PDA

View Full Version : where to buy racoon traps

blackford
11-12-2009, 09:06 PM
Well here goes....

I have a racoon problem at my house. I live in the city of Vancouver and dont really want to start plinking them with my 22.

So i am wondering if anyone knows a place that i can live trap a racoon or if they have a trap i can borrow.

These guys are knocking over the garbage and trying to paw in the doors to get inside.

anyhelp is appreciated

dougan
11-12-2009, 09:18 PM
make one they are easy to make box style live trap outa ply wood a coat hanger and two bungie chords

boxhitch
11-12-2009, 09:22 PM
The traps are available at some retailers.
But most important, do you have a plan for dealing with the 'coon after he is caught ? Maybe keep this to yourself.
Might want to call an ADC service company

dougan
11-12-2009, 09:24 PM
they are grummpy as hell i allways had to let them out so the neighbours didnt crap over all the growling at 2 am!!!!

11-12-2009, 09:24 PM
Home Depot carries Havaharts in a couple of sizes,Lee Valley tools used to have them also.If only all your neighbors were hunters,,,,

Big Lew
11-12-2009, 09:28 PM
Get in touch with your local animal humane society or conservation officer, or possibly someone at city hall can steer you to a municipal department. Sometimes they will let you borrow a trap providing you have a viable place to re-locate them. I had a humane trap, but gave it away. They work quite well as long as you thoroughly wash any scent off them from a previous catch. (animals that are scared leave that scent behind) Remember, don't try to handle them without heavy gloves as they can bite worse than a dog, and they might have rabies.

Pete
11-12-2009, 09:32 PM
By the time you buy a trap and go through the efforts it would be cheaper to hire a professional to do this. It is illegal to transport wildlife without a permit as well you may want to put some thought in to the fact that discharging a firearm in Vancouver may cause you some very serious grief.

Ruger4
11-12-2009, 09:53 PM
princess auto just had a sale on them :wink:

Big Lew
11-12-2009, 10:41 PM
By the time you buy a trap and go through the efforts it would be cheaper to hire a professional to do this. It is illegal to transport wildlife without a permit as well you may want to put some thought in to the fact that discharging a firearm in Vancouver may cause you some very serious grief.
The transport issue is why I suggest talking to the local officals (CO is best), that's the way I chose, and had no problem .

boxhitch
11-12-2009, 11:23 PM
.......Sometimes they will let you borrow a trap providing you have a viable place to re-locate them.....Did the CO point you towarda viable location and issue a permit of some sort ?

hunter1947
11-13-2009, 05:08 AM
Most feed store will carry them ,buckerfields etc.

sawmill
11-13-2009, 05:27 AM
Use a locking snare on an inclined 2x4 with bait at the top.Check the snares before daylight though or your neibours will shit.

11-13-2009, 08:31 AM
once traped try racoon scuba.

Barracuda
11-13-2009, 10:04 AM
Princess auto had them on sale a while back.
There is a warm fuzzy feeling one gets after dealing with vermin . :mrgreen: