PDA

View Full Version : Coyote Control Program Sask?? What do you think??

roblikestohunt
11-14-2009, 10:09 AM
Hi Guys, as some of you know ive been working out in sask since early march, The goverment here just announced a new program called the Coyote control program, It pays 20.00 dollars for every hide with the 4 paws intact that is brought in to whoever shoots the critters, Just wondering what you guys think of this program and if BC should have a program like this as well?? Let me know your thoughts..

KB90
11-14-2009, 10:18 AM
from what I understand you keep the hide all they want is proof of the kill, the four paws. But if i'm wrong im sure someone will let me know.

Heres a link http://www.gov.sk.ca/adx/aspx/adxGetMedia.aspx?mediaId=993&PN=Shared

and another http://www.cbc.ca/canada/saskatchewan/story/2009/11/10/sk-coyote.html

Deadshot
11-14-2009, 10:30 AM
Once that fur is prime, the trappers should be stepping up with the $20 as a good coyote is worth more than that. So long as it's not too shot up.
A bounty in BC would certainly get more guys out doing it, but could you imagine the bitching. A couple more people have got to be mauled/killed before anyone would entertain it.

FLHTCUI
11-14-2009, 11:11 AM
It wont work .
The Republik of Kaliforniay tried this many (20) years ago in the LA County region. What they found was the harder the Government trappers/hunters
tried to eradicate the Wiley Coyote the critter responded by breeding faster and produced more pups.
They tried shooting, trapping , poisoning and it did work, they got rid of some of the animals, but Mother Nature kicked in the self preservation mode and it resulted in more Coyotes , that where smarter and moreresilient to the man made threats.

It was later determined that if the human factor controlled thier littering habits, the food supply would dwindle and the natural process of attrition
would prevail.
Don't get me wrong, I try and do my part in the feild to thin the population down or try and take them out when they are so brazen to be trotting down Number 4 Rd in Richmond at 0400 hrs , it is simple, get rid of the food chain and they will dwindle.
I do not have the written facts to support my statement, but if one does a search they will see that Sask. is trying to re-invent the wheel.
Again, I am all for the elimination of these Urban Threats , but the wholesale culling by bounty is slim at best.
Rob

KB90
11-14-2009, 11:31 AM
Once that fur is prime, the trappers should be stepping up with the $20 as a good coyote is worth more than that. So long as it's not too shot up.
A bounty in BC would certainly get more guys out doing it, but could you imagine the bitching. A couple more people have got to be mauled/killed before anyone would entertain it.

You keep the hide and can do what ever you want with it. They just want the 4 paws to show you killed one. SO $20 from gov't + whatever a hide is worth.

steelheadSABO
11-14-2009, 11:32 AM
sounds very good

roblikestohunt
11-14-2009, 11:35 AM
A fellow that works with us got 6 yesterday, on property he owns just outside of regina..not bad for a friday afternoon..120.00 bucks...extra beer money!!

chris
11-14-2009, 04:11 PM
why do we want a bounty on them? I have shot the odd one while out hunting but dont see why they should be considered an animal we would want to exterminate. Maybe Im just ignorant to a greater problem they pose

Summit 512
11-14-2009, 04:56 PM
I think the trappers will take a lot more coyotes now in Sask with a bonas like this.

Chuck
11-14-2009, 05:30 PM
The Nov. F-F-G says that there are a lot of coyotes around. The best pelts will get $30-35 US. Good pelts @ $15-20. While the poorer pelts are about $8-10 and in as much demand as road-killed skunk. So $20 CDN for a crappy yote is just worth the work imo.

cainer
11-14-2009, 08:45 PM
Get paid to hunt coyotes? I guess you could call yourself a semi-pro hunter. Sweet!

killman
11-14-2009, 09:11 PM
Sound good, but on PHC there is a few guy's there from Sask. that don't really care for it. Brings out the bad guy's that run them down with trucks and sleds. Hunt on private land etc. Basically brings out the d!ckheads. I can see that happening.

leadpillproductions
11-14-2009, 09:24 PM
i could retire just hunt yotes lol

fozzy
11-14-2009, 11:45 PM
I'll be heading out for a week of Whitetail hunting and wouldn't hessitate to pop one or two.

In the interior of BC there seems to be lots of them around and not many folks shooting them. Wasn't there a case recently where a Lady was killed by Coyotes?

phoenix
11-15-2009, 12:02 AM
why do we want a bounty on them? I have shot the odd one while out hunting but dont see why they should be considered an animal we would want to exterminate. Maybe Im just ignorant to a greater problem they pose
They are hard on all game populations when their population get's to the point it is at now. We wiped out their natural predator and population controller, the wolves and now they are the top of the food chain and starting to do real damage. I shoot 20-30 a year around my place and it seems to be helping the deer out a bit as I am seeing fawns growing up now where a few years ago I saw very few reaching maturity. I have also seen 2 turkeys in the last couple of months but that might just be their natural expansion as I have not seen any here before but I think less coyotes is helping:mrgreen: I think a bounty here might help control the numbers as Southern BC hides aren't worth alot so most people don't spend alot of time hunting them.
Kim

hunter1947
11-15-2009, 05:44 AM
I think it is another government cash scam ,if you shot a yote you have to spend an hour or so to skin it you pay for gas to get to the area you will be hunting ,big lose from your time and wallet ,then you sell it to the government they then sell it for more money to a foreign country without doing any work ???? :rolleyes:.

It might help reduce the yote population at your time and expense ,if you like yots at a lose then do it but at the end you might get a quarter tank of fuel in your tank when all said and done.

If you want some practice at skinning yots and have lots of time on your hands then go ahead and shoot some.

Summit 512
11-15-2009, 06:12 AM
The way I understood it was you cut the paws off and turn them in for the $20 and the rest of the coyote was yours to do what ever.

phoenix
11-15-2009, 08:58 AM
I think it is another government cash scam ,if you shot a yote you have to spend an hour or so to skin it you pay for gas to get to the area you will be hunting ,big lose from your time and wallet ,then you sell it to the government they then sell it for more money to a foreign country without doing any work ???? :rolleyes:..
They only take the paws the rest is yours to sell. What foreign country pays more than NA for coyote hides??? And they're not worth the effort to sell here IMHO.
Kim

dukester
11-15-2009, 06:32 PM
Sound good, but on PHC there is a few guy's there from Sask. that don't really care for it. Brings out the bad guy's that run them down with trucks and sleds. Hunt on private land etc. Basically brings out the d!ckheads. I can see that happening.

We haven't had a bounty on yodies so speculate all you want what may happen. get out this winter in Sask pick up a new sport of calling dogs and enjoy having the Gov't pay you for it. I'am.. Sleds in sask have a lic plate like a vehicle.. you see someone chasing dogs report them.. This bounty gives me an open wallet to buy a dog gun and take the kids out for some winter hunting. I don't think it will increase hunting pressure or reduce population.... my bounty paws have already started to freeze:mrgreen:

Ruger4
11-16-2009, 08:32 AM
On average , I harvest 20-30 a year , that be a nice hunting fund incentive :mrgreen: