PDA

View Full Version : Who is the BC Gov't and MOE representing more?

BCrams
11-12-2009, 02:45 PM
I'm on a poll binge because I'm going deer hunting. :-D

Anyways, given the recent issues brought up in recent posts regarding the GOABC.

Who do the hbc folks feel the BC Gov't and MOE are representing more?

Catering more to the GOABC and non-residents or to the resident hunter?

ROEBUCK
11-12-2009, 02:56 PM
the goabc shout louder for there members than the lazy bcwf do for theres.and they get heard!
the non residents just want to experiance canadian hunting so we should not blame them, perhaps the bcwf need a reshuffle there old fashion and out dated and i cant imagine the gov taking them seriously.

BCrams
11-12-2009, 02:59 PM
Interesting sentiment roebuck.

The GOABC is definatly really well organized and well funded and more so in part due to the Non-Resident Preservation Fund.

I find it very ironic the GOABC is hosting a moose conference of sorts in Victoria (of all places - but where key politicians and MOE staff work) and conincidentally, the GOABC in their Economic Viability Report, are pushing to do away with such seasons such as the spike / fork season.

moosinaround
11-12-2009, 03:23 PM
It is hard to come back from a losing score! GOABC are, and have been organized for a while. They are protecting their business's. The pie is getting smaller in terms of our resourses, be it forestry, mining, fish wildlife. Other user groups are getting more educated, and are rallying their resourses and allies to make a stab at getting control over important management decisions. Political hell yah, not exactly the proper way to do things, hell yah, but it is the way the Govt works. Squeaky wheel gets the grease?? Moosin

Chuck
11-12-2009, 03:38 PM
I never thought that the day would come when the provincial government would ever even conceive of selling our waterways and streams to private developers. What a totally stupid idea! Now, knowing that they would, I feel that the provincial government is capable of doing anything that their "think tank" can come up with. This is not because they are criminally insane though, so don't get me wrong. It's all about MONEY!

BCrams
11-12-2009, 03:39 PM
It's all about MONEY!

Speaking of money ..... I'd love to see an audit of the expenses the GOABC have of their funds from the Non Resident Preservation Fund and where every penny goes.

Chuck
11-12-2009, 03:44 PM
General Revenues?????????????

d6dan
11-12-2009, 04:25 PM
I never thought that the day would come when the provincial government would ever even conceive of selling our waterways and streams to private developers. What a totally stupid idea! Now, knowing that they would, I feel that the provincial government is capable of doing anything that their "think tank" can come up with. This is not because they are criminally insane though, so don't get me wrong. It's all about MONEY!

Just remember what they want to do with "OUR" parks..you know, big lodges and contract it out. So they will represent the ones with the most MONEY.

PGK
11-12-2009, 04:29 PM
The government had best be acting in the best interest of the RESOURCE, and not either "camp"

You missed an option in your poll, BUDDAY.

What's your next paper on Jesse? Puppy making?

Devilbear
11-12-2009, 05:20 PM
To do that, it is necessary to have INDEPENDENT staff who KNOW what they are talking about and are not afraid to lose their jobs, thus homes and perhaps families, if they speak out in opposition to the "policy" set by those in "favour" with the adminstration.

This has NEVER happened in B.C., seldom in Canada and is not likely to begin any time soon.

Chuck
11-12-2009, 05:27 PM
[QUOTE=PGK;551455]The government had best be acting in the best interest of the RESOURCE, and not either "camp"

I agree with that absolutely! And so they should, because that's what they are there for in the first place.

BUT....

moosinaround
11-12-2009, 05:53 PM
There are teeth, and accountability. RPF's, RP bios, PEng, professional associations which are "supposed" to have a code of ethics and manage the public resources for the good of the resource!! As was stated in an earlier post, who is willing to risk their livelyhood for the good of the resources?? Maybe some resource managers are streeechiiing the ethical boundaries a tad?? In the name of securing jobs for British Columbians?? Or in the name of padding their retirement funds??? I dont know but there are some problems!

silvicon
11-12-2009, 06:24 PM
so we have another silly attack on the GO's.
please read the LEH report posted elswhere on this forum.
the GO's get a small fraction that goes to resident hunters.
IF the gov. favours one group, it is the indians.
THEY have no alloted season, baglimit, accountability....; you name it.
WE (resident AND GO's) are held accountable and have to pay for the privilage of hunting.
my experience is that there are enough hunting opportunities for us resident hunters.
if one can not fill his/her tag it is not the go's fault.
look at the nearest reserve and the many wolve tracks in the bush!

PGK
11-12-2009, 06:41 PM
so we have another silly attack on the GO's.
please read the LEH report posted elswhere on this forum.
the GO's get a small fraction that goes to resident hunters.
WE (resident AND GO's) are held accountable and have to pay for the privilage of hunting.
my experience is that there are enough hunting opportunities for us resident hunters.
if one can not fill his/her tag it is not the go's fault.
look at the nearest reserve and the many wolve tracks in the bush!

You sure are a great spokesman for the GOABC. Keep talking. You're really helping the situation by being .

I'm glad you acknowledge guided hunting is a privelege. You messed up one part though, resident hunting opportunity is a right.

Devilbear
11-12-2009, 06:54 PM
Wow, I surely do NOT agree with "silvicon"'s opinions on GO issues, but, calling another poster a ...racist pig... is FAR beyond what I consider acceptable behaviour here. He did NOT make ANY "racist" comments in his post and the government DOES favour the Indians in allocation policies.

Deadshot
11-12-2009, 07:01 PM

No point in the GO's messin with the FN's then, might as well go at the residents eh?
And since when did the GO's pay for the privilege of hunting?

bridger
11-12-2009, 11:12 PM
the goabc shout louder for there members than the lazy bcwf do for theres.and they get heard!
the non residents just want to experiance canadian hunting so we should not blame them, perhaps the bcwf need a reshuffle there old fashion and out dated and i cant imagine the gov taking them seriously.

that is why the bcwf resident angler and hunter preservation fund was organized. the idea behind the fund was to represent resident hunters and anglers in a manner similair to the goabc's representation of non residents. It takes money to get into this game and dedication. the dedication is there and if we all contribute to the fund great things can be accomplished.

huntwriter
11-12-2009, 11:30 PM
Keep talking. You're really helping the situation by being a racist pig.

What silvicon said about natives having first consideration, no bag and season limits is true and not in any way racist.

PGK
11-12-2009, 11:38 PM
What silvicon said about natives having first consideration, no bag and season limits is true and not in any way racist.

Why don't you stick to talking about bass and rat deer. This is a big boy conversation :roll:

Devilbear
11-13-2009, 07:50 AM
There is no question that the GOs and the huge foreign, especially American, influence in Victoria, is having a major detrimental effect on our hunting-fishing rights and is getting worse. The question is, IMO, just what we should do about this and I see relatively little commentary on that here on Hbc.

I seriously doubt that the BCWF or any other resident's group will EVER be able to command the level of funding that the GOABC does/can, due to their mandatory "fees" collected by individual GOs to "preserve" non-res. hunting and slaughter of OUR game. So, they will probably always have the edge in financial terms and thus in lobbying the MOE boffins.

However, the advantage WE have, is in numbers and, IF, "letters to the editor" were to FLOOD every newspaper in BC, for MONTHS, the politicians WOULD most assuredly take notice and realize that they must act in OUR favour. If, we DEMAND a total BAN on non-Canadians hunting here in B.C. and yet favour allowing access for our fellow Canucks, this will allow a domestic GO industry to thrive and also retain OUR game for OUR use....bye, bye, 5000+ foreign hunters taking what is OUR heritage and also the foreign investment/control over the BC GO industry.

Write these letters, demand an END to "non-resident alien" hunting in BC and most of our problems will be eliminated.

Fisher-Dude
11-13-2009, 07:57 AM
To do that, it is necessary to have INDEPENDENT staff who KNOW what they are talking about and are not afraid to lose their jobs, thus homes and perhaps families, if they speak out in opposition to the "policy" set by those in "favour" with the adminstration.

This has NEVER happened in B.C., seldom in Canada and is not likely to begin any time soon.

That's why BC needs a Fish & Game Commissioner, independent of politicians. Penner only approves what gets votes. Ray Demarchi told me about US states that have a Game Commission and how well it works.

Devilbear
11-13-2009, 08:41 AM
We HAD a "Game Commissioner" in B.C., the first was "A.Bryan Williams" and his family still lives here. The political influence and thus the foreign influence is STILL going to be there, as these positions are by appointment by the minister or the cabinet.

The real problem is NOT the specific structure of the MOE bureaucracy, it IS the presence of foreign money and hunters in BC hunting. Get rid of that/them and our position becomes far more viable and influential.

Americans OWN many of the best GO territories at present and I do not want these Yankee bin BC; I remember all too well what they have done in the past.

WHY should some Yankee-backed GO be allowed to build log lodges in OUR "protected areas" for fat Yankee pukes to "hunt" from, when wE cannot legally erect a freakin' tent frame?

