PDA

View Full Version : How does it change so quick...

4point&over
11-12-2009, 05:51 PM
Just got back from my big buck trip and man was it a tough go. Lots of walking with little results, did even see bolting asses There was (5) of us in camp, there for over a week with very little deer activity. Some of our friends were there a week and a half before us and lost count of the does by 10am and the most deer any of us saw in a whole day was (5). We were up around the Bonaparte area, and have been hunting there for years and usually see lots. Any word on why it would dry up so fast? Doesn't even seem like the deer were in rut yet.

By the way, thanks for all the recommendations on the pack choices, I picked up a Badlands ultra day pack and it was worth it's weight in gold.

buk1830
11-12-2009, 05:58 PM
I have hunted for many years in the bonaparte area. I find the deer migrate out of the area and towards Kamloops/little fort in mid october.

hillclimber
11-12-2009, 07:09 PM
i'd say they go the other way. just talked to my dad and he's near clinton. seen lots of spikes but no 4's. also seen 11 whitey does in a field

doubled
11-12-2009, 10:25 PM
They move into Gorman Lake and Darfield as well.

jjensen20
11-13-2009, 01:49 PM
Any word on why it would dry up so fast? Doesn't even seem like the deer were in rut yet.

Funny you should post this. Our hunting group just had the EXACT same thing happen this past week. A spot where we usually see 100 deer a day and some dandy bucks!

5 solid days of hunting with 4 bucks - 1 legal and maybe 10 does?

We are still scratching our heads as to where the deer went?

deerstocker
11-13-2009, 02:20 PM
most winter along the frasser river

4point&over
11-13-2009, 02:25 PM
Yeah jensen20, I just spoke to my dad who stayed up until today and he didn't see another deer after I left. don't know why it would be so different with the warm weather you'd think that the deer would still be hanging out before moving closer to the river. Maybe I will go back up early December to try and find a big boy in the snow.

4 point
11-13-2009, 02:45 PM
The "Bonaparte area" is a big area and incompasses lots of game and game movements to different winter range. So without knowing even roughly where you guys were hunting it's hard to say what may have been going on. Can you give us some idea of where you were?

jjensen20
11-13-2009, 03:37 PM
IMO snow hit earlier and harder this year than in the last few years, causing the deer to move earlier, any tracks we saw were lower and heading down. Im gonna head back towards the end of the month and hopefully find a "tired" buck high up in the snow!

venison4me
11-13-2009, 06:46 PM
yup same thing happend to me this year.....getting pretty hungry!

dutchie
11-13-2009, 10:27 PM
well with Region 5 being shut show 3-31 is getting huge pressure.

I was up there for Nov. 1 and I got my doe but there was no sign of bucks anywere.

There was a Coratian gathering of 24 hunters and they were there for a week and only 2 of them saw a buck (in the same truck). First day and it was a spiker.

Dutchie

cainer
11-13-2009, 11:19 PM
Everyone knows all the deer winter in Pemberton.:mrgreen: Just ask Gatehouse

Ghost Stalker
11-14-2009, 04:43 AM
used to own a badlands pack. awsome pack for the money and best warranty i've come across yet, and cabelas sells it so they are always good with returns. badlands has an incredible warranty......

The Legendary Badlands Unconditional Warranty

We don't care what happened, or whose fault it was, we will fix it for free forever. We could care less if you bought it at a garage sale or a gear swap, as long as it says Badlands on the pack it's covered. All we ask is that you use and abuse your pack as much as possible so we can learn how to make better products.

Warranty Procedures

1. Call us to get an RA# @ 801-978-2207 Do not send in your pack without one.

2. Pack's must be clean and free of Blood and Any other Mysterious substances.

3. Mark all areas that need to be repaired also enclose a letter with your name, RA# and shipping info and what needs to be repaired.

4. We'll let you know approximatly how long it will take

5. Please enclose a Check or Credit Card Number for Return Shipping.

Here's Our Address:
Badlands Backpacks
753 W 1700 S
Salt Lake City, UT 84104

6. Well fix your pack and send it back. You'll be hunting and telling your friends about Badlands.

check it out.. http://www.badlandspacks.com/our_warranty.php

packs are great for day packs or semi-heavy(90lbs) but they dont hold up to real heavy backcountry backpacking, but unreal for day packs. i had a 2200 and went for my 9 day sheep hunt. 90lbs in my pack. broke the main buckle within the first 3hrs and blew out both shoulder staps packing out my ram(130lbs)in pack.pack was great but not enough for my hunting style. too hard on gear i guess. now i use a Tatonka pack. have put 140lbs in it and yet to tear a stitch. 2 years in and it is holding stong. only thing is there are not enough pockets.

hunter1947
11-14-2009, 07:54 AM
Maybe the weather played a big part on why you did not see much ,if you head back at around the same time next year will be interesting to see how you will do ??:rolleyes:??.

Little Hawk
11-14-2009, 08:09 AM
Nope, you guy's are ALL WRONG!

This time of year - during the rut - the doe's head into town to blow a few bucks!