PDA

View Full Version : importing bullets from USA

longshotz
11-17-2009, 09:20 AM
Far be it for me not to support the local guy, but sometimes you just need something more specific that he doesn't carry and won't and/or can't bring in.
In this case its the specialty hard cast heavy for caliber bullets for the .444 or .45/70.
Before I hear the advice of "buying Canadian" I will tell you that a close friend did buy some" hard cast" .45 cal. 405 gr. gc. bullets from a Canadian company which broke up on impact with the shoulder bone of a 1300 lb. bull moose from a paced off distance of 137. The mv. of this load was 1811 fps. 5 shot average.
Moose medicine in any ones book, except the bullets were not up to the task; contrary to what we were told.
Not to bog down in details, but 2 shots and several hours of tracking later we had the critter down.....a f<*=%/g long ways from our camp!
Classic bullet failure.
I won't go into the other details here, as this post is a request on how to get the quality hard cast bullets from the various US players in the game (Beartooth Bullets, Oregon Cast Bullets, etc.) without going to the USA yourself and all that entails (passports etc.) for essentially a one time purchase of hunting bullets.
I say hunting bullets specifically, because this same firm (as do others in Canada) do sell cast bullets adequate for punching paper or smaller game like deer.
Anyway, whatever any advice or help you can give would be appreciated.
By the way, the hard cast bullets of which I speak need to be of between BHN 15 and 22.
This combination is due to the proper %'s of tin, antimony and lead as well as a certain heat treatment process. This combination prevents bullet fragmentation as we experienced and all that followed.
This is for the benefit of all who are contemplating the use of cast bullets in the .444 or .45/70 for the big stuff.
Thanks for the info.

Longshotz

Kody94
11-17-2009, 09:30 AM
Google Jae-bok Young and Crater bullets. Talk to him directly.

riflebuilder
11-17-2009, 09:59 AM
The first step is to apply to the Canadian department of external affairs for an import permit which takes three to four weeks then you send the copy of the permit to the US exporter and they in turn need to apply for an export permit from either treasury dept or ATF, this can take upto 3 months. Then you can import your bullets. Most manufacturers will not bother with all of this for small orders. You would be better off finding a Canadian manufacturer or casting your own bullets. The equipment to cast bullets does not require an export permit.

Steeleco
11-17-2009, 10:25 AM
Have a look at the politics section here on the site. I stickied a page some time back about the legalities of EXPORTING products like these from the States.But the simple fact is "It's Illegal" Also Like I've said before, don't confuse Importing to Canada with Exporting from the US. I can be VERY costly.

stanway
11-17-2009, 10:30 AM
I purchased 405gr cast bullets for my father's 45/70 from OMA (timberhunter on this site) earlier in the year. The 405's loaded in front of IMR 3031 had no problem with a bull moose this fall - one shot at approximately 100 yards into the lungs. The bull only went about 40 yards. No photos, unfortunately, as Dad doesn't carry a camera when he is hunting.:rolleyes:

Give Marc a call and try out the OMA bullets. They are good quality and much easier than importing from the US.

Good luck.

James

longshotz
11-17-2009, 10:48 AM
I purchased 405gr cast bullets for my father's 45/70 from OMA (timberhunter on this site) earlier in the year. The 405's loaded in front of IMR 3031 had no problem with a bull moose this fall - one shot at approximately 100 yards into the lungs. The bull only went about 40 yards. No photos, unfortunately, as Dad doesn't carry a camera when he is hunting.:rolleyes:

Give Marc a call and try out the OMA bullets. They are good quality and much easier than importing from the US.

Good luck.

James
Congrats on the success you enjoyed.
Granted, there are no import issues here and I'm sure the bullets of what you speak are of superb quality.
The question still stands as to what is BHN and are they up to the task as described in my post?
Not to diminish your accomplishment or question your info., but most any decently cast bullet will do the job on a lung shot. IE no heavy bones to bust up the bullet.
I suspect that unless you (or others who intend to use the cast bullets as we did) will find out the hard way (as we did) that a shoulder hit will test bullets and the results will not be to your liking)
And, no, we didn't use OMA product on our hunt.
Much appreciate the reply

Longshotz