If, we restrict BC hunting to Canadians, the small, family GO operations will survive and we will have OUR hunting back, as is our RIGHT. The Yankees will not like this, well, too bad, I don't want these loudmouthed, fatazzed pricks here anyway.

huntwriter
11-13-2009, 09:52 AM
This is a big boy conversation :roll:
In that case what makes you think that your continued childish basing of other members fits in such discussion? What a cloaca.

Devilbear
11-13-2009, 09:55 AM
Othmar, just ignore the little punk as he is a "legend in his own mind" and not worth your effort.

Bowtime
11-13-2009, 10:13 AM
When they start giving residents more tags so we can reach our allocation, then I will believe they are on our side.
But for now the MOE continues to listen to the guides only excuse, "They aren't just paying for the hunt but also the Wilderness Experience".

Stone Sheep Steve
11-13-2009, 10:24 AM
Why don't you stick to talking about bass and rat deer. This is a big boy conversation :roll:

Classy comment from a classy guy:roll:.

SSS

Gunner
11-13-2009, 10:37 AM
the non residents just want to experiance canadian hunting so we should not blame them, perhaps the bcwf need a reshuffle there old fashion and out dated and i cant imagine the gov taking them seriously.Lazy BCWF?I don't think so!I would suggest that you have no idea how much work the Allocation Committee of the Fed puts into arguing with the Government regarding opportunities for Residents.It's very frustrating having MOE say one thing and do another,time after time.Rather than criticise the Fed,perhaps you could think about what YOU can do to change the MOE mindset.Written any letters lately? Gunner

Devilbear
11-13-2009, 10:55 AM
I doubt that the mindset of the current MOE bureaucrats CAN be changed as many of them come from family backgrounds in the GO industry. Remember Anna Fontana and her employment as a MOE "bio" while married to the late Robert.....? I would consider that to be a "conflict of interest" and there are others of a similar nature.

Get RID of the gawdam Yankees and their funding for the GOABC and watch things change. BTW, was Demarchi not given a horse and saddle by the GOABC, or, was it only a saddle?

Fisher-Dude
11-13-2009, 01:11 PM
I doubt that the mindset of the current MOE bureaucrats CAN be changed as many of them come from family backgrounds in the GO industry. Remember Anna Fontana and her employment as a MOE "bio" while married to the late Robert.....? I would consider that to be a "conflict of interest" and there are others of a similar nature.

Get RID of the gawdam Yankees and their funding for the GOABC and watch things change. BTW, was Demarchi not given a horse and saddle by the GOABC, or, was it only a saddle?

Any wonder why she dumped a Ft Steele garbage dump grizzly a kilometer from my camper even after I told her "WTF are you doing"? Seeding Bob's territory for next spring's hunt? That was the last frikken thing I needed beside my camper, a pissed off g-bear that just had a 4 hour ride in a culvert! :-?

willy442
11-13-2009, 02:41 PM

For your information Ray Demarchi won his saddle from a Moose Horn punch board at one of our fund raising guide conventions. Mr Demarchi and others that attended enjoyed many of our fund raising efforts. Condem them if you wish but your insinuation of bribery is as far off base as your efforts to stop nonresident hunting.

Devilbear
11-13-2009, 03:44 PM
I did NOT insinuate ...bribery... at all, however, in my opinion, NO government employee has ANY business at ANY ...fund raising...convention...where the ministry he/she is employed by is concerned, get it?

yamadirt 426
11-14-2009, 08:58 AM
I'm a new hunter this year at the age of 32 along with my wife at 24. So just getting into it I'm wondering what a GO can do for me besides take my money? Americans are all about protectionism these days and I think we should do the same. If some GO lose their job so be it, thats life. Write letters and donate to the Resident fund. I like americans, when they stay home.

Devilbear
11-14-2009, 12:29 PM
Good post, when I read this sort of commentary here, I am heartened and believe that we might yet save what is OURS for our own use. We need more younger hunters like you.

Ltbullken
11-15-2009, 11:57 AM
I don't see how promoting more GOS helps GO. Why would a person travel a couple 1000 miles , spend thosands of dollars to come hunting for a 3 point??!! :confused: Someone explain that to me... Nor do I see how it helps all of us with getting big animals. If it promotes an overall healthy population, then I support GOS.

frenchbar
11-15-2009, 12:00 PM
Good post, when I read this sort of commentary here, I am heartened and believe that we might yet save what is OURS for our own use. We need more younger hunters like you.
We need more young hunters period!