PDA

View Full Version : joke + Looking for some advice

Kevin So
11-18-2009, 01:20 AM
Joke First:

Two construction workers at the job site, just been told by the forman that they have to work overtime this weekend. Of course they were talking about how much they would rather be hunting than being there at work this weekend. One of the guy said to the other " I am bet you I can get out of working overtime and go hunting this weekend". "Thats impossible, we are behind schedule and the forman will not let you not work the weekend" said the other guy.

So the guy tied a rope to the ceiling and started swinging back and forth. The forman saw him and ask what the heck is he doing, he replied " I am a light bulb sir!" "You are Nuts! Get out of here and don't come back to work until you're better!" They guys walked out and drove straight out of town hunting.

The other worker saw this and want to go hunting too! so 2 minutes later, he was walking around in circles and running into things. The foreman saw this and ask what the heck is he doing? He said "Jeezzz, how do you expect me to work without a light!"....he was off hunting for the weekend too.

OK..advice needed from the experienced. We were hiking throught the bush following some big tracks last weekend, and was as quiet and careful as we can cause the tracks are big and looking fresh.

Came up a small revine and popped up on the buck we were tracking, we have the wind to our face and he was bedded down with another doe 10 feet away from him. we freezed in our tracks as we were no more then 40 yards away from him. I picked up my bincos to try to ID him to make sure he is legal and my hunting partner was completely still and staying low. before I can ID him, he was up and gone along with the doe.
stayed there for 10-15 mins to let them calm down and start to track him again. Even with the heavy tracks, we eventually lost the tracks cause he was pretty smart...he merge into a heavily used game trail with a mess of prints on it.

Question: whats the best method of stalk/sneak up to a bedded down deer? Also, what is the typical behavior of a spooked deer? So far I have notice they run away downhill if they can and they tend to circle back from where they were spooked. Do they come back to the area they were spooked the same day? or are they long gone so don's waste time staying in the same area where they were spotted?

Thanks for sharing your experiences:-D

kennyj
11-18-2009, 06:37 AM
Sounds like you know how to sneak up on bedded deer to me.As for spooked deer,I've been lucky to track bucks in the snow a few times and they almost always make a big circle.I've followed them right back onto my own tracks several times.Something to think about.
kenny

Steeleco
11-18-2009, 07:07 AM
We spooked a buck out of his hiding spot back in Oct. Later that afternoon, my buddy got him in near the same spot. Each animal is different, some run, some stop to see why they are running, the smarts ones don't stop!!!

bigbear350
11-20-2009, 01:53 PM
Hiking in the alpine this year I came across some tracks that were coming down towards me which stopped on a dime and ran for the timber... I thought to myself oh great, I just spooked a huge buck, judging from his prints... well I followed them into the timber.. back onto the road, into the slash.. back into timber and then road again... once they hit the road they disapeared!!! I figured if i get up high enough I might be able to spot him down below... well I must have started to catch up to him again because the tracks I was following which were headed down the mountain.. were miss matched with a few going up the mountain.. there were about 3 tracks and one looked like he had jumped a fair ways... upon closer inspection.. he was stepping in his tracks that were going down the mountain, while he was going up! very clever... I never found that buck, but that same day I found another big bruiser of a 2 point standing with another smaller buck on the timberline... From my experiecnce, they all have different personalites... some high tail out... others put there head down and slowly move off... some double back, circle in there tracks... I have seen big ones run up hill and down hill... it really depends on the deer. The big ones though like steeleco said, don't stop running, thats why they become the big 5x5's!

ufishifish2
11-20-2009, 05:29 PM
Almost every deer I have ever followed has gone up, then down, then up again, then down to the valley bottom. After that they go up to the top of the mountain, and then down halfway on the other side, then up again....... you get what I mean. If you don't flush em in the first 400 yards, you are probably screwed. But that is just my opinion. Some guys are far different than me, I think quieter.......