PDA

View Full Version : Drunk Driving on Forest Service Roads

Surrey Boy
11-17-2009, 01:34 PM
I haven't been hunting more than two years, but this fall I've noticed alot of guys bombing down the road all red in the face with a beer in their hand. Is this normal activity or have I just had a few bad weekends?

I don't bring alcohol when I'm alone outdoors just because I need all the strength and concentration I can get. I'm not a teetotaler by any means, but I hate to think of what will happen if I'm alone with a gun driving decently on a logging road and some drunk crashes into me.

I've been hunting this fall and last spring (open black bear season) around Harrison Lake. I've only noticed it on weekends, but already it's starting to get to me.

ultramafic
11-17-2009, 02:04 PM
I dont think you are alone in noticing this type of behaviour you have likely also see these same persons throwing their cans out the truck windows as well.

I am pretty sure there is all sorts of insurance issues first of all being off road ( not sure if your truck is covered or not ) and for certain if the other driver is found to be impaired, since their insurance can be void due to their condition...

mike

Manglinmike
11-17-2009, 02:31 PM
The local roads around the valley are full of redneck 4x4 guys out to have fun and drink beer,not a good place to hunt ,head further out of town,you well see more game and less trafic

WKCotts
11-17-2009, 02:43 PM
I make sure I throw the cans in the box :-D

Barracuda
11-17-2009, 03:19 PM
yup sadly it is far to common to see drunkin Hillbillies and inconsiderate louses "Hunting" while being drunk.

Far to many People think that thier time in the woods is more important then yours and they lose all sense of responsibility and behave like assholes .

I feel sorry for their Children.

Surrey Boy
11-17-2009, 04:11 PM
Guess it's one of those things I'll have to take in stride, just like everything else in life. I feel bad for the truckers having to deal with it.

ruger#1
11-17-2009, 04:14 PM
You should see the idiots on the long weekend. That place turns into a hell hole. Not worth the drive. Weekdays not to bad.

11-17-2009, 04:22 PM
funniest thing I've seen on the road was when I was driving from pemberton to harrison on the back road through 2 sketchy reserves. and me and my buddie counted Bud can after can on the side of the road then I guess after the last beer whoever was driving tossed the empty case out the window. nice... 10 minutes down the road find a suv in the ditch abandoned with a few more emptie buds inside. guess that guy had one to many.

11-17-2009, 04:37 PM
Your tracking skills are phenominal 870. Did the cans look fresh? do bad the prey was already dead though :)

blacklab
11-17-2009, 05:12 PM
I've always noticed it's always redneck hunters that drive drunk on logging roads, and throw their beer cans out.
They could be endangering wood cutters,dirt bikers, loggers, guides and outfitters, ethical hunters, anglers, foresters, sightseers, ranchers, or anyone else using FS roads, who we know would never drink and drive.

It's so pollitically correct to blame hunters, makes everybody feel just a little superior.

Barracuda
11-17-2009, 05:41 PM
well the same guys that hunt while drinking are very often the same ones that 4x4,quad,etc while drinking

Gateholio
11-17-2009, 06:01 PM
funniest thing I've seen on the road was when I was driving from pemberton to harrison on the back road through 2 sketchy reserves. and me and my buddie counted Bud can after can on the side of the road then I guess after the last beer whoever was driving tossed the empty case out the window. nice... 10 minutes down the road find a suv in the ditch abandoned with a few more emptie buds inside. guess that guy had one to many.

For some reason, Budweiser and "chuck the empty case out the window" seem to be a tradition around certain areas in the Pemberton/Mt Currie/ Lilooet Lake area...

boxhitch
11-17-2009, 06:07 PM
Its a status symbol and has been for years.
You won't find me tossing Black Label cans, no siree

boxhitch
11-17-2009, 06:10 PM
I haven't been hunting more than two years, but this fall I've noticed alot of guys bombing down the road all red in the face with a beer in their hand.
You'll do good as a hunter. Your powers of observation are good.

Squirrelnuts
11-17-2009, 06:23 PM
I've always noticed it's always redneck hunters that drive drunk on logging roads, and throw their beer cans out.
They could be endangering wood cutters,dirt bikers, loggers, guides and outfitters, ethical hunters, anglers, foresters, sightseers, ranchers, or anyone else using FS roads, who we know would never drink and drive.

It's so pollitically correct to blame hunters, makes everybody feel just a little superior.

Well, to play devil's advocate... I work in the bush, and the Budweiser flowers don't seem to blossom until hunting season. Yeah, the occasional one blooms a bit early, but it's kind of a running joke: "hunting season must have started, there's empties everywhere."

It's shitty and it reflects poorly on us but we (hunters) are responsible for the VAST majority of the empties in the ditch. It'd be a hell of a coincidence, otherwise.

boxhitch
11-17-2009, 06:39 PM
I work in the bush, and the Budweiser flowers don't seem to blossom until hunting season.
Coincidentally, the traffic increases then too. Hmmm......

11-17-2009, 06:42 PM
Man ....... hard to hold back on a SURREY comment here ........

Dooohhh!

Toooo funny, I used to live in Surrey but quite drinking when I moved to
Langley.

CT

Squirrelnuts
11-17-2009, 07:01 PM
Coincidentally, the traffic increases then too. Hmmm......

If you're talking about industrial traffic that's not always (or even usually) the case, actually. Winter logging hasn't started, and the summer areas are usually concentrated on a few road systems. A lot of the stuff I work on in the summer and fall hasn't seen a logging crew in years yet the cans still show up like clockwork... The VAST majority of this shit comes from hunters; to try to deny that is dreaming.

I'm sorry, but it's true.

ufishifish2
11-17-2009, 07:02 PM
My neighbor, who is a rancher, proudly boasts how much money he makes every year picking up all the beer cans along the logging road that he lives on.
I make it a rule to try and do something nice for someone every single day. Meeting my neighbor is the best thing that ever happened to me!!!

kamloops killer
11-17-2009, 07:43 PM
The people that throw there beer, pop cans out the window thanks. Because fishing and hunting season you pay for my hunting and fishing licence and if lucky my tags. Keep the bud can comming.

ROEBUCK
11-17-2009, 07:50 PM
yup sadly it is far to common to see drunkin Hillbillies and inconsiderate louses "Hunting" while being drunk.

Far to many People think that thier time in the woods is more important then yours and they lose all sense of responsibility and behave like assholes .

I feel sorry for their Children.

if you think its bad over here wait till you get down under!!
if your not a drunk then your not gona fit in !!
good luck down there!!

FLHTCUI
11-17-2009, 08:05 PM

Seems so easy to blame those that live on sketchy reserves !!
I too have traveled that same road, except to say the reverse direction
not only did I not see any critters of the ungulate type nor did we see anyone until we made it up to Port Douglas, we didnt even see a beer can or a spare tire or a burned out car either.
Then when we stopeed at the hot tubs it seemd my tire tracks gained some attention from the locals peeping to see if the girlfreind and I where prancing around neekid .
Anyways, it isnt cool to Stereo type us Hunters or anyone else for that matter.... People who break the laws are Criminals, plain and simple, just be gald you didnt enounter the driver from the green SUV in the ditch coming around any of those narrow and blind corners.
Rob
Anyways

BCTRUCKER
11-17-2009, 08:06 PM
I was hunting last week in Campbell River (MENZIES BAY ) a guy stops
at my camp and asks for a cork screw. He said he needed a drink while he was road hunting. And on the island Lucky seems to be the most popular.

ruger#1
11-17-2009, 08:08 PM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/gordon_campbell_arrested_dui.jpg I think it was this guys doing.

CabinFever
11-17-2009, 08:12 PM
I was hunting last week in Campbell River (MENZIES BAY ) a guy stops
at my camp and asks for a cork screw. He said he needed a drink while he was road hunting. And on the island Lucky seems to be the most popular.
I don't know whether to laugh or cry at that one! :???:

Barracuda
11-17-2009, 09:19 PM
good luck down there!!

actually saw far less drunk hillbillies there then here and far far less when they are with a firearm.

