PDA

View Full Version : Training Group / Training Partner

Angus
11-15-2009, 05:49 PM
Hey, I'm in the early stages of training my lab for duck and grouse hunting and I'm looking to join a training group or meet a training partner to work with on one day of the weekend through the winter. My goal is to have him ready next summer to run some hunt tests, and to be ready for the fall 2010 hunting season.

I'm in North Burnaby, but could travel to meet others in the Lower Mainland. If interested, shoot me a PM. Sorry, with this crowd "send" me a PM.

Thanks

Terry

bopper
11-15-2009, 08:50 PM
Hi:
Look up BCRETRIEVERNEWS.CA and then the link to 'Clubs' and you will get the info for the BC Gun Dog Club, B.C., Labrador Ret. Club, Amateur Club and others....
Good luck!

Angus
11-16-2009, 12:58 PM
Bopper, thanks for the heads up.

I did join the Lab Retriever Club a little over a year ago or so and tried to get in with some training groups or find out about them, but no luck, so I didn't renew my membership.

Maybe I just spoke with the wrong people at the time, but I kinda got the sense that there was this secretive little society that didn't want to share their secrets. I'm probably wrong, but that's the feeling I got at the time.

Or, maybe I just didn't know the secret handshake :mrgreen:

Kasomor
11-16-2009, 02:50 PM

I did join the Lab Retriever Club a little over a year ago or so and tried to get in with some training groups or find out about them, but no luck, so I didn't renew my membership.

Maybe I just spoke with the wrong people at the time, but I kinda got the sense that there was this secretive little society that didn't want to share their secrets. I'm probably wrong, but that's the feeling I got at the time.

Finding a training group sucks. Plane and simple. It takes a LOT of effort to get in with the right group of folks that will help you with your dog.

Joining a club is NOT a guarantee that someone will take you under their wing. Been there done that and I didn't know the secret hand shake either. :mrgreen:

It's like showing up at the duck pond with your gun. A bunch of strangers are there and you expect them to take you along on THEIR hunt. Don't know anyone who would either show up and expect this nor do I know anyone who would take someone who shows up with their shotgun on a hunt.

I have found that breed specific clubs in the lowermainland are very closed on who they will take into their folds.

The secret is....shhhhh....you have to be willing to go out and contribute your time to the clubs and club events REPEATEDLY, then your chances of hooking up with like mind individuals who need YOUR help with training THEIR dogs increases and thus you get help with yours.

The clubs out side of the Lower Mainland are much better because they can't insulate themselves by breed. They all need each other to have successful clubs. But again it is getting involved with the club and contributing.

No breed specific club in the LML holds training days either. :(

There are no "lessons" offered in the LML either. :( Bopper DID come down this past year and put on a weekend course :-D but those are very rare.

If you have no luck in hooking up with someone, there is a pro in Chilliwack that trains sporting dogs for hunting and retrievers for hunting and hunt tests. For a fee he will help you train your dog.

Drop me a PM and I'll give you contact information for him if you'd like.

Regards,
Kasomor

Lots'oLabs
11-16-2009, 10:35 PM
Kasomor is correct. It is important to become involved with a club and get to know members in order to be invited along training.

Over the years I've met many people who expressed an interest in wanting to train, but sadly too often either didn't have the time to dedicate, or weren't dedicated to the training process.
A training group makes a huge investment in time for the benefit for all members and their dogs. Go with an open mind to accept advice and be willing to work out in the field in order to have your time on line.

My suggestion is that you re-join the Lab Club ( or any of the other clubs like BC Amateur) and ask the executive to put you in touch with the members who are actively field training.
Additionally you could go for a drive any Saturday or Sunday out around Maple Ridge or Pitt Meadows. You'll eventually come across a group of trucks with dog crates. These people are VERY approachable and will move you in the right direction.
I've also heard that there is a movement in the lower mainland clubs to begin bi-weekly or monthly picnic trials. That would be really good exposure for you and your dog.
Good luck and don't give up. A good training group is the backbone to successful training and you can meet some pretty nice people along the way.

Jimsue
11-17-2009, 10:12 AM
Give me a call , I usually go down to the states every weekend to train, real guns, live flyers, well worth the hour drive.

Jim 604-454-8643

Angus
11-17-2009, 12:28 PM
Thanks for your kind offer Jim; it's very much appreciated.

I'll be in touch shortly.

Lots'oLabs
11-17-2009, 05:33 PM
Live Flyers?!!:mrgreen::mrgreen:
Can we all come?

That's a generous offer, Jim. What a nice guy.

You're a lucky guy Angus!

Busterbrown
11-17-2009, 06:18 PM
At this time of year they are all flyers, it`s hunting season!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

longshotz
12-04-2009, 07:12 PM

I too had a similar response to my overtures.
No returned phone calls. Ignored emails. No shows at meetings etc.

Longshotz

Lots'oLabs
12-05-2009, 01:03 AM
I too had a similar response to my overtures.
No returned phone calls. Ignored emails. No shows at meetings etc.

Longshotz

In order to be a part of a training group you have to take an assertive role. Tell them you want to learn and then listen to what they have to say. Try some of their suggestions and see what happens.

Be prepared to carry equipment and throw bumpers or birds. Invest in some of your own equipment.
You can learn a lot from a training group. There are some especially good ones out in the lower mainland.

There is no "secret handshake". All you need is a willingness to participate.

Angus
12-07-2009, 03:49 PM
Give me a call , I usually go down to the states every weekend to train, real guns, live flyers, well worth the hour drive.

Jim 604-454-8643

A huge thanks to Jim for allowing me to observe and throw a few birds with his training group this weekend!

I saw some amazing dogs and met some great people. I truly appreciate the opportunity, and you going out of your way to make me feel welcome.

The most important thing I learned was, man, I got a lot to learn.