PDA

View Full Version : self defence for your dog?

Fixit
11-12-2009, 09:40 PM
so its a no brainer for me if i was charged/jumped by a (bear, cougar, yeti etc)
...animal would be shot to save myself from injury/harm and then reported.

but what about if your dog was being mauled by a wild animal?

would one be justified in shooting a wild animal to protect your dog? or does SSS apply?

what are your thoughts on this

KB90
11-12-2009, 09:44 PM
I would kill the animal in a second. My dog is a part of my family and would act no different than if it was attacking a human.

Bow Walker
11-12-2009, 09:45 PM
X 2 on what Kyle states.

Wouldn't even hesitate.

Johnny G1
11-12-2009, 09:46 PM
I would kill the animal in a second. My dog is a part of my family and would act no different than if it was attacking a human. X2 in a heart beat.

killman
11-12-2009, 09:49 PM
What if it was your neighbors dog being attacked/mauled?:mrgreen:

KB90
11-12-2009, 09:51 PM
What if it was your neighbors dog being attacked/mauled?:mrgreen:

Depends which neighbor :mrgreen:

mark
11-12-2009, 10:03 PM
I would kill the animal in a second. My dog is a part of my family and would act no different than if it was attacking a human.

X3 no hesitation, my wife would kill me if I didnt!

Depends which neighbor :mrgreen:

Same here! :-D

Devilbear
11-12-2009, 10:24 PM
I always have purebred, very fine Rottweilers, my little 21 mo. old bitch just received her Canadian championship at the Tradex show last week. I also just bought a really fine male, 24 mos. and a total cuddle puppy....takes the center of the bed.

I love these dogs more than guns, hunting or anything else and would never hesitate to kill WHATEVER threatened to hurt them, period.

yukon john
11-12-2009, 10:53 PM
defense of property.... kill em

landphil
11-12-2009, 11:09 PM
Self defence/dog defence usually mean the same thing - most often even a big, tough doggie will end up running back to you bringing the predator with it. If a clean shot is possible, let 'er rip.

huntwriter
11-12-2009, 11:20 PM
My dog is part of my family and property. The wild animal that attacks any of my family or property dies.

mark
11-13-2009, 09:00 AM
To add to this, Id have a real tough time not killing any person trying to kill my dog!!!

martyonthewater
11-13-2009, 09:07 AM
the critter would die, period.

LOC
11-13-2009, 09:13 AM
Same as others have said, no question - if something is after my dog, I'd be shooting.

Iron Glove
11-13-2009, 09:43 AM
I usually pack a rifle when we walk the dog in the woods and would not hesitate to shoot any animal that attacked her. It is kinda funny tho' to see her acting tough around some doe and then high tailing it back with her tail between her legs when the doe has had enough. :tongue:

Our neighbour's dog was cornered by a very angry doe in the woods behind our place and our neighbour ran into her house, grabbed a rifle, grabbed my daughter and zoomed off on the ATV to "Kill that effing deer".
She was going to shoot the deer, ignoring that my son-in-law and his pal were on either side of the deer chasing it away at the time. Shells flying everywhere as she tried to load the rifle, apparantly it was a pretty ugly scene. There is a lot more to this story but I'm sworn to secrecy. :icon_frow

Fixit
11-13-2009, 01:32 PM
I agree 100% with you guys, most dogs are family and would be protected as such...
I was curious what a CO's point of view would be. Legally are we allowed to protect our furry family or would we get fined etc

Fido
11-13-2009, 01:43 PM
bye bye critter I think most animal lovers would do the same thing.

britman101
11-13-2009, 07:08 PM
Read with interest some of the posts. I think it really depends on the context of the situation. For instance, if I had a rifle and my dog was being attacked by a coyote or cougar, sure I would take the animal down. However, when hunting with the dog, how about you run into a porcupine or skunk. This is a scenario more likely to happen. Are you going to shoot the animal in a fit of rage. For instance, in my case I was hunting pheasants with my brittany in Alberta and he went on point by some thickets. Acted kind of funny in his mannerisms, and as I am walking up to him, he starts edging up and then trying to mouth whatever is in front of him. Well before you know it I hear the whining and screaming and see the dog's face and chest covered with quills. I was pissed, and I wanted to go in there and dust off that porcupine, but I figured 1). the dog needed medical attention right away, and 2). really not the porcupine's fault as we stumbled on to him. So gathered up the dog and let the quill thrower go on his way. Within the hour, got to vet's office and after a few hours my wallet was $ 250 lighter and the dog was sore and hopefully wiser. Self defence it really depends on the situation.

sparkes3
11-13-2009, 07:12 PM
the animal would not even get the chance for a heart to beat it would dead .my dog is a PART OF ME and i would rather explain to my kids why i was hurt instead of trying to tell them what happened to our new dog sarg(sargent sniffer to them).it was hell when i had to put our last dog (taz) down but when i told my 3 and 5 year old sons that he was not coming home from the vet it ripped me up in a way i wil never forget

skibum
11-14-2009, 12:05 PM
I have been wondered about this - I hike a lot with the 10/22 picking off the odd grouse. What if bear was on your dog, would you dump the 10 rounds with a .22 in the bear (an average size bear)

I do carry bear spray

steelheadSABO
11-14-2009, 12:09 PM
that would be one sorry animal

BigBanger
11-14-2009, 12:40 PM
I have been wondered about this - I hike a lot with the 10/22 picking off the odd grouse. What if bear was on your dog, would you dump the 10 rounds with a .22 in the bear (an average size bear)
I do carry bear spray

I think I would. I love my dogs.

jessonml
11-14-2009, 12:53 PM
I think I would shoot quicker for my dog's sake than for my sake. I love my dog.

Camp Cook
11-23-2009, 02:21 PM
I understand the feelings/comments myself I wouldn't hesitate to defend my dog and there were many times that she alerted me to wild animals and stood her ground between me a few bears.

I miss her she has been gone for 5 weeks now...

moosetaken
11-27-2009, 04:29 PM
I can't imagine any dog owner even hesitating to jump in with whatever is at hand to save their dog. There has been a lot of comments about the dog being part of "my family" I would like to add that my dogs are the in the part of my family that I like best. They never borrow money and forget to pay it back, clean out my fridge or liquer cabinet, have never wrecked one of my vehicles. If two animals attacked my dog and certain family members of mine I'd save the dog first!
:)

wolverine
11-27-2009, 04:57 PM
Yup, a complete no brainer. I'd do whatever it took to save the dogs. Someone wants to charge me... sobeit. Oh, and yes, any dog as long as it isn't vicious and started the attack.

sparkes3
11-27-2009, 08:59 PM
dump em in the bears head he will get the message

WaterSkeeter
11-27-2009, 10:03 PM
I wouldnt think twice, anything thing that attacks my dog will be sorry it ever did so.

5 spike
11-28-2009, 06:17 AM
my dog would protect my family. i would do the same for her.

Iron Glove
11-28-2009, 07:06 PM
Yup, my dog comes first.
I keep telling the wife that if I had it to do all over again we would've had more dogs and less kids. :)