same brush

Fisher-Dude
11-18-2009, 06:10 PM
the only activities or actions that were "ILLEGAL" for "CERTAIN" were those actionsof the 2 morons sitting on a ridge,prior to the deer being killed!

Theft! and Illegal cancellation of a game species tag!, the only 2 illegal activities for CERTAIN in this scenario!:-?

I'm with elkdum.

fuc Kthat, ive had to buy tags at the last minute more than once, are you saying that i shouldnt be allowed to legally hunt after i buy a tag, for 24-48 hrs!

im assuming that you feel that people shoot animals and then go buy tags, and this would stop that. well you know what, im not guilty of this and so dont paint me with that same brush

Bobcat, caribou, cougar, g-bear, lynx, goat, and sheep tags are NOT valid until 2 days after the date of issue.

Gateholio
11-18-2009, 06:13 PM
I have shot deer, not gutted it, covered it with brush and gone to get a backpack and a camera. Was gone well over an hour.

I'd be pretty annoyed to return and find that someone had stolen my deer.

In my opinion, what they did was theft, illegal cancellation of tags, illegal possession of wildlife and on and on...There is no legal provision for a person to take it upon themselves to do what they did.

The only legitimate way they should have touched that deer is if a CO instructed them to do so.

frenchbar
11-18-2009, 06:19 PM
Taking someones game and tagging it as their own is pretty fin low if you ask me!

Viking
11-18-2009, 06:26 PM
Normally you have to have both sides of the story to determine the right or wrong of the action, but I do believe it is ilegal to cut your tag for a game shot by someone else.

mcrae
11-18-2009, 06:28 PM
I have had to leave stuff before as well and what I usually do is leave my pack or jacket or something with the critter so if someone was to stumble along they would realize its somebodies critter and leave it be...

Of course with my luck it would be some numbnutz that figured it was his luck day he found a buck and a new jacket all in the same spot!

I can't say what they did was right or wrong but there is no way I would cut a tag and take a deer I didn't shoot. Just my 2 cents...

ruger#1
11-18-2009, 06:29 PM
I have shot deer up around Clinton and wont gut them, Because the ravens chew the meat all to hell. Then i have the long walk back to get help. Sometimes its an hours walk. And it doesn't matter how many branches you cover it up with they still find it.

Big Lew
11-18-2009, 06:30 PM

That's what I first thought when the young fellow was telling his story, but when I suggested as such, he said that the shooter had cut the throat after dragging it into the bush.

dougan
11-18-2009, 06:50 PM
sooo your the bugger who stole my buck eh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! no not realy

PhOeNiCiAn1
11-18-2009, 07:52 PM
A young rifle hunting fellow and his partner were sitting near the top of a ridge overlooking a partly re-grown slash, At the bottom of the slash was an old logging road. They watched a vehicle stop, the passenger get out, shoot, and then both the shooter and driver run ahead, pull a whitetail buck out of the brush, then drag it back further into the bush, cut some branches, cover it up, and then sweep away any signs , and then get back into their truck and speed away. The young fellow and his partner waited about 3/4 hour and then went to their own truck and drove around to investigate (total time they said was just over an hour) They found the buck, it had not been gutted, so they tagged it,gutted it, and loaded it into their truck and were on their way. While relating the story to me a couple of weeks later, they said that they were convinced that the shooter and companion were hunting mule deer, had no whitetail tag, and went racing to the nearest town to buy a tag, some 2 hours away. Fire away with your opinions!

Hi everyone I am a new member here, And I found this scenario very interesting.
1. It is illegal to carry a firearm loaded in a vehicle, If the passenger that shoot the W/T shoot that fast, I assume He had the gun loaded.
2. When I do a kill and after punching My tag, I place a ribbon on the Antlers with My name if I have to continue hunting. I would also include My Cell Number and License plates.
3. I honestly would have called the CO to investigate and solve this mystery.
But to steal from either a poacher (I am not saying they where poachers, We don't know that) or an abiding hunter is not the way to go and is dangerous, Adrenaline can run very high in a situation like that.

Big Lew
11-18-2009, 07:57 PM
I want to thank everyone for their responses, it has troubled me since having the story told in my presence. I was one of many at a private house dinner party and didn't feel it would do any good to get too involved at the time. Reflecting about it later, I know, were I in the same situation, I certianly would not have tagged and taken the deer. I don't think I would have even gutted it. I probably would have stayed up on the ridge area hunting (according to them, it was shot early in the morning) for the rest of the day, then, if they had not returned, gutted it out, left it where it was, and phoned a CO when I was in a cell phone receptive area. As many of you have said, there are too many possible situations likely.

Prowler
11-18-2009, 08:06 PM
I have given this a lot of thought as well, and as well as editing my original post I would also like to add, I now agree with most on here, that taking that particular buck was not the way to go. Now having said that, I still think that gutting the dead one I found, with no sign of hunters around, and honestly believeing that it was a deer that was lost to a hunter (unable to follow it up after the shot) was not wrong at all. It was the last day of an unsuccessfull hunt, and we both figured "why not somebody must have shot it, and couldnt find it" I know not all will agree, but thats the way we responded.

JCVD
11-18-2009, 08:41 PM
Hi everyone I am a new member here, And I found this scenario very interesting.
If the passenger that shoot the W/T shoot that fast, I assume He had the gun loaded.
I place a ribbon on the Antlers with My name if I have to continue hunting.

#1 You must be incredibly slow on the draw from a vehicle..or you do no road hunting whatsoever. I keep a cartridge between my fingers and a 17 hmr clip in my shirt pocket for grouse. If I see something I can easily slide out and bang/flop an animal in seconds. I don't have loaded guns and I don't shoot from my vehicle either.

#2 Someone like the two dinks that stole the animal from those guys can easily take off the ribbon(easier to find I might add) and claim it as their own. Happened to a trophy blacktail shot by Boyd Iverson. People can be theives end of story. From the story as it is though, the boys did nothing wrong and the rest is just conjecture.

MRoy10
11-19-2009, 07:08 PM
Key points were that the fellows who shot the Deer happened to cover up there tracks really quick.. a little suspicious if you ask me I have never Rushed to an animal after i have killed .... I personally would not have tagged the deer and taken it. but definately would have called a C O just to let them know what happened..

bigben
11-19-2009, 07:25 PM
After reading all these replys would it not be in the best interest to observe and report ......could of got liscense plate number and phoned the CO .........where I come from we don t touch what is not ours ........let the law decide the circumstances .............?

KevinB
11-19-2009, 07:50 PM
I don't care if the two guys that shot the buck were waving a big sign in the air reading "we just shot this buck illegally and we're leaving it here and we're not coming back to get it". It is still illegal for someone other than the shooter to cancel their tag and take the deer.

That doesn't necessarily make the 2 "deer grabbers" bad guys or anything, it just makes them ignorant or uncaring of the law, and ignorant of any scenarios other than illegal ones. In the end, they were the ones who were in possession of an illegally canceled deer tag.

PhOeNiCiAn1
11-19-2009, 08:07 PM
#1 You must be incredibly slow on the draw from a vehicle..or you do no road hunting whatsoever. I keep a cartridge between my fingers and a 17 hmr clip in my shirt pocket for grouse. If I see something I can easily slide out and bang/flop an animal in seconds. I don't have loaded guns and I don't shoot from my vehicle either.

#2 Someone like the two dinks that stole the animal from those guys can easily take off the ribbon(easier to find I might add) and claim it as their own. Happened to a trophy blacktail shot by Boyd Iverson. People can be theives end of story. From the story as it is though, the boys did nothing wrong and the rest is just conjecture.

1. Well, You know unfortunately for You this tread is not about You bragging how fast You are, This is about some facts exposed said that:
"They watched a vehicle stop, the passenger get out, shoot,"
Is not being said He loaded the gun.

2. Taking the ribbon adds premeditation to a crime You know? And sets a legal ground to defend Your property if You happen to be in that area. If the boys who took the deer have seen a ribbon with a name + Cell number Then The story as it said by them would have change and They would not have robbed the deer, However they took the W/T suspecting of something illegal which gave them the green light to steal committing an offence themselves.

JCVD
11-20-2009, 06:04 PM
1. Well, You know unfortunately for You this tread is not about You bragging how fast You are, This is about some facts exposed said that:
"They watched a vehicle stop, the passenger get out, shoot,"
Is not being said He loaded the gun.

2. Taking the ribbon adds premeditation to a crime You know? And sets a legal ground to defend Your property if You happen to be in that area. If the boys who took the deer have seen a ribbon with a name + Cell number Then The story as it said by them would have change and They would not have robbed the deer, However they took the W/T suspecting of something illegal which gave them the green light to steal committing an offence themselves.

LOL! it has nothing to do about me bragging or being amazing. Thats my whole point. I can do it and so can anyone with practice who does it often. As in it is obvious that you do not road hunt on a regular basis. How the hell could anyone see someone pop in a clip or load a single cartridge and close the bolt form the passenger side anyway?Or at a distance?Takes 1-2 seconds. Most hunters I know can do it with eyes closed.
Fact is your speculating based on an unscrupulous eyewitness account,perhaps they left that part out of the story.Third person accounts are so incredibly accurate you know. I was just stating common practice as I have always seen(and done) happening.
Its still easy to take the ribbon off and say its your deer. Your word against his, unless you have photo evidence that it is indeed your deer. There is no legal ground to "defend" your property either. We do not live in the states. At best you can call a c/o and report it. Unless you feel like taking the law into your own hands which is not legal in Canada.
No one knows those guys reason for leaving the deer. It doesn't sound suspicious to me in the least. I would get the heck out of there as well, so that no deer thief sees where I stashed it and takes it. I get the heck out of an area quickly when I leave my mushroom patches, doesn't mean I'm doing anything illegal.Although they obviously forgot about the ninjas who lurk in the woods waiting to take something that is not rightfully theirs based on their own opinions.

Shooter
11-20-2009, 06:18 PM

I didn't paint anyone with any brush. It is already in place for certain species. And it doesn't stop people from hunting them. Is it really that big of a deal to buy your tags in advance? Piss poor planning if you ask me if you don't buy your tags till the day of the hunt. What would be one good possible reason for waiting to buy your tags? Other than simple procrastination. I have yet to hear of anyone that goes on a hunting trip that didn't know a day or 2 earlier that the trip was coming.

wolverine
11-20-2009, 06:36 PM
Yeah, I gotta say taking the animal was wrong. I have shot deer myself and left them and gone back to camp for help. Got back one morning just in time for breakfast so I stayed and about an hour later after having a second coffee we went back and picked it up. I did cut my tag right away but didn't ribbon the antlers or anything. I guess you just never know who will do what. I feel sorry for someone that feels that they have to take someone elses animal and claim it for their own. I hope they are no longer hungry. I can't beleive that someone did this and felt it was a good topic of discussion knowing you were a hunter. That takes a special kinda stupid! Good job on holding you tongue... probably would have ended in a hell of an arguement.

Shooter
11-20-2009, 06:47 PM
I definately would not have taken the animal either. However it is difficult to gain the "vibe" of the situation from a second hand story. If it did indeed feel like it was suspicious a quick call to the co was all the action needed.

twoSevenO
11-20-2009, 06:52 PM
Tagging out on a deer someone else shot?? WTF is the matter with you people.
LEAVE THE DEER WHERE YOU FOUND IT, IT'S NOT YOURS!!!1

that pretty much sums up my view 100%.
How desperate are you for venison that you need to scavange other people's kills?

As for the original topic, yeah, those guys either had no tag, or wanted to see if they could get another, bigger, deer. Whatever the case may be, you should call RAPP if you think it is suspicious enough, but not go out there field dressing someone else's animal

leadpillproductions
11-20-2009, 07:16 PM
ive left animals in the bush , no knives, get help, and even keep hunting when allowed too . mabey they shouldn't take what isn't theirs, who would want too in the first place.

muledeercrazy
11-20-2009, 08:23 PM
I have given this a lot of thought as well, and as well as editing my original post I would also like to add, I now agree with most on here, that taking that particular buck was not the way to go. Now having said that, I still think that gutting the dead one I found, with no sign of hunters around, and honestly believeing that it was a deer that was lost to a hunter (unable to follow it up after the shot) was not wrong at all. It was the last day of an unsuccessfull hunt, and we both figured "why not somebody must have shot it, and couldnt find it" I know not all will agree, but thats the way we responded.

Myself and my regular hunting partner once took a friend who was a new hunter on a trip to the mainland. We thought it was a good idea to try to get him his first mule deer buck, and we put him in a good spot where a decent 4by4 walked out early the first night. Two things happened, the first was that he was so excited he missed his first two shots completly. The third shot took out part of a leg, and the fourth hit him dead centre in the guts. The next thing that happened is he dissapeared back into the timber very quickly. We waited an hour and went looking for him, only finding a little bit of blood. At this point we didnt know where he was hit, and decided all we could do was come back the next day to look again. It took 3 hours the next morning to find him, and it gutting him was not too fun as some of you can imagine! My point is, we shot the deer and we eventually found him. How does someone else have the right to decide i havent recovered a deer quickly enough and they can illegaly tag it and steal it for themselves? Nothing wrong with leaving it alone and calling a c.o. if you are concerned, but taking it is illegal.. and wrong. also, in regards to an earlier comment.. who hunts in an area that has cell phone reception? what good is to leave a note on a deer?(does that mean that somehow it is all legal?) leaving a note that your going to get a partner and have tagged it doesnt mean it is really tagged does it? Best just to call the co's if you can, or take the plate and report it later. if they ended up going into town to buy a tag, the co's can check that out.

Jelvis
11-20-2009, 08:31 PM
One thing you should learn form an old time rule for good health
Never eat an animal or bird even fish that you found dead
the two main word$ ---- found dead ----a no no----
Jel -- never eat something you never killed or saw killed that you found dead

Big Lew
11-20-2009, 08:58 PM
Yeah, I gotta say taking the animal was wrong. I have shot deer myself and left them and gone back to camp for help. Got back one morning just in time for breakfast so I stayed and about an hour later after having a second coffee we went back and picked it up. I did cut my tag right away but didn't ribbon the antlers or anything. I guess you just never know who will do what. I feel sorry for someone that feels that they have to take someone elses animal and claim it for their own. I hope they are no longer hungry. I can't beleive that someone did this and felt it was a good topic of discussion knowing you were a hunter. That takes a special kinda stupid! Good job on holding you tongue... probably would have ended in a hell of an arguement.
You are so-o-o right about holding my tonque, if I wasn't a non-relative quest, it would have been a lively chat, that's for sure. They seemed quite proud of the fact that they got a deer without firing a shot, and told their story in a bid to cover up their guilt of taking it. As I said before, maybe the shooters did do something illegal, but maybe they didn't as well, 2 wrongs don't make a right, I personally would not have taken the deer away.

Caveman
11-20-2009, 09:26 PM

This alone would make me think something is not on the "Up & Up". I would come to the conclusion that it was taken illegally. Even if I forgot my knife I would tear my tag with what ever I had and load the deer hoping to come across a hunter on my way out and borrow a knife if I could. I wouldn't be doing a four hour round trip to get one. What did they cut the branches with or were they just busted?? I'm not sure I would have taken the deer but I might report it for sure.

Some hunters, or should I say people, do some things more than unethically incorrect, and I have witnessed a few. It baffles the mind what must go through their minds when they do things such as this, but I get the impression they knew what they were up to and either got nervous being in the open and intended to return later.......or not, by covering their tracks so no one would be the wiser. IMHO!!

I have not read the thread, so these are just my thoughts, with no influence from earlier comments, so just my gut feeling, as many I imagine.

Brambles
11-20-2009, 10:43 PM
This alone would make me think something is not on the "Up & Up". I would come to the conclusion that it was taken illegally. Even if I forgot my knife I would tear my tag with what ever I had and load the deer hoping to come across a hunter on my way out and borrow a knife if I could. I wouldn't be doing a four hour round trip to get one. What did they cut the branches with or were they just busted?? I'm not sure I would have taken the deer but I might report it for sure.

Some hunters, or should I say people, do some things more than unethically incorrect, and I have witnessed a few. It baffles the mind what must go through their minds when they do things such as this, but I get the impression they knew what they were up to and either got nervous being in the open and intended to return later.......or not, by covering their tracks so no one would be the wiser. IMHO!!

I have not read the thread, so these are just my thoughts, with no influence from earlier comments, so just my gut feeling, as many I imagine.

Dragging the buck back in, covering it with branches and dusting their backtrail. Could be suspicious or They might have been paranoid that someone was gonna follow their tracks into the brush and steal their deer. Can't blame them, look at what some assholes did, they stole their deer:roll:

JCVD
11-21-2009, 02:06 AM
Dragging the buck back in, covering it with branches and dusting their backtrail. Could be suspicious or They might have been paranoid that someone was gonna follow their tracks into the brush and steal their deer. Can't blame them, look at what some assholes did, they stole their deer:roll:

Exfrickenactly:twisted:

mrdoog
11-21-2009, 02:52 AM
One thing you should learn form an old time rule for good health
Never eat an animal or bird even fish that you found dead
the two main word$ ---- found dead ----a no no----
Jel -- never eat something you never killed or saw killed that you found dead

I'll remember that the next time I open a can of tuna.

kgs
11-21-2009, 03:48 AM
I would have left it and called the co's after I got their plate number and filmed them with my camera that I always carry while hunting ..Too risky to get involved people do desperate things to get out of trouble don't need a shoot out lol..

MikeH
11-21-2009, 06:09 AM
Sounds like they didn't have a tag and were going to town to get it, hence why covering it up.

fozzy
11-26-2009, 10:15 AM
A partner came across a 4pt Whitetail this year in 8-14, shot in the neck and found very close to the road, (about 50 yards). Was it left there because of ground shrinkage? In this case I wish someone had found it and tagged it as their own. Too bad it went to waste :(
As for the original post, having thought about it some more I think that if they were all legit a simple note tied to the animal would have been wise. Being that there were two of them one could have stayed there with the animal while the other went for knives as suggested. Just seems too strange to me.