PDA

View Full Version : Wolf Bite

riflebuilder
11-15-2009, 08:17 PM
Got bit by a wolf on Friday. A wolf was hit by a car on the hiway with its back end crushed and as we drove past it tried to drag itself off the road. So we turned around and drove up to where it was and watched it drag its self off the road and lye in the ditch. It was obviously in great pain so we decided to end its suffering. I couldn't find anything to knock it out so I grabbed a knife and tryed to finish it off that way. Well the long and short of it was that the front half of the wolf was still moving pretty fast and it got bit on my right hand. I was able to get around to the other side of the wolf and put it down but he still had gotten me. The puncture bled for about 4 hours and I got lots of disenfectant on it. it hurt like hell the next day and was pretty swollen, the tooth punctured a tendon. I never thought I would walk into the house and have the wife ask what i did to my hand and when I told her the look on her face was worth the pain of the bite I laughted prety hard. I think somewhere in her shock she called me a dumb ass.

vortex hunter
11-15-2009, 08:20 PM
your crazzy man lol lol

killman
11-15-2009, 08:21 PM
She was right! :mrgreen::mrgreen:

That was just crazy! I would be getting that check out and getting a few shots.

green machine
11-15-2009, 08:21 PM
not to many people can say they have been bitten by a wolf.

#1fishslayer
11-15-2009, 08:29 PM
Tell me you are now the proud owner of that dead dog !!!

ROEBUCK
11-15-2009, 08:31 PM
go get a rabies shot on the quick time

Legi0n
11-15-2009, 08:34 PM
really, go see a doctor
[s]he'll most likely prescribe rabies shots

BlacktailStalker
11-15-2009, 08:35 PM
And fill out a will :shock:

d6dan
11-15-2009, 08:35 PM
go get a rabies shot on the quick time

x2. You got more "balls" than most people have!! :oops::wink:

riflebuilder
11-15-2009, 08:39 PM
Yes i have the wolf I am going to get it mounted and use it for a decoy when calling wolf's. They will come running in to kill the decoy trespassing in thier territory. The doctor looked it over and says everythng is ok and not to worry about it.

groove
11-15-2009, 08:41 PM
That, is a COOL story! Glad you ended the beasts suffering, and your hand is OK.

ROEBUCK
11-15-2009, 08:44 PM
go get another doc there is no way he could tell rabies without tests

toyordie
11-15-2009, 08:45 PM
wow thats crazy , on a good note that was very good to end the wolf's suffering

BlacktailStalker
11-15-2009, 08:48 PM
Yes i have the wolf I am going to get it mounted and use it for a decoy when calling wolf's. They will come running in to kill the decoy trespassing in thier territory. The doctor looked it over and says everythng is ok and not to worry about it.

Thats a wicked idea. You could even just rug it and drape it over something in the field.

wolverine
11-15-2009, 08:49 PM
Good thing it wasn't a Griz that got hit and dragged itself off the side of the road eh?......:???:.... Glad you're okay instead of a Darwin Award winner.

Roots
11-15-2009, 08:51 PM
Got pictures? :-D

dougan
11-15-2009, 08:55 PM
let us know what happens next full moon would ya!!!!!!!!!!!

TIKA 300
11-15-2009, 08:59 PM
let us know what happens next full moon would ya!!!!!!!!!!!

I would be locking yourself up around that time,and keeping an eye on when the fangs start to grow. :mrgreen: :wink:

sheep.elk.moose fanatic
11-15-2009, 09:03 PM
Are You Getting A Better Sense Of Smell And Getting Hairy-er???
Lol

Pioneerman
11-15-2009, 09:28 PM
I think I would have just started the thread by I just killed a wolf with only my knife and he only bite me once.

MuleyMadness
11-15-2009, 10:06 PM
go get another doc there is no way he could tell rabies without tests

Roebuck is exactly right...you NEED to go in and see another doctor, have the series of shots for rabies or have the animal tested for rabies. It's nothing to screw around with, unless you figure you might enjoy an extremely painful death. Really by the time any symptoms show, it's too late, you need to go in NOW.

Donny Bear
11-16-2009, 05:27 AM
x2. You got more "balls" than most people have!! :oops::wink:

Only because it bit him on the hand :lol:

hunter1947
11-16-2009, 05:35 AM
That sucks getting a bite like this ,if me I would go to the doc and get it checked out ,hope everything is ok for you.

Ltbullken
11-16-2009, 05:47 AM
Good to hear you got that checked out. I agree with yer wife!! lol! Seriously, hope all is well and that scar will be a conversation piece. Good luck calling.

Deadshot
11-16-2009, 09:22 AM
Heard those rabies shots aren't nice.:icon_frow
Have you gone through a full moon yet?

budismyhorse
11-16-2009, 09:44 AM
Riflebuilder,

Listen to these guys and go get a rabies shot.

"Death usually occurs within days of the onset of symptoms."

Taken from :

http://www.cdc.gov/rabies/about.html

If you wait until you show signs, you die.

Your call.

snowhunter
11-16-2009, 10:03 AM
The next full moon is on december 2 and 31.....

Jagermeister
11-16-2009, 11:35 AM
I would be locking yourself up around that time,and keeping an eye on when the fangs start to grow. :mrgreen: :wink:Actually, I think that the first indications will be some really course hair growing out of the back of the hands, face and back.:biggrin: The reference to the Darwin Award........................well, I think I will leave it at that, however, I think that from now on, we'll refer to you as "Wolfbite".:lol:

abbyfireguy
11-16-2009, 11:45 AM
If you get the urge to hump the boss's leg you're in trouble man!!:wink::mrgreen:.
On a serious note, go see a doctor who knows a bit more about wildlife diseases than your current vet(OOOps, I mean Doctor, my bad:-?).

I got chomped by a coyote 20 yrs ago and it got real ugly after a few days. Nearly lost part of my hand before it turned around and the antibiotics kicked in.
Serious man, get a second opinion!!

Jagermeister
11-16-2009, 11:48 AM
About the rabies thing, I don't think that would be happening but how knows for sure. If you were bit by a wolf up by Inuvik, then I would definitely say go, but are there any animals around Terrace that have been striken with rabies lately? If it were me, (and that would never happen) I think I would would have a far greater concern for a Hydatid infection. Just my 2¢ worth.

ryanb
11-16-2009, 11:56 AM
It's awefully cavalier of the doctor to say it should be fine without testing either you or the animal for infectious diseases.

Chuck
11-16-2009, 01:12 PM
I've also been bitten on the hand.......by a housecat that had been run over by a semi. Its lower half was completely flattened and stuck to the highway.
I reached down to grasp it by the neck scruff and pull it up off the pavement.
Instantly, it grabbed me at the base of the thumb, in the thick part, and locked its jaws tight, right through. Super pain and screaming fright as I recall, trying to get it off of my hand.
Eventually I tore its head off of me and threw it in the ditch. I was maybe 9 or 10 at the time and learning fast.

Sorry about the wolf bite - it must have been like mine X10.

elkdom
11-16-2009, 01:22 PM
Usually a story such as this about avoidable personal injury ,
requires "TWO" characters, of which the names almost always are "DUMB and DUMBER"

please identify yourself, for readers of this post!:-?

wolves are near the "TOP of the FOOD chain "!

other things are near the bottom of "THE BRAIN CHAIN ! "

11-16-2009, 01:34 PM
beware of the next full moon.

riflebuilder
11-16-2009, 06:11 PM
was just trying to put the animal down as it was in a lot of pain, I should of just stabbed first but I tried to knock it out first. should of used a bigger wrench but the one I used was all we had. The bite is just one small tooth punture and yes I should of put on a glove or something like that but at the time I was just trying to end the wolfs suffering. I am fine the Doctor checked me out no infection and other than having its back broken the wolf was in good condition. The possibility of Rabies is quite remote and they did not feel that Rabies shots were warranted. I will let you all know if I feel any urges to howl at the moon.

dougan
11-16-2009, 06:16 PM
OR THEY START WITH HOLD MY BEER AND WATCH THIS
Usually a story such as this about avoidable personal injury ,
requires "TWO" characters, of which the names almost always are "DUMB and DUMBER"

please identify yourself, for readers of this post!:-?

wolves are near the "TOP of the FOOD chain "!

other things are near the bottom of "THE BRAIN CHAIN ! "

rocksteady
11-16-2009, 06:50 PM
I will let you all know if I feel any urges to howl at the moon.

If you start peeing on all 4 corners of your property to mark your territory, go to the hospital....Or at least get a flea collar :mrgreen:

dukester
11-16-2009, 08:13 PM
lets see some pics, wolf and your arm.

hunter11
11-17-2009, 12:25 PM
That's what axes are for!!!!!!

SAVAGE300
11-17-2009, 12:58 PM
When your hand falls off make sure you have it mounted as well and put it in the mounted wolfs mouth that would be cool

honestly--I hope you are OK and done as mentioned in this thread

longhairmtnman
11-17-2009, 01:04 PM
Be thankful it wasn't a beaver..... :mrgreen:

and you still have your nipples!

Gun Dog
11-17-2009, 03:11 PM
If you start peeing on all 4 corners of your property to mark your territory, go to the hospital....Or at least get a flea collar :mrgreen:I've been doing that for years.