PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a bow

sugar
11-12-2009, 10:06 PM
Hi guys-

I am now in the market for a bow after spending some time with a mentor in my area following him while he bow hunts and learning as much as I can.

I would be happy to buy a used set up from someone trustworthy, I don't really want to buy one from the paper or the buy, sell and trade.

I also have been looking at new bows. I went to wholesale sports in Nanaimo and talked to Doug at the archery desk and he said currently the best bang for your buck is the PSE Brute LT (kit) for $650. I am just wondering what some of you pros on here recommend for a new guy who wants to get into a decent bow that won't need to be upgraded when I realize that this is the best kind of hunting.

I forgot to mention I have searched the forums and done extensive research online, just looking for some real human advice.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks, Adam

Foxtail
11-13-2009, 01:23 AM
Honestly, you're gonna need to pick up a few bows and see how they feel. Take a few shots with them. I wouldn't buy a used bow unless I had already shot it and it was already the right draw length and weight for me. Yes the brute is a decent bow and you probably wont have to upgrade... ever... but "have" and "want" are two different things. No matter what you get, there is always something faster, stronger, more accurate, better, newer... you know what I mean. There are some better deals out there, but pretty much any new bow these days is going to be more accurate then you or I ever will be. The high quality, less expensive lines like Bear, Martin, reflex, Mission, Browning, etc. have excellent value.

Also, the canadian dollar is pretty close to par with the american right now. The prices on bows accross the line is sometimes a couple hundred $ cheaper.

Bowzone_Mikey
11-13-2009, 07:36 AM
personally the Brute is not a terrible bow ...but it aint all that great either ...what you need to do is :
figure out your budget
go to every shop you possibly can
get properly fitted ...figure out what your draw lenth actuallly is (this will come into play later)
pick up each and every bow that you can afford (I say this because I screwed myself one day ... I fondled a bow way out my price range and fell in love ... I slept on the couch for the next week..in retrospect ...not a bad trade...TV , fridge .. oh dear what a punishment)
any reputable shop will let you test drive
most shops have a consignment rack alot of times there is last years bows on it ...
if there is a new old stock ie: a new last years model ... dont be afraid to make shop a reasonable offer to get it off their hands ...he wont let it go without making some cash on it
if you like a bow and you buy from a shop ...you would get free servicing (or at least discount ...if you buy online ...expect your local shop to charge an hour rate for servicing

most importantly ... Buy a bow that fits you .... and have fun with it
if you buy that dont fit you ... you will not shoot consistant and you will fight with it

Brew
11-13-2009, 07:48 AM
Hey Adam. PM me I may have an entire setup that might work for you.

Kudu
11-13-2009, 10:43 AM
The advice given is sound, try, try and try again - only buy what fits you - Buying without trying can only lead to heartache - the guy's that have given you good advice so far know what they are talking about - take it - it is free, and will serve you well in the long run.

Foxtail
11-13-2009, 10:43 AM
Also new bows are way more expensive because most of them come with a non transferable lifetime warranty. Used bows don't come with the warranty. The used bow is not cheaper because it is over used and worn out... it's just cheaper because of the warranty thing(most of the time).

Wild one
11-13-2009, 11:04 AM
In my opinion when you are looking for your first bow don't get rapped up in the I need the fastest bow crap many guys fall into. I would look for a bow that is a little forgiving as your form will not be there at the start. Pick a draw weight that is comfortable so you are not struggling with it. I have shot PSE bows for 14years and they have treated me well(I have not shot the other brands though) but I know guys who are happy with there bowtec's and Martins. I would look at the 3 brands I mentioned to start. I would not buy a used bow as you do not know how it has been looked after or why the guy is really selling it. In my opinion it is not the bow it is the man behind that makes the shot. As long as some one teaches you good form and you take the time to practice (not just fling arrows but true practice) you should do fine. Go to a good bow shop and look at what is available to you in your price range. I don't know the shops on the island so I can not help you there.

Good luck

4570hunter
11-13-2009, 06:33 PM
here is my 2 cents try everything you can and buy the best bow your money can afford. Bow hunting is like Fly fishing. Cause you can buy any kind of rod but once you get hooked you want quality stuff. So now I just buy top of the line quality stuff. Why cause even if I hate it or wish to quit I can sell my stuff at a reasonable loss if I buy junk I can't sell it period. I used top of the line. I have sage rods and Mathews Bows. I can still sell them and get new ones fairly quickly. Try every Mathews bow you can find and you won't be disappointed. Check out Bowsite.com most people have used bows from Mathews going to $500- $1000.
Make sure you know your draw length and have fun. I shot a nice elk this year and been bow hunting for 17 years now.

Good Luck

stixnstones
11-13-2009, 06:51 PM
my buddy has a very nice mathews swtchback xt bow.he upgraded does not need two.pm me n i can get the rest of the info if interested.

Evolution
11-13-2009, 07:04 PM
I have a copy of that particular PSE bow youre looking at, I wouldnt have a problem letting you shoot it a bit if you wanna see what its going to be like after using it for a few months. Ive killed 2 deer and several grouse with it, I bought it at the end of August. I like it, but Im definately going to be "wanting" something a little higher end for next year, whether I get it or not is another question. I live in Merville if you wanna drive up to try it out send me an email.

hoyt
11-13-2009, 10:18 PM
All great advice on here for ya. Just go to the shops and hold as many as you can, some will certainly feel better than others.
As for brands, well, i am a fan of Mathews, Martin, PSE and of course Hoyt, all are great but you do need a fit that only comes from trying them out.
Ask as many questions as you have, don't feel silly, they all will be genuine, and if they want your business, they will be happy to answer them all! Just remember, they will be more willing to push their own line they deal in mainly, so again, go to more than one shop.
Once you find your match, you will never look back

Kudu
11-15-2009, 02:43 PM
here is my 2 cents try everything you can and buy the best bow your money can afford. Bow hunting is like Fly fishing. Cause you can buy any kind of rod but once you get hooked you want quality stuff. So now I just buy top of the line quality stuff. Why cause even if I hate it or wish to quit I can sell my stuff at a reasonable loss if I buy junk I can't sell it period. I used top of the line. I have sage rods and Mathews Bows. I can still sell them and get new ones fairly quickly. Try every Mathews bow you can find and you won't be disappointed. Check out Bowsite.com most people have used bows from Mathews going to $500- $1000.
Make sure you know your draw length and have fun. I shot a nice elk this year and been bow hunting for 17 years now.

Good Luck

What you say is true - We have a saying - "Good Koop is duur koop" buying cheap is expensive.

I agree with your sentiments 4570hunter about fly fishing kit - once you have fished with a quality Sage, Orvis, Scott, St Croix or Loomis - you simply find fault in everything else.

I shoot a PSE Bow - yes it is the "X bow" and it is as fast as hell, a great bow - it does what it says on the can - it shoots fast and accurate. My bow of choice for any animal in North America.

I also have an Elite GT 500 - 90 lb bow, It also does, what it says on the can - it puts Cape Buffalo's on their arses. My bow of choice for any Animal in Southern Africa that I might hunt.

For me it is horses for courses, when choosing a bow, buy right first time, it may cost a little more - but next season you most likely will not be looking for an upgrade.

Try as many bows as you can lay your hands on, Go down to your closest Archery dealer and try their bows - go to Cabelas if need be in Seattle - they have stax of bows to try - and stacks of nice goodies to buy as well - :mrgreen:

jonz
11-16-2009, 06:45 PM
I bought a Mathews Mission Eliminator fully set up for hunting this year as my 1st bow. Just google reviews of any bow you are interested in there's usually a lot of good info out there.

The Hermit
11-17-2009, 11:08 AM
I'll put in a plug for traditional bows too! Don't overlook a good traditional bow. They are simple with virtually no maintenance, way lighter, and totally wicked at 20 yards.

sugar
11-17-2009, 07:59 PM
Thanks for all the help guys.

I was really excited to try and make this bow happen this season so I could fill one of my deer tags by bow, but after reading the reply's have decided that I will take my time and not rush into anything too fast. I will get a feel for as many different bows that I can and hopefully end up buying something versatile and of good quality.

I have been doing some more talking to guys around here and one fella has told me I should try and order a Reflex Caribou by Hoyt, that it isn't necessarily the fastest bow around but is a good finger and a great release bow. Does anyone have experience with this bow and/or know where a guy can find one? I have seen one online (US) for $514, but the company won't mail order it for some reason.

