PDA

View Full Version : Ode to the novice hunter - a true Doe story

ChrisM
11-16-2009, 12:44 AM
WARNING: Lots of words ahead. If you want pics they're at the bottom.

Last weekend was the first time I'd ever gone out deer hunting. Sure, i went on an overnight trip once last year in Boston Bar, but it was rushed and my friend and I were entirely unprepared for a hunt so I count that as camping with guns. All we got from that trip was scope bite and a speeding ticket.

Hardly one for the books.

This time though - it was different. As a new hunter, my friend and I were able to apply for doe tags in 8-9 at 1.4:1 odds - After what seemed like forever we found out we both made the cut!

Now, as a beginner, i thought it necessary to ensure that I had two boxes of ammo for my second hand Parker Hale 30-06, enough slugs to take out a bear sanctuary (because of COURSE i'd be carrying by shotgun on my shoulder and my rifle in hand because when you're alone in the woods there MUST be bears everywhere). I also made sure that I had head-to-toe camo so that I would trick the deer into thinking I was part of the scenary.

As those of you who are laughing at me know, I too now realize that:

A) No amount of camo will make you a better hunter
B) Of the 40 rounds that I had, it only took one to get my deer
C) The shotgun stayed in the case the whole trip.

However, that Saturday morning (Nov 7th), after a night of wine, beer, and excellent pasta from our hunting partner who once had his own restaurant, we set out in the hills behind Skaha Lake to find our quarry @ 6am.

After unloading the ATV's we paired up (there were 4 of us), and set on our way.

Not more than 20 minutes into the day I heard over the walkie-talkie "Chris, I got one!" My novice hunting partner nailed the first LEH Doe of the day! Thrilled that we had meat to take home, my excitement turned to anxiety about whether I would have the same good fortune.

My partner and I continue on the main road and veered onto a more grown in trail.

Then I saw it: a flash of white dashed across the trail we were on. I excitedly tapped my partner on the shoulder to stop the quad. I tried to point out what I saw but he couldnt' make it out. I slowly got out of the ATV and pulled my rifle from the gun-boot. Bringing my $5.99 CdnTire special bino's to my eyes, I cursed as I had to clear away the fog, adjust the spacing of the lenses, and tried to focus in 80 yds ahead.

Then I saw it - a Doe staring right at me - showing me her broadside. I chambered a round and slowly crept up an embankment immediately to the right of our ATV. The Doe remained stationary and I took my time to lay prone and sight her in. As I cursed my Tasco scope, I finally lined her up. Confirming that she was a doe I dropped my sights onto her chest and squeezed off the only round of the trip.

She dropped on the spot and her friend who had been hiding in the bush took off into the woods - my partner went after her and I walked up to make sure it was a clean kill.

Sure enough it was.

After spending yesterday at my friends place learning the less glamarous art of the hunt, she is taking up the upper tray in my freezer.

If you did, thanks for taking the time to read about my first hunt. Taking the shot wasn't nearly as bad as I had imagined it, and I look forward to doing it again. I promise next time I'll use more pictures and less words.

Cheers,

Chris

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/deer-pose-1.jpg

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/two-beginners-two-does.jpg

GoatGuy
11-16-2009, 12:46 AM
Good deal, congrats!

Warms my cold black heart.

sapper
11-16-2009, 12:53 AM
Great story, Chris. I appreciated all the words.

CabinFever
11-16-2009, 12:56 AM
Congrats on your successfull hunt Chris! I'm a novice hunter as well and can relate to a lot of stuff from your story. Sounds like it all came together nicely for you.

Freshtracks
11-16-2009, 01:10 AM
Congrats on some good eats ... the story (words) was great.:wink:

Laurence_Erickson
11-16-2009, 01:19 AM
congrats to you and your partner on your sucessful hunt .The story was great

hunter1947
11-16-2009, 06:14 AM
Very nice wright up Chris ,you and your partner did well on this hunt ,a big congrats to the two of you http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif.

M.Dean
11-16-2009, 06:33 AM
Sounds like a hunting story from a couple old pro's!!! I bet we'll see pics next year of some nice bucks hanging where the does are!!! Congrats!

d6dan
11-16-2009, 08:56 AM
Good story and pics Chris. Congrats to you on your first deer hunt:-D. The story wasn't too long. Keep at the hunting and do yourself a favor, get better binos.:wink:

Roots
11-16-2009, 09:21 AM
Good job to you and your partner! Also a new hunter here, and reading your story just reminded me of my first outing this season...hahaha...

martyonthewater
11-16-2009, 09:36 AM
Way to go guys, always nice to see and here the story of a new hunter dropping there cherry, even better when it's 2 newbies. well done

barry1974w
11-16-2009, 10:24 AM
Well done, good story. Brings back some memories of being over prepared and under experienced.

Ambush
11-16-2009, 02:26 PM
Awesome story and outcome!!
Sometimes I envy you young hunters, with your boundless hopes and enthusism.
Lot's of "firsts" yet to come for you!

Congratulations to everyone involved!!

ChrisM
11-16-2009, 11:37 PM
Hey everyone, I appreciate you all taking the time to share in my excitement. I look forward to getting out again! Hoping to do some bird hunting before Christmas. Maybe i'll have more pics to share.

Cheers,

Chris

Manglinmike
11-17-2009, 03:41 PM
Well thats two less virgins in the bush,now go out there and shoot the ones with the horns on there heads

bigben
11-17-2009, 05:07 PM
Welcome to the world of hunting boys congratulations and may there be many more adventures bestowed appond your crew BONO FORTUNA

7mag700
11-17-2009, 05:14 PM
All that and humble too??? :wink:

Well done!

7m7

11-17-2009, 05:15 PM
dont EVER underestimate how many bullets you might need, you never know when you might get into a barage :)
i read the story it was good and made me think of things ive done (going rambo shotgun on back rifle in hand)
nice deer keep it up

Blainer
11-17-2009, 05:34 PM
Good on ya both.
Now the flood gates have been opened,bucks on the horizon.
I owned that same Parker Hale safari at one time in my past,good shooter.
Save for some binnoculars,the most important tool in your arsenal.

scoopy
11-17-2009, 09:16 PM
Congrats! I can't wait to experience my first deer kill!

shoot to kill
11-17-2009, 09:29 PM
nice flat tops....good outside spread

Dutch Ppoacher
11-17-2009, 09:55 PM
first off congrats!
second, some useful info for you!

i have the same Parker hale rife. i love it. to make it a bit better seeing as they are old. the space between the barrel and stock should be increased. improve the free floating nature of the barrel. this will make it shoot extremely consistent! (found this on a couple before) easily done at home by your self and cheap to do! drill attachment and a sanding bit (inside the gun is simple and not hard to figure out!)

the other thing i would do is put a cheaper used leupold scope on it. i started off with a Bushnell and it was a world better with a 200$ used scope

Curtis