After the hunt or fishing they drink it up or at a party etc but i find they are far happier when drinking then many folks here . The mindset there is completly different when it comes to consumption and how to act.

boistorus yes but not rowdy and obnoxious .

Common mid beer such as carlton or XXXX is only about 3-% so even if you had 6 it would be the same as three of ours.

you do realize i have been there right LOL!!!!

Blainer
11-17-2009, 09:25 PM
good luck down there!!That is funny,as I was thinking the same thing earlier today.
I believe I did see someone sober in Ozz,but then again it was pretty early in the morning.
The wife aught to love how they treat the Sheila's .
Been there myself as well.

ROEBUCK
11-17-2009, 09:37 PM
just pulling your leg!!
i hope it works out for you down there,emmigrating is a lot of work!!
its a very male chovanist place and too damn hot for me and very limited hunting opertunitys ,but excelant fishing and lots and lots of pubs and drunken chicks, enjoy

Gateholio
11-17-2009, 09:44 PM
After the hunt or fishing they drink it up or at a party etc but i find they are far happier when drinking then many folks here . The mindset there is completly different when it comes to consumption and how to act.

boistorus yes but not rowdy and obnoxious .
!!!

I've been working in Whistler for well over 20 years, and consequently I have observed The Drunken Australian on more than one occasion. Yes, these are mostly younger Aussies, but there is nothing more rowdy and obnoxious than a group of drunk Aussies in Whistler...:mrgreen:

Barracuda
11-17-2009, 09:49 PM
The wife loved it there.

People were civil and treated her with respect. not once did a person act in a manner that you seem to be implying.
I found the women of Australia of strong will and certain mind .
Not weak or repressed by legislation but every bit an equal to any man in every way .

the wife enjoyed the refreshing atmosphere.

Gateholio
11-17-2009, 10:08 PM
I'm sure you enjoyed Australia. They remain in control there.

But I'm not implying anything.....I'm stating straight out- If you ever want to be disgusted by Australians behaving badly, visit a nightclub in Whistler during the winter season. :-D

bowhunterbruce
11-17-2009, 10:12 PM
while out last saturday i was almost at a new spot i had found when i came across 3 guys in a burgandy dodge glassing the cuts blocks,i stopped and asked if they saw anything yet as it was around 830 ish in the morning.
the reponce ii got was that of "kinda tough to focus that far away when your hungover" then the driver piped up saying but we are working on curing that though by drinkin more beer.
so as i drove away i'm thinking to myself, well i sure am glad i was never into that kind of hunting when i was a 20 something year old like they were.i guess that how they were shown up where they were oringinally from in bella coola but were living in kamloops now.
i carried on and 45 minutes later had a modest 4x3 on the ground.
while i was driving back out i had taken a different route and started comming across foot prints down the middle of the road then a beer can,more foot prints,more beer cans until i came to a junction where i see 3 guys standing there all with guns. as i pulled up to them it turned out to be the kids from earlier.i asked them if those were thier beer cans i was seeing and they responded with thier truck battery died while they were listing to tunes and the sub-woffer sucked they life out of the battery.
then they proceed to tell me about a friend comming up to give them a boost in a green chevy.
as i drove away thinking about the cables i had in my back seat, a smile came to my face as they had walked no less then 6 km's already and them not knowing the area all that good im sure it was gonna be a long day before thier friend found them.however the roads around there were fairly busy so i new they would not be harmed but at least they might just think about how karma follows everything ya do and good ol murphys law jumps in at every oppertunity ya give it.
maybe they accually had time to sober up after running outta beer before someone picked them up and jumped thier truck for them.
kinda poetic dont ya all think especially when they saw a 4 point in my truck as i drove away lol

sawmill
11-19-2009, 05:53 AM
For some reason, Budweiser and "chuck the empty case out the window" seem to be a tradition around certain areas in the Pemberton/Mt Currie/ Lilooet Lake area...
It ain`t just there Gate,you should see this area especially in elk season.And why Budwieser?Weird,must be the official roadhunter drink.:confused:

endtimerwithabow
11-19-2009, 11:32 AM
im sure that some of you guys on here drink and hunt. theres to many empies on the logging roads to deny it. maybe one day you might kill someone that would be a hard lesson to learn.

303Brit
11-19-2009, 11:54 AM
Well, I consider myself to be a pretty redneck 20something hunter, but as a few other have pointed out the empties offset the cost of my gas during hunting season.

On the Island seems lucky is the roadhunter crappy beer of choice, when I hunt in the relatively local area I see them everywhere. The most irritating part isn't that they are they, it's the amount of 1/2 to 3/4 full beers that get thrown out. I mean Lucky is crappy beer but thats just alcohol abuse.

P.S I prefer to enjoy my drink, as oppose to wearin ghalf of it while driving down the road.

The Survivalist
11-21-2009, 10:00 PM
I've been hunting this fall and last spring (open black bear season) around Harrison Lake. I've only noticed it on weekends, but already it's starting to get to me.

Harrison is pretty packed on weekends. I was up there with my wife and son a little while back and some loogin on a ****** chariot missed my truck by an inch. Don't get me wrong I like to have a few wobbly pops in the woods but I don't get intoxicated and try to drive and always pack out what I pack in. Common sense.

However, Harrison is paradise compared to Sylvester Road! Been up there? Disgusting.

Skagit Valley is my destination of choice right now. Peaceful.

ruttingbuck
11-21-2009, 10:12 PM
Ever here of Hansel and Greddle? Maby these people leaving cans on the road just wan't to find their way home! Not that I would do anything like that!!!

ruttingbuck
11-21-2009, 10:12 PM
I have a GPS!!

bsa30-06
11-21-2009, 10:21 PM
People driving drunk in the harrison area is the norm and not the exception to the rule.I once saw a guy driving all over the road, with a passenger hangin out the window with a rifle in his hand didnt stick around to see the out come, one other time driving down the road i was watching the tire tracks in front of me swerve from side to side and then right off the road and down the bank, i stopped and checked but the occupents werent inside.

Big7
11-21-2009, 10:33 PM
I have a GPS!!
Does that help you find the beer cans or your way home?!

TIKA 300
11-21-2009, 11:05 PM
I agree about hunters and beer cans,but i picked up a guy and his girlfriend up Sylvester about 9:00 @ night in feb,cuz he rolled his truck....THEY were PISSED

Followed a guy on an aug long weekend who came from Nahatlatch to Harrison,all he had on his quad was a LARGE cooler of beer(empty @ this time)Never seen anyone so PISSED in my life !!! He tore off a tire on the road where you cross Big Silver just above the old Interfor camp,guy was lucky he didn't hit the drink he would have been sturgeon bait.

I wont play mr innocent either,when i drank,the second those tires hit the dirt,beer was open (never while hunting)That first one calmed my nerves from the days crap....

Passed 3 guys @ 9 in the morning looking for Dixon lake (as were we)We found it,as we went down the trail,these guys took the alum boat loaded all their gear in it,than proceeded to let it slide 200' down a washout into the lake :confused: :confused:

Spy
11-21-2009, 11:05 PM
Drinking & driving is a criminal offense so is using a firearm. Littering carries a max $2000 fine.Report what you have seen.There is a time & a place for everything. Hunting & drinking don't go.I enjoy beers after the hunt when I can relax with my mates & don't have to drive anywhere.

ROEBUCK
11-21-2009, 11:22 PM
i dont see the problem!!

I drive better and shoot straighter when im drunk!!

Surrey Boy
11-22-2009, 12:03 AM
If nothing else on this site, I like the honesty by guys who admit to roadhunting and alcohol misuse. It doesn't make a man any better to deny his flaws, it just makes him a liar too.

ruger#1
11-22-2009, 12:08 AM
Passed 3 guys @ 9 in the morning looking for Dixon lake (as were we)We found it,as we went down the trail,these guys took the alum boat loaded all their gear in it,than proceeded to let it slide 200' down a washout into the lake :confused: :confused:[/quote] This is why they are putting a gate up. Nice more lost hunting grounds because of stupidity.