PDA

View Full Version : Goat Hunt Still Worth Going???

ufishifish2
11-11-2009, 11:33 PM
Howdy Folks,
I went for a goat hunt in mid September with no luck. Have almost finished licking my wounds and am thinking of one last kick at the can. I am sure they have come down some, but how much?? The LEH is for in around Dainard Lake (South of Golden). It is a fairly tough hunt any time. Is it worth going now? I have a group Moose LEH behind my house to fill as well. Just trying to decide where to spend my time, and have never hunted Goats this late. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Ufish

mark
11-11-2009, 11:43 PM
"Ive been told" that now is the best time to hunt goats! Awesome coats, and peak rut!

Tenacious Billy
11-11-2009, 11:47 PM
DO IT!!!! I totally agree with Mark. IMO there's not many things nicer than a shaggy billy!

Hombre
11-11-2009, 11:48 PM
I hunted goats three years ago not far from your spot in late Nov.
Spotted three in a place that the closest I could get was 1,000yds.
To dangerous to close the distance due to ice covered rocks.
They are sometimes down lower especially when in the rut ,but depends
on the terrain.They make beautiful trophies this time of year,so your call.

boxhitch
11-12-2009, 05:27 AM
You already made a trip in, what did you see ?
Were the goats too tough then ? None to make a move on ?
The hair is better now, but if you are still waiting for them to get easy, well.....
Its only a short day drive for a looksee

bowhunterbruce
11-12-2009, 05:40 AM
the goats are the around dainard lk year round and yes they would have come down,if it was me going i'd be thinking of going farther up the beaverfoot valley and driving up to the base of one of the other shutes.dainard has some pretty steep slippery rocks at this time of year and no animal or trophy is worth risking one's life for.especially when thier are way easier routes within your region to getcha up high.and there has been many times i have seen goat tracks right on the roads that take you up into the base on those hills.
take alot of water and especially take a friend.
goodluck and play safe
bruce

tomahawk
11-12-2009, 10:06 AM
Do you want the meat (moose) or trophy (goat)?? If you choose goat just be careful of the ice and slippery conditions this time of year!

dunbartr
11-12-2009, 10:21 AM
Well, since you have filled all your deer tags, (which means you've got lots of meat) and your draw is for a bull moose, which are hard to find this time of year....... I'd go for the goat if you have someone to go with you. Also depends hugely on the weather!!!! Did you see any goats when you were up their earlier?

We were back in Revy yesterday trying to fill Dad's cow draw, plus my brother has a goat draw. Snowed off and on all day and then was clear in the late afternoon. Today would have been great for goats! Lots of snow now up there though. Roger's pass hwy cam looks real snowy too, so access might be an issue??

Good luck either way.

Probably be out your way deer hunting this afternoon and/or the next couple days, maybe see you around if you are out looking for your moose. Was talking to your old man the other day..... is the draw for 3-12B?

ydouask
11-12-2009, 10:30 AM
The Goat seeing should be much easier now. The palatability is getting close to plain terrible. As for the getting, well you'll just have to go and check it out. After much experience Hunting Mountain Goats ( and a Medivac helicopter ride out many years ago), I do have a couple of MUST HAVES for Goat Hunting: a buddy, rope, and CRAMPONS. Been there.

rocksteady
11-12-2009, 10:44 AM
I am planning to try to get my goat up the Bull this weekend....

Been busy the last 3 weekends helping the same bud work on sheeeting in and roofing his huge garage.....

Plus, with what I have in the freezer, there was no real demand for meat.....

Will see what I find/get/shoot on Saturday and will post when I get back....

I do know it will probably be more difficult with teh snow, but most hunting I do is not easy...

Wild Images
11-12-2009, 12:59 PM
November billies make one of the nicest mounts you will see.
As for the meat, go to a meat shop and buy the worst looking
piece you can find. Take it home and get your mother in law to pee on it,
let that soak in for a while and cook it up. Now your getting close.
Great stuff to have on hand for all those people who want some of your FREE game meat.
They will be in the rut and in more accessable areas as long as you can get in.

bensonvalley
11-12-2009, 02:05 PM
If you still plan on going to Dainard take snowshoes. I don't think you'll be able to drive very far up the hill, we piled burned there mid (14th) of Oct and the snow had just arrived then and it's been snowing since, with big dump the last few days.

bensonvalley
11-12-2009, 02:34 PM
Here's a rough point of reference: the weather station at Kicking Horse Mtn Resort is at 2100m, Dainard is at 2000m, the weather station at the resort is reporting 70cm. Typically the Beaverfoot gets much less snow but this year I'd have to say that doesn't appear to be the case for now. 70cm seems pretty reasonable to me. I might be in that area tomorrow, I'll take a look.

ufishifish2
11-12-2009, 08:10 PM
Well, since you have filled all your deer tags, (which means you've got lots of meat) and your draw is for a bull moose, which are hard to find this time of year....... I'd go for the goat if you have someone to go with you. Also depends hugely on the weather!!!! Did you see any goats when you were up their earlier?

We were back in Revy yesterday trying to fill Dad's cow draw, plus my brother has a goat draw. Snowed off and on all day and then was clear in the late afternoon. Today would have been great for goats! Lots of snow now up there though. Roger's pass hwy cam looks real snowy too, so access might be an issue??

Good luck either way.

Probably be out your way deer hunting this afternoon and/or the next couple days, maybe see you around if you are out looking for your moose. Was talking to your old man the other day..... is the draw for 3-12B?
Hey Travis,
Yup, 3-12B. I'll be out there Friday on Radio Ch. 153.26. Maybe on the weekend as well depending upon whether we head to Golden or not. Humming and haaing a lot right now. Decisions, decisions. I love it.
Thanks to everyone who has given advice so far. Sounds like a hell of a gamble. That tasty November Goat meat sounds like it will make everything worthwhile if we are successfull.:biggrin: