PDA

View Full Version : Bum Hunting Partner

Lillypuff
11-15-2009, 05:48 PM
Well I am new to this site and just finished my first year hunting in the Kootenays. What a tuff area to learn and find hunting partners. Nobody here would take out a newbie elk hunter so I had to learn a few new areas for myself. Found an area that contained Elk and no Hunters. Had a bull answer my weak and pathetic attempt at bugling, and when he answered I proceeded to cow call and he hung up at about 50 yards in the thick crap. Throughout the year had a few more incounters with him but could not get him to come in. The area was just below the alpine which I glassed regularly and found that it contained a few Mulie bucks but time would not allow me to hunt them. Although I tried to get up to them a couple of times and am too fat to climb for 3 hrs so next year I will bring a tent and sleep closer to them so I dont have a heart attack on the mountain. I shot a wiener whitetail the other day because I have been planning a trip to Northern Alberta (home) for whitetails but once again my partner up north has just bailed on me for at least 3 days of 7. Last year he left me with no choice but too hunt with his partner who is a fleaball too work in the oilfield for a few days. This is approx a 15 hour drive. Would not have shot a wiener here if I knew my buddy was going to do this again. Oh well time to try other buddies up in Northern Alberta for next year. Now I have a little knowledge here on the elk and hope to find a real dumb one next year to answer my pathetic attempts at calling. Will trade a buddy up north for whitetails for elk here. Next year will be better.

300H&H
11-15-2009, 06:56 PM
Im no elk expert but I think you need to complete the "elk" puzzle.
You must have done the call close to right, so good on you.
The bull may not have closed the final 50 yards because he did not see what was making the elk call.
Maybe try one of those elk silhouettes that look like a cow elk.
Final piece of the puzzel, maybe.

hunter1947
11-16-2009, 07:30 AM
Well I am new to this site and just finished my first year hunting in the Kootenays. What a tuff area to learn and find hunting partners. Nobody here would take out a newbie elk hunter so I had to learn a few new areas for myself. Found an area that contained Elk and no Hunters. Had a bull answer my weak and pathetic attempt at bugling, and when he answered I proceeded to cow call and he hung up at about 50 yards in the thick crap. Throughout the year had a few more incounters with him but could not get him to come in. The area was just below the alpine which I glassed regularly and found that it contained a few Mulie bucks but time would not allow me to hunt them. Although I tried to get up to them a couple of times and am too fat to climb for 3 hrs so next year I will bring a tent and sleep closer to them so I dont have a heart attack on the mountain. I shot a wiener whitetail the other day because I have been planning a trip to Northern Alberta (home) for whitetails but once again my partner up north has just bailed on me for at least 3 days of 7. Last year he left me with no choice but too hunt with his partner who is a fleaball too work in the oilfield for a few days. This is approx a 15 hour drive. Would not have shot a wiener here if I knew my buddy was going to do this again. Oh well time to try other buddies up in Northern Alberta for next year. Now I have a little knowledge here on the elk and hope to find a real dumb one next year to answer my pathetic attempts at calling. Will trade a buddy up north for whitetails for elk here. Next year will be better.

I love your story and what I see is you are on the right track ,you are doing what a hunter needs to do ,good going you will learn more about all when you keep doing the what you are doing.

To find a hunting partner for life is like bonding a marriage for life there hard to find ,good luck with your hunting in the years to come H-47 http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif.