PDA

View Full Version : bullet wieght retention

wrenchhead
11-14-2009, 11:05 AM
so i recovered the bullet from my mulie this year.(entered right under the chin and ended up resting right under the hide on top of the shoulders.) it went though half of its spine on the way though and still had a beautiful mushroom shape. i cleaned it off and wieghted it and it only wieghed 120.5 grains of its original 180. the bullet was a 180 interlock, shot from a 300 winmag around 2950 fps at 110 yrds.
now i was wondering what kind of luck other guys had with retention with different on types of bullets?

FLHTCUI
11-14-2009, 11:15 AM
Have you compared it what the factory claims for bullet weight retention ?
There is a recently started thread on recovered bullets, and that might be of interest to you as well, I'll try and find it and pass on the location for your enjoyment and comparison as well.
Rob

moosinaround
11-14-2009, 11:15 AM
so i recovered the bullet from my mulie this year.(entered right under the chin and ended up resting right under the hide on top of the shoulders.) it went though half of its spine on the way though and still had a beautiful mushroom shape. i cleaned it off and wieghted it and it only wieghed 120.5 grains of its original 180. the bullet was a 180 interlock, shot from a 300 winmag around 2950 fps at 110 yrds.
now i was wondering what kind of luck other guys had with retention with different on types of bullets?
Haven't weighed my recovered TSX, but I'll bet it is close to 100% So the interlock was recovered, which means the deer is dead, so the bullet did what it was supposed to? all 67% of it? sounds good to me!! Congrats! Moosin

Hombre
11-14-2009, 11:38 AM
I have shot 2 Mule Deer and 2 Moose with Hornady 165 gr sst Interlock,
from my .300 Win Mag.They are devastating at ranges under 200 yds.
This year's Mulie was shot at 400 to 5oo yds. Recovered the bullet.
Perfect mushroom,have'nt weighed it ,but looks like almost 90 %.

wrenchhead
11-14-2009, 11:41 AM
ya what looks like high retention maybe isnt though. my mushroomed bullet looked like it was going to weigh more but after i put er on the scale it was differnt story.

Hombre
11-14-2009, 12:09 PM
Good point .

ape
11-14-2009, 12:11 PM
Deer is dead, job done who really cares the weight of retention. I think we are all buying into the manufactures crap and thinking to much about stuff that doesn't really matter. Now if the deer was giving you hell about the bullet weight retention then maybe I would worry. Worry less hunt more.

Brett
11-14-2009, 02:18 PM
Just use Barnes bullets, you'll never question weight retention again!

gbear
11-14-2009, 04:31 PM
I shot a grizzly this spring with a 300wsm using 180 gr Barnes triple shock. Unbelievable retention. I recovered 3 of the bullets. 1 weighted in at 180 gr, the other 2 at 179.5gr. Couldn't believe it.

eastkoot
11-14-2009, 04:36 PM
If they are so good why did it take 3 bullets???

gbear
11-14-2009, 04:41 PM
If they as so good why did it take 3 bullets???
With Grizzly's, you keep shooting until he is down for good. Plus I was alone and didn't want to attempt a tracking job in the thick timber.

Darksith
11-16-2009, 10:10 AM
Hornady GMX bullets are the future if this sort of thing matters to you.

ryanhuntslots
11-16-2009, 06:47 PM
I find when I start with 225 or 350 gr bullets they tend to retain enough that they go right through,,, I've never found 1 yet

dougan
11-16-2009, 06:53 PM
CUASE THEY ARE BARNS AND ALL THE MAGS ADVERTISE THEM, I THINK THEY ARE "CRAP" BUT THATS JUST ME EACH TO THERE OWN!!!!!!!!!!!
If they as so good why did it take 3 bullets???

Gateholio
11-16-2009, 06:59 PM
Hornady GMX bullets are the future if this sort of thing matters to you.

An all copper bullet with grooves and a plastic tip. Sounds brand new!

http://www.hornady.com/assets/images/products/bullets/cutouts/bullets-GMX-Cutaway.jpg
:mrgreen:

eastkoot
11-16-2009, 08:47 PM
With Grizzly's, you keep shooting until he is down for good. Plus I was alone and didn't want to attempt a tracking job in the thick timber.

Point is, had you been using a decent bullet, 3 shots (oh, that's just what you recovered) would not be required..I'm with Dougan on this one..

leadpillproductions
11-16-2009, 09:51 PM
I shot a moose this fall at a long range lol havent ranged it yet out of 338 win 100% triple shok cant beat that

gbear
11-16-2009, 09:51 PM
Point is, had you been using a decent bullet, 3 shots (oh, that's just what you recovered) would not be required..I'm with Dougan on this one..

Everyone has their preference. Besides, this thread was about bullet weight retention and not a debate on what people think about different bullets.

Gateholio
11-16-2009, 10:00 PM

:tongue:

What is your idea of a decent bullet? :tongue:

Pioneerman
11-16-2009, 10:08 PM
I just shot a nice two point on Remembrance day at 80 yards with my 444 using 265 grn Hornady . It was a head on shot facing up hill towards me, shot through the neck it went half way through the spine and rested under the skin and it weighed 220 grn.

I have also shot moose at 350 yds with my 416 using Barnes X bullet 325 grn and it broke both shoulders and again just under hide far side weighed 315 grn

Little Hawk
11-17-2009, 06:57 AM
I was amazed at the devastation caused by a run-of-the-mill Speer bullet on the first deer I shot with my old 303', bone smashed, flesh jellied etc.
Musta' hurt like hell I figured.

Then I had my first run-in with a grizzly bear and my old Brit suddenly appeared a pea-shooter. After reading all I could from the likes of Shelton et al., I decided that there was some credence to using a bullet designed to retain maximum weight after smashing through large/heavy shoulder bones to reach the vitals beyond. At this juncture it seems nothing yet has trumped the solid heat-treated copper jobby's that Barnes has been building for years.

However, I've heard not all guns shoot them well.

BiG Boar
11-17-2009, 08:31 AM
Fact of the matter is that even Core-Lokt from remington will take down most animals. But you have to ask yourself, do you want weight retention? Or do you want your bullet to Shrapnell? What are the benefits of weight retention? What are the benefits of a bullet designed to split up? You hit any animal in the vitals with most any 150 gr ish sized bullet and it will die. So why do people want weight retention? With a solid copper bullet your bullet should penetrate 28% furthur. Or so barnes claims. So when do you have trouble with penetration? When you start shooting animals close up through heavy bone. Most lead core bullets disintegrate where barnes says they will retain 85% of thier weight.