PDA

View Full Version : Mulie Hunter Migration from Reg 8 to Reg 3

boxhitch
11-11-2009, 09:53 AM
Well, its that time of year again for me. Not for the lack of trying the last few days, but it didn't come together for me , so off to the Three-stands.
Its kind of nice that our good neighbours to the north and west have a later season, obliging hunters like myself:icon_frow that take longer to get it done.
Move over boys, here we come.

WoodOx
11-11-2009, 09:58 AM
I can mirror that, however from the past 4 days hunting out there, something is up. absolutley horrible deer numbers compared to past 2 years... possibly due to early snow?

David Heitsman
11-11-2009, 10:00 AM
I can see the headlights from here! The gas stations will be doing a box office business the next few days too.

Hope you get a good one BH. I'm zero on deer this year so far.

bruin
11-11-2009, 10:39 AM
A quick trip to Alberta and then I'll be headed for 3 as well. Just couldn't get lucky on Reg 8 bucks.

4 point
11-11-2009, 11:05 AM
Clearwater, Clearwater that's where all the 4 point bucks in reg 3 are.......don't tell anybody.

fozzy
11-11-2009, 01:17 PM
Hmmm, I've been thinking of doing just that. It's a tough decision, still debating on heading to Sask again after the Kettle valley like last year....
I wonder if they would ever extend the Reg8 dates?

BCrams
11-11-2009, 01:23 PM
I can mirror that, however from the past 4 days hunting out there, something is up. absolutley horrible deer numbers compared to past 2 years... possibly due to early snow?

I heard a rumour about high snow levels last spring and predation claimed a good number of mule deer.

4 point: Clearwater, Clearwater that's where all the 4 point bucks in reg 3 are.......don't tell anybody.

Where have you been? Everyone and their dog knows Clearwater has a big buck behind every tree :roll:

There's a lot of hype. I've hunted hard down in Region 3 for 4 years and I still havn't shot a big buck yet :-|

johnny cabbage
11-11-2009, 02:36 PM
all the deer in clearwater have been killed, so i hear...

fin241
11-11-2009, 02:38 PM
The region won't just be seeing an influx of hunters from 8. Region 5 is shut down for 10 days right now. I know of lots of guys making the trek into 3 in search of that elusive big buck, including myself....

Jelvis
11-11-2009, 02:45 PM
Better get over to the Clearwater area before the three Hah mee goece shoot them all. lol.
dcrams, the stevies and mattP will be camping somewhere lol --
Jel -- boneorfoggyhorn-peavine-avola-greenmtn-ollie-littlefort-starlake-mcorvie-3-41-3-39-3-40-3-43 bucksbucksbucksmcmacmcClellanloloh forgot -3-30-3-38-3-37where's Feste$$

frenchbar
11-11-2009, 03:05 PM
The region won't just be seeing an influx of hunters from 8. Region 5 is shut down for 10 days right now. I know of lots of guys making the trek into 3 in search of that elusive big buck, including myself.... reg 3 is huge ..you wont even notice ...the few extras..
unless your all heading to Scottie Creek:mrgreen:

sapper
11-11-2009, 03:30 PM
Better get over to the Clearwater area before the three Hah mee goece shoot them all. lol.
dcrams, the stevies and mattP will be camping somewhere lol --
Jel -- boneorfoggyhorn-peavine-avola-greenmtn-ollie-littlefort-starlake-mcorvie-3-41-3-39-3-40-3-43 bucksbucksbucksmcmacmcClellanloloh forgot -3-30-3-38-3-37where's Feste$$
Jelvis, could you please provide the key to solving this riddle. :wink:

Prowler
11-11-2009, 04:07 PM
Jelvis, could you please provide the key to solving this riddle. :wink:

its called "Crack":neutral:

gutpile
11-11-2009, 04:48 PM
i just got back from princeton i spent 4days up there and saw only 7 does and one spike it was terrible one foot of snow very few tracks something not right

ufishifish2
11-11-2009, 05:12 PM
If ya gotta hunt, ya gotta hunt. I totally get it. I hunt Region 3 almost every day, in one way or another. Today was definately one of the busiest I have seen this year. The fresh snow made it obvious. There were multiple tracks, either tire tracks, or foot prints on every road and spur. Crazy! Welcome all. Just lemme know if you see a bull moose in 3-12B. Damn buggers have been avoiding me very well thus far!!

twoSevenO
11-11-2009, 05:59 PM
i just got back from princeton i spent 4days up there and saw only 7 does and one spike it was terrible one foot of snow very few tracks something not right

I was up for two days around Rampart lake. A few hunters, a few tracks, a few does. Zero bucks, somethings definitely not right lol.

WoodOx
11-11-2009, 06:47 PM
I think BCRams might be onto something. not to mention the 2+ feet of snow that is not usually around, the deer that mabye did not get impacted by high snow levels/predation may have moved into winter range a bit early?

Buckmeister
11-11-2009, 07:34 PM
I didn't even bother mulie hunting in reg 8 this year as I drew a whitetail doe tag in 8 and I also hunt WT bucks there, so that ties up my 2 deer limit for reg 8. However.......I haven't scored on anything yet.....The spot I want to go to in Reg 3 for Mulies is starting to get snowed on and might be too deep to even access soon. But...I do have a secret spot as well that has some decent Mulies in it that is lower down and is accessable through my friends private property so it is somewhat exclusive....it serves as my backup plan.

boxhitch
11-12-2009, 05:56 AM
I can mirror that, however from the past 4 days hunting out there, something is up. absolutley horrible deer numbers compared to past 2 years... possibly due to early snow?The area I hunt had the normal amount of snow. It came down a couple of weeks ago, with little more since. There was lots of sign in that old snow, and it had some melt-freeze that set up a hard crust, making it noisy. At one point I though t all the deer had moved down, then started following a fresh track. He showed me where everyone was hiding out.
Closest I came to success was following tree-root rack floating around through the regen. Might have to buy a crossbow.

boxhitch
11-12-2009, 05:59 AM
......The spot I want to go to in Reg 3 for Mulies is starting to get snowed on and might be too deep to even access soon. ......Not many spots are free of vehicle tracks now I imagine, should slow down in a couple of weeks. The boys still handle the ball-deep snow.

boxhitch
11-12-2009, 06:01 AM
Just lemme know if you see a bull moose in 3-12B. Damn buggers have been avoiding me very well thus far!!I'll keep an eye out.
Then will send pics when I fill my tag :)

Nooker77
11-12-2009, 10:37 AM
Well reg.8 seemed to have as many wolf tracks in the fresh white stuff as deer tracks! Spent the last 2 days and only cut 4 sets of freshies lots of boot and tire tracks as well! Numbers are down I'm sure...my honey hole had a few does...I've seen 50 deer in there in a day before....scratching my head...waiting for bow season and hoping for the best! Reg 3 will be sing you a few times for sure!!

sparkymacker
11-12-2009, 02:11 PM
I think BCRams might be onto something. not to mention the 2+ feet of snow that is not usually around, the deer that mabye did not get impacted by high snow levels/predation may have moved into winter range a bit early?

I did not get out Muley hunting much this year and I am just looking to put meat in the freezer when I do, but quite a few guys I know who are normally successful did not have any luck this year. Areas that normally hold deer this time of year have zero tracks.

boxhitch
11-12-2009, 10:48 PM
Areas that normally hold deer this time of year have zero tracks.I would disagree. The 3 main areas I hunt never have held lots of deer nor do I see bands of bucks. But the sign that I did see was the usual for the area in the last five years I know of. All high levels, with the first snow three weeks ago, as usual.
I can't speak for the low winter range herds.

valleycowboy
11-13-2009, 05:54 AM
the areas i have been hunting the last week....the number of does are the same as usual but haven't seen many bucks. i usually see quite a few smaller bucks but this year the numbers seem low. we did see three cats chasing deer in this area.might have something to do with it. whoooo knows.....nature is a funny thing,lol.

Fisher-Dude
11-13-2009, 06:31 AM
I've never seen so many mule deer before in both 3 and 8. I'm tagged out on mulies in both regions. Now, while hunting whiteys, I'm seeing mulies everywhere. It's a bumper crop! :-D

boxhitch
11-13-2009, 08:25 PM
Someone seeding the ditches with oats ?

sarnold
11-13-2009, 10:31 PM
from my point of veiw there is lost of mullies around in 8 (buddy just got a double header on wed with a couple youth) and I know of 5 other larger than avarage mullies taken around vernon
but I did spend a short while in 3 and didn't see a dam thing! (except inside of douglas lake ranch fences!!)
non the less I will be spending a couple days in 3 since I have tagged one in 8 already

GoatGuy
11-14-2009, 06:21 AM
Someone seeding the ditches with oats ?

alfalfa...........

boxhitch
11-16-2009, 12:17 PM
Buckwheats buddy ?
What was the dogs name ?