PDA

View Full Version : Synthetic oil

silvercreek20
11-16-2009, 01:00 PM
I recently change my oil in my quad to the new Arctic Cat 5w50 synthetic oil. When i work the quad i now get a really "sweet" smell like cotton candy or something? I left it in the garage overnight looking for an antifreeze leak or something and found nothing? Any one else experience this smell with the new synthetic oils out there??

srupp
11-16-2009, 05:14 PM
Hi Mike..I used a quad that ran the new synthetic oils and it didnt seem to smell any differnt to me..my quad uses the old dino oil....

hows it going ???

CHEERS
steven:tongue:

goatdancer
11-16-2009, 05:28 PM
I've run synthetic oil for 3 years and have never noticed any kind of smell.

vanislehunter1
11-16-2009, 10:58 PM
If you are smelling that, could it be that your quad is burning oil?? That's also something to think about.

Pioneerman
11-16-2009, 11:09 PM
I have always run synthetic oils in my atv's and never noticed any smells like that. I always run the name brand oils as ell I do not run the motorcycle manufactures oils they want to much for the same stuff . You might notice a different smell if you have a breather tube spitting the new oil onto a hot part of your engine. Synthetic oils take a lot higher temps so do not burn as regular oils would. also if you have the slightest leak anywhere synthetics will leak more as it is thinner . I found that out years ago on my Yamaha Kodiak, it never leaked before the synthetic oils and when I changed it over it leaked at the pull start area, and I tried changing back and it stopped, but I still went for the synthetics cause so much better protection.