PDA

View Full Version : Chilliwack Valley?

FlyingHigh
11-16-2009, 11:41 PM
my buddy wants to take me waterfowling and he's thinking of going somewhere up the Chillwack Valley. Neither of us have any experience waterfowling in the lower mainland as he's from Smithers and as i've never been waterfowling before. we would probably be looing for ducks and geese before they close. anyone have any info on this area or maybe suggestions where we could start? thanks.

wolverine
11-16-2009, 11:55 PM
Well, I don't know of anywhere back up that way to hunt ducks. Only ducks I've seen in that neck of the woods is Harliquin Ducks floating down a fast mountain stream, nothing you would want to be shooting at. Go out to Kent Outdoors in Agassiz and talk to them. There may be some public access spots out along the Deroche Slough that are going to be better than the Chilliwack Valley.

longshotz
11-17-2009, 09:47 AM
my buddy wants to take me waterfowling and he's thinking of going somewhere up the Chillwack Valley. Neither of us have any experience waterfowling in the lower mainland as he's from Smithers and as i've never been waterfowling before. we would probably be looing for ducks and geese before they close. anyone have any info on this area or maybe suggestions where we could start? thanks.

Access is a major problem in the entire Fraser valley and the Chilliwack area is no exception.
Kent Outdoors is a good starting point, as are any of the huntin' and fishin' stores out that way.
You might also strongly consider joining a club and perhaps some of the members might be of some help......once they vet you and know you better.
I used to hunt the Harrison river flats on the way to Weaver lake, but it is a long walk and or a highly portable watercraft is needed.
My point is that to access water fowling in the Fraser Valley you need one or all of 3 things:
access to private land
a specialty type of watercraft
strong legs and long winded
and oh yes....a good dog is not a bad idea.
Longshotz

FlyingHigh
11-17-2009, 10:12 AM
thanks for the info. i'll get in touch with some of the local shops. :)

my grandfather has 10 acres on Sumas Prarie Rd. i'm going to talk with him and see if he gets many waterfowl flying over, since they have a small pond.

PressurePoint
11-30-2009, 02:05 PM
thanks for the info. i'll get in touch with some of the local shops. :)

my grandfather has 10 acres on Sumas Prarie Rd. i'm going to talk with him and see if he gets many waterfowl flying over, since they have a small pond.

Um.. why are you even posting? 10 acres on Sumas Prarie. Thats an awesome area to start. And with a pond... You need a hunting partner? If its in the Special Area Regs for hunting you should have dinner in the freezer before you know it.

FlyingHigh
11-30-2009, 02:08 PM
Um.. why are you even posting? 10 acres on Sumas Prarie. Thats an awesome area to start. And with a pond... You need a hunting partner? If its in the Special Area Regs for hunting you should have dinner in the freezer before you know it.

well, first off i don't know much about the habits of waterfowl, so i don't know whether they would fly over his area or not. sounds like they do. the "pond" is actuall more of a large puddle, maybe about 30ft in diameter. i've talked to him, but he hasn't seen many ducks or geese overhead this year. they've all been farther north, mostly on the other side of keith wilson rd.