PDA

View Full Version : Last minute Muley Bucks!!!

Untouchable
11-16-2009, 12:30 PM
I had one deer tag burning a hole in my pocket and was eager to fill it with a big Muley. My little Brothers buddy had never taken a mule deer before and had the week off work to hunt, so a plan was quickly formulated. We planned on heading to Prince George on the first day, however after talking to some guys in Quesnel we opted to try our luck out by williams lake. On the drive up we had almost taken out a decent four point on the highway! We hunted for two days in williams lake, seeing the odd doe and odd buck but no shooters. Lots of wolf sign...
Forget this, lets head up to Prince George where it's any buck, not to mention any doe. During daylight hours, in two days of hunting we didn't see a deer. There were wolf tracks everywhere! We thought we would at least shoot a dog, but we never even saw one. Man this late season hunting isn't much like september muleys. Well I know some good spots in region 3, lets start heading back towards the coast.
The first two days we got into my spot, we didn't see any hunters or any deer, although the tracks were abundant. I waited till after dark and drove the roads trying to figure out whether the deer were nocturnal, no dice. We were completely discouraged, and decided to give it one more day. :(
I busted out my mapbook and decided on some roads taking us into some promising looking areas. It started snowing mid morning as I was heading up this one road I'd never been on. We were looking for fresh tracks crossing the road, but we saw zero. Around one o clock we reach the end of the road, and meet up with a forestry worker. "yah been seeing the odd doe, no bucks in three weeks up here though...". Just what I wanted to hear! Turn around and start heading out. On the way down I caught sight of something moving in the woods(one of those times when you don't know if it was something or not) I ask Mike whether he saw it and he thought he saw something too... Lets go for a hike.
He grabs the shotgun with birdshot for small game and I grab my 7mm and we get walking. When we get to the spot where we thought we saw it there was fresh deer tracks. However they were tiny tracks. A hell we ain't seeing anything anyways, lets follow em for a picture. We are now in the thick timber, and we can guess by this deers bounding tracks that it is now aware of our presence. Then we cut across two bigger fresh tracks. "I vote we follow these ones". Off we go. This wasn't still hunting, I was marching through the bush. Within ten minutes of following these tracks my heart skips a beat. Through the thick stuff I catch movement. The deer I had seen moves over the knoll and I cant see what it is. I take another step forward and see an absolute brute take a step and turn to look at me. Safety off, scope covers open, find his vitals through the brush and squeeeeeeeezeeeee. Felt like a good shot.
Oh My God!!!! Did that just happen!!! After a week of hard hunting and not seeing hardly anything, just like that! What a thrill. Lets go follow this blood trail before the snow covers it up. 30 yard recovery and I give thanks. Here is what we walked up to.
http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x105/themanfromsummerscreek/DSC00890.jpg
http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x105/themanfromsummerscreek/DSC00885.jpg
http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x105/themanfromsummerscreek/DSC00904.jpg
The truck was about a kilometer and a half, but the road was only about 500 meters downhill! The kid gets the truck while I take the brute down to the truck. By the time we field dress and load him there is about an hour and a half of light left. I really want to get the kid a deer, so we head down the road. Lets go for another walk... We get out of the truck just in time to see the forestry guys( there's a second one now) making their way out for the day. I had to show em my deer and they say there was three more bucks on their way down. Alright guys, we whip the truck around and head back up the mountain. In the exact clearing where we had parked the truck earlier there's now deer...doe doe doe.....buck. Instantly the kid hops out, yeah he's a four take em! Earlier in the day we were shooting long range at some targets and he still had his gun focussed at 1500 yards and on 18 power! needless to say his first shot was clean miss. Shoot again! Made no mistake on the second shot, a clean heart shot put em down for the count. We were jacked! high fives and cigars! unbelievable! After our week of hunting it all came together just like that! The kid with his first Mule Deer!
http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x105/themanfromsummerscreek/DSC00912.jpg
http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x105/themanfromsummerscreek/DSC00914.jpg
:-D:-D:-D:-D:-D:-D:-D:-D:-D:-D:-D:-D:-D:-D

swampdonkey
11-16-2009, 12:38 PM
congrats nice looking bucks

d6dan
11-16-2009, 12:38 PM
Now thats a Good Days Hunt out of a week of hunting!. Very well done and Congrats to the both of you:-D Persistance payed off big time..:wink: Both are Classy mulies...

gary murray
11-16-2009, 12:39 PM
Nice looking deer. Man i wish i wasn't tagged out now that i've seen your two brutes.

lightmag
LOVE the tall, thick 4x3, cool buck!! congrats on a great day!

leadpillproductions
nice lookin bucks congrads

kwasky
11-16-2009, 12:41 PM
Nice deer. That first ones sure tall and heavy. looks wicked.

Blainer
11-16-2009, 12:44 PM
Nice heavy bucks.

11-16-2009, 01:01 PM
NICE BUCKS FELLAS ....... you you you sons of $$$^%%%$%%$$$%$$#@!#$!!!!

Congrats to you.

CT

KB90
11-16-2009, 01:14 PM
WOW luuuuccckkkkky. I want your luck, nice bucks!

Deadshot
11-16-2009, 02:13 PM
Beauty bucks!
Love that tailgate pic.

Manglinmike
11-16-2009, 03:47 PM
way to go guys it's not every day that you get the chance to whack two nice 4 spikes in the same afternoon!

RBH
11-16-2009, 04:06 PM
Godfrey Daniels!! Well done!

Um, just one question. Did you say which one is bigger? :twisted:

jrjonesy
11-16-2009, 04:07 PM
Wow, both beautiful bucks!!

Congrats!

hillclimber
11-16-2009, 05:14 PM
man those are both MONSTER bucks. wish i could still go out this year. you wanna tell us where you shot em? PM's are fine:-D

cheers
stefan

kennyj
11-16-2009, 06:27 PM
Nice bucks.I love the interesting antlers on the larger one.
kenny

Tikka7mm
11-16-2009, 07:24 PM
sounds like you earned it - congrats!

mark
11-16-2009, 08:16 PM
Love that first buck, tall, heavy, freaky rack for sure!

Wild_Dog
11-16-2009, 08:27 PM
Beauty bucks!!

Not that I don't the date you were hunting in Williams Lake or anything, but as a reminder to anyone else coming up here, Region 5 is closed till Nov. 21 (which is f****lame).

I should head to region 3 obviously!!

cainer
11-16-2009, 09:15 PM
You can' t ask for much more than that-2-4 points in 1 afternoon! I can't even remember the last time i saw 1. Nice work boys

Rattler
11-16-2009, 09:29 PM
Congrats on a couple of real nice bucks.

Brambles
11-16-2009, 09:49 PM
Good lookin pair of bucks you guys, congrats

steepNdeep
11-16-2009, 10:08 PM
Way to hang in there! If you put in your time and you know they are there... with the rut, eventually they'll let the little head do the thinkin... it only takes 1 deer (2 in your case) Congrats - nice bucks! :cool:

hunter1947
11-17-2009, 05:21 AM
great looking bucks the two of you got ,love the one with the tall antlers ,congrats to the two of you.

Untouchable
11-17-2009, 02:17 PM
Thanks for all the comments guys. Here's another crappy pic that shows his height a little better.
http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x105/themanfromsummerscreek/DSC00916.jpg
full ruttin buck neck on em'

Don_Abbate
11-17-2009, 04:16 PM
Those are some Fat bucks good job one like that got away from me 2 weeks ago before i could even raise my gun im still thinking about it and still pissed off

smurleigh
07-05-2010, 02:31 PM
im the kid, RIP Cam mcleod aka, untouchable, I will remember this hunting trip forever.

2slow
07-05-2010, 03:20 PM
? confused did untouchable pass away?

hillclimber
07-05-2010, 03:21 PM
same here... did he pass on?

BlacktailStalker
07-05-2010, 03:36 PM
Shows he was online yesterday ??

Caveman
07-05-2010, 08:52 PM
:???:Looking at the kids post and untouchables, untouchables account was used after the kids post:confused:

smurleigh
07-06-2010, 09:16 PM
yea i was on his accont yesturday getting ahold of some old friends he was in a car crash yesturday :(

Brew
07-06-2010, 09:26 PM
So sorry to hear smurleigh. It really sucks to loose close friends. Looks like you have some good memories together. May he rest in piece.

pnbrock
07-06-2010, 09:29 PM
x2 lost my best friend of 20 years due to an accident .never forget the good times, rip untouchable.

Caveman
07-06-2010, 09:42 PM
Sorry to hear it Smurleigh! Another life taken way to young! Keep his memory alive, as the hunt you two had will forever be a part of you. RIP!

BiG Boar
07-06-2010, 09:53 PM
You just never know when its your time. Very sad to see someone go so young. Remember the good times and get that buck mounted up, even if you have to find another cape. RIP untouchable.

sheep.elk.moose fanatic
07-06-2010, 09:58 PM
wow sorry for to hear that, in the land of big bucks now rest in peace:neutral:

Spy
07-06-2010, 10:01 PM
Thats really sad.:I just read the thread & enjoyed the story way to go not giving up.Im Sorry for your loss,It sucks loosing a bud.

4pointer
07-07-2010, 01:19 PM
Sorry to hear about your loss. I met Cam once while hunting the Cache Creek area and chatted for awhile, even offered to pack out my brothers buck with us. Too early to lose em. RIP UNTOUCHABLE

blackwater moose
07-07-2010, 01:26 PM
great looking bucks!!

