PDA

View Full Version : 7B: Can't find the moose? Might be looking in the wrong spot

Robert_G
11-14-2009, 08:33 PM
I had no idea moose would inhabit such high mountain peaks.
This photo is was taken NW of Muncho Lake early/mid Oct during the prime of hunting season.
I know moose get spooked, but to head for the higher hills like this? We're hunting in swamps, and instead they are in sheep country????

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=2326&d=1258255922

mark
11-14-2009, 08:39 PM
Wow, that is a cool and rare pic! Ive heard of guys finding moose sheds in the alpine??? Ive found moose sheds at well over 5000'.

PGK
11-14-2009, 08:40 PM
Not terribly unusual. Critters do some funny things. It's fun to get collar data and run it through a mapping program. Got to wonder why they do some of the things they do. I saw some goat data where a nanny sat on pretty much one rock for the better part of two months, then booked it across a mtn and back again.

whitetailsheds
11-14-2009, 08:41 PM
Great photo! Reminded me of something I had never seen before. While looking for Stones sheep, we saw 2 figures on the top of a high mountain ridge with the binos. Wayyyy above treeline! They appeared to be on nothing more that a razor thin ridge.
Once the spotter was on them, confirmed them to be moose.
Checked the area out the next day, and found the reason the moose were as high as they were....wolf sign all over!

takla1
11-14-2009, 09:33 PM
we're got an area up north of ft st james we hunt,right up high at the tree line theres a rocky mountain top maybe 600 metres higher than the rest of the mountain . A few year ago we were watching the cut block at the base of this rocky peak and watched a big dry cow come across in front of us and proceed to climb up a gravel slide three quarts of the way up this mountain,steep as hell, to a small ledge and bed down.would never have believed it if i hadnt seen it myself.south faceing mountain and full of huge black bears as well.

ape
11-14-2009, 09:42 PM
I was hunting goats a few years back and was walking along a trail about 2 meters from the edge of the mountain and what do I see when I look down along the edge moose crap and many piles all along the trail. Not what I had expected to see up there.

The Hermit
11-14-2009, 09:46 PM
Great, now Mountain Moose are going to be on LEH next year thanks to you guys!!! :-D

flyboy
11-15-2009, 10:50 AM
years ago on a mining job on the Bonnet Plumb River,Yukon I saw a full Bull Moose Skeleton On a rock outcropping almost at the top of the mountain, up at least 6000-7000 feet. can't remeber the bosses name on the job but he has a picture hanging in his office as it is a well known picture. I will look thru my pics as I may have a copy.

little moose
11-15-2009, 12:58 PM
some body been on google earth seen that pic there

jaywill
11-15-2009, 01:52 PM
thats smart moose , nobody wants to pack from there!