PDA

View Full Version : Billies on the Bluff

BCbillies
11-13-2009, 01:05 AM
Three years had past since my nephew's inaugural summer goat hunt and he was ready for a return trip out west to try the late season hunt. We both drew the same zone and in July we had booked a week long goat hunt for early November. Due to significant family health issues I cancelled the hunt late in September and after 13 straight years of hunting goats I was prepared to forgo the season. By the end of October things began to improve and my gracious wife gave me the thumbs up for a 3 to 4 day hunt provided the house was in order. On the evening of Nov 7th Dustin arrives and shortly after a good friend (& fellow HBCer) shows up at the door with his encouragement for the day, a 10"+, 12 1/2 year old billy.

We head out early the next morning and hike our way to the back on a valley and set up camp. In the vicinity of our camp we spotted 15 goats with 3 billies . . . two of which were near the mountain peaks hanging out with the nannies. The third billy skylined himself on a bluff midway on the mountain and just before dusk headed down the mountain and disappeared into the timber. If nothing else showed we would make our move towards this billy at first light. At this point ignorance was bliss for Dustin. :mrgreen:

Day two arrives with a fresh blanket of snow and we work our way up the slide alder and a strip up timber. By noon we are out of the timber but the slide alder is woven thick and we are still two hours from the desired bluff. At this point Dustin says "if I would have known it was going to be like this I would have said your nuts to climb this!" I tell him "this is fall goat hunting . . . that's what we do for fun around here"! :wink: We break for lunch and do not spot the billy but look the other direction and see other goats on a high bluff. A nanny and kid, another nanny and then three billies making their rounds coming in and out of the brush and onto the open face. I ranged the distance at 380 yards but it appreared much farther with two major gorges separating us. The one billy dorned a good set of daggers that looked like a solid 10" + goat. I put the video camera on him and zoomed in at 40x and thought what if!!! If we could only get up onto that bluff it could be a repeat double header for billies.

We make it down the mountain before dark and scout the options of getting to those billies. While Dustin is not too optimistic of any options I am thinking it can be done. I insist that we will try and if it gets to nasty we can turn back. We head back up the mountain at 8 am and by noon we are in the zone. :-D Over night another blanket of snow has fallen and no fresh tracks are visable. The bluff is extremely slippery and the feeling is not so good. We slowing peak over the edge and 50 yards below is a grassed ledge with four goats peering into the canyon. It's good to have found the goats but I am thinking we are screwed. We are looking at a nanny and a kid, another smaller goat (nanny) and then the big billy. The billy moves off the edge and beds closer towards the face we are on. At first glance I can't see how we can retrieve a downed goat but the more we move through the timber on the bluff the more optimistic I become. With much excitement I whisper "It looks like a short thin strip of alders dips down to the ledge . . . I think that billy is dead!" I inform Dustin that billy is his and that he should take the spine shot at the 50 yards. The shot echos in the valley from the 300 wmag and the billy's life has come to an end. After a short struggle he gets up and another shot puts him down for good. We work our way down to the billy and see that we have taken a dandy. Initial look at the horn growth puts him in the 12 to 14 year range. This goat was approaching his last winter and it wasn't going to be a pretty one given he had no teeth and no fat on his body. We had taken the monarch of this valley and a goat hunt that will forever be in our memories. We made it down the mountain by 8 pm and had lots of fun maneuvring, sliding, skidding, grunting, groaning in the dark with solid packs. The next day we worked our way out the valley a little wet and worn but very satisfied knowing we were packing the monarch of this valley home. The billy was aged at 13 1/2 years old with horn length of 10 7/8" and 10 1/8". If you like I can try and download some video! :wink:

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/Nov_10_2009_Billy4.JPG (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=16206&size=big&cat=recent&limit=recent)

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/Nov_10_2009_Billy3.JPG (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=16205&size=big&cat=recent&limit=recent)

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/Nov_10_2009_Billy1.JPG (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=16204&size=big&cat=recent&limit=recent)

Freshtracks
11-13-2009, 01:20 AM
Congrats ... that's a cranker billy for sure.

Gateholio
11-13-2009, 01:30 AM
BC Billies

ALWAYS enjoy your hunting stories, and this is no exception!

Well done and I bet Dustin is happy he dragged himself up that mountain!:mrgreen:

Buck
11-13-2009, 01:49 AM
That is a beauty lucky for the young guy to have you help him out

killman
11-13-2009, 02:03 AM
Very cool! Thanks for sharing your story and pics.

Stone Sheep Steve
11-13-2009, 04:39 AM
As Gate said your stories are always a pleasure to read. Never any photo safaries either:wink:.

Congrats on another awesome billy!!!:cool:

SSS

boxhitch
11-13-2009, 05:32 AM
Daandy story of a dandy goat, well done.

sawmill
11-13-2009, 05:34 AM
Man you friggen goat hunters are insane!Tried it a time or 2 up in Hazelton but I didn`t care for the 1000 foot drop if I slipped:mrgreen:Congrats on him,you sure earned it.

valleycowboy
11-13-2009, 05:40 AM
damn good story and one hell of a sweet goat!!!!
congrats to both of you.

6 K
11-13-2009, 05:56 AM
Glad you posted more than one pic for those who didn't get to handle it in person.
I'll tell you right now fellas, that first pic does not do the billy justice at all.
The next two are better but still lacking.
Actually, the last one is getting close.
I'll leave it to your imagination from there.
Congrats Dustin. Isn't that two for two B and C goats for you?
B.C. Billies should go into the guiding buisness.:-D

Your next b.c.b., or may be myself or tsw eh?:???:

leadpillproductions
11-13-2009, 06:03 AM
heck of a billy when do you want to take be out for one like that
heck ya on the video

bayou
11-13-2009, 06:45 AM
Congrats on a great billy and very nice pictures as well.

BiG Boar
11-13-2009, 06:58 AM
BCBillies, you are the most adventurous man on this site. I can't get enough of your stories. If I ever make it that far north I would like to meet you some day. Sounds like you've got so much mountain experience. Guess you got to love it! Good work, now enough of this childs play, go bag the monster you knew was out there all year!

Blainer
11-13-2009, 07:24 AM
What a great finish to a tough hunt that will last in the memory of your nephew for a lifetime.
These are the stories that are told for generations among family members.
Good on ya.

yama49
11-13-2009, 08:19 AM
awesome job boys, thx for sharing the pics and story. big congrats

ratherbefishin
11-13-2009, 08:20 AM
fanatastic story-and not the least was a trophy animal ended his life quickly-not falling or starving to death,the inevitable end in ''nature''.You did him a huge favour

Mtnhunter
11-13-2009, 08:32 AM
Great story and a great Goat! Congrats!

ydouask
11-13-2009, 08:39 AM
Your story and pictures had me right there with you. Thanks for the trip ! Reminds me of the time........

Bowtime
11-13-2009, 08:42 AM
great billy, probably will score somewhere between 50 1/2 and 51 1/2.

olharley guy
11-13-2009, 08:55 AM
Howdy, that is a real beauty!!! Later

BCBigGame
11-13-2009, 08:56 AM
Very nice, bring on the video.

ThinAir
11-13-2009, 08:56 AM
Good job buddy!

There are a few parts of your story that remind me of a trip we did a few years ago:-D....

One of theese days your gonna have to pull the trigger on a booner. You've packed out enough for everyone else!!

Great pics, great story, great memories.

luckynuts
11-13-2009, 09:01 AM
Man I'm so green with envy!:mrgreen::mrgreen: Great story and the pictures are amazing even if they don't show the true gigantic size! Yeah right! They work for me! Way to go BCB and a huge congrats to Dustin who stuck it out. Did I say I was Jealous! Damn nice goat! Way to go guys

W.

11-13-2009, 09:03 AM
Great billy!!

yukon john
11-13-2009, 09:14 AM
a skookum goat for sure thanks for the pics!!

kennyj
11-13-2009, 09:15 AM
Thats an awesome goat!Thanks for posting another exciting story.
kenny

11-13-2009, 09:34 AM
That Billy is a smoker ... a Dandy!

Congrats to both of you, great story and pics.
Thanks for sharing.

CT

budismyhorse
11-13-2009, 09:50 AM
Now that is called Gittin er done.

Way to push through the "feeling". That will likely go a LONG ways in Dustin's young hunting career.

congrats. that is a monster goat in my books.

Gus
11-13-2009, 09:55 AM
Hell of a goat BCB!! Great story and awsome pictures. Thanks for posting it up!

rifleman
11-13-2009, 10:33 AM
thats a beauty billy for sure. what a tough hunt. good on ya for not giving up. cudoos to you

Krico
11-13-2009, 11:16 AM
As usual, a smasher billy...

Great job and congrats!

Leave a couple big ones for the rest of us, ok?

PGK
11-13-2009, 12:04 PM
Awesome job!! You guys sure put the hurt on em out there! Way to get it done, post up some video!

whitetailsheds
11-13-2009, 12:33 PM
What a brute! That's what a big billy looks like eh? Great hunt boys, thanks for posting!

Rattler
11-13-2009, 01:14 PM
Great job connecting with that huge Billy. I too love hearing your goat stories.

Congrats.

BCbillies
11-13-2009, 01:19 PM
great billy, probably will score somewhere between 50 1/2 and 51 1/2.

I think you've seen a goat or two. Not very heavy on the horn and lacking some symmetry. Grossed him at 52 2/8 . . . nets at 51 2/8. I am guessing he will come in at 50 1/2.

Good job buddy!

There are a few parts of your story that remind me of a trip we did a few years ago:-D....

One of theese days your gonna have to pull the trigger on a booner. You've packed out enough for everyone else!!

Great pics, great story, great memories.

I figure I've got 10 good years left in me to get that 11" billy. :wink: Before this trip started it was bringing on the memories of the hunt of Nov 13, 2005. There was a lot of similarities to your hunt and this billy may have been a cousin of yours. I find it encouraging that many goats die of old age each year in relatively accessable areas! Keeps me going back each year.

ThinAir
11-13-2009, 01:24 PM
I think you've seen a goat or two. Not very heavy on the horn and lacking some symmetry. Grossed him at 52 2/8 . . . nets at 51 2/8. I am guessing he will come in at 50 1/2.

I figure I've got 10 good years left in me to get that 11" billy. :wink: Before this trip started it was bringing on the memories of the hunt of Nov 13, 2005. There was a lot of similarities to your hunt and this billy may have been a cousin of yours. I find it encouraging that many goats die of old age each year in relatively accessable areas! Keeps me going back each year.

I truly hope I'm the guy who helps you pack out your booner one day...

Kitimat Killer
11-13-2009, 02:19 PM
hey bcbillies way to go on that goat what a cranker thats for sure and again you show us how it's done i miss getting in the mnts chacing those big buggers

PGK
11-13-2009, 02:20 PM
You've already got claim to the best goat hunt video on the internet, bar none

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqfFk8YTAtY

Make more :biggrin:

ThinAir
11-13-2009, 03:04 PM
You've already got claim to the best goat hunt video on the internet, bar none

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqfFk8YTAtY

Make more :biggrin:

Ha Ha.. not very good since they yanked the sound!:-D

I guess you need permission to use good music?!:-D

BCrams
11-13-2009, 03:05 PM
Fantastic hunt BC!! You have a knack for getting into good goats and I enjoy reading an account each year.

SSS and I are 0 for 3 on the Skeena draws so far.

huntwriter
11-13-2009, 05:04 PM
Ha Ha.. not very good since they yanked the sound!:-D

I guess you need permission to use good music?!:-D

Yes you do need permission to use someones property and sometimes you have to pay royalty too.:wink:

pitbell
11-13-2009, 05:30 PM
Congrats on another giant. I think I can speak for everyone when I say your stories and pictures are awesome.

M.Dean
11-13-2009, 06:03 PM
Incredible story and photo's! They should name a Mountain Range after you!!! Congrats to you both!!!

SKYLINE
11-13-2009, 08:15 PM
Congrats on another cranker buddy!!! That is one awsome goat. Something tells me you won't have a problem getting your booner in the next ten years. Just hope I can help with the pack. There are a few of us that owe you one :mrgreen:

vortex hunter
11-13-2009, 08:25 PM
NICE BILLIE ...What do they taste like ?

steepNdeep
11-13-2009, 08:30 PM
Great hunt, story & goat!! ALMOST makes me want to go goat hunting... one day. 2 of my buds just left today... Congrats. :cool:

ARC
11-13-2009, 08:38 PM
Great billy! You sure are involved in the taking alot of nice goats

After chasing them around in the snow this year, I have alot more respect for the guys that can get it done in those conditions!

d6dan
11-13-2009, 08:42 PM
Beauty Goat!. They sure grow nice in that Region of BC. Nice & Heavy!. You guys definitley earn them. Congrats to you and your nephew..:)

TheDuckinator
11-13-2009, 09:08 PM
Thats a beaut, musta been hectic on the rocks!

Great job!

mntbowhunter
11-14-2009, 05:00 PM
Congrats beautiful goat

BCbillies
11-15-2009, 06:02 PM
Here are a few quick clips from the hunt. One day I will have to figure out how to edit and stitch them together. Not the best quality when viewed on youtube but better than nothing!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vP285Kjh8-4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5AXlshEr4k

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6woalkQk2o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HbYyGglyZ8w

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCUTLO0EfQc

It makes a hunt unique to actually harvest an animal that one either had prior knowledge of or had prescouted . . . has happened 3 times so far with goats! I look forward to one day taking photos of Dustin's goat and ThinAir's side by side on the wall. :-D

FORKHORN
11-15-2009, 06:07 PM
I clicked on several of the u tube links and it comes up as a private video?? I'd sure like to see them. Any ideas.

BCbillies
11-15-2009, 06:19 PM
I clicked on several of the u tube links and it comes up as a private video?? I'd sure like to see them. Any ideas.

It should be fixed now.

FORKHORN
11-15-2009, 06:33 PM
Awesome!!!! Thanks.

ThinAir
11-15-2009, 06:33 PM
Great footage BCB.

It feels like deja vu watching that!!

Nearly the exact spot, 13 year old billie, and almost 4 years to the day! It's almost freaky!

ROEBUCK
11-15-2009, 06:43 PM
hay bcbillies
had the pleasure to see your nephews goat at marty,s today its a beut ,huge goat, awesome!!!

BCbillies
11-15-2009, 06:45 PM
Nearly the exact spot, 13 year old billie, and almost 4 years to the day! It's almost freaky!

you missed the prior knowledge and the camera even gave me grief again! :wink: Didn't need the rope this time but we had 150' just in case.

PGK
11-15-2009, 07:20 PM
you missed the prior knowledge and the camera even gave me grief again! :wink: Didn't need the rope this time but we had 150' just in case.

:lol: You always need fu**in rope!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-zoxnWY3q0

Ambush
11-15-2009, 08:50 PM
Fantastic job guys!!! That old billy matched the country perfectly. Tough rugged and accessable to only those just as tough!!

Congratulations on another great trophy.

Rackmastr
11-15-2009, 09:01 PM
Awesome story and great billy!

riflebuilder
11-15-2009, 09:03 PM
That is a cranker goat, hopefully me and my son can find his brother next weekend

TSW
11-16-2009, 02:12 AM
this billy may have been a cousin of yours. .

:mrgreen: Just wanted to bring this line back for our enjoyment.

What can I say, BCB you definitely delivered on another cranker...I had to watch the video, but I still want to come up to your place, hopefully this week and see it in better resolution.

And by the way, a guy who passes up a goat like that and gives it to his nephew, who already has a booner on the wall might I add, (thanks to you) is a good man. I hope your goat is growing older, and fatter as I type this...I know I am!!

And ThinAir and Skyline--take a hike, I got dibbs on packin out BCB's booner!!

Donny Bear
11-16-2009, 05:22 AM
That is an awsome goat I think the best I have seen out side of a Magazine wow!!! Congrats on an awsome book goat Guys :mrgreen:

6 K
11-16-2009, 01:46 PM
ThinAir,Skyline,TSW you guys can play rock paper siscors or duke it out for his Booner Billy.
I have dibs on helping with his booner ram.:mrgreen:

P.S. any of you that want to pack my moose next year pm me,
I know this great little spot not too far back.
It's only about umm.................6k :twisted:

Rubberfist
11-16-2009, 02:02 PM
Thanks for sharing that experience and congrats on an amazing looking goat! We can all dream of bagging a beauty like that one!

ThinAir
11-16-2009, 03:42 PM
ThinAir,Skyline,TSW you guys can play rock paper siscors or duke it out for his Booner Billy.
I have dibs on helping with his booner ram.:mrgreen:

P.S. any of you that want to pack my moose next year pm me,
I know this great little spot not too far back.
It's only about umm.................6k :twisted:

I will never pack a moose 6km unless it's on my quad:mrgreen:

Goats or sheep yes.

srupp
11-16-2009, 05:10 PM
A great read..as usual...super photos and tremendous goats....as usual...

thers something about that foggy cold "misty" photos while goat hunting "hauntingly beautiful "

Very well done Gentlemen....

cheers
Steven