PDA

View Full Version : Experinenced Bison Hunters

11-11-2009, 07:34 PM
Hey all you guys that have been fortunate enough to draw LEH before, I finally got my 1st draw this year.
On your experience, what has been the best critter to take.
I am able to take any Bison lucky enough, and always thought I would take the biggest bull possible but am beginning to re-think that. After hearing some guys statements on how tough the big boyz are, I think I'll be looking for a 3-5 year old bull with a good mass of meat, rather then a small cow or calf. I hear some of the cows are quite small but like calves are great eating, that said I also hear the big bulls are extremely tough .... even the gravy or burger.
I only plan on taking 1 Bison in my life, and do not rank them amongst my Sheep, Goat, Buck or Bull trophies, although I do look forward to a rug or european skull mount ( just don't have the money or room for Tatonka on my wall along with everything else).
What is your opinion??

Thanks
CT

quadrakid
11-11-2009, 08:40 PM
Your going to be freezing your ass off and you will shoot the first one you see!:) I have no experience hunting bison but i have heard that the really big boys are not the best table fare. Good luck on your hunt.

yama49
11-11-2009, 08:50 PM
Take the biggest bull u can find, my huntin partner took a young buff, last year. His dad talked him into it, said meat we be so much better, i am not impressed with the meat atall, the jerkey and pep is good. There is not as much meat on a buff, as one would think. just my 2 cents

Have fun

d6dan
11-11-2009, 09:06 PM
If your wanting good table fare, shoot a 1 1/2 yr old or a cow. next option would be a young bull. The one I shot was about 4 1/2 yr old and he was getting tough.. (and he was on a free range farm)

The big boys are only good for burger,sausage, and pepperoni. Eating a steak is like chewing old glove..But definately a nice Trophy!.

Caveman
11-11-2009, 09:19 PM
No such thing as a small bull. They are all huge!!

tomahawk
11-11-2009, 09:21 PM
Headed up for bison in a few days, I have shot 2 bulls before. I have taken a 1 1/2 yr old bull and a 2 1/2 yr old bull. The 2 1/2 yr old dressed out over 500 lbs and was the best wild meat I have ever tasted, I got a Rosie the same yr and we didn't touch the elk till the bison was gone, it was that good. The younger one was not as good for taste or tenderness.

d6dan
11-11-2009, 09:34 PM
I have taken a 1 1/2 yr old bull and a The 2 1/2 yr old dressed out over 500 lbs

My 4 1/2 yr old dressed out to 947lbs hanging at the bros meat shop. I'll tell you, thats alot of meat!.:wink:

partner
11-11-2009, 10:01 PM
If you don't find one, ask around you can usually buy a good eating one from the ranchers, for a decent price.

gitnadoix
11-11-2009, 10:16 PM
I got a 1 1/2 year old cow, very very very good eating, and the rug covers a king bed just fine......

David Heitsman
11-11-2009, 11:39 PM
Take a cow if you can, try to make sure she's dry. I took one in 98 maybe and it was great meat. Now the 13 yr old bull in 04 was virtually inedible.
Sure had a lot of sausage that year tho.

bridger
11-12-2009, 05:55 AM
your logic is sound. my wife shot a medium size bull when she drew her tag. meat was great, did a european skull mount that turned out great and had the fron half of the hide tanned which turned out great.

hunter1947
11-12-2009, 06:55 AM
I'm no bison hunter but If your after meat take a cow ,and if your after a trophy then go find a good size bull for your trophy room.

tomahawk
11-12-2009, 10:00 AM
My 4 1/2 yr old dressed out to 947lbs hanging at the bros meat shop. I'll tell you, thats alot of meat!.:wink:

Wow, no wonder it was a little chewy!!

d6dan
11-12-2009, 10:05 AM
Wow, no wonder it was a little chewy!!

We vacuum packed the roasts and steaks in marinade. The only way to do it..
Made a pile of burger and sausage too:wink:.

7mag700
11-12-2009, 10:54 AM
Your going to be freezing your ass off and you will shoot the first one you see!:) I have no experience hunting bison but i have heard that the really big boys are not the best table fare. Good luck on your hunt.

For a guy who's never been on a bison hunt I'd say your post is very, very accurate lol :-D

7m7

Rock Doctor
11-12-2009, 11:12 AM
I've shot 4 of them, all in the 2-3yr old range. Very good taste and plenty of meat.

If you don't find one, ask around you can usually buy a good eating one from the ranchers, for a decent price.

If you opt to go this route, I hear that the price has come up in the last couple yrs. About $600 for non-trophy animal.

partner
11-12-2009, 11:59 AM
I didn't mean to ask if you could shoot one. The last time I was up there buffalo was going for 100 an animal.

Rock Doctor
11-12-2009, 01:51 PM
I didn't mean to ask if you could shoot one. The last time I was up there buffalo was going for 100 an animal.

They can get more than $100 from the dog food manufacturers. If you can get them for that, get on it:-D

JPY
11-12-2009, 07:01 PM
well I just got back and the animals are all back (in area B) would have been happy to see one though, they were crossing the river at the ranch to get them...........if you see one...Shoot...eat latter