Thanks again,

Adam

Bowzone_Mikey
11-18-2009, 06:05 PM
I have shot it (reflex) albeit a few years ago so they might have changed ... its ok for a box store bow but If memory serves me correctly ... the reflex brand is poorly put together ... cheaper components went into the bow ... like plastic bushings non sealed bearings and I beleive the limb pockets are weaker (made of poly instead of the Hoyt line of aluminum) ... at the end of the day you would be better off spending a bit more for a bow that you wont have stuff faill often on

I am not saying that its not unheard of for bushings, bearings etc to fail on the True Hoyts but its a whole lot less common than the Reflex line

Bow Walker
11-18-2009, 07:06 PM
Mike - you're showing your age now...:tongue: :twisted: :wink:

Reflex has come a long way in the quality department. Not a bad deal, providing it is one of the newer ones and is in good condition. :-D

4570hunter
11-19-2009, 12:20 AM
I have had friends shoot Hoyt's before the problem with them in general is
1 their expensive
2 Service and tuning can be a pain with their Cam and half technology
3 not the quietest things around
4 durability I kick the crap out of my bow and never had a fail. but my friends Hoyt bow fell apart on the back of an ATV and he was done for the hunt.
5 The service is OK not like other manufacturers that replace parts no questions asked.

My 2 cents but Hoyt was built as a competition bow that is what their technology is about. They have some really great bows for indoor shooting at places like Vegas.

This is your first bow, so it could fall from a bench or get whacked by a tree or bush, smack into a tree trunk going up tow line into a tree stand.
Everybody has done it even the most careful bow hunters run through bush for elk and stuff gets caught or banged a little. You want a workhorse bow that will not fail. Get proven reliable bow that can take punishment cause pretty ain't gonna matter when it comes right down to it. Choose Gear and understand gear so you can fix in the bush or by two of the same. Trust me it happens to all of us get in the bush hit a tree branch and the hunt is over. Technology is great but make sure it is explained to you how it works, adjusts and if need be fixed and if so what parts do I need. Spare stings, releases, light pins, tools etc.

Good luck.

Bowzone_Mikey
11-20-2009, 02:42 PM
I have had friends shoot Hoyt's before the problem with them in general is
1 their expensive
2 Service and tuning can be a pain with their Cam and half technology
3 not the quietest things around
4 durability I kick the crap out of my bow and never had a fail. but my friends Hoyt bow fell apart on the back of an ATV and he was done for the hunt.
5 The service is OK not like other manufacturers that replace parts no questions asked.

My 2 cents but Hoyt was built as a competition bow that is what their technology is about. They have some really great bows for indoor shooting at places like Vegas.

This is your first bow, so it could fall from a bench or get whacked by a tree or bush, smack into a tree trunk going up tow line into a tree stand.
Everybody has done it even the most careful bow hunters run through bush for elk and stuff gets caught or banged a little. You want a workhorse bow that will not fail. Get proven reliable bow that can take punishment cause pretty ain't gonna matter when it comes right down to it. Choose Gear and understand gear so you can fix in the bush or by two of the same. Trust me it happens to all of us get in the bush hit a tree branch and the hunt is over. Technology is great but make sure it is explained to you how it works, adjusts and if need be fixed and if so what parts do I need. Spare stings, releases, light pins, tools etc.

Good luck.

really!?!?!! ... My exp with hoyt is second to none ... I shot them Exclusivly untill 2008 most every model at least once ...
the Hoyts I owned and shot regularly were Super tec, Pro Tec, Trykon
Ultra Elite and Katera
the only issue I ever had was on my Super tec my limbs started to de-laminate ... 3 weeks later I had new limbs in my hand
and Honestly the cam and half tuning ...couldnt be any easier ... its one of the easiest systems on market to tune ...one just needs to have the understanding of basic mechanics ie: if I twist this ... this is what happens ....most people that dont understand the hoyt systems ... cant think more than 1 step ahead

sugar
11-20-2009, 07:56 PM
Where is the best place to buy a hoyt? What about in the US?

Bowzone_Mikey
11-21-2009, 11:01 AM
the best place to buy a Hoyt is the dealer for sure
I see you are in Parksville ...
Buckys in Duncan is listed as a Hoyt dealer
specailty in Langley
boormans in new west

several other dealers in BC and Alberta

http://www.hoyt.com/dealer_locator/

in the states there is several as well ...I think there is like 12 in Wash state .... best part ... no bullcrap at the border like with firearms ....

sugar
11-21-2009, 12:04 PM
I'm looking at the Hoyt Vantage or Contender as per the reccomendation of the guy I know here who knows quite a bit (he shot for hoyt for a while). With this bow I can shoot either release or fingers and the longer the bow the more stable I have been told.

They range from 1200-1400 here in Canada and are about $300-$400 less south of the line.

It that savings worth it or is it better to have a local shop where I can go to for service ect...?

Thanks!

Bowzone_Mikey
11-21-2009, 01:13 PM
any hoyt dealer will service it if need be ... if it wont cost you 400 bucks to cross the straight and fuel hotel etc .. to get it across the line then go across ...

How often are you gonna need it serviced ...do you think you can learn to restring it and tune it yourself? etc... then it would be worth it to get it down south in my opinion....

the Vantage is a sweet bow ... I would agree the longer axel to axel makes for a more stable platform to shoot from ... that was one of the design ideas of the parralle limb bows to stick the axels out to where the string would intersect on a more trad style bow at rest anyway .... the longer A2A would be nice for a finger shooter as there wont be any nock pinch like a shorter bow

stixnstones
11-21-2009, 01:25 PM
hey you found a bow yet.my buddy wants to know if your still interested in his mathews switchback xt.

jaywill
11-21-2009, 01:29 PM
dont mean to hijack a thread but, does anyone know if the Hoyt fast flight is a decent bow? I won one on ebay for 120 bucks, i figured its a hoyt may as well take a chance for that price. from what I can tell its one of hoyts earlier entry level bows.

Bowzone_Mikey
11-21-2009, 01:38 PM
the Fast flight is not a model of Hoyt but rather an availible package of most every bow Hoyt offered in the mid/late 90s it consisted of faster Cams and Laminated Glass limbs (predacesors to their lam limbs of today)

My first ever bow I shot was a "Super Slam" fast flight ... it was a top dog of its day

jaywill
11-21-2009, 03:37 PM
I see , thx. cant wait til it comes in , i was wondering why I couldn't find a fast flight model on the net. I'm planning on practicing with this bow and maybe next year get fitted with a good(er) bow from the buckhorn shop .

sugar
11-22-2009, 09:45 PM
Ok, Hoyt Vantage LTD or Vantage Pro??

Also its time to start looking at accessories, planing for the future loss of my good credit....:???:

I have been doing some reading ect... and seem to like the octane stuff-
NXS sight, Octane 2 piece quiver, tru-fire 360 release and octane hostage rest.

What do you think about this stuff? Am I just paying for the name, is there a better "bang for my buck" out there?

Thanks!

Bowzone_Mikey
11-22-2009, 10:55 PM
Ok, Hoyt Vantage LTD or Vantage Pro??

Also its time to start looking at accessories, planing for the future loss of my good credit....:???:

I have been doing some reading ect... and seem to like the octane stuff-
NXS sight, Octane 2 piece quiver, tru-fire 360 release and octane hostage rest.

What do you think about this stuff? Am I just paying for the name, is there a better "bang for my buck" out there?

Thanks!

dont waste your time on the hostage .... you will spend more time changing the brushes than you will shooting .... I got about 100 shots out of one before I had to change brushes ....have heard this from a few shops I know as well

sugar
12-01-2009, 10:35 PM
So I have it figured out now. I am going to get a Hoyt Vantage with cam & 1/2 from a great place called Archery World in Vancouver, WA. They were the only dealer I found in BC, AB and WA who knew what bows I was talking about without having to look stuff up and who also knew prices. Great service and knowledgeable people there.

As for the other stuff I'll get a NAS Quick Tune 750 (shoots both fingers and release) and am looking into a trophy ridge micro hit man 7.

Can't wait to get shooting......

Bowzone_Mikey
12-02-2009, 06:46 PM
So I have it figured out now. I am going to get a Hoyt Vantage with cam & 1/2 from a great place called Archery World in Vancouver, WA. They were the only dealer I found in BC, AB and WA who knew what bows I was talking about without having to look stuff up and who also knew prices. Great service and knowledgeable people there.

As for the other stuff I'll get a NAS Quick Tune 750 (shoots both fingers and release) and am looking into a trophy ridge micro hit man 7.

Can't wait to get shooting......

that is a sick set up ...congrats ....

Bow Walker
12-02-2009, 06:58 PM
Now I'm geting definitely jealous!

MikeH
12-04-2009, 11:37 PM
Sweet bow, I'm thinking about a Hoyt for my next bow. I want to check a APA also.