PDA

View Full Version : Tulameen Methods for deer (8-5)

llloyd
11-17-2009, 03:22 PM
Being VERY new to deer hunting, I am looking for a tiny bit of advice, or someone who wouldn't mind showing me the ropes for this weekend we want to get out and hunt!

Basically, I have seen/heard of many different methods.. being

a) get out and walk
b) drive around on a quad
c) rip around on a rzr looking
d) drive around in your truck staying warm *jk* :mrgreen:
e) climb a tree and wait after spraying buck spray around
f) walk around clicking old antlers together

Obviously (due to seasons) we can only spot mulies, but white tail bucks are still in season there.. and also a key point of this weekend is to practice finding them so that when bow only seasons are open we can get out again!

Now, I have spent a lot of time dirtbiking and sledding around the tulameen (lawless) area, also up behind the gun club.. so we were thinking of just getting OUT there and seeing what we see (worst case - good days hike!).. obviously if we were to get lucky or find something it would be a great story and great eating..

hoping to not get flamed for being too green, i plan on reading a bunch before the weekend but thought i'd throw this out here.. and with any luck get off to a good start of a hunting career

Anyways if you're interested in coming with us or have some hints anything would be greatly appreciated

Ajsawden
11-17-2009, 04:18 PM
I just returned from a hunt in tulameen. In fact I shot my deer in the lawless drainage. It was my first mule deer hunt, and so with that I learned a whole bunch of things.

#1 The deer are where they are. They can be anywhere at anytime, especially this time of the year

#2 I shot my deer on a hike, in the timber, at the top of the mountain. It was an 800 yard drag downhill to the truck. But see #3

#3 There were about 5 deer shot that I know of in the same areas we hunted. Four of those deer were shot from the road. So you may laugh at road hunting, but it is quite effective, and yes, you stay warm.

None of this is very good advice, but just letting you know, you dont have to do everything perfect. Try a combination of things.

Oh yeah...

#4 Nothing helps better with deer hunting than a whole pile of luck

11-17-2009, 04:19 PM
There are far better spots with a higher success rate for Whities then Tulammen ..... your mainly going to see Mulies ........ good luck with the W T
if thats where you must go.
Might want to think of the Midway, Granby, Rock Creek areas if your serious about Whities.

Just my 2 Cents

Personally I would even consider that area for a serious WT hunt.

CT

ruger#1
11-17-2009, 04:25 PM
I would go north of princeton, Around Goose lake and Ludwick, I have seen whitetails in that area. I have heard that they have lots of snow, So i would look for the most deer sign and hunt that area.

llloyd
11-17-2009, 04:29 PM
There are far better spots with a higher success rate for Whities then Tulammen ..... your mainly going to see Mulies ........ good luck with the W T
if thats where you must go.
Might want to think of the Midway, Granby, Rock Creek areas if your serious about Whities.

Just my 2 Cents

Personally I would even consider that area for a serious WT hunt.

CT

Interesting, the real 'call' of that area is i have a cabin in tulameen ;) I will consider an early rise and heading up there.. even if all we need is Mulies we will record where we see them and get back on the 25th for bow season..

Anyone else see a 'lack' of WT's in Tulameen

Blainer
11-17-2009, 04:32 PM
As Aj said and has proven,there are some nice bucks in the area you have targeted,but,they are mule deer.
If you are in search of whitetail,you may want to research an area with better odds.
I will post a link with a cam of Tulameen,so you can keep an eye on the snow conditions.
Good luck.
http://www.tulameenbc.com/ (http://www.tulameenbc.com/)
p.s. we harvested 3 -4 point bucks from Tulameen this year(myself and 2 young lads),unfortunately nothing big,but they are there

ruger#1
11-17-2009, 04:43 PM
Must be a bad day there, No quads parked infront of the gas station.

Steeleco
11-17-2009, 04:54 PM
There are a few WT in the Kane valley area, but if your hunting them, you'd best be in the area before they are. I've seen plenty of animals over the years, but nearly always seen them after they busted me!!

11-17-2009, 05:03 PM
Its not as hard as you may think to harvest a deer. It is on the other hand hard to shoot a big deer. Just have fun out there get out and walk in the trees and in the cut blocks spend the day driving from place to place get out spend an hour here and there...... but be in your best spot at sun rise stay there either sitting or still hunting until 10 or so and spend the last 2 hours of the day sitting looking a something you think is good.
another hint in a new area i write down road names/numbers and what i saw. It is amasing what you can forget.
get out explore look for sign focus where the sign is best.
good luck

blacktailslayer
11-17-2009, 06:11 PM
You forgot a method for snow this time of year. Cut a fresh track, track him down, then shoot him. Can be very effective!!:mrgreen:

snowhunter
11-18-2009, 08:45 AM
I was shocked to find out how many quads that drives in and around Tulameen. Must force lots of deer into dense forest, that cannot be accessed by these noisy gas guzzlers. Therefore stalking on foot into areas that are off limits to quads, should be a better option while deer hunting that area ?

Iron Glove
11-18-2009, 09:22 AM
We rarely see white tails around Tulameen, lots of mulies of course.
There are whitetails between Princeton and Coalmont tho' and when looking for mulies there we always have a white tail tag just in case.

Brizz
11-18-2009, 10:07 AM
llloyd, I was in the EXACT same situation as you this last weekend (13-15). I had a cabin in Tulameen and a white tail tag. My hunting partner and I are also VERY new to hunting (2nd trip) and have not harvested a deer. We did a combination of road hunting, following larger deer prints, spot and stalk and siting in a concealed spot calling. We were not expecting to see any whitetails as most of our research told us it was basically all mulies. We did however find white tail deer on the road to Brookmere. If you want practise just cruise the Otter Valley, if like other posters have suggested you are very serious about harvesting a white tail, go at least to the Chain Lakes area which is still pretty close.

BiG Boar
11-18-2009, 10:17 AM
Grab a back roads map book, and just head out there. Drive around for the first day and note the best areas where you think you would like to hike and you are finding sign in the snow. No sence just getting out there if there isn't tracks around. Once you locate a good area, sit down in the cutblock at dark and wait till the sun comes up, sit and glass for a few good hours, then go for a walk for a few, trying to remember the wind in all of this, then before dark get set up where you saw the most tracks of the day. If you don't see much tracks head to a new FSR in the back roads map book and try again.

weatherby_man
11-18-2009, 11:14 AM
Must be a bad day there, No quads parked infront of the gas station.

Ya, but someones brave enough to be using their bicycle!

llloyd
11-19-2009, 07:37 PM
Thanks for the tips everyone, heading out tomorrow to see what 8-5/8-4/8-6 holds for us this weekend!

llloyd
11-23-2009, 01:41 PM
Mission Success!! Check out my brothers write-up here; thanks for all the advice!

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=42627

Steeleco
11-23-2009, 01:52 PM
Congrats to you both, roughly what area were you in??

fuzzybiscuit
11-23-2009, 03:54 PM
Thanks Blainer for the link to the cam at the Tulameen store. I haven't hunted there for about 10 years, so it brought back some memories.