PDA

View Full Version : mulie stalking....

MuleyStalker
11-15-2009, 07:51 PM
i have discovered this year that finding cuts with lots of fresh deer sign and glassing early mornings and just before dark is an effective method for mule deer hunting. I am going on a late season hunt and it will be the first time hunting mulies in the snow. Am I better off sticking to my method or can I find tracks in the snow and follow them, hoping that there will be a nice buck at the end?

husky30-06
11-15-2009, 08:11 PM
I do both this time of year. lots of times the bucks are so caught up in tracking the does that you can some times get right up on them. my dog and I usually track the big boys in the snow, their scent stays in the snow longer. doing the stalk in the winter can a bit difficult as the dark movement with the white background can give your movments away. the nice part about the snow and tracking is that you can gauge the age of the track to give you an idea of timing and even thier energy levels as they tend to drag thier feet if you chase them for long distances, this can help to encourage you to keep going.

kennyj
11-15-2009, 08:26 PM
Wear white and remember,at the end of Every track there is a deer.
kenny

hunter1947
11-16-2009, 07:24 AM
A few times I have followed fresh deer track and have found a buck at the end ,but like you said it is better method to set up and wait if there are lots of tracks in your area.

snowhunter
11-16-2009, 10:12 AM
I find that snow is noisy to walk on. Better if you can roadhunt by car, since most deer are not spooked by cars, and usually stands still until you have driven by.