Caribou_lou
07-07-2010, 02:24 PM
If I were you Smurleigh, I'd get that buck of his mounted in memory of him. Thats a great buck he took.

hillclimber
07-07-2010, 02:30 PM
RIP Cam, your in a better place now anyways. I agree with Caribou_lou, get that mulie mounted, you will never regret it. My condolences go out to the family and friends.

BimmerBob
07-07-2010, 02:51 PM
RIP Untouchable, great read of a great hunt, may your journey continue in the great hunting lands of heaven. My sincere condolences to your family and friends, you will be missed.

duckhunt
07-07-2010, 03:21 PM
Untouchable may you rest in peace, and as said by BimmerBob may your journey continue to the happy hunting grounds.

Wild_Dog
07-07-2010, 03:22 PM
I agree with getting that buck mounted. It can be expensive so if you don't have the funds, pm me and I can donate a few bucks towards it.

RIP.

scope-bite
07-07-2010, 03:37 PM
That is very sad. Sounds like a really good guy. What an awesome story with the mulie bucks.

smurleigh
07-07-2010, 07:50 PM
we did a euro mount on his deer so it would be pretty easy to get a hide for it, im really thinking about getting it done for his family, anyone know how much it would cost.

pnbrock
07-07-2010, 08:44 PM
i got a couple of bucks towards it aswell.choose a taxi and possibly a collection could be taken up at that point.im sure a taxi might pipe up?

Wild Images
07-07-2010, 08:48 PM
we did a euro mount on his deer so it would be pretty easy to get a hide for it, im really thinking about getting it done for his family, anyone know how much it would cost.

I would be more than happy to help out on this one !

Ken

Caveman
07-07-2010, 09:02 PM
I agree with getting that buck mounted. It can be expensive so if you don't have the funds, pm me and I can donate a few bucks towards it.

RIP.

i got a couple of bucks towards it aswell.choose a taxi and possibly a collection could be taken up at that point.im sure a taxi might pipe up?

I would be more than happy to help out on this one !

Ken

I think we could be on to something. I'd be in!

smurleigh
07-07-2010, 09:57 PM
is there a good local tax i can call and get a price i live in vancouver

killman
07-07-2010, 10:00 PM
is there a good local tax i can call and get a price i live in vancouver

I believe Wild Images is a Taxi. Sorry to here about you friend, RIP.

07-07-2010, 10:03 PM
I really dont know what to say. You guys have really stepped up.
I truely am sorry. Please lets all remember, this man took his time to take a kid hunting. And the kid is a hunter.

Spy
07-07-2010, 11:25 PM
I think we could be on to something. I'd be in!

Wow ! Hunting BC at its best!:-D

hunter1947
07-08-2010, 03:17 AM
For sure get that buck mounted for a memory buck and have the picture of the two of you hanging beside this memory buck.

I lost a close friend last year and I have a pic of him right above my computer ,every morning I go to the computer I see this picture of him and say good morning friend.

It gives me a good feeling to do this every morning and it would give you the same feeling to see this mule deer mounted and a picture of you and him in it beside one and the other.

It is a very sad thing to loose a hunting partner and a good friend at this age ,may your thoughts be with your friend forever and when hunting up hi above the clouds in the years to come..

Wild Images
07-08-2010, 04:23 AM
I believe Wild Images is a Taxi. Sorry to here about you friend, RIP.

I am a taxidermist and am willing to put this buck together to give the family a lasting memory of Cam and what he loved to do.
I believe I have a nice cape in the freezer, will check when I get a chance in the next day or two

Ken

Wild_Dog
07-08-2010, 07:38 AM
That's good of you Ken. Again, let me know and I can throw you a few bucks for your time.

smurleigh
07-08-2010, 01:50 PM
ken ill pm u my info and i can and just let me know how much it will cost and ill get a little fundrasier with my friends and cams friends.

Caribou_lou
07-08-2010, 03:12 PM
I think this is a great thing your doing here Smurleigh.

Can't wait to see the mount.

Good on ya Wild Images. I'll think of you next time I go to get something mounted. I will definatly be giving you a call.

smurleigh
07-09-2010, 12:28 PM
cams obituarie
http://www.legacy.com/can-vancouver/Obituaries.asp?Page=Lifestory&PersonId=143973224

Rowdy
07-09-2010, 06:52 PM
Your persistance payed off nice bucks!!!

Vanman1985
07-10-2010, 10:15 PM

RIP.

I am a taxidermist and am willing to put this buck together to give the family a lasting memory of Cam and what he loved to do.
I believe I have a nice cape in the freezer, will check when I get a chance in the next day or two

Ken

Sorry to hear about your loss.... It's nice to know there are still some great people out there! Let us know how it turns out.

Brambles
07-11-2010, 09:25 AM

Ken

If you need any cash Ken to help with this cause, let me know. I'm in. Anything to remember a fellow mulie hunter.

RIP Cam

showtimebc
07-11-2010, 09:44 AM
RIP Cam, thanks for sharing your adventures with the rest of us at HBC.

Lee